• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Religion - A Choice, or a Forced Requisition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dattebayo

Banned
People are free to choose a religion that suits them best regardless of what religion their family believes in. As for the Atheist issue Neo discussed here, I tend to have a distrust for them as they act like jerks and try to shove their beliefs to everyone's throats, much like the religious extremists. I got into an argument with one at dA, and he still won't give up. It's arguments like these is what causes me to go on an internal conflict on who is right or wrong.

Ri-Chan

♚ get s l e a z y
To be honest, I was forced into Christianity by my parents. I honestly hated church and found it to be a complete waste of time. I wish I had the opportunity to choose my religion, but I know my parents would hate it if I did.

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
I'm having trouble determining if you were being sarcastic here or were actually serious. If it was the latter, could you elaborate on why a merciful deity would kill people off?

He was making fun of Neo Duality for saying that a benevolent god wouldn't let atheists live.

As for the Atheist issue Neo discussed here, I tend to have a distrust for them as they act like jerks and try to shove their beliefs to everyone's throats, much like the religious extremists.

Oh, that's cool. How many atheists have you met? Okay, now how many didn't go all anti-religion on you? And finally, how do you think you would know if a person's an atheist without them shoving their beliefs down your throats? And no, I'm not saying atheists should shove their beliefs down everyone's throats (like you're unfairly accusing all atheists of doing), I'm just saying you probably wouldn't know if the person you just passed on the street was an atheist unless he grabbed your arm and said "YOU, STOP BELIEVING IN GOD", so you really don't get to make a judgment like that.

Dattebayo

Banned
Oh, that's cool. How many atheists have you met?

Three at dA, and some of the people here at Serebii.

Okay, now how many didn't go all anti-religion on you?

Only one at dA when I try to tell him to stop treating religion in general because of a few extremists and one at Serebii where when I asked him if he was shoving his beliefs down people's throats.

And finally, how do you think you would know if a person's an atheist without them shoving their beliefs down your throats?

At dA, I look at their stamps to look for an atheist stamp. At Serebii, that Atheist Club.

And no, I'm not saying atheists should shove their beliefs down everyone's throats (like you're unfairly accusing all atheists of doing), I'm just saying you probably wouldn't know if the person you just passed on the street was an atheist unless he grabbed your arm and said "YOU, STOP BELIEVING IN GOD", so you really don't get to make a judgment like that.

Blame Youtube rants on religion for making me act like this.

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever

I forgot that Atheists elected representatives and placed them at random websites.

Only one at dA when I try to tell him to stop treating religion in general because of a few extremists and one at Serebii where when I asked him if he was shoving his beliefs down people's throats.

Not provoked at all.

At dA, I look at their stamps to look for an atheist stamp. At Serebii, that Atheist Club.

You mean the one that closed over a year ago?

So people are free to choose their religion but not how they treat people with alternative/no beliefs?

It's okay J.T. : it's all Youtube's fault.

Last edited:

waffle_x_v

Fun stuff
JOh said:
I've met quite a number of atheists. All but one didn't go anti-religion the rest were pricks. I know some are atheist by them making offensive and ignorant comments about my beliefs. The person didn't specify that ALL atheists are like that. I know because I've met one really cool atheist. (I'm sure there are more) I don't have a problem with atheists that are respectful but when I meet atheists who are rude and just believe they're smarter than all religious people that's when I have a problem with them. We want respect as much as the rest of you it's the one's that like to troll are the problem.

Ethan

Banned
To be honest, I was forced into Christianity by my parents. I honestly hated church and found it to be a complete waste of time. I wish I had the opportunity to choose my religion, but I know my parents would hate it if I did.

They have forced you to to do religious routines like go to church, but they didn't force what you believed, because no one can force you to believe anything. It's not possible. Even under the threat of gun, you still ultimately choose.

I don't buy the phrase "I grew into my religion" because its not true. Granted children are gullible, naive, innocent, and have many other traits that cause them to believe things more readily, than say, a full grown adult. It doesn't make it any less of a choice, just a more ill informed one. In addition to this every child reaches the age of accountability and responsibility where they are able to analyze their belief systems and world view thoroughly.

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ

Not even any in real life? Impressive, then, that you're letting a couple douchebags on the Internet affect your view of an entire group of people.

Only one at dA when I try to tell him to stop treating religion in general because of a few extremists

Isn't that exactly what you're doing to atheists right now?

and one at Serebii where when I asked him if he was shoving his beliefs down people's throats.

Eh?

Interestingly enough, I have an account on both dA and (obviously) Serebii. I do not have the atheist stamp on my dA account, and I am not part of the Atheist Club (hell, I didn't even know there was one, but I don't feel like I need to join). So that kinda fails to prove much.

Oh, yeah, blame Youtube, blame Youtube for the way I act, because lord knows I couldn't possibly be at all to blame for the way I act! God, what is this, are stupid Youtube videos the new scapegoat? "Oh crap, I really bombed that singing audition, I blame Fred!"

I've met quite a number of atheists. All but one didn't go anti-religion the rest were pricks. I know some are atheist by them making offensive and ignorant comments about my beliefs.

Exactly. If these people did not make "offensive and ignorant comments about your beliefs", you wouldn't know they were atheists unless you asked them. That's my entire point here. Your best friend could be atheist, and you wouldn't know unless he turned around and told you something along the lines of "you're delusional for believing in God" or you asked them on your own free will. You probably know a good few more atheists than just those ones you seem to be harping on, and you just don't know they're atheists because they're not yelling at you for being Christian. Surprise! Those people are the majority. The loud, whiny, rude people you're talking about are a vocal minority, and like you said, don't represent all atheists.

The person didn't specify that ALL atheists are like that.

Yes he did. He said "I tend to distrust atheists because they act like jerks".

Last edited:

Dattebayo

Banned
Not even any in real life? Impressive, then, that you're letting a couple douchebags on the Internet affect your view of an entire group of people.

There is one jerk at my school who is an atheist, and he hates my guts for the way I am. Even the people he hangs around with don't like him.

Isn't that exactly what you're doing to atheists right now?

It was more like "Leave us religious people alone" than converting them because really, this guy will mock people for having a religion.

Happened last year.

Interestingly enough, I have an account on both dA and (obviously) Serebii. I do not have the atheist stamp on my dA account,

I should've mentioned that this doesn't always happen.

Oh, yeah, blame Youtube, blame Youtube for the way I act, because lord knows I couldn't possibly be at all to blame for the way I act! God, what is this, are stupid Youtube videos the new scapegoat? "Oh crap, I really bombed that singing audition, I blame Fred!"

But it's the truth; when there's a YT rant about religion, there's a 50/50 chance that the ranter is either a sane religious person or an atheist. I got really unlucky on finding those rants made by atheists.

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
There is one jerk at my school who is an atheist, and he hates my guts for the way I am. Even the people he hangs around with don't like him.

Funny that you never mentioned him until I asked. But it's not like it matters, because you're completely missing every point I've made.

It was more like "Leave us religious people alone" than converting them because really, this guy will mock people for having a religion.

No, you said you told him to stop judging religious people because of the actions of a few extremists, but then turn around and say all atheists act like jerks because you totally know these guys who are atheists and they're really mean.

I should've mentioned that this doesn't always happen.

Which was exactly my point. You can't tell if someone is an atheist unless they tell you (through stuff like joining atheist clubs, or just outright telling you) or they act like jerks to you because of your religion (and even then they're not necessarily atheist, they could just be a different religion than you).

But it's the truth; when there's a YT rant about religion, there's a 50/50 chance that the ranter is either a sane religious person or an atheist. I got really unlucky on finding those rants made by atheists.

Right, there's never an insane religious person.

No, it is not "the truth". The blame falls on you, for not being able to distinguish between the obnoxious vocal atheists and the quiet respectful atheists. No amount of Youtube videos will change that.

waffle_x_v

Fun stuff
Just for the record I'm not Christian. And I like to know who my friends are so I ask. TBH I don't know any other atheists like him.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Ethan said:
In addition to this every child reaches the age of accountability and responsibility where they are able to analyze their belief systems and world view thoroughly.
Or do they? I have my doubts about the South because there aren't enough people to challenge the status quo which makes it harder to get out of it.

You can't decide things at the age of freaking two.
You barely have a decent thought process to make a life time decision at that age. So don't even go there.
I just thought that eating animals wasn't nice. I just I just said apparently that I didn't want to eat meat anymore. I wouldn't of been thinking about it being a life time decision I just thought it wasn't nice.

natie

Mr. F
I was raised by atheists, and I'm an atheist. Was that a forced requisition? Of course not. I'm clever enough to deduct that it is impossible for a greater being to exist. Surely, Darwin may not have been entirely right about all the things he said, but his main point will always stand: there is no higher being, only evolution. Which is only logical if you ask me.

But more ontopic again: most of my friends that were raised as Christians turned to atheism instead, because of common sense. Only one Muslim became an atheist (perhaps there are more to come?). Thus, I suppose the 'forced' aspect about this in a way relies on the kind of religion.

So, religion is mostly forced by the parents and the society the person is in, but can also be a choice of the person, if he/she can convince his/her parents that there is no reason to believe in 'God'.

waffle_x_v

Fun stuff
Nobody can force you to do anything it's your decision they just influence it. I wonder if atheist parents force their kids to be atheist too. I mean if they have really strong beliefs what makes them different? They could be chugging their beliefs down their children's throats without letting them think. It could be both ways.

Last edited:

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
The difference is, though, is that Atheism is more of a lack of something. It isn't really something preached; let alone talked about. The subject of religion is just not spoken of.

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
Surely, Darwin may not have been entirely right about all the things he said, but his main point will always stand: there is no higher being, only evolution.

Actually, Darwin was a fairly devout Christian early in life, and although he became critical of some religions, he never really stopped believing in a form of God.

natie

Mr. F
Nobody can force you to do anything it's your decision they just influence it. I wonder if atheist parents force their kids to be atheist too. I mean if they have really strong beliefs what makes them different? They could be chugging their beliefs down their children's throats without letting them think. It could be both ways.
Atheism (a-theism) means the lack of belief in something. The parents can't push anything on their children as there isn't anything there.

waffle_x_v

Fun stuff
Yes they can. Something such as atheism can be forced. Their lack of belief in god can be forced on to their children if their parents have biased views.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Strong atheism can be forced but it really typically isn't. Religion is simply not discussed. That isn't really 'force'. Reason for this is because most religions bring families together and have a type of 'spread the word' mindset where as Atheism is just.. nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.