• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Remainder Of Paul’s Best Team

Which 2 Pokémon would form the remainder of Paul’s best team?

• Total voters

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Straight off the bat, Aggron, Weavile, Nidoking, Hariyama, Gliscor and Gastrodon fall off the deep-end. In terms of strength, none of them really stack up. In terms of synergy, they only bring weaknesses that would problematize Paul's Top4 (Fighting, Aggron and Weavile have a x4 weakness which doesn't stack well with Ursaring), Ground, Ice). The only exception for synergy purposes would be Gastrodon as none of Paul's Top4 share a Grass-weakness, and Gastrodon does have Ice Beam to counter Electivire and Drapion's Ground-type weaknesses, but outside of its battle with Staraptor, it wasn't really that impressive.

That leaves Honchkrow, Magmortar, Ninjask and Froslass.

In terms of strength/feats, I've seen people raving on about Froslass, but really? It came in late in the battle, Pikachu already faced Aggron and wasn't fresh at all. It relied on dodging with Snow Cloak in order to hit with (most of) its attacks and went down in two hits. I'm not impressed by it at all. In terms of synergy, it really is worth mentioning since it doesn't really share too many weaknesses outside of Fire (with Torterra) - and Ice does cover the aforementioned Ground weaknesses that Electivire and Drapion share.

Ninjask did have a good showing vs. Gliscor and Infernape on first sight. I'd say that the battle vs. Gliscor might be a bit overrated, since all it did was outspeeding it (obscenely) and using Fury Cutter, of which only the fifth consequtive hit really impressed (but that's exactly how Fury Cutter works). But it's battle vs. Infernape is really grossly overrated. It hardly took any damage from the effects of the underground Flare Blitz (it just gets blown upwards (it doesn't get hit with the flames or debris),but has no flinching facial expression nor any problem correcting itself midair). That move was all about clearing the field and not doing anything in terms of damage to Ninjask. Then the bug goes for a Giga Drain out of nowhere (really Paul?) and gets one-shot by a x0.25 resisted move. It's overrated.

Magmortar definitely has the strength department down. It's flamethrower tied with Pikachu's Thunderbolt. It put up a great fight against it and Paul really knows how to get the most of his pokémon with abilities and tactics. However, unlike how Froslass and Ninjask relied on Snow Cloak and Speed Boost to get their hits in, Magmortar does not rely on its ability. It benefits that Pikachu got burned by carelessly attacking it, but it's battling tactics don't revolve around it. It also put up a good fight vs. Barry and managed to survive Empoleon's Hydro Cannon (Yes, Pignite apparently did so as well, but Riolu was Cameron's ace and Samurott was not, whereas Barry pretty much used Empoleon for everything), which is a big feat. In terms of synergy, it would add another Ground weakness, so that's a problem.

Honchkrow. It's definitely strong, but it's just another straightforward attacker and I wouldn't put it above any of the other three candidates. It does seem like one of Paul's favorites. Since he basically was on his team from around Eterna up to Snowpoint City. In terms of synergy, it would fit well enough, it would share an Ice-type weakness with Torterra, but that's pretty much it.

In tems of strength, I'd have to pick Magmortar by far and Honchkrow for good measure (and basically has shown us more than the other two).

In terms of rounding out the team, if you're going to add another Ground-weak pokémon (Magmortar), then.. well.. all four of these are weak to Rock. So adding two weak to Rock seems like a bit of overkill, but it could work. In that case I'd add Froslass since she functions as the Ground-type deterent and Torterra could function as the Rock-type counter.

OR. Magmortar and Gastrodon, since adding Gastrodon does not add more to existing weaknesses the team needs to cover and Magmortar would cover Gastrodon's sole weakness fine, as well as knowing that Water deters Ground as well as Rock - and that it has Ice Beam for Flying-types as well as for Grass.

So yeah, if Paul would invest some more time in Gastrodon, then definitely Magmortar and Gastrodon, those two seem to be the wisest addition.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Lemme rephrase, maybe it's a bias for Pokemon that only got one battle and Honchkrow. I really don't see how Hariyama and nidoking did any good against brandon, even with the type advantage. he destroyed them all because Paul wasn't going for strategy, just brute force. Ash managed to win with a combo.
I agree here. The general bias many have is “more screen time = stronger Pokémon” but there are easy counter examples for this. In Paul’s case look no further than Drapion who was also only used in 1 battle yet it very clearly was a powerhouse. Even for Ash we have examples like Snorlax and Heracross both of whom have little screen time compared to many of Ash’s other Pokémon yet both are really strong.

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
On Paul's strongest team, Torterra, Electivire and Drapion should definitely be there for having the best win/loss records and in general being the tankiest of his pokemon. I wouldn't say that Ursaring belongs on his strongest team lineup though as its had more losses than the rest of Paul's pokemon.

For the final three slots, I'd argue Magmortar, Honchkrow and Gastrodon. Magmortar and Honchkrow have been on Paul's team longer, scored more wins than the likes of Froslass and Aggron and have more versatility available in terms of their movepool. For picking a pokemon from Paul's League Team, I'd argue Gastrodon should be on the lineup and not be overlooked, as it held its own against Staraptor to the point of forcing Ash to switch it out and almost defeated Buizel. Its Shield strategy was also really well handled.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
On Paul's strongest team, Torterra, Electivire and Drapion should definitely be there for having the best win/loss records and in general being the tankiest of his pokemon. I wouldn't say that Ursaring belongs on his strongest team lineup though as its had more losses than the rest of Paul's pokemon.

For the final three slots, I'd argue Magmortar, Honchkrow and Gastrodon. Magmortar and Honchkrow have been on Paul's team longer, scored more wins than the likes of Froslass and Aggron and have more versatility available in terms of their movepool. For picking a pokemon from Paul's League Team, I'd argue Gastrodon should be on the lineup and not be overlooked, as it held its own against Staraptor to the point of forcing Ash to switch it out and almost defeated Buizel. Its Shield strategy was also really well handled.

Excuse me but how did Gastrodon almost defeat Buizel by any means?? Buizel clearly dispatched Gastrodon decisively without taking any notable damage at all.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
POWER
1.Torterra
2.Electivire
3.Drapion
4.Ursaring
5.Magmortar
6.Honchkrow
7.Nidoking
8.Gliscor
9.Hariyama
10.Aggron
11.Froslass
12.Gastrodon
13.Ninjask
14.Weavile

SPEED
1.Ninjask
2.Weavile
3.Froslass
4.Electivire
5.Honchkrow
6.Gliscor

DURABILITY/TANK
1.Torterra
2.Drapion
3.Electivire
4.Ursaring
5.Magmortar
6.Honchkrow
7.Nidoking
8.Gliscor
9.Hariyama
10.Aggron
11.Froslass
12.Gastrodon
13.Ninjask
14.Weavile

keepitsimple

site of lies
What did Nidoking do exactly to be 7th place in power and durability? I only remember him getting creamed vs Brandon

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
What did Nidoking do exactly to be 7th place in power and durability? I only remember him getting creamed vs Brandon
It did comparatively more damage to Registeel than Magmar and was the only one of Paul's Pokemon in that fight whom Brandon actually praised IIRC so I guess that's why.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
It did comparatively more damage to Registeel than Magmar and was the only one of Paul's Pokemon in that fight whom Brandon actually praised IIRC so I guess that's why.

And still neither of two could even bring registeel down on his knees or even bring him down even once which torkoal was able to do. I think aggron is getting overlooked, it should be above gliscor, hariyama it gave pikachu some trouble. Gliscor only defeated a rookie gligar and was able to dominate both newly evolved electibuzz and weavile at same time during its capture whereas hariyama was two shotted by regirock and couldn't do jack even at type advantage, aggron should be above both of them.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
And still neither of two could even bring registeel down on his knees or even bring him down even once which torkoal was able to do. I think aggron is getting overlooked, it should be above gliscor, hariyama it gave pikachu some trouble. Gliscor only defeated a rookie gligar and was able to dominate both newly evolved electibuzz and weavile at same time during its capture whereas hariyama was two shotted by regirock and couldn't do jack even at type advantage, aggron should be above both of them.
I agree that Aggron should be above above Hariyama and Gliscor based on how it fought against Pikachu, but Nidoking is likely better than Aggron because it caused Registeel some pain (though certainly not down to its knees). Causing damage to a Legendary owned by a highly skilled trainer isn't that easy task.

Regarding Torkoal vs Registeel, we have to assume that Torkoal improved a lot in Oak's lab between AG and BF and got a lot stronger, otherwise if you look at it, there is no way Tier 2 level Pokemon like say Swellow or Glalie are bringing Registeel, a Legendary owned by the strongest Frontier Brain, down to its kness.

Genaller

Silver Soul
B+: Froslass, Ninjask, Nidoking
B: Magmortar, Aggron, Hariyama
B-: Honchkrow
C+: Gastrodon
C-: Weavile
Limbo: Gliscor

Honestly what feat are people even thinking about when they put Magmortar in Paul’s top 6? I seriously hope it isn’t vs Maylene’s Lucario since we got explicit confirmation that the Lucario Paul faced was fodder relative to the Lucario Ash faced.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Honestly what feat are people even thinking about when they put Magmortar in Paul’s top 6? I seriously hope it isn’t vs Maylene’s Lucario since we got explicit confirmation that the Lucario Paul faced was fodder relative to the Lucario Ash faced.
From seeing the flashback in the episode it did seem like that part of Maylene becoming devoid of self-confidence and out of sync was due to loosing that battle with Paul that badly in the first place.

Genaller

Silver Soul
From seeing the flashback in the episode it did seem like that part of Maylene becoming devoid of self-confidence and out of sync was due to loosing that battle with Paul that badly in the first place.
Actually she was not in sync even before the Paul the battle (she very explicitly states that she didn’t have confidence in her abilities due to only very recently becoming a gym leader). For further proof Paul calls her “the weakest gym leader he’s ever faced” and we know that Paul has faced at least 26 gym leaders before this.. It’s quite absurd to claim that the gym leader whom Ash needed luck to even get a draw with was anywhere close to the same lvl as the gym leader that Paul considered to be the weakest out of every leader he’s faced till then. The argument for Magmar’s strength would be:

— Maylene’s Lucario was a beast against Ash’s Pokémon
— Magmar beat Lucario easily
— Therefore Magmar is a beast

This argument falls apart the moment you realize that if the Lucario Paul faced was even remotely comparable to the Lucario Ash faced, then there would be no way in hell that Paul would consider Maylene the “weakest gym leader” out of every gym leader he’s faced till then.

Fact of the matter is that the Maylene Ash faced was a substantially stronger trainer than the Maylene Paul faced; end of discussion!

Last edited:

keepitsimple

site of lies
This argument falls apart the moment you realize that if the Lucario Paul faced was even remotely comparable to the Lucario Ash faced, then there would be no way in hell that Paul would consider Maylene the “weakest gym leader” out of every gym leader he’s faced till then.
this is the same guy who released a starly for being too weak right after it won, so it's not like he's above calling people weak who aren't weak. but i see your point

Genaller

Silver Soul
this is the same guy who released a starly for being too weak right after it won, so it's not like he's above calling people weak who aren't weak. but i see your point
I would’ve agreed with you if he had only said it to Maylene in a rude tone though in DP 69 he also tells Regi that she was the weakest GL in a more apathetic tone which is why it seems to be more than Paul just being his usual prick self.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Actually she was not in sync even before the Paul the battle (she very explicitly states that she didn’t have confidence in her abilities due to only very recently becoming a gym leader). For further proof Paul calls her “the weakest gym leader he’s ever faced” and we know that Paul has faced at least 34 gym leaders before this.. It’s quite absurd to claim that the gym leader whom Ash needed luck to even get a draw with was anywhere close to the same lvl as the gym leader that Paul considered to be the weakest out of every leader he’s faced till then. The argument for Magmar’s strength would be:

— Maylene’s Lucario was a beast against Ash’s Pokémon
— Magmar beat Lucario easily
— Therefore Magmar is a beast

Fact of the matter is that the Maylene Ash faced was a substantially stronger trainer than the Maylene Paul faced; end of discussion!
I guess it's fair enough, but didn't Paul defeat Roark 3-2, the same Gym Leader to whom Ash lost 3-1 the first time? The writers at the initial stage of their rivalry many times made Paul do better than Ash in battles, to emphasize that Paul was always a step ahead of Ash in their rivalry (as far both of their journey in Sinnoh was concerned), to emphasize that Ash still has a long way to go before he really goes to surpass Paul as a battler via his own methods.

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
I guess it's fair enough, but didn't Paul defeat Roark 3-2, the same Gym Leader to whom Ash lost 3-1 the first time? The writers at the initial stage of their rivalry many times made Paul do better than Ash in battles, to emphasize that Paul was always a step ahead of Ash in their rivalry (as far both of their journey in Sinnoh was concerned), to emphasize that Ash still has a long way to go because he really goes to surpass Paul as a battler via his own methods.
The difference being that Paul actually respected Roark as a gym leader unless you’re telling me that Maylene was that much inferior compared to Roark not to mention the 25 other gym leaders he must have faced before then. It’s just too ridiculous to assume that the Maylene Paul faced was comparable to the Maylene Ash faced.

Last edited:

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Paul Pokemon Ranking DP (All Seasons)

Diamond & Pearl (Part 1)
1.Torterra
2.Nidoking
3.Hariyama
4.Murkrow
5.Lairon
6.Elekid
7.Weavile