1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Religion - A Choice, or a Forced Requisition?

Discussion in 'Debate Forum' started by Shinra Tensei, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shinra Tensei

Shinra Tensei ~*Pain*~

Basically, I think that no one has a choice in what Religion they belong to. This is because when children are born, their parents are already in a Religion, so they act out parts of that Religion and try to involve their children. This then becomes a way of life for that child, and he/she begins to believe and belong to that same Religion.

Never has it been heard of (That I think) that a Christian lives in a house of Muslims, this is because of the point I described above. Whatever actions are performed at home, the children think is it normal, and do not think anything of it, so they start doing it as well. Proof of this is from the Scott Mills Daily Podcast, people phoned in saying stuff that only happens in their family, and they believed it was true until something was pointed out to be weird, or frowned upon.

For example: A woman's mother named their cupboard under the stairs a Sessile, so they were brought up thinking this was the proper name for it, because of what their parents taught them when they were younger. It was not until someone pointed it out, when they were in their teens, that it was deemed to be a weird thing.

Anyway, this is my view on the subject. I an am Agnostic and have a neutral opinion towards any Religions. Also I have an open mind to good, well supported ideas.

Discuss :D

~Shinra Tensei~

2. Corroded Arceus

Corroded Arceus Shiny Hunter

Disagree, since I was rasied a catholic and chose to be an Atheist.

An intelligent person will evalutate their birth religion, and decide wether they agree with it. A weakminded person will just stay that religion without even thinking about it, and what they truly believe.

3. Barbarooza

Barbarooza BarBOSSA

Said what I was going to try and say, and did it a hell of a lot better than what I was going to write.

My parents are christian but I chose to become an atheist

4. Shinra Tensei

Shinra Tensei ~*Pain*~

Yes, but that isn't the point I am trying to raise. Maybe I didn't explain it very well... I meant that people are either their parents religion, or no religion.

And I think this is an amazingly true statement btw :p

~Shinra Tensei~

5. Corroded Arceus

Corroded Arceus Shiny Hunter

I've heard of people raised by christians who have converted to Islam, or even Paganism.

And what about people who change religion so they can marry someone they love?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  6. Shinra Tensei

Shinra Tensei ~*Pain*~

I haven't... I just thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss :D

~Shinra Tensei~

7. Cyber Cyclone

Cyber Cyclone Claimed.

I am Muslim, and I know about fifty Christian-raised Australians that have converted to Islam, in my one mosque alone, some have even gone to become imams.

Also, I know of many Jews that have converted to Islam, many Muslims that have converted to Christian, many Jews that have converted to Christian, many Christians that have converted to Buddhism, the list goes on.

My point is, in the past, or currently in oppressive or third-world countries religion is passed on through family, or even through country, but in this day and age, in the western culture, it is widely accepted that a religion is in fact a choice that you make once your older, not something passed down.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that your culture, heritage and family don't impact your decision or religion, I know it has a big impact, but it's not anything revolutionary, not in this twenty-first century.

So to answer the question, religion now, is very much a choice.

8. GhostAnime

GhostAnime Searching for her...

I think if we were speaking from a majority standpoint this is pretty much true.

9. Neo Duality

Neo Duality Banned

lmao.

you accuse religious people of being weak-minded? believe me when i say, they are not nearly as weak-minded as atheists. atheists are atheists since they are disillusioned with the world; rejected by society and the norm. it's their form of pseudo-nonconformity and getting back at the world. religious people merely accept what they're taught, instead of acting like pesky rebels. though they do question it, it is not about "god". it's about the spirit and essence of the religion.

you'll grow out of it.

10. 7 tyranitars

7 tyranitars Well-Known Member

no we think for ourselfs instead blindly following what our mommie and daddie told us.

11. Neo Duality

Neo Duality Banned

You think what the hivemind thinks.

12. GhostAnime

I really doubt Atheism is about non-conformity. If they wanted to be that they could have joined an even more 'attractive' group: Agnostics (even though they aren't THAT much different outside of social stigma).

In fact, they probably wouldn't label themselves at all. Just look at George Carlin.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  13. SHINY CATCHER

SHINY CATCHER Epic Snake is Epic!

I feel that in modern times in the more advanced parts of the world parents do not make a major impact on something like religion. People will choose for themselves which religion they believe if any.

14. The_Boss_Giygas

The_Boss_Giygas I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.

Religion just like any other life style is a choice, at birth we are not programed, we are simply made. When we come out of the world we live by making our own decisions or we live by the decisions made for us (slavery) but we are perfectly capable of deciding, we do not live by natural instincts like animals, we think about everything we choose to do be it choosing how to eat or what religion fits our like. Peer pressure, family, acceptance, etc. can influence us why not, but they don't influence everyone in the same ways.

15. Neo Duality

Neo Duality Banned

Atheists are not capable of deciding. Besides, Atheism is wrong. God exists. If evolution was real, atheist idiots would be weeded out due to natural selection. Besides, what merciful deity would allow such beings to exist?

16. Kthleen

Kthleen Wayfaring stranger

No, they accused people who don't think about if they actually agree with their parents' religion (regardless of the religion) of being weak-minded. Seriously, not everybody starts out Christian then moves to atheism "if they think about it." As pointed out earlier, some start out Christian then turned Muslim, some started out Jewish and converted to Christianity, etc.

Besides, I've often heard atheists describe their experience as "never believed, just did what I was told until I was old enough to do my own thing." I'm sure there are the "I believed, but I felt like being a disruptive rebel" types (and, for that matter, the "never believed, just did what I was told until I was old enough to do my own thing, which included disturbing the comfortable"), but I don't see why it's necessarily a bad thing to recognize that you just don't belong to this group.

It's interesting, though, that you think atheism has a hive mind when it's usually religions that strive to not only maintain the status quo, but enforce their own on everyone else (perhaps by partially through virtue of numbers, usually by belief in the superiority of the group). ...Then again, that's probably a part of being human per se....

Kind of says something about this deity, doesn't it? [img139]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/Kthleen/l33t%20Emoticons/Pomophugegrin.gif[/img139]

17. GhostAnime

You people really, really underestimate the power of environment.

Can you please stop trolling now?

18. J.T.

J.T. ಠ_ಠ

This seemed like it would be a boring old debate, one in which the OP would be disproven rather quickly because the mere existence of religious conversion entirely disproves his/her point. And then in comes Neo Duality, deciding to paint all atheists with a massive brush and insulting all of us in a post of FSTDT-worthy proportions! This'll be so fun!

No, he said weak-minded people don't question their religion and just blindly follow what they're told without questioning it. He said intelligent individuals think about it and choose whether they believe or not. He never said "weak-minded people are religious, intelligent people are atheist".

Oh, really? We're weak-minded? Care to explain why?

Some of them? Probably. All of them? Hell no. I became an atheist because the idea of a deity makes absolutely no sense to me. It had nothing to do with the general crapsackiness of the world until I thought more about it later on.

And your reason for believing this is?

Oh hey, I didn't know that I was ****** at the world and was getting back at it by not believing in a deity! Man, I'm glad I have you, you clearly know my own beliefs and reasons behind them better than I do! Wait, no.

What astounding arrogance. Who the hell are you to tell every atheist in the world what they believe and why they believe it? Do you know every atheist in the world? No? So how the **** can you pretend to know their reasons for not believing in God? Has it honestly not occurred to you that maybe - just throwing this out here - the idea of a deity who wished everything into existence and sends anyone who doesn't believe in him to eternal torture might seem a little ridiculous?

You act like that's always a good thing.

Yes, all atheists are rebels. Keep painting with that huge brush, pal.

Like 7 tyranitars said, we think for ourselves. So do a good number of religious people. "Thinking for ourselves" doesn't necessarily mean "turn atheist", it just means thinking and questioning what goes on around us.

What, so now you know every religious person too? You know all religious people question their religion? That's interesting, because I know a few religious people you must have missed when you went around asking every theist in the world whether they question any part of their religion.

Well, no ****, most major religions condemn you to some sort of punishment for questioning said god. I doubt many fundamentalist theists would do so.

And I know several religious people who have questioned their god, the idea of their god, and the actions of their god. Do you like making generalizations about every group you know of, or do you honestly think you know everyone in the world?

See above.

Don't talk down to us. Stop treating us like "rebellious little children", as if you think there's no such thing as an atheist beyond the age of twenty. You're honestly one of the most condescending people I've ever met. And let me guess, you probably think atheists are immoral, too.

Something like 90% of the world is religious, and we're the hivemind?

And once again, bravo for being able to tell 7 tyranitars that his description of his own ****ing views are wrong. Are you a psychic or something? Because I can't think of another way you could be able to tell him why he believes something better than he can. Well, I mean, there's also the possibility that you're arrogant and talking out of your ***, but we all know you couldn't possibly be doing that, right?

And now you're just outright calling us stupid. You know it's bad when that's an improvement from what you've been doing up until now.

Proof?

Proof?

Okay, now I'm convinced you're joking. Why exactly would evolution weed out atheists? Idiots, sure, that still happens sometimes. Just look at the Darwin Awards. But why exactly would it weed out atheists? Unless you mean it would weed out people who are both atheists and idiots, in which case, well, it can sometimes. Seriously, I'm not sure what the hell you're trying to get across here.

You tell me. If we're so bad and evil, why hasn't your god poofed us out of existence?

19. Neo Duality

Neo Duality Banned

i will not bother to read your tldr butthurt rebuttal and not answer any of your questions either. my statements fall under the umbrella of well-thought out, justified statement while yours fall under that of attention-seeking, pretentious questioning and ad hominem. next time you decide to criticize my points please understand them first, idiot (calling you an idiot is not a form of ad hominem if it'd being used to address you)

because god sucks. he is real though, if he wasn't you wouldn't be here.

20. ??????

?????? That guy.

Religion starts out as a "forced choice" and then when the child is old enough he makes a decision to either continue to follow or abandon. You can't blame your religious preferences on your childhood when you now posses the power to alter them.

And Neo Duality is a great troll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.