• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Release Date Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
This debate will likely get hot soon, so I might as well put this in here. I personally don't care either way but people are very invested in this topic. Also, no poll, because there will be confusion about fiscal years and calendar years.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'd like to think the game will be released next year, and I'm hoping for it. The longer it takes, the better it will be.

I've stated this in another thread, but transition from handheld to console does come with the bittersweet blessing that production must be stronger in order for the game to capture the full extent of its platform, that being the Switch. This prevents Game Freak from rushing, getting lazy, or carbon copying from previous installments (at least in theory). From my perspective, the distant release date is a sign that the game will be a damn good one.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I'd be fine waiting for the game to be released in 2019. It gives the developers more time to make sure the game will be successful.

Only thing I'd like to see before hand is a trailer to show what we can expect. That way we have actual information to discuss, not rampant speculation.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
If Game Freak were smart, they'd wait until 2019. They are going to have a very hard time releasing any kind of quality game with just 2 years of development. Unfortunately, Game Freak isn't always smart, so IDK.

What I would like is a 2018 announcement and a 2019 release. They should definitely wait until 2019 to release the game for quality reasons, but it'd help to start the news cycle early for promotion purposes. The fanbase is hungry for news on this game and they need this game to sell, so a long promotional period is a win-win for both sides.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
Much as I can't wait for this current generation to be over, I think it should be 2019 (2018 release is looking less likely with each passing day anyway).

Wonder how much of chance there is of a Spring release this time round though, considering the last titles released early in the year were the original games I believe

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Even if they didn't release the game in 2018 its wouldn't be the first time. Looking back at past games there's often a year in between releases, giving them time to work on other things.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I would go for a release date in 2019. Honestly at this time of the year the title of the game hasn't been officially announced yet therefore it's too early for a 2018 release. I'm expecting more of a late 2019 release to take advantage of Black Friday and Christmas sales.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Much as Id love the game this fall.... I do eonder if itll be done by then.

What I think would be pretty great though as a number 2 option. Release in March for the Switches 2 year anniversary.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I think that the game will come out in 2019. I don't want a rushed, incomplete product like XY and SM.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
If past release dates are anything to go by I'd predict the game could be released in either Spring (March/April) or Fall (October/November) of 2019.

Aetius

I don't think that it's too late for a 2018 release, but if that won't be the case, then I can imagine GF releasing the games on January/February 2019.
Besides, I have to remind you that Pokèmon Switch has probably been already in development for at least three years, if not more.
April and May will be decisive to determine whetever or not will see Pokèmon Switch in 2018 or 2019.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
so a long promotional period is a win-win for both sides.

Gotta disagree. The linger the promotional period, the more likely it is that GF or Nintendo (who ever handles promotional stuffs) will reveal most if not all the stuff in the game. Gen6, and 7 were both terrible at showing nearly all the new Pokemon and forms before release, as well as in game and post game content.

Orphalesion

Gotta disagree. The linger the promotional period, the more likely it is that GF or Nintendo (who ever handles promotional stuffs) will reveal most if not all the stuff in the game. Gen6, and 7 were both terrible at showing nearly all the new Pokemon and forms before release, as well as in game and post game content.

The discussion on whether it's a good idea to show all new Pokemon before the release or not, is an old one and unsolvable. I can only say again that I prefer to know the new dex before the release, always have since the very first game.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Ideally I'd like to not have everything revealed to us before the games released. By doing so it takes away from the sense of exploration in your first playthrough.

Guess in the age of social media and fandoms it's hard to keep everything secret.

PirateKing

Hey, long time lurker here, thought I’d share my thoughts. I think it’ll be 2019.

They typically like to announce new gens around the start of the year (XY in January, SM in February) so that they can use the entire year to build up hype. For the very first game on a home console I imagine they’re really gonna stick with that this time.

The latest a modern new Gen was announced was Black and White in April, with a fall release, but I think that’s a different case. Arceus was revealed a year prior to that, so gen 4 was long done, but here, we literally just got Zeraora yesterday and the anime’s still got a long way to go before it can wrap up and move on.

The only way I can see it coming out this year is if it’s a Kanto reboot, but I don’t see that happening just yet. They’ve never opened a new system without having a brand new gen game to launch it off with and I can’t think of any reason for them to stop that now, especially when they have a golden opprtunity to remake Kanto in 2021 for their big 25th anniversary celebration (which gives them time for Gen 8 in 2019, and Sinnoh in 2020)

M.P.

Retired
I reckon it'll release in 2019. It'll probably take more time to develop than the 3DS titles, and it would've already been announced if it was releasing in 2018.

I'd personally be fine with 2019 release, as well, as there's several other interesting games coming in 2018 (Luigi's Mansion remake, Spider-Man, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Kingdom Hearts III).

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
This is what killed the Wii U.

Remember, a big project like this is never really "done". If they keep putting off release until "it's ready" it will never be released. I would rather they release when they are ready to but no later than that.

What killed the Wii U was a combination of bad marketing, being unfriendly for third party developers, and lacking in games to make up for the first two. Long marketing periods had nothing to do with it. In fact, longer marketing periods are quite common in the console market, it's completely normal for a AAA game to be announced a year or more ahead of its release.

The new Pokemon and forms were because of datamining, that has nothing to do with the length of the marketing period. As for the content, that's normal too, you don't hear Mario fans complaining about all of the different powerups shown off before release or Kirby fans being shown all of the game modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.