• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Religious Freedoms vs. Other Civil Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Wait are we arguing that the Supreme Court argues for the rights of minority people? They literally argued successfully that torture is okay because it worked on the TV show 24. Who gives a **** if they voted a certain way if that way was morally wrong and our justice system has been poisoned enough not to pull that trigger yet, because we still to this day haven't figured out a good way to deal with evangelical rich people.

American Free Speech now serves a purpose to prop up the privileged, and only hurts those who are a persecuted minority.

Last edited:

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
I'm sure as hell not.

Judicial review has no check or balance against it.

Antiyonder

Overlord
Bumping Topics
I mean I don't agree with such practice as mentioned at the beginning of the thread, but I guess I could respect someone believing otherwise if they stuck to their guns.

But if you were to say suggest that it's okay to deny a customer service cause you religiously oppose them being gay or trans while say suggesting that a Hindu should serve cake to a meat eating customer I'd say morals have nothing to do with your take.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
There was some debate in the early church about how much sway the Mosaic law should hold over Christians. I you want to read the church's decision, it's in Acts 15: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+15&version=NKJV There's some debating there which leads up to this letter:

The apostles, the elders, and the brethren,
To the brethren who are of the Gentiles in Antioch, Syria, and Cilicia:
Greetings.
24 Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, [h]saying, “You must be circumcised and keep the law”—to whom we gave no such commandment— 25 it seemed good to us, being assembled with one [i]accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who will also report the same things by word of mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual[j] immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well.
Farewell.

Christians do take the Old Testament to be an example, so the definition of sexual sin still applies, but the specific punishments & sacraments are removed, as are other laws about washing, eating certain foods, etc.

And the apostles various letters add in things about meeting together, taking the Lord's supper, not stealing, deceiving, etc.

WalesNote

Religion = trash for the brain dead
Those who follow it = brain dead trash.

Well, most of them. The sooner it disappears the better.

Morax

King of heroes
Religion = trash for the brain dead
Those who follow it = brain dead trash.

Well, most of them. The sooner it disappears the better.
Religion is what gives people faith/hope. You sure you wanna take that away from them? Every coin has 2 sides, religion has been used to commit atrocities but at the same time it has saved people in their dark days.

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
"Religious Freedom" should not be an excuse to be a dick to people who are different from others. Religious Freedom should only matter in what (that Religious Person) does in life and his personal choices, he should not forcefully apply it to others. That's my personal take. Same way on the flip side, I think it is completely fine to criticize a Religion, whether it be Christianity, Islam or Judaism. Just again, don't be a dick to the people who follow their faith either. You can criticize the Religion and still respect people who follow it.

Morax

King of heroes
"Religious Freedom" should not be an excuse to be a dick to people who are different from others. Religious Freedom should only matter in what (that Religious Person) does in life and his personal choices, he should not forcefully apply it to others. That's my personal take. Same way on the flip side, I think it is completely fine to criticize a Religion, whether it be Christianity, Islam or Judaism. Just again, don't be a dick to the people who follow their faith either. You can criticize the Religion and still respect people who follow it.
Agreed. I think one's profession and religious sentiments should be kept seperate. A "Job" is merely a transaction, you put in efforts and get paid for it. Barriers like religion/cast/creed/colour shouldn't exist between a give and take.

Status
Not open for further replies.