• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional variants you'd like to see

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Regional Dragonite or Luxray.

I've always kind of thought the Luxray line should've been Electric/Dark (before the type combo was actually used in Gen 8 with Morpeko), because they can learn Bite and Crunch, they have X-ray vision to see in the dark (and knowing most Dark-types, X-ray vision could be handy in getting the upper hand over their opponents), and they have a kind of "dark" look about them, especially with Luxray. If any more Hisuian variants are announced, maybe a few Gen 4 Pokémon could get some variants which could sort of be how they used to look in the past before they went through evolution in the real-life sense.

Also, the fact that different starters are used in Hisui implies that the modern-day Sinnoh starters - Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup - were not originally native to Sinnoh, and instead were imported in from another region by either Professor Rowan or his ancestors. If GF decides to give a new twist to the existing starters, the modern-day Sinnoh starters could have variants alluding to their non-nativeness. (This could also work with Pokémon who are said to have come from another region to the ones they were introduced in, such as Corphish, Yungoos and the Cufant line.)

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Out of the psuedo-legendaries the Dreepy line probably has the most justification for a regional variant because we know its current form isn't what it originally had. It went extinct and came back as a ghost. So there's two potential regional variants; a fossil version(either restored with a fossil or just a living fossil like Relicanth) that'd be Dragon/Rock, and a living version who'd I presume would be Dragon/Water. Hey, we have Pokemon based on dinosaurs who aren't fossil Pokemon so they could easily say "well they only went extinct and/or became ghosts in some areas like Galar". Galar kind of did the reverse with Corsola.

A close second to a pseduo-legendary who'd fit the regional form is the Deino line. They were supposed to be cyborg tanks, so that's an easy Steel/Dragon variant. And if they keep Levitate it'd be nothing short of terrifying. If Germany becomes a Pokemon region I'd suggest they pull out the concept there, if only for the sweet name theming

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I feel that Beartic should get a regional variant. ngl, its regular design is boring. Since Cubchoo has a cold and snuffly nose, a Ice/Poison variant that spreads the common cold would make a lot of sense

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I like the trope of Meowth getting a regional form for every consecutive region starting from Gen 7 and I think that they should keep it going. I know that some people are a little critical of this, so it's just my opinion.

It makes sense because if you think about it Meowth kind of acts like the domestic cat of the Pokémon World. So naturally, it being brought over to other regions may have caused it to change by adapting or by being bred in specific ways.

If there is ever an Egypt based region, I would like to see Meowth with the Psychic Type and take on the appearance of an Egyptian Mau. Like in the real world, I could see Meowths being worshipped there.

There are several domestic cat breeds that Meowth could take in the near future, some of them are pretty interesting.

For example there is the Dragon Li which originates from China, that could go as far as having the Dragon type.

As of now, all the Meowth variants share a common weakness, which is Fighting type. An ice type Meowth and Perrserker would round things out beautifully.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
One that'd make sense is Durant. We know that the Steel typing isn't natural, but an armor it wears in a (horribly misplayed) attempt to defend against Heatmor. So they could have a region where there's only Durant instead of Heatmor, justifying them not wearing their armor. Maybe they'd be Bug/Ground, which'd make their choice at defense even funnier

Rune Knight

As of now, all the Meowth variants share a common weakness, which is Fighting type. An ice type Meowth and Perrserker would round things out beautifully.

Heheh a common weakness would make for a pretty nice and original way to tie all of the Meowths together.

So I guess a rock type Meowth could also work if it were to be thrown in that direction.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
So an unga bunga caveman Meowth?
Ooh ooh an unga bunga caveman Meowth and Perrserker, then…

An ice type Meowth with a branched evolution; it can either become a beautiful special attaching Persian or an “abominable snowman” physical tank Perrserker :)

And then we save the other types for Skitty or Glameow lol.

Monox D. I-Fly

One that'd make sense is Durant. We know that the Steel typing isn't natural, but an armor it wears in a (horribly misplayed) attempt to defend against Heatmor. So they could have a region where there's only Durant instead of Heatmor, justifying them not wearing their armor. Maybe they'd be Bug/Ground, which'd make their choice at defense even funnier
A Bug/Fire Durant based on fire ants or a Bug/Dark Durant based on bullet ants.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
So I've been teasing this regional Eevee for a while now, might as well post what I've got so far. The more I think about it, though, there may actually already be a Pokemon who accomplishes this goal: bonus points if you can guess it ;)

So the idea I have is basically to take everything we know about "Eevee" and flip it on its head. The base form is pure Fighting-type, and for a regional form there's not much to distinguish it from the Eevee we're all familiar with. It has slightly longer legs and a more sleek torso, and its fur is arranged on its head to look like a headband of sorts.

This variant Eevee only has one Evolution, Scrappeon, but the catch is that it consists of four possible forms. Once Eevee evolves, the form cannot be changed. I was inspired by other Pokemon that compare and contrast evolution and form change to play with established tropes - namely Wishiwashi vs. Magikarp/Gyarados and Toxtricity vs. Flapple/Appletun.

All of Scrappeon's forms look similar, essentially a Flareon but brown and with Eevee's wider eyes and expression, though each form has its own cosmetic differences. Through an in-game mechanic involving an Eevee dojo, Scrappeon can be:
Weapon Master form - Steel/Fighting - holds a kunai in its mouth
Tool Crafter form - Rock/Fighting - bits of rock scattered amongst its fur
Ruff and Tumble form - Ground/Fighting - surrounded by a dust cloud, its stance is more crouched down than its other forms
Nostalgic form - Normal/Fighting - fluffier overall

So, again, the Eevee concept is turned on its head. Multiple forms instead of multiple Eeveelutions, dual type instead of single, "physical" types instead of "special". Can it even be considered part of the Eevee family anymore? And yet, it still feels comfortably familiar and right at home amongst its "brethren". More analysis is needed at this time....

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
A Misdreavus that resembles Medusa’s head would be interesting to see. I’m thinking it would be a Ghost/Poison type with Levitate and it is a dark green color with lighter green snakes that can attack on their own. It’d evolve into a regional variant of Mismagius which is the same shade of green but the snakes are now cobras and combine themselves to create the illusion of Mismagius wearing an elaborate headpiece.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
A Misdreavus that resembles Medusa’s head would be interesting to see. I’m thinking it would be a Ghost/Poison type with Levitate and it is a dark green color with lighter green snakes that can attack on their own. It’d evolve into a regional variant of Mismagius which is the same shade of green but the snakes are now cobras and combine themselves to create the illusion of Mismagius wearing an elaborate headpiece.
Would the snakes resemble any other snake Pokemon we have right now? That'd be a fun callback ;)

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
Here are some ideas from a region I made ages ago based on South Africa
Regional Poochyena line based on Spotted Hyenas, (Ground/Dark)
Regional Glameow line based on Servals/Cheetahs (Normal/Electric)
Regional Rhyhorn line with a sad backstory about the atrocities of poaching (Rock/Ghost)
Regional Doduo Line based on Marabou Storks (Ghost/Flying)
Regional Sandile Line based on how crocodiles kinda look like floating logs to unsuspecting prey (Water/Grass)
Regional Yungoos line based on Meerkats (Ground/Normal)

Last edited:

Latmius

I would like to see a dragon/water dragonite with an art closer to dragonair. I always thought it was weird how a serpent turned into a derpy dragon

Lucariomen

I would really like:

Phantump and Trevenant - Ice/Ghost, I'd really like to have the pre-Phantump to put it lightly, to possess an icecube.

Swirlix and Slurpuff - Fairy/Ice, instead of whipped cream, this Pokémon is now ice cream!

Swirlix and Slurpuff - Fairy/Ground, based on the children's game of "baking mud pies".

Spritzee and Aromatisse - Fairy/Grass, inspired on flower bushes and vegan cosmetics.

Spritzee and Aromatisse - Fairy/Poison, diving deeper into the plague doctor persona.

Foongus and Amoonguss - Grass/Psychic or Psychic/Poison, based on Magic Mushrooms.

Finneon and Lumineon - Water/Bug or Water/Fairy, exploring Lumineon's origins: the beautiful butterfly fish.

Snorunt, Glalie and Froslass - Rock/Grass (Rock/Ghost for Froslass), "tropicalified" Ice-Types seems kind of awesome. Inspired by hawaiian totem stuff, and even though Froslass loses her Grass-Type, she'd still have a lot of Grass stuff.

Budew, Roselia and Roserade - Grass/Fighting, no inspiration at all, I just wanted to see an aggressive Roserade line. I imagine them using its flowers to calm down its foes, and then blast a Trop Kick in its face (Tsareena lost her signature move).

Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir and Gallade - Ghost/Dark (Ghost/Fairy for Gallade), remember the entry that says "Gardevoir will do anything to protect its trainer"? Well, let's just say she saved someone who didn't even care about her? Instead of her creating black holes, she IS a black hole, her heart is empty and abandoned all kindness. Inspired on Swan Lake (the good side being regular Gardevoir, and the bad side being this Gardevoir). The reason why Gallade is Ghost/Fairy is because he learned that there will be some evil people, but there will be other people that will always see the light - he regained his kind heart, his Fairy-Type, and his motives to fight for its trainer, even after death.

Yanma and Yanmega - Dragon-Fairy, mixing two of the popular fairytale stereotypes together. Dragonflies are the perfect animal to represent both.

Sunkern and Sunflora - Grass-Fire, putting the SUN in SUNflower.

Staryu and Starmie - Fire/Psychic, exploring the extraterrestrial side of those Pokémon.

Happiny, Chansey and Blissey - Ghost/Fairy, just would be cool of having the idea of a Ghost Healer.

Exeggcute and Exeggutor - Grass/Electric, inspired on energy-powered, shiny christmas tree decorations, and Exeggutor IS a Christmas Tree. It would be nice to have a christmas Pokémon that doesn't scream ICE in both of your ears.

Voltorb and Electrode - Water/Electric, just a beach ball, but it would mean a world to those neglected (sadly for me to admit, for a pretty good reason) Pokémon.

Gastly, Haunter and Gengar - Ghost/Water, inspired on spirits that hide on the mist.

Drowzee and Hypno - Ground/Fairy, flipping the dream side of the coin from nightmares to dreams, and who's better than the Sandman fairytale to represent good dreams?

Bellsprout, Weepinbell and Victreebel - Grass/Fire, pepper. No need to say anything else. Just pepper.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I imagine it's going to be quite a while until they make regional variants for these Pokemon, but I'd still be interested
  • Pyukumuku: Being the only sea cucumber Pokemon, I feel if they ever introduce the pearlfish they should introduce a regional variant of Pyukumuku that incorporates it. Basically, have an evolution which is an actual combatant due to having the pearlfish inside of it, like how Shellder bonds to Slowpoke, but like Mantyke you'd actually need the symbiote on the party. I'd go Poison/Water for regional variant Pyukumuku, and Poison/Fighting for its evolution
  • Pikipek: I can see a regional variant where Pikipek keeps being a woodpecker instead of suddenly becoming Toucan Sam. Maybe Fighting/Flying? They could have this Pikipek variant also serve as an early bird, preferably in a South American region
  • Why Sandyghast didn't get a Ghost/Rock castle variant in Galar, I'll never know. I guess it's because it's too recent a Pokemon, but a European region could do with one
  • I may have mentioned it previously, but as Dreepy's status as a Ghost type isn't its base state(it went extinct) there's clear room for a non-extinct Dreepy line in another region
  • I wanna see a Rolycoly variant which evolves into an electric train. And what Applin would become if it didn't have an apple
  • If they make an Italian region, Falinks has to show up. But it'd be interesting if like with Zigzagoon they have a regional variant of Falinks there that is in-universe the original Falinks

Lucariomen

Some more Pokémon I would like to have regional variants are:

Sandygast and Palossand: Rock-Ghost, as @RedJirachi said, an actual castle Palossand line would be perfect.

Gothita, Gothorita and Gothitelle: Psychic-Water, inspired on beach fashion. I just want another another Psychic-Water other than Starmie. They missed an opportunity with Manaphy, I TELL YOU!

Togepi, Togetic and Togekiss: Ghost-Fairy, diving deeper into the "angelic" basis that Togekiss has.

Smoochum and Jynx: Fire-Psychic or Fire-Dark, in japanese, Jynx's Lovely Kiss is not so lovely; its name is Devil Kiss. So... exploring little details is one of the many things that make Pokémon worth knowing!

Shellder and Cloyster: Rock-Ice, they're bivalves, so its easy to get the idea.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I want a regional frog Pokemon. I don't care what type, and for the most part, I don't care what the lore about it is, but I really want one.

Maybe with all these Hisuian forms based on Unovian Pokemon, maybe something will happen to Seismitoad.