• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Religion in today's society

But this isn't just about US law though, I'm referring to laws in general. Sharia law is an example of religious law.
And to my knowledge is the only example of religious law that is still culturally relevant today. Most countries in the first world follow political philosophy first, which includes how laws are established. The U.S. law of the land is a secular document in nature and follows a social contract, capitalist mindset. ECL, as far as I remember, just follows how law is established; the U.S. does model after it.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Interesting law reset scenario. I lie how you said that humanity would still ban murder on the basis that murder is bad. Without the Bible to defend them, misogyny and slavery will also not last nearly as long as it did in our world.

Well, that was just a hypothetical situation. As for misogyny and slavery, well, who really knows? But it's a lot of "what if" scenario forecasting.

You missed my point. Of course it's true that people can't agree on morality, but what I'm talking about is what genuine morality is like. People's moral beliefs are contingent, but genuine morality is universal. People form their beliefs based on various factors, but what should they believe?

Applied to your situation, the question becomes: if you know that your faith in religious doctrines originates from contingent factors such as your background, upbringing, and circumstances, why do you choose to continue to believe in them? If you know religious norms are a product of historical chance, why do you accept them so blindly instead of thinking independently?

People would have differences of opinion even based on genuine morality. For Christians, the role model for genuine morality is Jesus Christ. Some believe otherwise. There are countless factors that could determine a person's look at morality, but none of them will be in perfect alignment with another person. What we have instead are generalized guidelines and laws of permissible behavior.

As for my one's own reflection of faith in God and the Bible, that's their own personal connection with God. You haven't seen what they have seen nor have you experienced what they have gone through. But from my their own position, maybe they've seen and/or felt enough to be convinced God is real and that there is plenty beyond what can be perceived by normal human perception. Now, sure, you could consider the "what ifs" and say "well, what if they were born in another place and time" or "what if this had happened instead - would their beliefs be the same?" I mean yeah, we could spend eons thinking those possibilities over, but that's just not what was meant to be. If they had been born during such-and-such century or whatever, well, I don't know really. We could spend many hours dreaming about it but that's basically as far as we'd get with it.

And I wouldn't consider it "thinking blindly" versus "thinking independently" when it comes to theism versus atheism. I mean, believing in God doesn't mean you suddenly become some chanting zombie that loses all personality and independent consciousness. You could still easily believe in God and still have a very open mindset when it comes to belief plus any other things. Being atheist/agnostic doesn't mean you're totally free/independent and more open-minded than someone who is a theist.

And to my knowledge is the only example of religious law that is still culturally relevant today. Most countries in the first world follow political philosophy first, which includes how laws are established. The U.S. law of the land is a secular document in nature and follows a social contract, capitalist mindset. ECL, as far as I remember, just follows how law is established; the U.S. does model after it.

True, but if I recall correctly, the original question was "is religion still relevant is today's society?" The answer is a definite yes, Sharia law being one of the most direct examples. Now, the amount of how much the Bible had influence over the exact creation of US law is up in the air, but given the fact that the vast majority of people in the US follow some kind of religion, it's likely the core belief values the lawmakers had was in part influenced by those religious doctrines. How much or how little, no one truly knows and there is no way to quantify the amount, but it's more likely the case than it is not. But yeah, that's another discussion that probably wouldn't ever reach a solid conclusion since there's no way to quantifiably measure than in human terms.

True, but if I recall correctly, the original question was "is religion still relevant is today's society?"
The actual question was "does religion have a place in today's society?" I thought that was what you were responding to. If you were responding to "is it still relevant in today's society", then yes, I can see your answers as being reasonable.

Now, the amount of how much the Bible had influence over the exact creation of US law is up in the air, but given the fact that the vast majority of people in the US follow some kind of religion, it's likely the core belief values the lawmakers had was in part influenced by those religious doctrines.
It doesn't matter whatsoever. First of all, most of the founders were deistic, rich, land owning white men. The primary influence is generally said to be status and Locke's social contract theory. Given that the document is expressly secular, it's not unreasonable to assume religious thought had little impact on the document, other than to deny persecution of any kind due to religion.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
People would have differences of opinion even based on genuine morality. For Christians, the role model for genuine morality is Jesus Christ. Some believe otherwise. There are countless factors that could determine a person's look at morality, but none of them will be in perfect alignment with another person. What we have instead are generalized guidelines and laws of permissible behavior.
I already made a distinction between genuine morality and people's moral beliefs. I'm not talking about what Christians think; I'm talking about what is actually correct. If people really understood genuine, universal morality, they wouldn't have a difference in opinion. That's what being universal is all about.

Btw, basing morality on figures of authority is incorrect. If e.g. Jesus was right about something, it has to be determined based on the reasoning he gave, not his position as a figure of authority.

As for my one's own reflection of faith in God and the Bible, that's their own personal connection with God. You haven't seen what they have seen nor have you experienced what they have gone through. But from my their own position, maybe they've seen and/or felt enough to be convinced God is real and that there is plenty beyond what can be perceived by normal human perception. Now, sure, you could consider the "what ifs" and say "well, what if they were born in another place and time" or "what if this had happened instead - would their beliefs be the same?" I mean yeah, we could spend eons thinking those possibilities over, but that's just not what was meant to be. If they had been born during such-and-such century or whatever, well, I don't know really. We could spend many hours dreaming about it but that's basically as far as we'd get with it.
When you encounter the need to make a decision, can you genuinely think that you are only some drone that can't think for itself? No. Even if you at some level think so, from your own point of view you will have to make a normative judgment based on your own choice.

In essence, if you know so well that you are a Christian only because your parents, surrounding society etc. made you think that way, it should be reason enough to question the dogmas of Christianity. The society surrounding you doesn't always teach you the correct things, does it?

And I wouldn't consider it "thinking blindly" versus "thinking independently" when it comes to theism versus atheism. I mean, believing in God doesn't mean you suddenly become some chanting zombie that loses all personality and independent consciousness. You could still easily believe in God and still have a very open mindset when it comes to belief plus any other things.
I am not saying that religious people are perfectly irrational. I am saying that their rationality is constrained by religious dogmas. Whatever you get right, a perfectly rational actor would also get right, but he would also be right in areas where you are wrong because of your adherence to religious dogmas.

Being atheist/agnostic doesn't mean you're totally free/independent and more open-minded than someone who is a theist.
All agnostic people are not perfectly rational, but a perfectly rational actor would be agnostic.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
I already made a distinction between genuine morality and people's moral beliefs. I'm not talking about what Christians think; I'm talking about what is actually correct. If people really understood genuine, universal morality, they wouldn't have a difference in opinion. That's what being universal is all about.

Btw, basing morality on figures of authority is incorrect. If e.g. Jesus was right about something, it has to be determined based on the reasoning he gave, not his position as a figure of authority.

I think the problem here is that by the standards you're using, true universal genuine morality and moral beliefs is simply impossible. Humans would have to be omniscient to accomplish that, and... we'd all have to be clones. A perfect morality system on the plane we live on just can't be done.

As for basing morality on figures of authority, it's a combination of several factors like what they stand for, their teachings/instructions, and what goals they are working toward.

When you encounter the need to make a decision, can you genuinely think that you are only some drone that can't think for itself? No. Even if you at some level think so, from your own point of view you will have to make a normative judgment based on your own choice.

In essence, if you know so well that you are a Christian only because your parents, surrounding society etc. made you think that way, it should be reason enough to question the dogmas of Christianity. The society surrounding you doesn't always teach you the correct things, does it?

Of course. No human can be perfect. Everyone has faults here there and anyone that doesn't admit to them would simply be lying. Also, parents, surrounding society, and so on were a part of my personal decision to be Christian. I very well could have changed my religion if I decided differently, but that's not the case as I feel comfortable and confident in my beliefs.

I am not saying that religious people are perfectly irrational. I am saying that their rationality is constrained by religious dogmas. Whatever you get right, a perfectly rational actor would also get right, but he would also be right in areas where you are wrong because of your adherence to religious dogmas.

All agnostic people are not perfectly rational, but a perfectly rational actor would be agnostic.

Nah, there's more to the rationality of religious people than just religious dogmas. If I'm looking to paint my room blue or white, well, the Bible isn't really going to have an answer for that. If I think it's better to go shopping at night as opposed to the afternoon, well, that's based on a whole different rationality than Christian teaching.

Also, who is this perfectly rational actor you speak of?

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
I think the problem here is that by the standards you're using, true universal genuine morality and moral beliefs is simply impossible. Humans would have to be omniscient to accomplish that, and... we'd all have to be clones. A perfect morality system on the plane we live on just can't be done.
I am not saying that there will be a point of time when everyone is morally perfect. I am saying that people should aim to be as morally good as possible. It's a normative statement. Is there any point in doing things wrong on purpose by not even trying to improve your understanding of morality?

As for basing morality on figures of authority, it's a combination of several factors like what they stand for, their teachings/instructions, and what goals they are working toward.
But if there's sufficient evidence to prove specific teachings right or wrong, you should do that directly. It's the surest way.

Of course. No human can be perfect. Everyone has faults here there and anyone that doesn't admit to them would simply be lying. Also, parents, surrounding society, and so on were a part of my personal decision to be Christian. I very well could have changed my religion if I decided differently, but that's not the case as I feel comfortable and confident in my beliefs.
Emotions can be unreliable. Is there any more reliable evidence that lead you to remaining Christian? For example, is there evidence of the core beliefs like God's existence or his moral perfection?

Nah, there's more to the rationality of religious people than just religious dogmas. If I'm looking to paint my room blue or white, well, the Bible isn't really going to have an answer for that. If I think it's better to go shopping at night as opposed to the afternoon, well, that's based on a whole different rationality than Christian teaching.
Err, you really missed the point here. You are basically saying that you will settle for getting only some things right while getting other things wrong due to adherence to religious dogmas. Why not aim for getting everything right?

A rational person can also paint his room in the right way, but he will also figure out that there is no rational reason to believe in God's existence, so he won't waste his time going to church or praying. It's all benefit, no loss.

Also, who is this perfectly rational actor you speak of?
It's a hypothetical construct whose actions reflect rationality. You can argue about whether my ideas of particular rational judgments are right, but you will be hard-pressed to argue that we shouldn't aim to be rational. (Well, some have tried regardless.) What's the point of being irrational on purpose?

Last edited:

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
I am not saying that there will be a point of time when everyone is morally perfect. I am saying that people should aim to be as morally good as possible. It's a normative statement. Is there any point in doing things wrong on purpose by not even trying to improve your understanding of morality?

Right, but being morally good means different things to different people. Also, some people may know the right choice, but they'll do something different based on the situation. Maybe they'll cut corners to save money and time, do something silly just for fun and laughs, and so on. Humans are not like machines.

But if there's sufficient evidence to prove specific teachings right or wrong, you should do that directly. It's the surest way.

Again, it largely depends on the situation and what factors and variables are involved. Some will feel the evidence presented isn't enough to prove the correct choice, while others will. But at one point or another, eventually a choice has to be made.

Emotions can be unreliable. Is there any more reliable evidence that lead you to remaining Christian? For example, is there evidence of the core beliefs like God's existence or his moral perfection?

Well, there are a lot of things that aren't always reliable. Again, it kind of sounds like you're seeking out the perfect evidence of something that won't be found here.

Evidence surrounding the notion of faith is tricky, because we're talking about things that very rarely appear on this plane of existence in a form that can be perceived by the standard human senses. And many of these same things cannot be so easily perceived by human sight, hearing, touch, smell, and taste. One could experience a vision from God, and it would be dismissed as a hallucination by others. One might feel they heard the voice of God, and yet others would believe that person is schizophrenic. That's the problem here. Look at Joan of Arcadia's case as an example of that.

Err, you really missed the point here. You are basically saying that you will settle for getting only some things right while getting other things wrong due to adherence to religious dogmas. Why not aim for getting everything right?

Because humans can't get everything right, and your personal choice all depends on what you think is right and wrong based on what you personally believe in. It's impossible to be perfect and get everything right time and time again in terms of facts and answers, but in terms of ethics and morality, the playing field changes. Very, very often, we don't have all the answers that rule out all the uncertainties, and we're left having to make a choice despite the risks. The "paralysis of analysis" is the problem of waiting too long to make a choice, which results in a missed opportunity. I think the situation here is my choice is different from yours, and that's pretty much the whole story.

The other thing is I think that's where the atheist/agnostic argument is flawed, because it just seems like this group of non-believers feels there is perfect evidence that exists in this plane of existence that will explain everything and define all universal logic, rationality, and context and the right choice will become 100% perfectly crystal clear to the entire universe, but they're not willing to settle on any decision until this perfect evidence is found. My question is, what are you expecting to find and where and when to you think it will ever be found?

A rational person can also paint his room in the right way, but he will also figure out that there is no rational reason to believe in God's existence, so he won't waste his time going to church or praying. It's all benefit, no loss.

Again though, how would you define "the right way?" What would it be, white or blue, and how would perfection be determined in this case? Some people would go with white, others blue, others something totally different, but yet there is no one universal color that everyone in existence will agree on. Also, your belief that a person who has no reason to believe in God's existence is your own belief on what you think is "rational." And that you believe it's "all benefit, no loss" is your opinion. Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, but again, it's not fact, and it's not what everyone believes.

It's a hypothetical construct whose actions reflect rationality. You can argue about whether my ideas of particular rational judgments are right, but you will be hard-pressed to argue that we shouldn't aim to be rational. (Well, some have tried regardless.) What's the point of being irrational on purpose?

Again, I think with every religious debate I've gotten into, the wall that eventually kills the entire debate is based on semantics.

Your idea of "rationality" is different from mine and from the next guy and as a result, because the same word can mean different things to different people, it eventually touches down and stops because different people have different perspectives and you'll never have a perfectly aligned parallel of beliefs across the entire universe.

In the end, it seems you feel just being an independent thinker is rational. I feel that following my faith in God because it gives me hope, inner peace, and guidance is rational.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
Right, but being morally good means different things to different people. Also, some people may know the right choice, but they'll do something different based on the situation. Maybe they'll cut corners to save money and time, do something silly just for fun and laughs, and so on. Humans are not like machines.

Again, it largely depends on the situation and what factors and variables are involved. Some will feel the evidence presented isn't enough to prove the correct choice, while others will. But at one point or another, eventually a choice has to be made.

Because humans can't get everything right, and your personal choice all depends on what you think is right and wrong based on what you personally believe in. It's impossible to be perfect and get everything right time and time again in terms of facts and answers, but in terms of ethics and morality, the playing field changes. Very, very often, we don't have all the answers that rule out all the uncertainties, and we're left having to make a choice despite the risks. The "paralysis of analysis" is the problem of waiting too long to make a choice, which results in a missed opportunity. I think the situation here is my choice is different from yours, and that's pretty much the whole story.

Again though, how would you define "the right way?" What would it be, white or blue, and how would perfection be determined in this case? Some people would go with white, others blue, others something totally different, but yet there is no one universal color that everyone in existence will agree on. Also, your belief that a person who has no reason to believe in God's existence is your own belief on what you think is "rational." And that you believe it's "all benefit, no loss" is your opinion. Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, but again, it's not fact, and it's not what everyone believes.

Again, I think with every religious debate I've gotten into, the wall that eventually kills the entire debate is based on semantics.

Your idea of "rationality" is different from mine and from the next guy and as a result, because the same word can mean different things to different people, it eventually touches down and stops because different people have different perspectives and you'll never have a perfectly aligned parallel of beliefs across the entire universe.
So it's the argument on subjectivity again. Alright, I'm game.

Like I said earlier, you can argue about whether my ideas of particular rational judgments are right. Obviously my understanding of rationality has been formed in my mind and all knowledge originates in the human mind. However, it doesn't imply that I have to consider everyone equally right unless they can provide me with some reasoning I find plausible.

After all, if we adhere to all-out subjectivism, I hope you realize that anyone could also dismiss your arguments with a simple "I disagree" in full legitimacy. You say that religious dogmas offer legit knowledge? Anyone could throw it right back at you. That wouldn't be much of a debate.

So could you tell more specifically about what evidence has lead you to believe in Christianity in particular? There are countless religions out there. If in your judgment there's no less evidence of Zeus or Thor, for example, why don't you believe in them as well?

Well, there are a lot of things that aren't always reliable. Again, it kind of sounds like you're seeking out the perfect evidence of something that won't be found here.

Evidence surrounding the notion of faith is tricky, because we're talking about things that very rarely appear on this plane of existence in a form that can be perceived by the standard human senses. And many of these same things cannot be so easily perceived by human sight, hearing, touch, smell, and taste. One could experience a vision from God, and it would be dismissed as a hallucination by others. One might feel they heard the voice of God, and yet others would believe that person is schizophrenic. That's the problem here. Look at Joan of Arcadia's case as an example of that.

The other thing is I think that's where the atheist/agnostic argument is flawed, because it just seems like this group of non-believers feels there is perfect evidence that exists in this plane of existence that will explain everything and define all universal logic, rationality, and context and the right choice will become 100% perfectly crystal clear to the entire universe, but they're not willing to settle on any decision until this perfect evidence is found. My question is, what are you expecting to find and where and when to you think it will ever be found?
Agnosticism is not like that at all. If you don't have sufficient evidence to make a judgment, you should openly admit that you don't know. If you don't have evidence of God's existence, why don't you just admit that you don't know whether he exists? I don't have to provide 100 % certain evidence (if such a thing even exists) that God doesn't exist to question whether he exists. If you claim that God exists, the burden of proof is on you.

In the end, it seems you feel just being an independent thinker is rational. I feel that following my faith in God because it gives me hope, inner peace, and guidance is rational.
I find hope and inner peace poor criteria for the truth. A man can find hope and inner peace in thinking that he is Alexander the Great; it doesn't mean that he actually is.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
Well, that was just a hypothetical situation. As for misogyny and slavery, well, who really knows? But it's a lot of "what if" scenario forecasting.

Your entire post was about a "what if" scenario. Are you really going to backtrack now that I pointed out that the Bible held society back in multiple ways?

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
So it's the argument on subjectivity again. Alright, I'm game.

Well, it's either stay on neutral ground with subjectivity as the topic for consideration, or slather on the Bible verses and references, which correct me if I'm wrong, but as an atheist, I'm sure you don't really care for that.

Like I said earlier, you can argue about whether my ideas of particular rational judgments are right. Obviously my understanding of rationality has been formed in my mind and all knowledge originates in the human mind. However, it doesn't imply that I have to consider everyone equally right unless they can provide me with some reasoning I find plausible.

Right, and that happens on a daily basis with people. Factors like bias, favoring, prejudice, all of that comes into play, even if we are trying to kid ourselves. Often people make assumptions based on patterns and memories they've seen before. They may not always be right, but experience tells them the probability of certain events happening usually follow certain conditions.

After all, if we adhere to all-out subjectivism, I hope you realize that anyone could also dismiss your arguments with a simple "I disagree" in full legitimacy. You say that religious dogmas offer legit knowledge? Anyone could throw it right back at you. That wouldn't be much of a debate.

Bingo, that's pretty much the reality of the situation. I mean, I could argue the Bible as fact until I'm blue in the face, but in the end, it's your call to accept that or just feel it's pure poppycock. You know how you feel in your heart and in their end, it's your perspective and your perception on it. Sure, outside influences are always surrounding you, but in the end, you decide what is accepted and what is dismissed. And that differs from everyone else.

So could you tell more specifically about what evidence has lead you to believe in Christianity in particular? There are countless religions out there. If in your judgment there's no less evidence of Zeus or Thor, for example, why don't you believe in them as well?

Christianity seems the most logical to me. I believe in God because given the nature of the world, the planets, and the entire universe, something of that extreme expanse is the work of a divine creator, planner, engineer, and architect. I look at the world, its oceans, forests, mountains, skies, and all of the interesting creatures that inhabit it, and I see that as the work of a divine creator, the same way that an artist or sculptor creates their work with aspects like balance, symmetry, and creativity, but on an incredibly large scale that takes balance, ingenuity, and meticulous construction. Even planets that have no living creatures on them are all still unique, whether it's Saturn with its signature orbiting rings, or the gigantic Jupiter with its myriad of mixing gasses that in turn create an object of fascination, very much like art. To me, all this couldn't have possibly been accidental or coincidence. I appreciate all of these as God's miracles and creations, because mankind, even with all of our technology and knowledge, still can't even come close to replicating such creations, and we've barely even scratched the surface when it comes to exploring the entirety of the universe.

Why do I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God and the savior? There's plenty of evidence of Jesus walking the earth and teaching others, and I find the multiple gospels, eyewitness accounts, and the wisdom in the Bible are inspiring and assure a message of peace, hope, and friendship. I also feel Jesus Christ taught a message of real strength: To love your enemy even when they hate you. To be generous to even a thief, and not to seek wealth or materialism, but to live a humble life in peace and friendship the way he did. If everyone did that, there would be no war, no hate, and no greed. And to do that is extremely hard, but to me, given the miracles he performed and the fact he lived among the poor and humble even when he could have easily lived in splendor and power, that takes incredible, heroic and admirable strength and heart. Given his selfless sacrifice to destroy sin and give us a second chance at salvation, that's something I find admirable and is someone I can believe in.

Last October, my mother passed away from cancer. We were gathered around her deathbed in her last few moments of life, but before she passed away, I saw a brief, short vision of her rising from her bed, looking anew, relieved, and alive again, so much so that I looked up totally in shock and awe, but then I saw it was just that. A vision, but it gave me comfort in a way despite the extreme grief I was facing. Now, you may consider that a daydream or a hallucination, but here's the kicker of the story.

My brother and sister, who were gathered around her deathbed at the same time, had the EXACT SAME VISION. That, to me, could not have possibly been just a coincidence.

As another instance, it was late at night and I was closing things down to head to sleep, and I looked toward the chair where my mom spent her time taking an afternoon nap or having a casual family discussion. Right where the chair was, there was this unusual glimmer of light that should have been impossible at that hour. Now, you could say it was from something outside, or maybe an eye trick, but then I would return the same question and say why would it be right there, so soon after she had passed away?

So yeah, take all that as you'd like, but to me, all of that affirms my faith. You may see things differently, but to me, that's more than enough evidence. Also, I know you're an atheist and don't feel the same way, but please, out of respect for a loss that was extremely close and personal to me, don't nitpick all that. I even had trouble typing that out. You asked why and that's my answer. Please, let's just leave it at that.

Agnosticism is not like that at all. If you don't have sufficient evidence to make a judgment, you should openly admit that you don't know. If you don't have evidence of God's existence, why don't you just admit that you don't know whether he exists? I don't have to provide 100 % certain evidence (if such a thing even exists) that God doesn't exist to question whether he exists. If you claim that God exists, the burden of proof is on you.

Even without sufficient evidence to make a judgment, eventually you will have to come to a decision. And yes, running out of time is also a decision. If the building is on fire and you're not sure whether to try climbing out the window or make a break for the stairs, well, you don't have much time, and even though you question the safety and chance of survival of both options, you have to decide even without evidence to confirm the outcome, nature, and circumstances of the decision you're faced with. It's more of a matter of making a choice given what you have to work with as opposed to striving for a clear-cut confirmation.

And hey, it's that familiar burden of proof statement! I was wondering when that was going to show up. Hello there, I was ready for ya.

Pointing back to what I said before, it depends on the person and what they personally feel is enough proof (gotcha!). For some, the Bible itself is enough proof. For others, they don't believe until they have a brush with death, or possibly a situation where they were clinically dead for a while and were revitalized. For others, it may be not until they pass away or the second coming of Christ, and only when they are a firsthand eyewitness will they believe. And everything in between. In your perspective, you simply haven't seen enough. I don't know when you will, if you will, nor do I know what exactly it would take. Same thing goes for John Doe if he's an atheist/agnostic person, or Sam who believes in an entirely different religion. That's pretty much the reality of the situation, take it as you please.

I find hope and inner peace poor criteria for the truth. A man can find hope and inner peace in thinking that he is Alexander the Great; it doesn't mean that he actually is.

Well, again, that's going on the basis of what you personally think is rational and what I think is rational. Again, you're entitled to your opinion, but hey, just know that's still an opinion and not a universal truth everyone can accept. To each his own in this situation. You may think my beliefs are nonsense, and okay, again, you're entitled to your opinion, but in the end, I'm entitled to my own opinion too. That's just how things work.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
Just a few general observations:
Christianity seems the most logical to me. I believe in God because given the nature of the world, the planets, and the entire universe, something of that extreme expanse is the work of a divine creator, planner, engineer, and architect. I look at the world, its oceans, forests, mountains, skies, and all of the interesting creatures that inhabit it, and I see that as the work of a divine creator, the same way that an artist or sculptor creates their work with aspects like balance, symmetry, and creativity, but on an incredibly large scale that takes balance, ingenuity, and meticulous construction. Even planets that have no living creatures on them are all still unique, whether it's Saturn with its signature orbiting rings, or the gigantic Jupiter with its myriad of mixing gasses that in turn create an object of fascination, very much like art. To me, all this couldn't have possibly been accidental or coincidence. I appreciate all of these as God's miracles and creations, because mankind, even with all of our technology and knowledge, still can't even come close to replicating such creations, and we've barely even scratched the surface when it comes to exploring the entirety of the universe.
The typical "It can't be chance" argument. I simply find it to be a misunderstanding of how statistics works. I addressed it in the tangent topic:
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showth...xuality-and-Religion)&p=17015534#post17015534
It's the part about vague prophecies and the "It can't be chance" argument.

As a side note, I asked for evidence in favor of Christianity in particular, but nothing you said links it to that religion in particular. You could pick any creation myth of your choosing, or more broadly, blame it on any unknown aliens from another universe.

Your other example of strange sensory experiences falls under the same umbrella of arguments, taken broadly.

Why do I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God and the savior? There's plenty of evidence of Jesus walking the earth and teaching others, and I find the multiple gospels, eyewitness accounts, and the wisdom in the Bible are inspiring and assure a message of peace, hope, and friendship. I also feel Jesus Christ taught a message of real strength: To love your enemy even when they hate you. To be generous to even a thief, and not to seek wealth or materialism, but to live a humble life in peace and friendship the way he did. If everyone did that, there would be no war, no hate, and no greed. And to do that is extremely hard, but to me, given the miracles he performed and the fact he lived among the poor and humble even when he could have easily lived in splendor and power, that takes incredible, heroic and admirable strength and heart. Given his selfless sacrifice to destroy sin and give us a second chance at salvation, that's something I find admirable and is someone I can believe in.
You really talk about two types of believing. There's the belief that he was the son of God, and the belief that he was a good person. You shouldn't mix those two things because neither implies the other.

As a side note, were those miracles even that impressive? Criss Angel walked on water, but is he the son of God? And he did it in front of cameras and everything, so we don't have to rely on testimony that's thousands of years old.

Even without sufficient evidence to make a judgment, eventually you will have to come to a decision. And yes, running out of time is also a decision. If the building is on fire and you're not sure whether to try climbing out the window or make a break for the stairs, well, you don't have much time, and even though you question the safety and chance of survival of both options, you have to decide even without evidence to confirm the outcome, nature, and circumstances of the decision you're faced with. It's more of a matter of making a choice given what you have to work with as opposed to striving for a clear-cut confirmation.

And hey, it's that familiar burden of proof statement! I was wondering when that was going to show up. Hello there, I was ready for ya.
Obviously when I make decisions, I make them based on the best information available. But why would I need to take a hard stance on God's existence? We can talk in probabilities.

If you ask, "Are there sentient beings we can't currently detect?" I would say the probability is very high, given current knowledge of the universe.

If you ask, "Does the God of Christianity exist?" I would estimate the probability to be far lower because he has far more specific qualities. In fact, he has outrageously demanding qualities like omnipotence, omniscience, and moral perfection, which appear to lead to contradictions very fast. The obvious empirical and normative failures of the Bible don't help either.

But you seem to think the probability of God's existence is close to 100 %. That really does require very hard evidence.

And then there's the large number of other religions with other transcendent beliefs that you rate as approximately 0 %, which seems pretty arbitrary compared to your high rating for Christianity. (Most religions are mutually exclusive.)

I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
And this is why I was a little reluctant to mention what evidence lead me to Christianity (I could write a whole book's worth a detail, but...), because again, surprise, surprise, it falls back on the "give me more evidence" or "that evidence isn't good enough for me" thingy again. I could give you piles of evidence, and you would attempt to discredit each and every part of it. I kind of have to roll my eyes at this... again, because I think it ties back to your not really grasping what faith is. Faith is working with limited evidence and believing in your heart and your gut. Even if it means walking blind, hence, walk by faith, not by sight. But really, I think we're kidding ourselves if we don't consider that there can be things beyond what we can perceive.

So yeah, I mean, I could turn back the dial to subjectivity again if you'd like, but I'd kind of just be repeating myself there. As for the probabilities that you mentioned, well, what are you basing those off of? Looks to me like personal opinion, based on your own perspective and perception of things.

Again, to each his own.

Your "evidence" isn't supporting the fact that he is the son of God as much as it's supporting the fact he was a human. Thw fact he existed isn't grounds, for me at least, to willingly follow this religion, out of the hundreds of thousands.

In which case MLK is just as much of the son of God as Jesus would be. He existed, he helped others, and he assured a message of peace hope and friendship. But, that just sounds absurd.

The way I see it is, over time we would be where we are now regardless of whether religion reared it's head into civilization. As an atheist, I don't have this ever lasting bloodlust tempting me to murder and rape people. I was born an atheist, much like you. We were just taught two seperate methods. Yet, I'm sure we can agree, we more than likely share the same morals. And religion has nothing to do with that. That's just human nature.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Your "evidence" isn't supporting the fact that he is the son of God as much as it's supporting the fact he was a human. Thw fact he existed isn't grounds, for me at least, to willingly follow this religion, out of the hundreds of thousands.

In which case MLK is just as much of the son of God as Jesus would be. He existed, he helped others, and he assured a message of peace hope and friendship. But, that just sounds absurd.

No, no... geez, I figured giving a brief summary as to my own personal beliefs would have been fine just as a little intro, and now you're just asking for the whole entirety of them while jumping to the conclusion that the little summary I posted was the entirety of my basis.

Geez, guys. Ugh, you're reminding me why I don't usually bother with the debate section.>.<

The way I see it is, over time we would be where we are now regardless of whether religion reared it's head into civilization. As an atheist, I don't have this ever lasting bloodlust tempting me to murder and rape people. I was born an atheist, much like you. We were just taught two seperate methods. Yet, I'm sure we can agree, we more than likely share the same morals. And religion has nothing to do with that. That's just human nature.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Also, what's with the "ever-lasting bloodlust tempting me to murder and rape people" thing? That was... kind of random... o_O

Also, babies are born ignorant of pretty much everything. They're not born knowing how to talk, walk, run, write, or read either, but those are essential things that need to be taught to them. As for religion playing a part in teaching morals, yes, yes it does have something to do with that in some cases, and it's not just human nature.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
And this is why I was a little reluctant to mention what evidence lead me to Christianity (I could write a whole book's worth a detail, but...), because again, surprise, surprise, it falls back on the "give me more evidence" or "that evidence isn't good enough for me" thingy again. I could give you piles of evidence, and you would attempt to discredit each and every part of it. I kind of have to roll my eyes at this... again, because I think it ties back to your not really grasping what faith is. Faith is working with limited evidence and believing in your heart and your gut. Even if it means walking blind, hence, walk by faith, not by sight.
Isn't that contradictory? First you say you have tons of evidence that proves your religion right. Then you say you have to make a leap of faith and believe blindly with insufficient evidence.

I grasp what faith means; that is why I reject it.

No, no... geez, I figured giving a brief summary as to my own personal beliefs would have been fine just as a little intro, and now you're just asking for the whole entirety of them while jumping to the conclusion that the little summary I posted was the entirety of my basis.

Geez, guys. Ugh, you're reminding me why I don't usually bother with the debate section.>.<

Maybe yes, maybe no. Also, what's with the "ever-lasting bloodlust tempting me to murder and rape people" thing? That was... kind of random... o_O

Also, babies are born ignorant of pretty much everything. They're not born knowing how to talk, walk, run, write, or read either, but those are essential things that need to be taught to them. As for religion playing a part in teaching morals, yes, yes it does have something to do with that in some cases, and it's not just human nature.

Well, that's all you gave us as your "evidence" and that's the only conclusion I can come to with what you've given me.

The "bloodlust" statement wasn't random at all, it's explaining that I have morals and it's not because a book taught them to me. It's human nature, hell natural in general, to empathize. We don't need a book telling us what is wrong or right. We just KNOW. There are examples in which people claim not to know the difference, but that's neither here nor there. My point is, religion didn't shape my morals, my conscience did.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Isn't that contradictory? First you say you have tons of evidence that proves your religion right. Then you say you have to make a leap of faith and believe blindly with insufficient evidence.

I grasp what faith means; that is why I reject it.

The evidence is based on the gospels and supernatural occurrences, which is there as proof but is only a mere sample of what lies beyond our senses. The walking by faith is on the basis that we accept there is more than what meets the eye beyond this physical realm we live in, and we believe in more than what this evidence has already shown us. We may not have seen God, Heaven, angels, the Tree of Life, and all of those other aspects with our very own eyes, but others have. And not just one person, but many, in fact.

Think of it this way. For example, I don't know if you've ever been to Japan, but let's pretend you haven't. So, all these people talk about Japan, it's history, it's cities, and you read about Japan in geography books and all sorts of other sources, but if you've never been there for yourself, how are you supposed to know it actually DOES exist and isn't the rest of the world just pulling the wool over your eyes as one really big trick? If you've never been there, how do you truly know it really does exist and isn't just some kind of fantasy? It's a matter of taking other peoples' word for it. Only in this case, you can board the next flight to Japan, see it for yourself, and come on back to tell all your friends about it. When it comes to seeing God and Heaven, well, to put it mildly, that's a one-way trip.

Well, that's all you gave us as your "evidence" and that's the only conclusion I can come to with what you've given me.

The "bloodlust" statement wasn't random at all, it's explaining that I have morals and it's not because a book taught them to me. It's human nature, hell natural in general, to empathize. We don't need a book telling us what is wrong or right. We just KNOW. There are examples in which people claim not to know the difference, but that's neither here nor there. My point is, religion didn't shape my morals, my conscience did.

Well, I could potentially write a whole thesis about it, but I'd rather not go there, and I don't think you'd want to either. Plus... eh, I'll admit I have a whole lot of other things on my plate at the moment.

I like that statement "we just KNOW." I feel the same way about my faith. But those feelings and emotions you feel... call it conscious, instinct, or whatever, we both know they're there. I have that same kind of feeling that yeah, I know God is there, even though that may not be what you believe. There's that gut feeling that we have. And yeah, my point is religion can shape morals, but I'll admit, they can be shaped in other ways as well.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious

I also talked about empathy consciences in my post on the last page. When Avenger was wondering why atheists don't just rape and murder others. That's quite telling about what his morals are.

Albert Einstein said:
A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
I love this quote.

The evidence is based on the gospels and supernatural occurrences, which is there as proof but is only a mere sample of what lies beyond our senses. The walking by faith is on the basis that we accept there is more than what meets the eye beyond this physical realm we live in, and we believe in more than what this evidence has already shown us. We may not have seen God, Heaven, angels, the Tree of Life, and all of those other aspects with our very own eyes, but others have. And not just one person, but many, in fact.

Think of it this way. For example, I don't know if you've ever been to Japan, but let's pretend you haven't. So, all these people talk about Japan, it's history, it's cities, and you read about Japan in geography books and all sorts of other sources, but if you've never been there for yourself, how are you supposed to know it actually DOES exist and isn't the rest of the world just pulling the wool over your eyes as one really big trick? If you've never been there, how do you truly know it really does exist and isn't just some kind of fantasy? It's a matter of taking other peoples' word for it. Only in this case, you can board the next flight to Japan, see it for yourself, and come on back to tell all your friends about it. When it comes to seeing God and Heaven, well, to put it mildly, that's a one-way trip.
Is this really what this debate has turned into? "How do you know God really exists?" "How do you know Japan really exists?" "How do you know Santa Claus really exists?"

BJPalmer85

"How do you know Santa Claus really exists?"

He does exist! He wrote the Song of Ice and Fire books, just google a picture of him.

Anyway, the problem is that people who follow any faith feel the need to "spread" the "word" of the faith to the masses, this is generally met with contempt. If people would just leave their religious ideologies out of discussions things would go better. If they would stop quote bible versus and what not to support their opinion they would be taken more seriously. If you have an opinion on a topic like gay marriage or abortion etc and that opinion stems from your beliefs and your religion, great, come up with solid facts to support your opinion instead of using what you find in a book of stories. Believe what you want to believe but stop cramming it down peoples throats. Alas, this will never happen.

I feel that religion does have a place in society because it does help people and communities at large but that is where it needs to end, it has no place in politics by any means.

Sorry for the rant.

B

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here

Yes, yes, I got your argument on subjectivism already. No need to repeat it so much.

Your answer repeated the same ambiguity over how you understand evidence and faith but whatever. It doesn't look like you can produce clearer descriptions.