1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Release Date Discussion

Discussion in 'Let's Go, Pikachu & Eevee' started by Trainer Yusuf, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria The best Mega Evolution

It is a common perception that games that are given longer development time are less rushed and are better in quality. There may be delays during development that could even postpone the release of a game and depending on the workload the developers and the staff have to go through, more time can be given to alleviate the pressure. Depending on how fast the developers can get through the workload, which can be affected by the individual input of every member the development team, the development period could be longer or shorter than expected. Overall, the fact is that a longer development cycle allows more time for the developers to refine the game, although that does not always translate to a better game experience.

If they want to save time by creating HD models for all of the Pokémon beforehand then Game Freak could as well use the saved time to work on other features on the game and saving time because Game Freak created HD models beforehand doesn't mean that the development period will be shorter. New features are an essential part of the new game and it is these that usually take a huge chunk of development part.

As a fill in in between the release date and the end of the Sun and Moon merchandise era, Pokémon Centers could still have special promotions to fill in the gap until it gets close enough to the release date of the new Switch game.

Therefore I still believe in a 2019 release. Any delay whatsoever could be thrown at them and could be serious enough to push back the release date by a couple of months.

Bolt the Cat likes this.
  2. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi God of Boi

As I said, I can see an early 2019 release, so within a time frame from January to April. I just find it hard to see the game being delayed all the way till a holiday 2019 release.

Anyway, all this speculation regarding the release date should hopefully come to a close on April 26, since that is when the Nintendo financial meeting is, and hopefully the '2018 or later' gets a definite '2018' or '2019' as the release date.

3. Mega Altaria

Right, I get that it's probably your opinions that would not allow for a late 2019 release. I believe that is when Nintendo releases a financial report on their earnings and quantities on games sales, profits, etc., so I doubt that any mention to the Switch game will be revealed that way. A more likely date the release year will be revealed is during E3, which happens from 12-14 June this year.

4. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi God of Boi

Pokémon rarely uses E3 for trailers/directs, so if they do have a trailer ready, it will definitely be before E3. If there's no trailer or news by E3, then I can just see something similar happening to last year, where Ishihara will probably update everyone regarding the status of the Switch title, and any trailer will be after E3.

And yes, while the financial report talks about game sales, profits, etc, it also talks about the upcoming schedule of games and their release dates. That's how we've known about the '2018 or later' release dates, since it came from the previous two Nintendo financial reports.

5. Mega Altaria

Well yeah but if the more final release date doesn't appear on the new financial report then I could expect a possible Pokémon Direct quite soon, by sometime around the end of the year at the latest and that could not just reveal the final release date but it will also reveal the titles of the game.

6. Ashton Ketchum

Ashton Ketchum Well-Known Member

I still sure - we see new games on 2019. Because - movie 21. There be Lugia and Zeraora. And no place for 8 gen pokemon (maybe, we see there new eeveealution). And for main anime too early. We wait Island Trials in 2 islands (in May begin Ula'Ula arc), Ultra Recon Squad, Necrozma, and probably League and return of Greninja. And one more argument - in 2019 movie with "Detective Pikapool" can served as good plan of campaign.
    If we see announcement in this year - in E3, with 30 second trailer, with new graphic style, Pikachu and 2019.

7. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Well-Known Member

Looking at the release date from a marketing perspective it would all depend what other games Nintendo is planning to release this year. Would they want Pokemon Switch to be released around the same time as say Bayonetta 3, Fire Emblem, or Smash Bros.? If they do then they'd be competing against their own brand.

Ambyssin likes this.
  8. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

@Akkipeddi It's true that longer development time doesn't always translate into higher quality but usually the higher quality games do take longer to make. Especially when it comes to factors like level design and content, and the fans haven't been satisfied with what recent games have done with these gameplay elements. Releasing the game in 2018, a mere 2 years after SM, raises concerns that not only will these elements not get better, they'd get worse.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  9. Ambyssin

Ambyssin Definitely a winter

I agree. They could make Pokémon Switch the big hit for Q1/Q2 2019 and keep the hype from these games (and possibly Prime 4?) going. You could move right from Smash hype to Pokémon hype.

10. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

I don't know... There's a small chance it might happen this year. Maybe after Sun and Moon revealing so much thing when it was announced made they rethink the strategy and now they plan a "less is more" approach. But I still have my doubts.

11. Storm the Lycanroc

Personally I'd prefer it to be released in Spring 2019 because there aren't as many big titles to compete with.

12. PirateKing

PirateKing Well-Known Member

I think we’ve passed the point of no return for 2018. judging by by past patterns, Newer gens have always been announced early in the year, with the latest announcement being April 9th 2010 for Black/White (Released later that Fall) but that time, the last mythical for the previous gen, Arceus, had already been revealed a year prior to that.

Zeraora and the rest of USUM content will most likely cover the rest of this year for the movies, anime, etc.
    Maybe if we’re lucky we’ll get a new Eeveelution or Lugia form in M21 but I think they’ll be like Zygarde
    (New form but no context for a full year)

Early next year we’ll get the reveal trailer and build up hype until Fall same as usual

13. paipr_christian

paipr_christian grass type fan.

So I had this random thought. Most reasons people have about the game not being released this year is because we haven't had an announcment made yet. Stating that they will want more time to create hype, advertise and what not.

But what if they want a shorter time because they know people arent gonna be happy about something. Namely graphics.

What if they arent making the BotW level graphics so many assume is hands down goingto happen, and they realize the longer between reveal and release, the more people are liable to get more upset......

..thoughts?

14. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Well-Known Member

Sorry, I just don't buy a 2018 release. It just doesn't fit for the anime. If they were really that far in development already and aiming for a 2018 release OLM would've already known about it for months. We'd see a massive speed up in pacing for the anime, and we don't see that at all. If they want to finish Alola within 2018 they have to essentially do a league, two more islands of trials, six more ultra beasts, a sixth capture for Ash including some development for that pokémon, and a Necrozma climax, all within like the next thirty or so episodes. That means no filler at all, no Guzma, no more episodes focused on class mates whatsoever, no Plumeria, no Po Town, no further development for Team Skull at all, and maybe then they could just about fit it in. By the rate they're going a mid-late 2019 end of gen 7 seems far more likely.

Let's be honest, if they wanted to release gen 8 this year it's possible they wouldn't come out to the public with it yet for whatever reason, but they would definitely tell OLM so they can pace out the anime. Producing an episode takes months so there's no way that they can just tell OLM five months before gen 8 about it, the anime would crash. The episodes already in production at that time would have to be completely rewritten and accelerated to fit the new pacing, there's no way to suddenly do that and still keep the show's quality at an acceptable level.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  15. Akashin

Akashin Well-Known Member

They'd want to spend less time hyping the games because they feel the more people see, the less interested they'd be? I'm not sure I follow the logic, especially given that the graphics are among the first things we'll see, so a shorter pre-release cycle wouldn't keep that from being a deal breaker for people.

To say nothing of the fact that basing their entire pre-release cycle around the premise that their new games will be a disappointment makes, well, considerably little sense in the first place.

Orphalesion and Bolt the Cat like this.
  16. Sαpphire

Sαpphire Well-Known Member

I really think that expecting an early-year 2019 release is just mistaken. That's happened literally twice in the span of over two decades - Red and Green first, and then their remakes later. Every single other game has been released in late September or later, with the exception of Black 2 and White 2 getting a mid-year release. I also don't really understand the perception that some have that late 2019 means its been "delayed" until then - they might just not be done making the game until mid-2019. We have no indication as to what stage of development is happening now, we have no idea what they're going for, and thus we have no indication of what progress they have made in making this brand new game for a platform they've never dealt with before.

I want it as soon as the next person, but signs are starting to point to a Q3/Q4 2019 release, and that's the one that would have been most natural to the often-bucked trends of the series itself anyway.

17. Storm the Lycanroc

Time will tell, sooner or later time will tell.

18. PirateKing

PirateKing Well-Known Member

I really don’t think that’ll be the case. Remember Gamefreak is making a product they want first and foremost to sell well. The only way that happens is if they create a product they have confidence to market and release, which goes for pretty much any product ever. If they were always comparing to other games, like the Zelda example, they wouldn’t ever have advertised Gold and Silver because it didn’t look as good as Ocarina of Time, or RSE because it didn’t look like Wind waker.
    If Gamefreak didn’t have that basic confidence in the game, it never even would have gotten past the drawing board and they would have spent their time developing something that has. They’d never be reactionary to how something else looks, rather, whatever style they thinks works for the game they wanna make.

19. CMButch

CMButch LGPE are/will be the worst main core games

I don't think it will be 2018. Now, onto 2019, I'd like it to be spring or summer 2019.But, probably the most realistic date in late 2019.