• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Religion in today's society

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
Fair enough, I understand your point.

I don't necessarily think it makes religion bad, though. Everyone is different and everyone has a different desire in life. If someone derives comfort or meaning from religious doctrine, I don't think that's a bad thing. Irrational? Arguably, yes, but if it isn't harming anyone, I don't think it's a problem. You might argue that believing in something that has no empirical proof is "harmful" but I don't think that's always the case. Yes, some religious dogmas can condone harmful things or be used in a way that harms others, but I don't think that means that all religious dogmas are inherently bad.
You might by luck avoid the harmful effects of dogmas to others, but it would just be dumb luck. If you don't think rationally about your decisions, is there any guarantee of avoiding these harmful effects? If you leave it up to some religious text, you are just rolling the dice.

I said earlier, "Life in blissful ignorance isn't meaningful." This is because if you don't actually think for yourself, you are not making any real decisions yourself. You are just leaving it to outside influence.

Religion also plays a huge role in culture and history, and I think that's important to consider as well. Culture is so important to human social structures and bringing people together. Lots of things we enjoy are irrational, but that doesn't make them bad.
A lot of indigenous religions stem from being connected to the natural world around them. And while some people might think their gods/spirits/beliefs are irrational, they're a hugely important part of their culture and who they are as people.

To want those things to be taken away because people take issue with a subset of religion is kind of gross to me.
Something isn't morally superior simply because it is traditional. There is no reason why existing culture is morally superior to alternative cultures simply by virtue of being currently in place. That's just dogmatic conservatism.

Social norms forced on people from the outside are, in a sense, a part of who they are, but they aren't a part of who they should be. Only things you decide by yourself through rational thought bring meaningful value to life. An individual should not be constrained by surrounding culture and its irrational social norms forced on him. If everything is given to you from the outside and you never decide a thing by yourself, it is not life in a true sense.

That being said, I don't think religion has a place in government/law-making decisions, but I think the idea that people would be better off without it and/or it should be wiped out as a whole is rather militant.
Since when has rational argumentation been militant? What should we use, if not rationality? Make arbitrary guesses?

My issue is, again, this seems to stem more from disagreeing with Abrahamic religions. There are plenty of religions that don't hinder scientific literacy, social progression, etc. This is why I have a hard time taking these kinds of debates too seriously because when people say "religion is bad" they almost always only have something to say that relates back to Abrahamic religions. I get that they're the biggest religions in the world but to say "all religion" when talking about only one subset is silly to me.
If nothing else, they hinder it through their underlying message of "Dogmatism is acceptable."

Maedar

Banned
I want to make a promise to everyone here.

The conservatives in Congress want religion to be a part of our lives.

The oppose universal health care, and food stamps, and immigration. They want to outlaw abortion, and pass voter ID laws with no proof of voter fraud. The accuse the President of things they cannot prove.

So tell you what.

They claim religion has all the solutions? If they can figure out how to feed five-thousand people with five loaves of bread and two fish, then I will admit their argument has merit and believe them. But only then.

LDSman

I want to make a promise to everyone here.

The conservatives in Congress want religion to be a part of our lives.
I see it more as conservatives want people to be able to practice their religion without gov't interference. Do you have something that says that all conservatives want to force people to be religious?

The oppose universal health care
, Universal health care doesn't work. There aren't enough doctors to even come close to treating everyone. Trying to force it will only crash the system.

and food stamps,
Bull. Some are against rampant increases in coverage. Others are wanting a reform of the system with a crackdown on those that are commiting fraud.

and immigration.
Bull. Illegal immigration is a problem. They are breaking the law. You like to harp about people following all the laws. Why aren't you upset about people breaking immigration laws?

They want to outlaw abortion,
A few do. Some want it restricted to flat out medical necessities.

and pass voter ID laws with no proof of voter fraud.
Proof has been provided and a recent court case ruled that proof isn't necessary. Acting to prevent a problem is an acceptable reason for voter ID laws. And again, areas with voter ID laws experienced an increase in voter turnout.

The accuse the President of things they cannot prove.
Depends on what you call proof. And some of the investigations are still ongoing.

They claim religion has all the solutions? If they can figure out how to feed five-thousand people with five loaves of bread and two fish, then I will admit their argument has merit and believe them. But only then.

Asking for miracles? I wonder if you really would accept such a thing.

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
, Universal health care doesn't work. There aren't enough doctors to even come close to treating everyone. Trying to force it will only crash the system.

Oh?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/04/obamacare-january-bea_n_4892267.html

Seems ol' Glenn has some explaining to do.

Asking for miracles? I wonder if you really would accept such a thing.

Oddly enough, LDS, the Vatican has confirmed LOTS of miracles in modern times.

But it has yet to confirm any case of the "divine wrath" that the extremists warn us of.

Peter Quill

star-lord
I'm going to give one warning

Although religion does play a role in government office because of the previously mentioned freedom to practice religions, I do not want this becoming yet another Democrat v. Republican thread. I will start moving posts and asking you guys to stop if I feel it is getting sidetracked.

Also I'll make a post to what I see in here in a bit because I'm a little shocked honestly lol.

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
You think Hinduism is any less regressive that Judaism, Christianity, or Islam? Combined, 70% of the world is one of those four religions. With another 16% unaffiliated, that means only 14% of all religion is more or less benign. But, just like cancer, removal of benign components is the best to prevent future harm. The biggest point to remember here is that religion, whether beneficial or a hindrance, always has the potential to become dogmatic and belligerent. It's easy to think you are infallible when no one can definitively prove you wrong...

There are a lot of different ideologies that can become belligerent and dangerous. (Case in point: look at Maedar and all the other people who focus solely on politics in the debate forums and how utterly violent they get toward each other...) Religion isn't some special case. And honestly, with the way humanity seems to treat each other, if they weren't getting belligerent over religion, it would just be something else. I don't think people who aren't harming anyone should be punished or looked down on simply because they believe something. Not to mention there are so many different denominations even within the top religions and they don't all believe the same thing.

Does every religion everywhere need to force their beliefs on everyone via government for you to place blame on religion? Sure, not all religion wants that. That doesn't mean religion isn't to blame. Same with your house catching fire; you blame that fire, not all fire everywhere, even though all fire is dangerous.

Except not all religion is inherently dangerous. Even you said some religions are benign. Go ahead and blame specific religions for the bigoted beliefs, but to say that all religion is harmful is kind of ignorant imo, especially considering most people who argue that religion is bad don't even know much about religions outside of Abrahamic religions.

For a lot of people, religion making them who they are is the problem.

That's not your call to make.

You might by luck avoid the harmful effects of dogmas to others, but it would just be dumb luck. If you don't think rationally about your decisions, is there any guarantee of avoiding these harmful effects? If you leave it up to some religious text, you are just rolling the dice.

One can be religious and still make rational decisions. Humans are incredibly complex, multifaceted beings. You're being far too black and white with this.

I said earlier, "Life in blissful ignorance isn't meaningful." This is because if you don't actually think for yourself, you are not making any real decisions yourself. You are just leaving it to outside influence.

We're influenced by all kinds of things in our lives. It's kind of how we learn things and even learn to think for ourselves. If someone decides they want to believe something, that's their call and not yours. I also don't think you get to decide what does and doesn't bring meaning to someone's life.

Something isn't morally superior simply because it is traditional. There is no reason why existing culture is morally superior to alternative cultures simply by virtue of being currently in place. That's just dogmatic conservatism.

I never said anything was morally superior simply because it was traditional and I'm honestly not sure where you're getting that. I'm saying that it's wrong to want to take someone's culture away from them because it's such a big part of being human.

Social norms forced on people from the outside are, in a sense, a part of who they are, but they aren't a part of who they should be. Only things you decide by yourself through rational thought bring meaningful value to life. An individual should not be constrained by surrounding culture and its irrational social norms forced on him. If everything is given to you from the outside and you never decide a thing by yourself, it is not life in a true sense.

It's up to each individual to decide that for his/herself. You don't get to decide who someone should or shouldn't be. Again, that's not your call to make. Just because someone is religious doesn't mean they never decide anything for themself or that they always let outside forces influence every single aspect of their lives.

Since when has rational argumentation been militant? What should we use, if not rationality? Make arbitrary guesses?

You were completely missing the point. I meant that it's militant to believe that everyone should think the same way you do. Militant atheism isn't any better than militant religiousness. Not saying anyone here is necessarily a militant atheists but it seems to be a really popular viewpoint to have these days, and I think it's pretty disgusting.

If nothing else, they hinder it through their underlying message of "Dogmatism is acceptable."

If it isn't harming anyone, I don't see why it shouldn't be acceptable. Just because someone believes in a particular dogma doesn't mean they aren't capable of rational thought.

Murder Doll

Button Presser
My 2 Cents:

Religion and Government: To inforce any religion through any meens be it banning practice of other religions, inforcing the rules of a religion, or in any other way letting it leak into the various laws of a country is unjust, backwards thinking, and an act of tyranny.

Religion and Violence: Most religions do not actualy approve of violence and actualy go as far as to say things like "turn the other cheek" and the like & often leave punishment or aggressive action to the god figure being worshiped.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
One can be religious and still make rational decisions. Humans are incredibly complex, multifaceted beings. You're being far too black and white with this.
If it isn't harming anyone, I don't see why it shouldn't be acceptable. Just because someone believes in a particular dogma doesn't mean they aren't capable of rational thought.
Just because someone is religious doesn't mean they never decide anything for themself or that they always let outside forces influence every single aspect of their lives.
Can religious or dogmatic people sometimes make rational decisions? Yes. The level of rationality varies from person to person. This is a descriptive statement.

However, religion is imparing their ability to be rational because it imposes dogmas on them. They should be more rational. How can they achieve this? Among other things, by abandoning religion. This is a normative statement. See? There's a difference.

I never said anything was morally superior simply because it was traditional and I'm honestly not sure where you're getting that.
If you have the choices

1) Maintain irrational culture for the sake of tradition

and

2) Change culture to a more rational direction,

you would pick 1). Therefore, you are making the moral judgment that choice 1) is morally superior.

I'm saying that it's wrong to want to take someone's culture away from them because it's such a big part of being human.
It's not their culture. It's just something given to them from the outside. Being human in a meaningful sense is about sentience and, by extension, ultimately rationality, not about the culture you happened to be born in.

We're influenced by all kinds of things in our lives. It's kind of how we learn things and even learn to think for ourselves.
Seen from the outside, humans are under the influence of contingent factors, but from their own perspective they have free will as an epiphenomenon. Morality is only meaningful if we postulate that others have a similar free will.

If someone decides they want to believe something, that's their call and not yours. I also don't think you get to decide what does and doesn't bring meaning to someone's life.
It's up to each individual to decide that for his/herself. You don't get to decide who someone should or shouldn't be. Again, that's not your call to make.
Who decides whether Earth is thousands of years old or billions of years old?
Who decides whether 2+2=4?
Who decides whether murder is wrong?

There's a difference between people's notions of truth and the actual truth. Or are you an epistemological subjectivist, or perhaps a moral subjectivist?

You were completely missing the point. I meant that it's militant to believe that everyone should think the same way you do. Militant atheism isn't any better than militant religiousness. Not saying anyone here is necessarily a militant atheists but it seems to be a really popular viewpoint to have these days, and I think it's pretty disgusting.
Everyone should not blindly copy what I think about things. That would be dogmatism.

Everyone should think for themselves. What does this mean? Thinking as rationally as possible. Irrational thinking isn't genuine thinking at all; it's just a roll of dice.

So, you are saying people should think for themselves... while not thinking for themselves (because that's what I'm suggesting). What's all this, then?

There are a lot of different ideologies that can become belligerent and dangerous.
Help me understand why this is a counterpoint to the danger of religion? Returning to my "fire" analogy for a moment, the existence of different sources doesn't make the one kind we're discussing any less dangerous.

I don't think people who aren't harming anyone should be punished or looked down on simply because they believe something.
I don't think so either. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to remove a centralizing dogma from one's psyche to the point that it doesn't influence others. Not that all influence is necessarily negative, but to be perfectly honest, the culturally prominent forms today are pejorative and abusive.

Except not all religion is inherently dangerous. Even you said some religions are benign.
Fire can be kept under control. The existence of senseless dogmas might be harmless now, but does that mean it will remain that way? Separating yourself from what is real and embracing dogma has an intrinsically hazardous effect.

Go ahead and blame specific religions for the bigoted beliefs, but to say that all religion is harmful is kind of ignorant imo, especially considering most people who argue that religion is bad don't even know much about religions outside of Abrahamic religions.
It's more than a little ignorant to suppose irrationality, or the basis of all religion, isn't naturally dangerous. Perhaps not harmful in the here and now, sure, but even the most civil religion only needs a push in the wrong direction to falter and fall.

That's not your call to make.
It directly harms me and society. It's my call, it's your call, is the guy down the street's call. All it takes is some simple observation.

It's up to each individual to decide that for his/herself. You don't get to decide who someone should or shouldn't be. Again, that's not your call to make.
I want you to take a step back here and ask yourself if anyone wants to force people to give up their religion by force, be it societal or otherwise. All we are asking for is an enlightened world where superstition and fairy tales aren't the basis for the most major life choices anyone can make. If you are okay living in a world of fantasy, go right ahead. You are going to have to ignore all the other issues, though, because who knows? You might be depriving someone of their culture when you tell them racism/sexism/xenophobia is wrong.

I meant that it's militant to believe that everyone should think the same way you do. Militant atheism isn't any better than militant religiousness. Not saying anyone here is necessarily a militant atheists but it seems to be a really popular viewpoint to have these days, and I think it's pretty disgusting.
And also, I know this wasn't directed at me, but really? Popular? Atheists are a tiny portion of society, and less than a fraction of them believe everyone should believe the same things as they do. I have never spoken to one, heard one speak, and most likely, neither have you. If you want to pretend this is an actual problem, much less a "popular viewpoint", you might have to show that to be the case.

Navin

MALDREAD
There is a difference between people's notions of truth and the actual truth. Or are you adhering to a subjectivist understanding of truth?

The latter: each human experience is subjective. You and I will see the world differently. For example, an "actual truth" might be you are Aegis, I am Mal, we live on Earth, there is a Moon, etc. I can say the ultimate goal of at least Hinduism is to realize the oneness of everything (a drop of water merging into the ocean) so in that case I wouldn't say you are Aegis or I am Mal but rather there is no difference between us. It's an extreme example but I hope you know what I am saying.

Are they more rational than pure rationality itself? If not, why settle for a lesser version?

Define "pure rationality." I actually see them as something that offers meaning behind the rationality of your world.

I mean whether these communities have been built in a morally correct way. Are they bound together by rational thought or blind acceptance of social norms?

You can have an entire range.

If you were allowed to question whatever norms you pleased and act entirely rationally, you would be able to question any and all dogmas of Hinduism. But why would you even call yourself a Hindu then? You'd be agnostic/atheist by definition.

I have questioned Hinduism and found it acceptable and something whose philosophies over existence, meaning, and overall pathways of living are something that I can abide by. And I appreciate it because it is much more acceptable in you asking questions such as "why am I doing this" than other faiths that require you to have blind obedience.

SwiftSoul

Kinkmeister General
Y'all who are preaching on rationality, I have something to say.

We, as humans, are not a purely rational species. We think, this is certain, but largely, we are a social, hungry, horny, emotion animal. We love our inconsistencies. A million different things aren't necessarily rational, but they have huge followings and are largely benign. Most of fiction isn't rational, we should all rationally know, for example, that Harry Potter is a fabrication, or that Pokemon aren't real, but we still immerse ourselves in these worlds where irrational things are commonplace. This is a Pokemon site, so y'all probably know at least a thing or three about Pokemon, even though immersing yourself in such a world is completely irrational. And we don't have a problem with this, why? It's because playing Pokemon is largely not harmful to oneself or others. Why can't we accept religion the same way? You may mock me, but I do believe in magick, and things unseen. Is that irrational? To you, I am certain it is, but it's not to me.

As long as they don't use it as a reason to harm or discriminate against others, what is specifically wrong with religion except the fact that you personally disagree with it? My druidic faith is big on empathy and caring for all life, be it plant or animal. I'm very big on non-harm. So even though some parts of my spiritual beliefs are irrational from your perspective, isn't the fact that I don't use my faith as a means of persecution acceptable? Go further and it's policing thought, which is always very dangerous territory.

A rainbow is a result of water droplets acting as prisms, and sunlight. We know this, scientifically. But can it not also be something else? What is wrong with it being a miracle of life as well?

Maedar

Banned
Okay, my two cents.

Iran is a theocracy where religion dominates everyone's life.

Would you like living there?

'Nuff said.

SwiftSoul

Kinkmeister General
Maedar, that's completely off-point. No-one here is even remotely calling for a theocracy. In fact, most of us have agreed that religion has no place in politics. This is not an argument about theocracy at all, but rather a person's right to practice (or not) any/all/no religions of his or her choice in modern society. We are not saying anything about religion dominating anyone's life here, at all.

The main argument seems to really be centered on whether religion in general is something negative, positive, or neutral. I find it neutral, overall, as although there are some truly terrible people who use religion for horrible means and as a reason to hate, there are also kind and charitable religious people, whose religion has motivated them to be so.

A few years ago, I was homeless in San Francisco. I had to seek help at a church-run soup kitchen. There were a lot of homeless and needy fed there, and the kindness that was shown reminded me of something that I had forgotten after half my life of abuse at the hands of a religious father: there are truly good people in this world that are Christian. I know it may sound silly that I had forgotten that, but sometimes, it takes a reminder. I have issue with fundamentalists and militants, be they Christian, atheist, Muslim, or anything else.

Trying to force militant atheism on people is just as bad as Christians trying to force the Bible on them.

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
Soul, you are free to practice your religion.

You can personally abide by whatever traditions your faith entails, be it Christian, Judaism, Islam... I don't even care if its Voodoo, the Constitution has no problem.

So long as you abide by the actual law of this country and don't bother anyone with different beliefs.

Don't ram your beliefs down our throats and say that the law of this country must abide by them, because it isn't true one bit.

Freedom of Religion means Freedom From Religion, and you can't say "this is immoral, so it should be illegal".

Well, you can, but an American judge will not rule in your favor.

Last edited:

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
The latter: each human experience is subjective. You and I will see the world differently. For example, an "actual truth" might be you are Aegis, I am Mal, we live on Earth, there is a Moon, etc. I can say the ultimate goal of at least Hinduism is to realize the oneness of everything (a drop of water merging into the ocean) so in that case I wouldn't say you are Aegis or I am Mal but rather there is no difference between us. It's an extreme example but I hope you know what I am saying.
If you adhere to all-out epistemological subjectivism, this whole debate is rather pointless because anyone can legitimately dismiss any argument with a simple "No, I disagree with you." For example, if you say, "We should be religiously tolerant," someone else could say with full epistemological legitimacy that "No, let's persecute them."

It is true that all knowledge is born in the mind and we never see the world for what it truly is, but I don't think this implies that all knowledge is subjective. If the truth value of a proposition does not depend on the person thinking about it, its truth value is objective, when objectivity is understood in the context of Kantian metaphysics with subtle poststructuralist traits. You might argue that there's no absolute proof of whether something is objectively true, if you understand absolute proof in the strictest possible sense, but that applies to every fact.

Define "pure rationality." I actually see them as something that offers meaning behind the rationality of your world.
Pure rationality is the accurate examination of evidence that leads to the most accurate conclusions possible, after the effect of luck has been eliminated. The way I use the word should be understood in the context of Kantian metaphysics with subtle (but only subtle) poststructuralist traits.

You can have an entire range.
That's not what I was wondering about though. Which is better: being bound together by rational thought or blind acceptance of social norms? For instance, even though neither is perfectly rational, which is better: modern society with all its individual liberties, or a theocratic and xenophobic tribal society? Both are communities, but are they of equal moral value?

I have questioned Hinduism and found it acceptable and something whose philosophies over existence, meaning, and overall pathways of living are something that I can abide by. And I appreciate it because it is much more acceptable in you asking questions such as "why am I doing this" than other faiths that require you to have blind obedience.
But if you question all norms included in Hinduism, are you really a Hindu at all? If you truly question all its norms rationally, you have no faith in it and instead only believe the parts that reason says are true. Isn't that a textbook example of agnosticism/atheism? I can easily admit that even the Bible gets some things right, but it hardly makes me a Christian.

Y'all who are preaching on rationality, I have something to say.

We, as humans, are not a purely rational species. We think, this is certain, but largely, we are a social, hungry, horny, emotion animal. We love our inconsistencies. A million different things aren't necessarily rational, but they have huge followings and are largely benign.
People are not completely rational, but they should strive to be as rational as possible. There, problem solved.

Most of fiction isn't rational, we should all rationally know, for example, that Harry Potter is a fabrication, or that Pokemon aren't real, but we still immerse ourselves in these worlds where irrational things are commonplace. This is a Pokemon site, so y'all probably know at least a thing or three about Pokemon, even though immersing yourself in such a world is completely irrational.
EDIT: You need to clarify what you mean. Do you think these worlds are irrational because they violate our laws of physics, or because they are badly written? The first isn't really irrational because the universes have their own laws of physics.

Now, if you are arguing that Harry Potter and Pokemon are badly written fiction and therefore irrational, that's a different thing but really beside the point.

And we don't have a problem with this, why? It's because playing Pokemon is largely not harmful to oneself or others. Why can't we accept religion the same way? You may mock me, but I do believe in magick, and things unseen. Is that irrational? To you, I am certain it is, but it's not to me.
It's certainly true that it doesn't appear irrational to you. We can only try to debate about it rationally to try to see whose understanding of rationality is closer to the truth. There's no absolute proof, if you understand absolute proof in the strictest possible sense, but that applies to every fact.

As long as they don't use it as a reason to harm or discriminate against others, what is specifically wrong with religion except the fact that you personally disagree with it?
The moral obligation to help others live a better life. I'm sure that if someone was trying to jump off the cliff, you'd try to help him even if it was really his business, in a sense.

My druidic faith is big on empathy and caring for all life, be it plant or animal. I'm very big on non-harm. So even though some parts of my spiritual beliefs are irrational from your perspective, isn't the fact that I don't use my faith as a means of persecution acceptable? Go further and it's policing thought, which is always very dangerous territory.
Did you read what I wrote earlier?
Aegiscalibur said:
Oh, and a clarification for this thread: as I have said in a few other threads, I don't want to ban religon by law. That would be pointless. I simply think it's irrational and society would be better off if people rid themselves of it.
I'm just using my right of free speech to talk about why religion is irrational, much like all the religious people are talking about why their faiths are supposedly rational. I don't see how this qualifies as persecution.

A rainbow is a result of water droplets acting as prisms, and sunlight. We know this, scientifically. But can it not also be something else? What is wrong with it being a miracle of life as well?
It could be something else, but the burden of proof is on you. If there are millions of people lined up with different spiritual beliefs, each with no evidence, I am unable to make a distinction between them. Why should I believe that your spiritual belief in particular is right and all the beliefs in contradiction with yours are wrong?

There is a chance your conclusion is correct, but it is not very convincing if your argument is flawed due to lack of evidence. If you don't know, you should just admit that you don't know instead of claiming that you are right without any evidence. That's what having an open mind is all about.

Last edited:

Darth Revan

Coming Out!
Whether you want to believe in a religion or not, religion is usually a sweet thing that brings people together in society. Churches, temples, mosques, etc create a community of similar thinking people to worship and fellowship, and this should not be taken away. I cannot say I am the most well versed in all religions or governments, but I can state some things that religion should not be part of.

Firstly, religion should be separate from the government. A government forcing religion down somebody's throat destroys freedom and causes resentment towards the government. For most of history, countries had a fixed religion that people were forced to convert to and follow religious laws. Muslims and Christians are notorious for forcing the people who they conquered to convert, and that caused much strife and anger. (Not all of the Muslim and Christian lands, but many did for a long time). Also, a faith that has political control over a government nearly always leads to trouble, just look at all the instances of conflict between European kings and the Popes. We all know this, and most countries have religious tolerance now, so it's all good.

However, on the side of religion, having a government try to stifle freedoms of religious people is defiantly not good. And the whole "Separation of Church and State" thing is not fair to religious people. People raise a big fuss over little things, like prayers at sporting events, saying it effects their "Non-religious freedom". In other countries, mostly being the Middle East, governments ban and are hostile to non-Muslims, persecuting and killing them just for having a different faith. So basically, keep government away from religion, but do not stifle religious freedoms.

There are plenty of other things I could say, and I usually don't join a debate on here. This topic is personal to me, being a Christian who wants to defend the freedoms of all faiths. I ain't the best debater, but I wanted to throw in my two cents.

LDSman

Freedom of Religion means Freedom From Religion, and you can't say "this is immoral, so it should be illegal".

Well, you can, but an American judge will not rule in your favor.

Freedom of Religion does not mean Freedom from Religion. You can choose not be religious but you can not choose to not be exposed to religion.

Darth Revan

Coming Out!
Freedom of Religion does not mean Freedom from Religion. You can choose not be religious but you can not choose to not be exposed to religion.

If someone doesn't want to be exposed to religion, they do not have to pay attention to it. They can choose to ignore it and just walk away.

Maedar

Banned

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Read the bold part. Yes it does.

LDSman

Read the bold part. Yes it does.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
It refers to Congress not establishing a religion or stopping someone from being a specific religion.
Read the next section. "prohibiting the free exercise." You can choose to not be religious. You can not choose to make someone else not be religious or interfere in their religious practices.