• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Religion - A Choice, or a Forced Requisition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
evolutionrex, do you want to know what the ruling Ethan, the moderator, has given on using dictionaries in debate? If you don't like me doing it, talk to Ethan.
Doesn't change my opinion. They are still useless and prove little. When someone tries to make a point in the debate forum your always complaining about a couple words that are out of line. the wayand the amount of times you use dictionaries are annoying. All you prove with a dictionary are common facts the most people know, and just becuase someone uses the wrong word doesn't mean you can bash them about it, like the word "homophobe." Just becuase he used it in a different meaning doesn't mean the he is wrong when you bring out "the might dictionary."

But any, I'm getting quite off topic.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Being a Catholic matters? I thought I was speaking (at least originally to TFP) for Christians in general; and maybe even all of religion itself. The most popular religions are popular because of control and power; not because humans just magically prefer God/Allah.

Ethan

Banned
I'm honestly at loss with this dictionary issue. I can't really stop one party from using a source however illegitimate it may be percieved, and I can't really stop one party from berating or discrediting that source, namely, the dictionary. So my options are

A) Tell one party to shut the **** up but look biased in the process
B) Change the topic
C) Let you work it out amongst yourselves and not get involved.

I tried A, which apparently didn't work because you twits simply opt not to listen. Can't really do B because it just come full circle back again later. So it looks like C. Until you guys work something out there's really nothing I can do as far as improving this. Make a compromise or continue having a pointless debate.

- Post made after receiving several PM's

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I like C best. Changing the topic isn't going to work because it happens in almost every ShinySandshrew topic.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Guys, if you're just going to keep complaining about ShinySandshrew's conduct in debates, why don't you just message him directly, instead of filling this thread with "opinions" about him?

Plus, a Catholic and a Protestant are two different religions, like Sunni and Shi'te - you can't blame one for what the other does, it's pretty culturally inaccurate, not that I even favor this blame game to begin with. SS is trying to defend his specific religion. I don't recall him saying every denomination of Christianity is innocent.

Last edited:

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
SunnyC said:
Plus, a Catholic and a Protestant are two different religions, like Sunni and Shi'te - you can't blame one for what the other does, it's pretty culturally inaccurate, not that I even favor this blame game to begin with.
Whatever the difference may be, it is responsible for the overall spread of Christianity (whether it considers it a part of it now or not, but it did at least in those times.. don't quote me on that though).

By the way, I'm not "blaming" anything anymore than saying "Europeans are responsible for America's central values."

Last edited:

natie

Mr. F
No. 10characters. Well...I'll say more than that.

The reason is that if your making a claim, you should back it up with evidence. If you provide factual evidence to back up a claim, that makes your arguments stronger.
Nice try mocking me. I noticed though.

Sure, evidence helps, but it isn't necessary whatsoever unless the other party doesn't believe a word of what you're saying. And here, it seems like the other party really doesn't believe anything anyone says, even not things said by those 'in the middle'. Which gets really annoying really fast.

SergeiDragunov

Crits Everywhere
I obviously say it's a choice. Raised Catholic, but turned Atheist around... Oh, I'd say when I was 16. When someone gets old enough that they can draw their own conclusions about these things, they can choose to either follow what they were taught or move on to other viewpoints. I'm personally an Atheist living in the Bible Belt. Fun stuff >.<

Profesco

gone gently
Profesco used Hi Bump Kick!

Status
Not open for further replies.