• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

remake of all the old games for DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerDraco

Keep in mind that the Gen 1 and Gen 2 games were remade because there was literally no way to have them communicate with Gen 3 games and beyond. Once Pokemon made the leap to the GBA, Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal were dead; your Pokemon on those games were stuck there and would never be able to be transferred to Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. By remaking Gen 1 and Gen 2 games, they made it possible (not to mention easier since you didn't have to mess with things like Colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness) to have access to all of the Pokemon in those generations. They were remade out of necessity.

As it stands, this is not the case with any other generations. Gen 3 can transfer to Gen 4, and Gen 4 can transfer to Gen 5. I.e., there is no sense of necessity for remaking the games. That said, if they're going to remake anything at all, they /MIGHT/ remake the Gen 3 games, since once the Pokemon franchise transitions to the 3DS, the GBA games become obsolete (given the 3DS has no GBA slot like the DS does). Mind you, you can still transfer indirectly using a DS and a 3DS but... who knows.

I just see no need for more remakes. I'd much rather they focus on making new content than rehashing old content. I wouldn't complain if they did do more remakes, but I hope they do so sparingly.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The only problem is that BW2-style sequels can only work for certain storylines (it was fantastic because N's/Ghetsis' story was open-ended, and we didn't know the full potential of Kyurem, and how it came to be from the indigenous Unovans' perspectives, and Unova as a whole was underdeveloped and quite bland, which BW2 fixed). I mean, you could argue that RBY-GSC was fantastic because the Johto-Kanto storyline meshed beautifully.

I don't know if it would work for a story like regions like Hoenn and Sinnoh given that there isn't much open-ended after the Team Magma-Aqua and Hoenn's Elite 4 are beaten. Plus, I personally would find it weird if new pokemon designs were suddenly discovered after we solidified the pokedex for that region.

Storyline would definitely be the trickiest aspect as to such a thing, true, but I think they could feasibly make it work. Especially Sinnoh, Platinum's plot is more open ended than most other games. Cyrus is still alive in the Distortion World and has a way out should he change his mind about his self inflicted imprisonment, and the remains of Team Galactic (minus Saturn) seem pretty intent on continuing their plans, there's definitely some potential for a sequel storyline there. But I was looking at it from more of a gameplay perspective anyway, it'd be neat getting to re-explore regions in a different way, in that regard it has a lot of potential to give us something fresh and nostalgic at the same time.

I was talking about considering new additions to an old region's pokedex (from what I interpreted anyway). If Bolt meant that regions get Pokemon that are indigenous to other regions then that's fine since I liked the huge variety of Pokemon not only for collectibility, but also for strategic battling (no more 3 Yamasks etc).

You mean adding completely new Pokemon never seen in another game? No, not at all. I just meant getting Pokemon that debuted in games that were released after the original. For instance, Kanto's Pokedex could get upgraded with new evolutions, and also random families from future gens to balance things out. By modern standards, the Kanto Dex has terrible variety, it's lacking in Ghost, Dragon, Dark and Steel types, so they could add more Pokemon of those types like Sneasel, Altaria, Houndour, Skarmory, Jellicent, etc. so you'd have a reasonable amount of options for those types.

In particular, I think Kanto and Johto could use the most expansion since they're both small, interdependent regions lacking in variety, if they made two new sets of games where you'd only have access to one of the two regions but they both end up with huge expansions bringing them up to par with Hoenn and Sinnoh in terms of regional design, as well as having a larger and more diverse regional dex like Platinum and BW2's, those could be some really awesome games.

Last edited:

Ang3l

When it comes right down to it I think that if there were remakes of the original games people would definitely buy them. I know for a fact that even though I have all the original games on the GBC and GBA, if they remade them on the DS I would buy them lol. They don't have to be continuing storylines to remake the game, it just has to be the same region. Kanto, 5-10 years after the original. A few different gym leaders (perhaps replace the less known ones with descendants of that person), slightly larger towns, a few new towns, but the same region and the same pokemon. Doesn't seem that bad of an idea, but in saying that I wouldn't weant it to happen until way after X and Y are released (pokemon overload!)

UUTrainerUU

Just a Fan
If there would be any remake for any game, it should be for the DS, like HeartGold and SoulSilver. I think that it will be 3D, like Pokémon X and Y, though. It seems like the games will be in 3D now.

But that's just what I think.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
If there would be any remake for any game, it should be for the DS, like HeartGold and SoulSilver. I think that it will be 3D, like Pokémon X and Y, though. It seems like the games will be in 3D now.

But that's just what I think.

The DS is a dead console. Nintendo is no longer supporting it and have moved to its successor, the Nintendo 3DS. Any and all future handheld games for the next 5 or so years will be on the Nintendo 3DS

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Plus, I personally would find it weird if new pokemon designs were suddenly discovered after we solidified the pokedex for that region.

What, like solidifying the pokedex for Kanto, then discovering that Magnemite has a type that nobody knew about, and there are wild pokemon that nobody ever spotted before that are included in Johto's pokedex but aren't even in the wild there (Houndour for example).

Ditto B1tch

If there were going to be a remake of a Gen 1 game for the 3DS console, then I would like it was Yellow Version.

Yellow is slightly different of Red and Blue, then "Thunder Yellow Version" would be different of FR/LG and thus not a remake of a remake.

I would love to see gen 3 remade but from reading the arguments of you guys above I see why it would be difficult to do and since you can basically bring all the gen 3 pokemon up to gen 5 it wouldn't make sense for Gamefreak to do. That being said I know a lot of people myself included that would like to see a remake! Hopefully they do.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
At this point if they decide to remake Ruby and Sapphire I think it's safe to say that they'll be on 3DS instead.

floodz66

The Masked Trainer
The only game that has yet to see a remake is ruby sapphire and emerald, and i don't see them doing that for whatever reason.

Pokealchoholic

Pokemon Expert
I think a great concept they good adapt is just making sequels for the older games, like how B2W2 did for BW. Set it a few years later and show the changes of the land with a different story and main character(s). I think that would be something cool to do as apposed to just remaking the games. I have a feeling that that's were the series might be headed. However, I still want a full remake of RSE, just to see it in 3D graphics like we can with Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova.

Nythe

Mostly Harmless
As much as I'd like to see remakes of all previous generations be made for DS, I don't expect it to happen. It was always unlikely, but when first 3ds Pokemon game had been released he chances of it hapening dropped to zero.

ECM

I would love for them to make Ruby and Sapphire remakes. It seems unlikely right now, but you never know. If they're not going to be making remakes however, I really think that they should at least release updated versions on Virtual Console that can send Pokémon from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald to Gen VI. That way it's not as big a pain to obtain the Hoenn starters in Pokémon X and Y. Maybe do the same with Firered and Leafgreen. But the more I type the more unlikely it seems...

skeletorissatan

One day I would like to see a remake of gen 3 but not for a while yet and nor do i think they will do it anytime soon. Gen VI I feel has come about too quick and if they had any plans to do it now they would have done it in Gen 5.
And for the person further up who said the DS was a dead console, it still sells better than the 3DS, so how do you work that one out?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
At this point if they decide to remake Ruby and Sapphire I think it's safe to say that they'll be on 3DS instead.

Indeed, and that'd be better anyway since 3rd and 5th gen don't really feel that different from each other (similar looking graphics, similar mechanics with the exception of the physical/special split). 3rd and 6th gen, that's most likely going to be a more significant difference, we can already see graphic wise they're miles apart, and whatever new mechanic they add which "makes your Pokemon stronger the stronger your bond is" is sure to be a game changer, so it would be much more worth it to remake the games nowadays.

The only game that has yet to see a remake is ruby sapphire and emerald, and i don't see them doing that for whatever reason.

*On the DS.

And of course they're not going to do it, they're already starting to make main games for the 3DS.

I would love for them to make Ruby and Sapphire remakes. It seems unlikely right now, but you never know. If they're not going to be making remakes however, I really think that they should at least release updated versions on Virtual Console that can send Pokémon from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald to Gen VI. That way it's not as big a pain to obtain the Hoenn starters in Pokémon X and Y. Maybe do the same with Firered and Leafgreen. But the more I type the more unlikely it seems...

That's very unlikely for several reasons. First of all, how would you transfer them between games, since they'd all be on one console. Second, they'd have to update certain mechanics in order for it to work. For instance, 1st and 2nd gen were incompatible with 3rd gen because they used a different IV system, so they'd have to update those games with the new IV system in order for them to be compatible with XY (and probably other things as well). And I just don't see them doing all that.

And for the person further up who said the DS was a dead console, it still sells better than the 3DS, so how do you work that one out?

Lack of games. 3DS is doing okay for a 2 year old console, but it's missing a lot of key Nintendo franchises (Donkey Kong, Kirby, Metroid, etc.). Once we get games for some of the more popular franchises on the 3DS, more people will start switching over to the 3DS. Most likely XY will start to bring sales in that direction, as main series Pokemon games tend to be system sellers.

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
Gen VI I feel has come about too quick and if they had any plans to do it now they would have done it in Gen 5.

It wasn't really quick to come out, Gen V has been out for some time now. It feels quick because it was announced not long after BW2 was released. Plus, since it gets released worldwide at the same general time instead of months apart as previous games, it cuts off a few months.

When he says the DS is a dead console, he means that Nintendo is no longer releasing new content for the DS. Yes, it still sells great, because 1. the price is lower, and 2. there is an extensive library of games available in comparison to the 3DS.

Although it would be nice to see remakes, I don't see it happening, at least not anytime soon. Although it can get tedious, it is still possible to transfer Pokemon from Gen III to Gen IV, then to Gen V. Though with the franchise officially stepping in to the 3DS market, things could change. Only time will tell.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I'm hoping for gen 3 remakes. I was hoping we'd get one by now but maybe this gen we'll get it

Status
Not open for further replies.