• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Remember when I called Latias the most terrifying dragon known to man kind? I lied.

Zachmac

To the tune of Frosty the Snowman

Kyurem, the ice dragon, was a lonely, tortured soul.
He had icy breath and magic powers but was under plasma's control.
Kyurem, the ice dragon, was a fairy tale they say.
The legend was obscure, but the trainer was sure, that he fought it on that day.
There must of been some magic in those old DNA splincers they stole,
for when they stuck it on it's head, it became even more powerful!

...Now that my lame parody is over, let's get to the actual reason the thread was posted. The thread name is a reference to a past RMT, by the way.
479-w.gif
462.gif
645-therian.gif
381.gif
368.gif
646-black.gif

In recognition of Christmas, and Blacks Kyurem's recent drop to Smogon OU, I decided to craft a team around it. After trying several sets, I felt all of them were underwhelming. In honestly, I ended up getting the feeling Black Kyurem is actually a tad bit overrated, and would have a better deserved spot sitting in BL with it's gray counterpart. However, with the help of a single Gorebyss and Latios, it can become the single, most OP pokemon in all of OU.

This team is split into two parts; Volt-Turn and ShellPass. During the volt turn phase, I play it like any other volt turn team. By using U-turn and Volt Switch, I continue to force my opponent to swap pokemon rather than attack, effectively giving me extra turns to attack. During this time, I'll try and get rid of Scizor, who is the greatest threat to Kyurem, while also attempting to do at least some damage to Skarmory, rather it be through luring it out or through stealth rock, so it won't be able to use the combination of Sturdy and Whirlwind to phase Kyurem or Gorebyss. Once I think Kyurem is capable of sweeping, I then force out a pokemon who Latios can safely set up against through the use of Volt Turn. As they come in on either U-turn or Volt Switch, I make sure Latios comes in. It sets up Light Screen and/or Reflect, uses Memento, and then safely allow the now surprisingly bulky Gorebyss shellpass to my Kyurem, who can easily obliterate almost any team while at +2/+2/+2.

The Volt-Turn Half
479-w.gif

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

To start the volt turn combo, I put together Magnezone and Rotom-W, similar to the Scizor/Rotom-W combo. Rotom-W serves as my revenge killer, since it's capable of outpacing +1 Dragonite, Gyarados, and Adamant Haxorus, then KO with HP ice, or, in Gyarados's case, Volt Switch. Hydro Pump is it's most powerful STAB, and is always a must for Rotom-W.

462.gif

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice/Grass]

Magnezone is used on this team in place of Scizor. While it lacks speed priority moves, it still have amazing synergy with Rotom-W, and keeps opposing Scizors in check, hopefully removing them so that I can use my Kyurem to sweep. Thunderbolt is good STAB for when I have Scizor trapped, while Flash Cannon works as a secondary STAB attack. Volt Switch carries on the offensive momentum, and hidden power will either provide perfect coverage or hit Gastrodon. I had tried Choice Specs before, but the lack of speed had hurt Magnezone too much, so I stuck with a choice scarf set instead.

645-therian.gif

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Att / 244 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Landorus is my physical attacker and also the stealth rocker of my volt turn core. It lures out opposing Skarmory, which will allow my Magnezone to come in and KO it. U-turn continues to carry momentum, while EQ is STAB and Stone Edge is coverage.

Landorus also has excellent synergy with the Rotom/Magnezone core, since it is immune to Magnezone's ground weakness, resist fighting, and has it's water and ice weaknesses covered by Rotom-W.

The Smash Pass Half
381.gif

Latios @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Memento
- Draco Meteor

After anything too threatening is out of play, I then Volt Turn to Latios and let my smash pass team take over. Latios is the very start of this, setting up dual screens, doubling Gorebyss's defenses. Memento allows me to let Gorebyss in safely, and also hinders even the most powerful enemies useless. Either they swap out and give Gorebyss a free turn to set up after memento, or they try to avoid that by staying in and try to attack.

It may seem gimmicky, but it really does work surprisingly well.

368.gif

Gorebyss @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SDef / 232 Spd
Calm Nature
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

Now with doubled defenses, and against a pokemon with half it's usual attack power, setting up is nothing for Gorebyss. Either I use Substitute or Shell Smash first, depending on which enemy pokemon are remaining. If Breloom or Hippowdon are still in play, I use shell smash, just in case they swap in, so I can hit them with a +2 Ice Beam before they can use Roar or Bullet Seed. Both are then OHKOed by Ice Beam while at +2. If they aren't on the field, and I don't have to worry about anything that can get through the sub coming in, I then start with that to protect Gorebyss from status as it sets up. The white herb restores Gorebyss's defenses, and helps compliment Black Kyurem's natural bulk.

646-black.gif

Kyurem-Black @ Brabiri Berry
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 120 Def / 136 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, more scary then a +2/+2/+2 Black Kyurem. 136 speed EVs allows it to outrun Modest Venasaur in the sun, while maximum attack allows for massive amounts of damage. The EVs are put into defense rather then HP to give the creature extra resistance to Extreme Speed, Mach Punch, and Bullet Punch. The Brabiri Berry gives Kyurem resistance to steel for one turn, allowing it to take a Choice Band Scizor's bullet punch or a Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball, even after stealth rocks, for just one round.

Dragon Claw is my to-go attack, obliterating everything not called steel type. Earth Power removes pesky steel types who resist Dragon, while Ice Beam and Fusion Bolt go for perfect coverage. Ice Beam also has the advantage of OHKOing Hippowdon.

So, what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Aeon™

Rock Ultimate
In the song, may I recommend Kyurem the Icy Dragon instead of ice dragon? And I like the look of the team.

silverangel

Metal Fairy
Dual Screens Latios? No, I think a Uxie with this set would be better, as it has great speed and better defenses.

Uxie@ Light Clay
Impish Nature
252 HP, 252 def, 4 spd.
Light Screen
Reflect
Memento
Foul Play

Does everything that Latios does, just with no weakness to Dragon or Ice, slower speed, and much better defenses.

Try also playing on Showdown, then describing any problems you have. A Heal Bell user may be well liked.

Zachmac

In the song, may I recommend Kyurem the Icy Dragon instead of ice dragon? And I like the look of the team.
Icy Dragon doesn't flow as well. I feel like I'd be cramming in too many syllables.
Dual Screens Latios? No, I think a Uxie with this set would be better, as it has great speed and better defenses.
Uxie's defenses are appealing, but I'd rather use Latios. 95 base speed is very good for a defensive pokemon, but when I choose dual screeners, I want to get as fast as I possibly can.

Latios also forces swap outs, since many people will be expecting a 252 specs or life orb Draco Meteor, making setting up a piece of cake, even with it's average defensive abilities. Also, very few people will try and taunt Latios, while I can see that becoming a problem with the sprite.

Uxie may be a decent dual screener, but I see it better off on more defensive teams along with U-turn instead of Memento, so it can come in and set dual screens multiple times.
Try also playing on Showdown, then describing any problems you have. A Heal Bell user may be well liked.
Heal Bell isn't really needed. So far, status hasn't been too much of a problem, since the battles don't usually drag out that long with this team.

Besides that, I don't really see where I could fit in a heal bell user.

Last edited:
Does everything that Latios does, just with no weakness to Dragon or Ice, slower speed, and much better defenses.

But with worse typing, no real ability to touch its counters or hurt anything that isn't weak to dark, slower, defenseless against Taunt, and far more predictable (lol wtf else is Uxie going to do?). Latios is a very reliable dual screener. Besides POSSIBLY Espeon it is one of the best.

On Kyurem B run Earth Power > Ice Beam. With Adamant nature not even +2 HP Fire is a guaranteed OHKO on Magnezone and even offensive Heatran survives +2 Fusion Bolt. Earth Power obliterates both in one shot. It also helps against Metagross, OHKOing it if Stealth Rocks are down. Look into running Naughty nature too, as you need the 10% boost to guarantee the OHKO on Ferrothorn who otherwise will either Twave you or decimate with Gyro Ball. Kyurem B is fairly resistant to most common special attacks barring Draco Meteors and Special Priority is rare in OU barring I guess the occasional Vaccume Wave

Lastly consider either Lum Berry or Babri Berry on Kyurem B. Lum Berry protects from Toxic Spikes (which atm your opponent can basically just lead with a Tentacruel or Forry, Toxic Spikes and win) but also against lame parahax from the inevitable Thunderbolts that will be aimed at your Gorebyss. Babri Berry obviously protects against Scizor. With Babri Berry Bullet Punch does only 37.34 - 44.5%, however without it you usually are OHKOed after Stealth Rocks.

Come to think of it if you run Espeon > Latios you can prevent Toxic Spikes / Stealth Rocks and keeping phazers and Breloom away. You can even run something like Light Screen / Reflect / Psychic / Baton Pass. If Gorebyss Shell Smashes and some ******* Skarmory comes in instead of Ice Beaming for a decent hit and losing your boost (and White Herb) you can Baton Pass to Espeon as Skarm Whirlwinds itself out, then BP again to Kyurem.

So...

Earth Power > Ice Beam
Espeon > Latios
Babri Berry > Leftovers on Kyurem B

Zachmac

Earth Power > Ice Beam
Espeon > Latios
Babri Berry > Leftovers on Kyurem B
I'm not even going to question Earth Power, I'll just add it.

I'll try the babri and lum berries to see how many more battles they may win me compared to each other, and perhaps Espeon, but I really like how Memento allows my Gorebyss to come in safely.

Kyurem hits much more then it usually needs to take, so I'll probably try a naughty nature to. Adamant was just there because I was afraid of hindering it's bulk back when this team was still in theory.

Last edited:

Klaus™

Banned
mmm, right now im using a similar-ish team, with the idea of passing boosts to a powerhouse, except im using thunderus-t/terrakion and magic coat smeargle. i really like the take and idea on this team as well.

BH said all that would be needed, but i never wouldve said babiri berry. nice catch.

i dont think you should go espeon however. for one, like BH said, it has far worse typing. plus, its kinda screaming dual screens anyway.

i do see a bit of a problem with taunt users. luckily, only gyarados and deoxys-d users really use it. gliscor sometimes, i guess. do you have problems with taunt?

other than that, its a good team and greatly introduces kyurem-b as a....somewhat decent....threat. gratz to you :)

ill try and see if i can see anything else, but til then, have a merry christmas, and again, good job :)

Zachmac

I decided against Espeon. I found Latios to be far more reliable, even though Skarmory is still a problem.
The Brabiri is working rather well, and I have to put less effort into luring out steel types with Volt Turn because of it. This means that I may swap Magnezone out for something else. I've been thinking Zoroark, since I've found that to be much better at luring out Skarmory in the past. Though it can't sponge a Draco Meteor for my team, it can sneak in on a Latios and hit it with Sucker Punch. If I bring Zoroark, it'll probably disguise as Latios, to help lure out steel types who want to tank Draco Meteor. They share the same stealth rock weakness, and it is usually steel types that set up spikes, so the only thing that'll let people be certain about the illusion is toxic spikes.

I decided to drop Hidden Power Fire for Ice Beam. It hasn't really been doing much for me, and thanks to the Brabiri Berry, Ferrothorn isn't really all that intimidating anymore.
Finally, I decided to change Kyurem's nature to Naughty.
i do see a bit of a problem with taunt users. luckily, only gyarados and deoxys-d users really use it. gliscor sometimes, i guess. do you have problems with taunt?
So far, nope.
other than that, its a good team and greatly introduces kyurem-b as a....somewhat decent....threat. gratz to you

ill try and see if i can see anything else, but til then, have a merry christmas, and again, good job
Thank you, and a merry Christmas to you as well.

Last edited:

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
Latias as a duel screener but its more obvious and more prone to taunt so its pointless I guess still nice team I would hate to go up againest it.

HP Fire > Earth Power. I don't know how you can reason not needing HP Fire when you are left basically helpless against Ferrothorn and Scizor.

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
HP Fire > Earth Power. I don't know how you can reason not needing HP Fire when you are left basically helpless against Ferrothorn and Scizor.

+2 fusion bolt from black kyreum running max attack should 1 hit ko any Scizor I don't think any non physical wall can take that and live. +2 stab Ice beam should handle Ferrothorn easily

+2 Fusion Bolt OHKOs Scizor only 6% of the time.
+2 Ice Beam does 51.98 - 61.36% to standard Ferro.

Bullet Punch at worst 2HKOs and Thunder Wave ends your sweep for good.

Klaus™

Banned
i agree with hp fire, but without earth power, hes left helpless against heatran, and a +2 hp fire with adamant fails to ohko magnezone (source: BH)

as such, I would say try hp fire>ice beam. with the smashpass from gorebyss, you said yourself you can just ice beam away at +2 any pokemon that might potentially be problems. such as breloom or hippowdon. plus, anything that should be hit by ice beam already is hit hard enough by dragon claw, hp fire, or earth power, except maybe landorus-t. and even then, its switching in and you outspeed it.

HP Fire OHKOs about half the time, but it doesn't if he is running Adamant.

Try running this Kyurem B

Kyurem-Black @ Babiri Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 120 Def / 136 SAtk
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Fire

And you can drop Magnezone for a Deoxys D, Forretress, Skarmory, or Ferrothorn. With a layer of Spikes and Stealth Rocks down that Kyurem B at +2 can OHKO literally all of OU except for Reuniclus (because it is immune to Spikes).

Jazz™

Not exactly Orthodox
HP Fire OHKOs about half the time, but it doesn't if he is running Adamant.

Try running this Kyurem B

Kyurem-Black @ Babiri Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 120 Def / 136 SAtk
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Fire

And you can drop Magnezone for a Deoxys D, Forretress, Skarmory, or Ferrothorn. With a layer of Spikes and Stealth Rocks down that Kyurem B at +2 can OHKO literally all of OU except for Reuniclus (because it is immune to Spikes).

I agree with this. Replacing Magnezone with Deoxys-D seems the besr course of action. Maybe SR,Spikes,Taunt, T-Wave/HP Fire/Night Shade with rocky helmet? Handles hazard setters well too.
Overall, very good team. Well done.