• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Relentless (OU RMT)

relentless.png

- A (mostly) Stall Team, by Da Who!

186.gif
227.gif
073.gif
302.gif
598.gif
612.gif

introg.png

Any of you that have battled me will know that I'm of the defensive style of play. Yet, despite this, I've tended to, up until now, stuck with Bulky Offence. However, I decided to give stall another try.

Stall didn't really work for me in the past because, well, it just didn't. One of the main issues though, was that opposing stall teams gave me a headache. Quite literally, in fact. A game lasting 200+ hours isn't good for you. Bearing this in mind, I decided to stick to a stall team with a wall-breaker, and the initial results have been excellent, as you will see as you keep reading. Gradually, this team has grown and matured, and my love for this type of play has risen. This has been my most successful team so far, peaking at just over 1160 CRT on Smogon something that I, at least, am proud of.

So, without further delay, I present to you, Relentless!

teambuilding.png

;186; :598: ;073; ;302; ;385; :612:
The team started as a pretty standard Rain Stall team, with Haxorus to wallbreak

;186; :598: ;073; ;302; ;380; :612:
I wanted a ground resist and a phazer. Latias was all of these things, and also retained Jirachi's wish-passing capabilities

;186; ;227; ;073; ;302; ;380; :612:
Putting almost all the hazard laying duties on ferrothorn was a bad idea with no recovery of it's own, so I added Skarmory

;186; ;227; ;073; ;302; :598: :612:
However, I noticed that all my hazard-layers had good recovery, and Leech Seed + Just SR is legal, so I added Ferro back in

detail.png

politoed_by_aorio-d49dlhc.png

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
  • Scald
  • Perish Song
  • Protect
  • Toxic

Contrary to popular opinion, I believe Politoed can do so much more than just set up Rain. This Set makes the most of Politoed's good Base 100 SDef Stat which, along with it's typing and good HP, allow it take many special attacks. Scald is a great move for this set, as the burn chance makes physical attackers wary of taking on Politoed. Perish Song acts as a pseudo-phazing move, and is good for preventing set-up sweepers from rampaging through my team. Finally, Toxic + Protect are obvious on a stall pokemon, and it's great for poisoning those pesky levitators/flying types.

Skarmory_by_biohazardjackdaw.png

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
  • Spikes
  • Roost
  • Whirlwind
  • Brave Bird

Skarmory's a fantastic Stall Team member as it's turned out to be the best Spiker I've ever used thanks to its great typing, bulk and access to instant recovery. Spikes and Roost are, for those reasons, obvious moves. Whirlwind is mainly the reason why Skarmory made this team as it allows me to rack up Entry Hazard damage and stop stuff setting up in my face. Brave Bird is to make sure Skarm's not taunt bait and its a powerful attack in it's own right. The EVs maximise Skarmory's excellent physical bulk, as it only takes 52-61% from a +1 Max Attack Dnite, without the rain

Tentacruel.png

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SDef / 44 Spd
  • Toxic Spikes
  • Rapid Spin
  • Scald
  • Protect

Tentacruel is another regular on a Rain Stall Team, thanks to his great ability and access to Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin. This set makes use of it's great special defence, complimented by Scald, which can, like with Politoed, burn physical attackers. Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin are obvious moves and Protect racks up Toxic Spikes damage. Tentacruel is a truly awesome pokemon and is definetly irreplacable on this team

302___sableye_by_merum_sb_blueolimar-d320ian.png

Sableye (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
  • Will-o-wisp
  • Taunt
  • Recover
  • Night Shade

Sableye is perhaps one pokemon you wouldn't normally expect to see. Obviously, he acts as the Team's Spinblocker, but I've used him over Gengar because even SubDisable Gengar is not defensive enough and over Jellicent because that would give me yet another electric and grass weakness. Sableye also has the advantages of being able to stop a sweep short (if they're a physical attacker) with Will-o-wisp, something I've endeavoured to do on this team. The fact he resists many forms of priority is a great bonus for this and, although they seem obvious, the EVs do allow it to survive Scizor's Bullet Punch and Azumarill's Rain Boosted Aqua Jet, when both have Max Attack and a Choice Band. Sableye also has the advantage of being able to abuse priority Recover to rack up Toxic Spikes damage. Onto the other moves: Priority Taunt is to stop pokemon boosting past the range where Sableye can no longer weather (pun intended) their onslaughts with Recover and Night Shade is good because it's good to have an attacking move.

598___ferrothorn_ps_by_fakemaket-d3iqats.png

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
  • Stealth Rock
  • Leech Seed
  • Protect
  • Power Whip

Another usual suspect, and rightly so, because Ferrothorn is a phenomenal pokemon with great typing, defences and movepool. Ferrothorn is valuable to this team as it checks pokemon such as LO Starmie who would otherwise be an absolute pain to this team. Stealth Rock is the King of Hazards, so it's essential on this team. Leech Seed is Ferrothorn's form of recovery, which, as I explained eariler, is valuable to the team's structure and long-lasting capabilities. It's also very useful for draining the HP of common switch-ins, especially if I have T-spikes down and make good use of Protect. Power Whip is a good strong STAB, and it hits surprisingly hard when I need to and prevents me from being taunt bait.

612.png

Haxorus (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
  • Dragon Dance
  • Swords Dance
  • Dragon Claw
  • Earthquake

If you look up "destruction" in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of this guy. If I play him right, Haxorus can rip through any team I face: Dragon Dance is for offensive teams, and Swords Dance is for stall ones. If I can get one of each boost up... well, you know what happens next. Dragon Claw is used over Outrage here purely because, although Outrage seems better in theory, I can't count the number of times I've wished Haxorus wasn't locked onto Outrage. Earthquake rounds of the set and works great with Mold Breaker: not even Bronzong is safe! The EVs maxmise attack and give me good bulk while allowing me to outspeed Max Speed Jolteon, the fastest unboosted pokemon in OU, after a Dragon Dance. In summary, Haxorus allows me to smash through opposing Stall Teams and can sweep very well lategame in any team, after it's been worn down by hazards.

conclusioni.png

This team has been my most successful yet, and has really inflamed my love for more defensive teams, albeit with a little offensive twist. I hope you find this team interesting and will take time to rate it. As I hope you can see, it took me a long while to write the RMT, never mind refining the team! So, I won't keep you any longer, so, thanks for reading, please rate away!

importable.png

Feel free to use this to test the team, to try out Stall or even use it as your own!

Code:
Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Toxic

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SDef / 44 Spd
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Protect

Sableye (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover
- Night Shade

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip

Haxorus (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Last edited:

Fracktail

Pretty solid team even with the fact Starmie is pretty lethal to the team, it looks like you got it covered (HP fire would be not there on a Starmie it is still a scary thought). Like the use of Sableye, glad that more people are giving him the credit it deserves.

Overall: very good, solid team

Thanks for the praise, fracktail. Starmie, I suppose, is a slight problem, but +1 Haxorus out speeds and OHKOs and Ferrothorn, in the rain, can survive the rare HP Fire and OHKO with Power Whip in return :)

Fracktail

now when I think about it... anything with similar to the elemental punches like Machamp or a speed boosted Octillary with surf, charge beam, ice beam, and fire blast is very concerning also

now when I think about it... anything with similar to the elemental punches like Machamp or a speed boosted Octillary with surf, charge beam, ice beam, and fire blast is very concerning also
Not really. Sableye's as good as a counter as they come to Machamp, being immune to DynamicPunch and being able to cripple it with priority will-o-wisp. As for Octillery, the chances of you seeing one in OU are virtually nothing.

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
change dragon claw to outrage on hax

Seriously, people need to stop doing this. WHY?! Explain things. Will it kill you to say "because it is more powerful and with a boost even those who resist it will be hurting" or something similar. Just telling someone to make changes without reasoning is both rude and short sighted. You forget that some people find the Outrage locking in unfavourable. There is good reason someone may not use it.

Frankly, I like that the set uses Dragon Claw, but I'd opt for Dual Chop. The ability to stump substitute and sash users is a VERY nice touch. Just a little food for thought.

(See, explaining my reasoning wasn't all that hard...)

Last edited:
@ You two: Outrage seems the best option on paper, that I grant you. But there have been, as I've explained, many many times where I've set haxorus up nicely and then face a situation where I either a) KO this pokemon with outrage then let Ferrothorn come in and lay down 2 layers of spikes or b) fail to KO the pokemon with EQ. The ability to switch has been much more beneficial. Besides, the hazards often mitigate the drop in power. Silentomen, Dual Chop is good, but the shazy accuracy for no power gain isn't my thing, espcially when Hax is supposed to be setting up to the point where the enemy is promptly OHKO'd, with no chance of Subbing. Plus, hazards break sashes

Last edited:

Fawn67

CS Owner and West SL
Hmm. On Politoed I was going to suggest Ice Beam > Protect for coverage, but I see it's for toxic stalling reasons.

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

I use a more defensive wall, (^) because more people try to hit Politoed with physical than special. But since you're going special, change it to this.

EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
(calm)
Oh, and on Ferrothorn; that's the first time I've ever seen someone not use Relaxed on a none Gyro Ball set. Meaning, you used you're brain! Lol.

Good team. Nothing to say. Other than you have a large electric weakness, so keep everyone that resists it alive and well.

Yelsew

I enjoyed looking at this team. Regardless of the fact I couldn't stand reading the post itself. XD To many commas in places that doesn't need commas make things utterly ridiculous to read. Unless you want us to read it like William Shatner speaks. >_>

Anyway no complaints on the team. I actually really like it. =D

Vitor"

i didn't see the entire team yet, but i wouldn't use Dragon Claw on Haxorus (it's the only problem i've seen until now). put Outrage if you want more power or Double Chop if you want to take out Substitutes. and another thing: Skarmory seems to be a better hazard inducer on paper, but in practice, Ferrothorn takes much more hits. so i sugest you put Spikes on Ferro and Rocks on Skarm.

harsha

Ferrothorn cannot learn SR, Spikes, and Leech Seed at the same time. And using that many hazards on Ferrothorn would be useless considering Skarmory does its job fine.

I enjoyed looking at this team. Regardless of the fact I couldn't stand reading the post itself. XD To many commas in places that doesn't need commas make things utterly ridiculous to read. Unless you want us to read it like William Shatner speaks. >_>

Anyway no complaints on the team. I actually really like it. =D
Really? Well, it's all correct grammar. Clauses and whatnot. But thanks for the compliments.

i didn't see the entire team yet, but i wouldn't use Dragon Claw on Haxorus (it's the only problem i've seen until now). put Outrage if you want more power or Double Chop if you want to take out Substitutes. and another thing: Skarmory seems to be a better hazard inducer on paper, but in practice, Ferrothorn takes much more hits. so i sugest you put Spikes on Ferro and Rocks on Skarm.
I find Skarm's instant recovery makes it a better hazard layer, but I'll test it out.

Ferrothorn cannot learn SR, Spikes, and Leech Seed at the same time. And using that many hazards on Ferrothorn would be useless considering Skarmory does its job fine.
I think he means swap them around.

Hmm. On Politoed I was going to suggest Ice Beam > Protect for coverage, but I see it's for toxic stalling reasons.

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

I use a more defensive wall, (^) because more people try to hit Politoed with physical than special. But since you're going special, change it to this.

EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
(calm)
Oh, and on Ferrothorn; that's the first time I've ever seen someone not use Relaxed on a none Gyro Ball set. Meaning, you used you're brain! Lol.

Good team. Nothing to say. Other than you have a large electric weakness, so keep everyone that resists it alive and well.
Ok, I'll tst those EVs.

Oh, and @ whoever said don't use Dragon Claw, I've explained why I've chosen it and there's an extra few posts about the issue in this thread too

Crimson101

Cooler Than Red
Seems ok and well like any other standard rain team.
Not much to say because well everyone else covered the things I noticed lol.
Well anyway all I suggest is like not to rely to much on those entries because people tend to have spinners nowadays and well let's be real. Who would let you get up to 3 spikes? It does help a lot though! if you can get them up but then that is all up to the player!
Cool team!

One thing I would suggest is getting a ground type like Gliscor or even donphan. Just something for that ground weakness because there might come a time where sacrificing Ferrothorn will be crucial. It's just a suggestion although your team seems fine without it!