• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Relationships - BFs/GFs/crushes

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
No, No and No

Hope you realized you just talked down to an Administrator.

I'm saving getting a girlfriend until sixth form or university; they're too much hassle, and at this stage they have no value. Jeremy's line from Peep Show sums it up best:

"She'll get bored of him, just like she got bored of me."

Gibbers

Relationships are pointless. Marriage ruins your life.

I did have a girlfriend once. But she was quickly replaced when I found out LG do a dishwasher that doesn't talk.

drtomoe123

Died A Jew
Honestly, for most of us, there's no hope in ever finding "the one," so wasting our time with people who don't really love us is kinda pointless.
I'll just sit here at my computer playing WoW and Left4Dead.

There's no hope if you're gonna damn yourself before you even start.

Relationships are pointless. Marriage ruins your life.

I did have a girlfriend once. But she was quickly replaced when I found out LG do a dishwasher that doesn't talk.
Rather negative aren't we considering the fact that you've only gone out with one girl?

The girl I'm going out with right now, I've met about a year and a half ago. I was reluctant at it first but when we got to know each other a little better, it's like all those romantic movies, we fell in love. :D
She's also my best friend so that's a plus along with me getting along with her family way more than a typical bf does.

~@};-

Profesco

gone gently
Anyway, I'm keeping my love interests closed until I move and start collage, which will be soon, and I haven't had any crushes in a while, since all of the people in my school are younger then me, and they all look the same.

That's what I did, too. Staving off girlfriends and the like until I felt I was responsibly and financially able to support a relationship - free time, date money, gift money, car and licence, et cetera. And that involves a certain prerequisite level of academic accomplishment. I focused on nothing but school all my life and never had any problems with interest or crushes or anything significant.

I whole-heartedly believe it's a reasonable and responsible way to go. It also gives you more time to develop mentally and emotionally before having that first relationship. More preparation is never a negative. =)

Here's my boyfriend. Ya'll know you're jealous.
http://i41.*******.com/25qq3xv.jpg

His milkshake brings all the Decepticons to the yaaard.

I would disagree with anyone who says that relationships before highschool are pointless. I know that I would be a completely different person if I had never had that first heartbreak that early in my life.
I also know that if it weren't for all the messy break-ups I went through, I wouldn't be so thick-skinned. The meaningless elementary school relationships are what make me who I am today.

Not pointless, no... but certainly not significant, either. There isn't any maturity, and grasp of the meaning, any real level or understanding of commitment, not even really all that much you can do in elementary school (unless you plan on ending up on the Jerry Springer show ten years down the road).

I'll grant you, developing a thick skin is actually really useful and convenient, but phrasing it as "The meaningless elementary school relationships are what make me who I am today," is a bit enthusiastic. ^_^;

Not pointless, no... but certainly not significant, either. There isn't any maturity, and grasp of the meaning, any real level or understanding of commitment, not even really all that much you can do in elementary school (unless you plan on ending up on the Jerry Springer show ten years down the road).

I'll grant you, developing a thick skin is actually really useful and convenient, but phrasing it as "The meaningless elementary school relationships are what make me who I am today," is a bit enthusiastic. ^_^;
That is only if the person you've been going out with can't act mature. You can't just say that "There isn't any maturity, and grasp of the meaning, any real level or understanding of commitment" since some people have gone through harder times than many of us have to begin with.

Granted, however, the whole no maturity thing is true for most people who haven't gone to high school in the first place. QUALIFIER.

~@};-

Last edited:
but phrasing it as "The meaningless elementary school relationships are what make me who I am today," is a bit enthusiastic. ^_^;
That's what I was going for =]

drtomoe123

Died A Jew
That is only if the person you've been going out with can't act mature. You can't just say that "There isn't any maturity, and grasp of the meaning, any real level or understanding of commitment" since some people have gone through harder times than many of us have to begin with.

~@};-

Yeah, I agree with this. I've come to the conclusion that I have NO business judging other people's relationships with other people. I can barely understand myself...what makes me think that I can understand the complexities of completely different people? There are so many layers...you'll just end up being wrong in the end.

Think Togepi

Here I Am.
Relationships in middle school and high school, are usually a waste of time. Because do you really think you're going to marry the person? That most likely won't happen.
But I'm not saying ALL relationships are pointless.

But to be honest. I'll stick to my hand. It doesn't talk, and does ABOUT the same job. haha.

Profesco

gone gently

Granted, however, the whole no maturity thing is true for most people who haven't gone to high school in the first place. QUALIFIER.

~@};-

Yeah, I agree with this. I've come to the conclusion that I have NO business judging other people's relationships with other people. I can barely understand myself...what makes me think that I can understand the complexities of completely different people? There are so many layers...you'll just end up being wrong in the end.

Oh no, not to judge the relationship itself. Just to remind everyone that a ten year-old is simply mentally incapable of committing to a romantic relationship, or even grasping what one truly is. Brain development, folks- can't understand without it.

And to be honest, relationships are eternally complex and dynamic, aren't they? I'd imagine we're lucky if we can fully grasp what a relationship is when we're fifty. ^_^;

That's what I was going for =]

Aha! You got me, then. XD

Relationships in middle school and high school, are usually a waste of time. Because do you really think you're going to marry the person? That most likely won't happen.
My dad's best friend started dating his wife in grade 7.

Oh no, not to judge the relationship itself. Just to remind everyone that a ten year-old is simply mentally incapable of committing to a romantic relationship, or even grasping what one truly is. Brain development, folks- can't understand without it.

And to be honest, relationships are eternally complex and dynamic, aren't they? I'd imagine we're lucky if we can fully grasp what a relationship is when we're fifty. ^_^;

Wouldn't it be easier to say that the "perfect" relationships are only for the rich who have way too much time on their hands? lol

I saw and knew your point though. Even kids who grew up knowing and loving each other thinking they'll eventually get married, statistics show it is against them these days. And can you believe it? People say faith is a factor. haha

~@};-

dark rift

That's what I did, too. Staving off girlfriends and the like until I felt I was responsibly and financially able to support a relationship - free time, date money, gift money, car and licence, et cetera. And that involves a certain prerequisite level of academic accomplishment. I focused on nothing but school all my life and never had any problems with interest or crushes or anything significant.

I whole-heartedly believe it's a reasonable and responsible way to go. It also gives you more time to develop mentally and emotionally before having that first relationship. More preparation is never a negative. =)

To be honest, I think a lot of the time the more relationships you have, before you fully mature mentally (which I'd say is when you don't over obsess, and easily get jealous of your bf/gf) alters the way you think about, and perceive relationships, and if you go too quickly you don't see the complexities of a relationship and how it affects you mentally, as well as how it affects them mentally, rather then it being just some popularity contest to get the fittest girl in the school to show to all your mates like a car. Otherwise you'll just keep looking or the best car out there, which makes you're love life shit because you keep selling the car that you have then buy a new car whenever you think one looks better then your current. Until you find out you'll be car hopping for ages and coming out as an asshole.

To be honest, I think a lot of the time the more relationships you have, before you fully mature mentally (which I'd say is when you don't over obsess, and easily get jealous of your bf/gf) alters the way you think about, and perceive relationships, and if you go too quickly you don't see the complexities of a relationship and how it affects you mentally, as well as how it affects them mentally, rather then it being just some popularity contest to get the fittest girl in the school to show to all your mates like a car. Otherwise you'll just keep looking or the best car out there, which makes you're love life shit because you keep selling the car that you have then buy a new car whenever you think one looks better then your current. Until you find out you'll be car hopping for ages and coming out as an asshole.

The trick is, if you're in a relationship, don't get jealous and don't let that person change who you are. If you're in love, leave enough space for yourself and personal time but let your partner know that you still care about him/her.

~@};-

There's no hope if you're gonna damn yourself before you even start.

You KNOW when you aren't the type to ever be with someone.
If you're like me, a girl who sits at a computer all day programming and working on computer networks, doesn't go out shopping or anything, isn't in the least bit attractive, and can't cook very well, you KNOW you're doomed to live with a cat and an Iguana for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.