• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Religion in today's society

Freedom of Religion does not mean Freedom from Religion. You can choose not be religious but you can not choose to not be exposed to religion.

It refers to Congress not establishing a religion or stopping someone from being a specific religion.
Read the next section. "prohibiting the free exercise." You can choose to not be religious. You can not choose to make someone else not be religious or interfere in their religious practices.

You really seem to be contradicting yourself here. You say that you CAN'T choose to not be exposed in your first post. Then you say "you can choose not to be religious".

What you do =/= what other people do.

I can choose to ignore what other people say about religion, therefore I'm technically not being exposed.

LDSman

You really seem to be contradicting yourself here. You say that you CAN'T choose to not be exposed in your first post. Then you say "you can choose not to be religious".
I think you aren't reading it right. Let me clarify. Your choice to not be part of a religion is your "Freedom of Religion." You can not choose to never have anyone talk to you about religion, see any religions symbols, etc. That interferes with someone else's "freedom of religion."

What you do =/= what other people do.
Right. That is "freedom of"

I can choose to ignore what other people say about religion, therefore I'm technically not being exposed.
You are still being "exposed" but you have the choice to join, ignore, whatever. There is no "freedom from" as it directly interferes with "freedom of."

The difference between Freedom of Choice and Freedom from Choice. Which would you prefer?

Maedar

Banned
I choose not to have an organized religion tell me what to do, because this is America.

That make sense to you?

LDSman

I choose not to have an organized religion tell me what to do, because this is America.

That make sense to you?

That would be "freedom of religion." You are choosing to not associate with a religious group.

I'm actually somewhat disappointed as just when this thread had popped up, I was in the middle of working on a more well put together thread about the anti-theist position. It seems as though everybody's favorite card to play against us is that we're "militant" What nonsense. We don't believe in burning peoples precious bibles or punishing the faithful for what they believe in. I myself used to be a devout Christian and I remember what it was like to go to church every Wednesday and Sunday and be "on fire for Jesus" So, don't for one moment make the mistake that those who believe that religious faith is harmful for the world are just somehow out of touch with what religion offers. Do you believe the world would be a better off place without racism? Without sexism? Tribalism? War? All the easy answers to these questions if you're a decent person who cares about morality and ethics is "yes" If it can be argued that religion is the primary catalyst for all of these things today and throughout history, it should follow that religion should be left behind. I don't believe in forcing a racist to love all his fellow men equally, he's more than welcome to keep his views to himself. I just envision a day where people like him are on the fringe of society and they aren't taken seriously anymore, and we have largely accomplished that to an extent. I view religion in the same way. Keep your holy books if you must. Play with these toys if you think it gives you comfort from the cold, black, permanence of death. Fine. Those of us that care about truth at all costs are going to leave you behind though. If you think I'm saying all religious people are rabbid, sexist, racist, genocidal maniacs you'd not only be wrong but would be completely missing the point. All these things would exist without religion, the point is religion is the tried and true incubator for them.

Another thing I wanted to touch on, is the nonsense justification for religion that it creates culture. Yes, it does, but this justification seems to be resting on the assumption that religion is somehow unique in the social binding and culture that it's able to produce. It assumes that if there was no religion, that a culture of secular humanism could not exist. We would have beautiful buildings, beautiful artwork, beautiful songs, with or without religion. Saying otherwise is to say that religion offers an intrinsically unique benefit and if you're going to say that, prove it. Further still, I would argue that religion seems like a catalyst for culture only because in a lot of places, religion was the ultimate and supreme arbiter of what culture was and should be. I know none of you like it when we "militant" atheists pick on the Abrahamic religions (I admit I do like my low hanging fruit.) In Europe for example the Catholic church heavily regulated culture and anything that could be construed as blasphemous or challenging the supremacy of the Catholic church was viciously suppressed. In this vein, religion destroys culture or insists that there can only be one, uniform culture. You can find thousands of other examples in history independent of the big three Abrahamic religions where invading nations weren't just content with conquering their new territory, but saw it fit to eradicate the religion of the nations they were conquering by burning down their temples, shrines, etc.

Ask yourself a question. When has religion ever just been happy making it's grandiose supernatural claims and leaving everyone else alone? It's a cutesy enough idea that we can all just coexist. The world is big enough for the both of us, no? This does not play out in reality. While I may grant an individual person of a certain religious practice to practice his religion freely, he in turn is very unlikely to grant me that same courtesy. While individual adherents of religion can respect others and their differences in belief, religion itself cannot. It simply isn't structured that way. Religious belief focuses on the fact that there is an infallible God(s) who is the divine source of truth and morality. This is dangerous because the fundamental problem is that it already starts out knowing all the answers. If you claim to already know the answers, your view can't be changed by new coming, useful information. If you accept that God is the supreme source of morality for example, the idea that we can progress further as a species and learn more about morality is, right then and there, crushed. Maybe you argue for a broader definition of religion though. (Even though that's what religion is. "Belief in dieties." but I'll humor you.) So you don't think religion has to be centered around an infallible God. Take for example, Native American spiritual practices. The same problem is bound to exist. Assuming that overtime the Native Americans were to progress as a civilization (Which they would have. Scientific inquiry is inherent in all humans) they would be forced to reconcile their discoveries with their spiritual teachings. They would, eventually, come to a bump in the road. They would either be A) Forced to accept their sincerely held beliefs were false or B) Re-interpret their teaching to match what they've observed and come to know about the world, or C) Reject what they've independently observed or come to know through reason in favor of aforementioned sincerely held belief. The tendency to choose C is endemic in all religions. Any religion, whether belief in all powerful deities or some rag tag neo pagan cult is still fundamentally incompatible with science, rational thinking, and skeptical inquiry by its very definition. They aren't "Non overlapping magisteria" they are irreconcilable. That incompatibility is harmful to growth, progress, discovery, truth, and everything else that has gotten humanity to where it is today.

We, as humans, are not a purely rational species. We think, this is certain, but largely, we are a social, hungry, horny, emotion animal. We love our inconsistencies. A million different things aren't necessarily rational, but they have huge followings and are largely benign. Most of fiction isn't rational, we should all rationally know, for example, that Harry Potter is a fabrication, or that Pokemon aren't real, but we still immerse ourselves in these worlds where irrational things are commonplace. This is a Pokemon site, so y'all probably know at least a thing or three about Pokemon, even though immersing yourself in such a world is completely irrational. And we don't have a problem with this, why? It's because playing Pokemon is largely not harmful to oneself or others. Why can't we accept religion the same way? You may mock me, but I do believe in magick, and things unseen. Is that irrational? To you, I am certain it is, but it's not to me.

Don't be ridiculous! Yes we love works of fiction like Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, or Lord of The Rings. Yet, any person knows that while reading them, they are indeed fiction. Not true. Fabrications. Falsehoods. If someone sat next to you on a bus and was reading Harry Potter and turned around and looked at you with a cold dead stare and said "I believe with all my heart that I'm Harry Potter. I believe I can cast spells, speak to snakes, and it's my destiny to destroy the evil lord Voldemort." would you move closer or further way to this person? Every honest person here knows the answer to that question. Most people would sooner think that this person is a danger to themselves and others before they would think something a long the lines of "Wow, I bet that takes a lot of faith. Good for him!" If people don't learn that the protection against falsehoods is just as important as the discovery of truth, we're going to be in a lot of trouble. When religion isn't steeped in bloodshed it's keeping people ignorant and in the dark (Which funny enough, is a huge cause for bloodshed. Fantastic cycle.) Show me a one religion, just one, that isn't at odds with science and is compatible with the known world. Preferably a religion that actually deserves to be called a religion, for example Bhuddism and Confucianism are arguably just moral philosophies. Rise to that challenge and then we'll talk. Until then, I more or less see the inability of fellow secularists to critisize religion for what it is and what it does as severely disappointing and borderline cowardly. The stakes are too important to give a damn about making waves.

I also wanted to quote this from rationalwiki in a hope to end this insipid "militant atheist" mantra.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Antitheism

The term "militant" atheism is often used as a pejorative to antitheists and strong atheists alike. It finds its origin in the spur of atheism during the late 19th century and has been applied as a slippery slope term for antireligious persecutions. Many modern writers with a strong atheistic or anti-religious stance are accused of militant behavior because of their direct criticism of religion. The term itself is a form of political framing and demagoguery by use of the word "militant". In reality, there is nothing threatening or hostile about it. Modern atheism is certainly more outspoken. Some might even say that it's evangelical. But it's important to understand that a majority of atheists and antitheists do not want to forcefully abolish religion or peoples' right to exercise their freedom of religion. Religion, theism, and their encroachment into government and public affairs are well within the rights of atheists and theists alike to debate, criticize, and discuss. That more and more atheists are choosing to do so, and that modern atheists are very vocal and often proselytizing, does not make it militant. In short, you will never see 10,000 atheists throwing pipe bombs into cars and buildings, rioting because a Danish cartoonist furnished a blank piece of paper, though you may find them mass rounding up religious individuals and punishing them and/or attempting to "rehabilitate" their beliefs for which there is no apparent evidence.[6]

Can we all consider this bug squashed and move on?

Last edited:
I think you aren't reading it right. Let me clarify. Your choice to not be part of a religion is your "Freedom of Religion." You can not choose to never have anyone talk to you about religion, see any religions symbols, etc. That interferes with someone else's "freedom of religion."

Right. That is "freedom of"

You are still being "exposed" but you have the choice to join, ignore, whatever. There is no "freedom from" as it directly interferes with "freedom of."

The difference between Freedom of Choice and Freedom from Choice. Which would you prefer?

Well, thanks for clarifying.

As for the question, Id prefer freedom from. It would be much better if people kept their beliefs to themselves. Even talking about them gets pushy at times.

LDSman

Well, thanks for clarifying.

As for the question, Id prefer freedom from. It would be much better if people kept their beliefs to themselves. Even talking about them gets pushy at times.

Freedom from choice is not freedom for anyone.

Whether you want to believe in a religion or not, religion is usually a sweet thing that brings people together in society.
Religion is certainly not a "sweet thing". Cover up of rape and pedophilia, murder of men and women due to blasphemy, holding back condoms from Africans, and discrimination- earlier, it was black people, then gay people.

Firstly, religion should be separate from the government.
And the whole "Separation of Church and State" thing is not fair to religious people.
You do realize it was created so that religious people could never be discriminated against again, right? This was created by Christians mostly for Christians to make certain neither them nor anyone else would ever be denied of their belief (or nonbelief!). To say it "isn't fair" is ignorant.

People raise a big fuss over little things, like prayers at sporting events, saying it effects their "Non-religious freedom". So basically, keep government away from religion, but do not stifle religious freedoms.
No one has the "religious freedom" to chant at a football game for their dark lord Satan. Why in the world is it ok for any other group to do so? Why don't we allow all groups to worship before the game? Oh, that's right... there's too many. And picking one would exclude the others. I doubt a Christian mother down south would approve of satanic rituals before their prayer to Jesus. Why can't we understand that refraining from forcing anyone to sit through a ritual another might find offensive or deluded is wrong?

I just don't understand why an omnipotent God can't hear you pray in your head and accept it just as well as spoken word. Save it for church, where no one can or will disagree with the practice.

Freedom from choice is not freedom for anyone.
First time for everything, I guess. This first is emphatically agreeing with LDS- people should be able to express their religion, pray, sing worships to Jesus, whatever they want, in any non-mandatory or exclusivist event. If people are doing this on their own time, who has the right to stop them? They are choosing to do it, and no one has to stand around and listen if they don't want to.

Last edited:

Darth Revan

Coming Out!
Religion is certainly not a "sweet thing". Cover up of rape and pedophilia, murder of men and women due to blasphemy, holding back condoms from Africans, and discrimination- earlier, it was black people, then gay people.

Sorry, I failed to clarify. I meant to say religion CAN be a sweet thing.

I stand corrected for my other points.

However, you cannot say that all religions in the present day are racist, sexist, homophobic murderer cover ups. It is a huge shame and embarrassment for the Christian church for the mistakes made by some very selfish men, who caused such things as the Crusades. Those atrocities were done in the name of God, to cover up their personal greed. However, there are Muslims who are hostile to people of other religions, women, etc. And the radicals do murder and persecute among other things.

Love you.

LDSman

I stand corrected for my other points.

However, you cannot say that all religions in the present day are racist, sexist, homophobic murderer cover ups. It is a huge shame and embarrassment for the Christian church for the mistakes made by some very selfish men, who caused such things as the Crusades. Those atrocities were done in the name of God, to cover up their personal greed. However, there are Muslims who are hostile to people of other religions, women, etc. And the radicals do murder and persecute among other things.

Love you.

The Crusades weren't motivated, for the most part, by greed. There were likely to be people who saw a chance to make money, but they were a small part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

In 1095 Pope Urban II proclaimed the first crusade, with the stated goal of restoring Christian access to the holy places in and near Jerusalem. Many historians and some of those involved at the time, like Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, give equal precedence to other papal-sanctioned military campaigns undertaken for a variety of religious, economic, and political reasons, such as the Albigensian Crusade, the Aragonese Crusade, the Reconquista, and the Northern Crusades.[1] Following the first crusade there was an intermittent 200-year struggle for control of the Holy Land, with six more major crusades and numerous minor ones

It started due to Muslims conquests into areas that had been Christian.

http://www.ask.com/question/what-caused-the-crusades

Maedar

Banned
There are plenty of ways religion is used as an excuse of violence.

After a Denmark newspaper made that editorial cartoon depicting Mohammed with a bomb for a turban, Islamic groups insisted that Islam wasn't violent, and tried to prove it by starting riots in Copenhagan.

There's this rather pleasant story too.

http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1689769,00.html

Read it closely. This teacher's "crime" was letting her class name a teddy bear after Mohammed. While the maximum sentence she could have gotten was 40 lashes or a year in prison, the judge went easy on her, and only gave her 15 days in jail. But over a thousand enraged citizens expressed their "nonviolence" by ordering her execution.

All over a damn teddy bear. (And before you ask, the Sudanese government was not about to cave to the lunatics. Ms. Gibbons was pardoned and released three days after being sentenced, meaning she did eight with time served.)

This says a lot about human nature. Maybe Hobbes was, indeed, right about some people when he said that a human is an inherently evil creature who, if left without any authority, would kill a man simply to gain so much as a piece of bread rather than paying for it.

Last edited:
Absolutely, it can. It can be an actual benefit for many, many people who are involved.

However, you cannot say that all religions in the present day are racist, sexist, homophobic murderer cover ups.
And I wouldn't.

And the radicals do murder and persecute among other things.
The thing with religion, is that it has the potential to become radical at the drop of a hat. It is irrational at its base and as such the beliefs can morph and transform at the drop of a hat.

Love you.
Lol ok man, love you too.

Silver Soul

You know that conservatives of US is attempting to pass bills that allows discrimination against LGBT by denying them services in the name of their religious beliefs. So here's the thing... why are they doing such things? Is it because of the fears of their religion not being as dominant in a nation that was founded as a secular society? Is it because of the belief that Christians are better than everyone who is not them? This teacher of Louisiana thinks so.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...y-bullying-buddhist-student-article-1.1590578

For the record, I'm a Catholic and it gets me mad that those right-wing Christians would use Jesus's name in doing things that contradicts him like saying that Jesus would use a gun. I guess people CAN choose to not actually follow their beliefs but remember.

BJPalmer85

Religion is fine with me as long as people do not try to use what their particular faith teaches as fact in discussions and that they do not try to force their belief systems on others.

I was born and raised Catholic, went to Catholic grade school and high school and attended church nearly ever Sunday until my grandfather passed away when I was 15 (almost 16). I left the Catholic faith because I began to question a lot of things and found numerous inconsistencies and hypocrisies within the Catholic faith. I feel the same way about many of the other religions that I have studied and have come to the conclusion that it is not for me, a sentiment that is shared by my wife. My in-laws are very religious (brother-in-law is a Methodist minister) and there is a lot of negativity cast our way (wife & I) because we do not attend church. I feel that how I spend my life and how I treat and give back to my fellow man is far more important and if I am wrong and there is some all powerful God that judges us at the end of our lives than that will count for more than the number of hours I spent in church.

Believe what you want, dont try to force it on people.

B

Post Moderation

Invisible Presence
You know that conservatives of US is attempting to pass bills that allows discrimination against LGBT by denying them services in the name of their religious beliefs. So here's the thing... why are they doing such things? Is it because of the fears of their religion not being as dominant in a nation that was founded as a secular society? Is it because of the belief that Christians are better than everyone who is not them? This teacher of Louisiana thinks so.

For the record, I'm a Catholic and it gets me mad that those right-wing Christians would use Jesus's name in doing things that contradicts him like saying that Jesus would use a gun. I guess people CAN choose to not actually follow their beliefs but remember.

I agree with this. While I believe that the LGBT lifestyle is questional, I do not believe that those people should be denied basic services such as healthcare and insurance solely because of their sexual orientation. Jesus did condemn certain lifestyles but not the actual people themselves. I feel that those who are trying to get these bills passed are somehow condemning LGBT people themselves, not just their lifestyles.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
I agree with this. While I believe that the LGBT lifestyle is questional, I do not believe that those people should be denied basic services such as healthcare and insurance solely because of their sexual orientation. Jesus did condemn certain lifestyles but not the actual people themselves. I feel that those who are trying to get these bills passed are somehow condemning LGBT people themselves, not just their lifestyles.

Just thought I'd pop in with this.
As I mentioned in another thread, in John 17:15,16, Jesus told his followers to be "Not of the world" or "No part of the world" (Depends on the translation you use). Now, riddle me this, would a person actively fighting to change the world by being involved in politics, like say opposing a gay-rights bill, be really following this command? In fact those who oppose gay rights would be in violation of Jesus's teaching as much as those supporting them. Jesus basically told his followers to stay out of politics.

BJPalmer85

If all the religious texts written were rewritten to take current views into account, they would be vastly different. If religions hadn't taken a clear stance on topics like homosexuality thousands of years ago things would be different. Consider that, these teachings are passed down through generations, beginning in a generation where certain things, that today are ok, then could have gotten you killed.

Just a thought...

B

Darth Revan

Coming Out!
The whole homosexual situation and Christianity is a really sad thing. Like I believe I said earlier, not all Christians believe that homosexuals are going straight to hell, especially my church. My pastor seldom talks about homosexuality, but a few times he has mentioned it. And never ONCE have I heard anyone in my church say anything regarding the damnation of a gay person for being gay. And, a few bigoted people who are too stubborn to realize they should be KIND to those people.

The whole homosexuals VS Religion argument is getting annoying, and gets brought up WAY too often, and causes way too much anger.

BJPalmer85

The whole homosexual situation and Christianity is a really sad thing. Like I believe I said earlier, not all Christians believe that homosexuals are going straight to hell, especially my church. My pastor seldom talks about homosexuality, but a few times he has mentioned it. And never ONCE have I heard anyone in my church say anything regarding the damnation of a gay person for being gay. And, a few bigoted people who are too stubborn to realize they should be KIND to those people.

The whole homosexuals VS Religion argument is getting annoying, and gets brought up WAY too often, and causes way too much anger.

It is brought up to much and I agree that it is annoying. However, the main argument against homosexual anything is religious based, so until people who are "pro-religious views" come around and realize they are wrong, the topic will continue to come up. Fight the anger, it shows them that they are getting to you, use logic, they can't fight that forever.

B