• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JW1004

It would be cool if they would give a regional variant to a Pokémon that completely changes his purpose. Even though I know it won't happen, it would be interesting. Like a Shuckle or a Wobbuffet, with a brand new design and altered or new typing, it would give a whole new meaning and way of using a pokémon that we have used in battles in a certain way.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
It would be cool if they would give a regional variant to a Pokémon that completely changes his purpose. Even though I know it won't happen, it would be interesting. Like a Shuckle or a Wobbuffet, with a brand new design and altered or new typing, it would give a whole new meaning and way of using a pokémon that we have used in battles in a certain way.

Ninetales could be an example for it, no?

I'd personally like to see a puppy Pokemon to have a regional variant that would evolve to a different kind of dog-breed, like Lillipup. What a great sight it'd be to have different Stoutland breeds, or an Ice-type Lycanroc as an arctic fox.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
My hope for regional variants is that there stats would be way different as well. Kinda like:

But more so in there BST distribution. Like actually redistribute the stats, or just move totals around. Making stuff like, a special attacking Sandslash, or a slow and bulky Dugtrio. Along with type and ability changes.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
But more so in there BST distribution. Like actually redistribute the stats, or just move totals around. Making stuff like, a special attacking Sandslash, or a slow and bulky Dugtrio. Along with type and ability changes.
Yeah, one issue I had with Alola forms was their stat distributions were very similar or even the same as their Kanto counterparts, which restricted the possibilities that one could utilise with the Pokémon species as a whole. So if Game Freak does reintroduce regional variants this time, I hope that they have drastic stat distribution changes like a special Gyarados, physical Alakazam, etc.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Ledian would be a good candidate for a stat overhaul. Its design somewhat resembles a boxer, so play that up, make it Bug/Fighting, and then change around its stats to make it more offensively oriented. That would turn it into something completely different that would be much more viable than being stuck with a defensive stat distribution with one of the worst defensive typings ever.

Sprinter1988

TBH, they don't actually need to limit variation to just one region. Why can't we catch ground type Sandshrew in the desert and ice/steel Sandshrew in a snowy area, but still within the same region?

If I use Noctowl in Johto as an example, Noctowl that are evolved from Hoothoot caught on grassy roads like Route 29, 30, 31 etc could be the standard Normal/Flying types, Noctowl caught in the Ilex Forest or the routes around Ecruteak City could be Ghost/Flying, more resembling the Rufous Owl of Australia, and Noctowl caught near Ice Path could be Ice/Flying, more resembling the Snowy Owl

As for other variant ideas...

1) How about an electric/fighting variant of Raichu, with an emphasis on kicking moves. I mean, look at Raichu's feet and tell me that thing shoundn't be using Jump Kick, Hi Jump Kick, Blaze Kick, Mega Kick etc.
2) A water/steel variants of Krabby and Kingler. Make and area where mining for iron ore has taken place and as a result Krabby living in a nearby river system have developed the steel typing from accidentally consuming metallic substances that have been washed into the water way every time it rains.
3) Fairy/Flying variants of Hoppip, Skiploom and Jumpluff.
4) Poison/Ground variants of Skorupi and Drapion
5) Dragon/Water variants of Gible, Gabite and Garchomp - make them a bit more fish-like, losing claws from their limbs and making the fins dominant. Lore could be they are a relic population of how Gible, Gabite and Garchomp originally were before developing the ability to walk on land.
6) Water/Poison variants of Mantyke and Mantine - in terms of designn basically merge them with the Bluespotted Ribbontail Ray, especially in terms of colour and adding a stringer on the tail. These pokemon live in the same waterways as the dragon/water variants of Gible, Gabite and Garchomp, so they developed the poison typing in order to deter these predators.
7) Water/Poison variant of Octillery - for the same reasons as the Mantyke/Mantine change
8) Rock variant of Castform... ok, not exactly in the same vein here, but it's long past time this thing got a Sandstorm form!
9) Fighting/Fire variant of Granbull - I'm not sure why, I just wanna see it!
10) Fighting/Flying variant of Staraptor

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I think regional variants will stay in Alola/Gen 7. Gen 8 will have something new.Maybe that Ultra thing, new type maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.