• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nave

Of course everybody has different preferences in Pokemon but I actually have to be careful that I don't have too many water Pokemon in my team, since I like so many of the Alolan ones....

I actually have a problem that, except for Inceneroar, there is no Fire Pokemon that strikes my fancy. And I'm already choosing ther majesty, the Glamour-Queen Primarina, so no Inceneroar for me and no fire Pokemon either :-/

Water and Grass Pokémon seem amazing this time around. Kind of weird that we have Sun, but so little in the way of Fire Pokémon. Although Alolan Marowak is a lock for me because I can put it next to Tapu Koko, Vikavolt, Alolan Raichu, or Alolan Golem.

Edit: Salandit is also a lock. One of my favourite designs ever. Love it's evo too.

DracosWulfgar

what ever........
I really hope though that the Arcanine form is true, but there are alot of new forms that I like(alola Ninetails).
Hopefully though that they didn't forget new formes for other gens in S/M.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
all i know about the regionals... is I can't choose between them so I'll basically not be looking at any areas what so ever for them and I'll be using whoever I catch first and seemingly first into my team! Pumped to find out who those shall be :D

Cerex

Alolan Exeggutor looks like a fun Pokemon with an interesting design. I'm looking forward to having him on my team.
Same. At first it was kind of odd, but it's been steadily growing on me as a Pokemon. The typing is still kind of weird, but that only adds to its charm.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I really hope though that the Arcanine form is true, but there are alot of new forms that I like(alola Ninetails).
Hopefully though that they didn't forget new formes for other gens in S/M.
They've already confirmed in an interview that Alolan forms are only for gen 1 pokemon, basically meant to be a gift to fans of the original games.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Alolan Diglet actually looks a little cool..... I still find the design for Alolan Diglet/Dugtrio lazy though. All it is is slapping hair onto the species and calling it a "new" form.

Even though we didn't get Fire/Ground as a lot were speculating, Ground/Steel is still a decent ability for Alolan Dugtrio. Steel typing adds a couple of extra advantages. For one, the ground weakness to ice and grass are removed. Then there are the extra resistances. Sure you gain a weakness to fire, fighting, and ground, but now poison is an immunity (damage and the status condition save for Salandit), and you also gain resistance to a bunch of other powerful types such as dragon, psychic, and fairy. It feels like a fair trade off.

Also, as I mentioned a couple of weeks back, I'm glad that the Alolan Dugtrio line got a different ability instead of retaining Arena Trap. Arena Trap is the niche of Kanto Dugtrio and should remain as such. Even with regional variants, I don't want to pick one form and feel like I picked the wrong one.

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
The story for alolan diglett and dugtrio is pretty interesting but I still think they look ridiculous XD

Red and Blue

Honestly I'm a bit surprised the secondary type was steel. I was expecting Fairy based on the hair

BlitzGirl41

Alolan Dugtrio is officially one of my least favorite of the Alolan forms. I mean...HAIR...Golden hair... Designs like these make me feel ashamed to be a Pokemon fan. I'll pretend this ugly monstrosity doesn't exist (that and all Ultra Beasts. Awful.)

sketchersmeargle

Alolan Dugtrio is officially one of my least favorite of the Alolan forms. I mean...HAIR...Golden hair... Designs like these make me feel ashamed to be a Pokemon fan. I'll pretend this ugly monstrosity doesn't exist (that and all Ultra Beasts. Awful.)

bit melodramatic aren't we....

for what its based off of, where its located and overall what they wre trying to go for..it works.

If you don't like all you have to say is "I don't like it" and keep the theatrics out.

Froakin' Koga

You do know that the hair is based on hardened lava called Pele's Hair right? And that Alolan digletts and dugtrios simply live on volcanic rock where Pele's Hair is common. So for the design team to take this natural phenomenon and twist it into actual hair for a beach boy look is a pretty good design in my opinion.

Orphalesion

On fairy Pokemon having Hair...I think Guardevoir and Primarina are the only ones, yeah it's not really a Fairy Type "characteristic". I'm quite glad the ugly thing isn't Fairy Typed

You do know that the hair is based on hardened lava called Pele's Hair right?

So? People keep bringing that up every few pages...if someone doesn't like the design this little "fun-fact" is not likely to change that opinion.

Analogy Time: Imagine three history students dress up in red feather cloaks, go over to their lecturer's house and poop on his breakfast table while shrieking in high pitched voices. They then give a (well written, very informative) speech about how this is inspired by the Harpies tormenting King Phineus and the speech delves into how the Harpies relate tot the three baleful moons in Egyptian and Phoenician folklore of the time.

Does that change the fact that there's poop on the table?

Status
Not open for further replies.