1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering the Wii U (2012-2017)

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by shoz999, Jan 15, 2019.

1. shoz999

shoz999 No! That's impossible!

The Wii U has discontinued production in 2017 and as of now the Nintendo Switch is by now less of a new console and more of an established one and a successful one at that. Despite the Wii U being one of the lowest selling consoles in gaming history. Despite the awful marketing, the Wii U had a lot of good games for the average hardcore Nintendo fan. With that being said, discuss about your nostalgic memories of the Wii U, your favorite games and perhaps games you would like to see port over to the Switch.

2. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

I never played the system but am curious about the tablet controller. How exactly did it work in conjunction to the tv? Would there be sections of some games where the tv would go black and everything was played on the tablet? How did Mario Maker work on the system? I’m curious to know in case I ever decide to buy one second hand.

3. shoz999

Well the Wii U controller is easily one of the most comfortable controllers in gaming history and the analogue sticks felt like they were meant to be entirely at the top. The controller uses a single-touch interface on it's screen and is mostly used as an management screen for a lot of games. For some games like Super Mario Bros. U, what you touch on the controller screen, it appears on the TV screen.

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  4. Pokemon Power

Pokemon Power Well-Known Member

I played the system since the day it released. Really loved playing Smash for Wii U, Game and Wario, Mario Party 10, and even the Disney Infinity series on there. Though I do wish they added more N64 and DS games on the Wii U Virtual Console. The two Wii U titles I would like to see ported to Switch are Super Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3.

shoz999 likes this.
  5. shoz999

My Top Ten Favorite Games would probably be, not counting ports...

Xenoblade Chronicles X
    Paper Mario Color Splash
    Wonderful 101
    Pikmin 4
    Bayonetta 2
    Splatoon
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions
    Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
    Mario Kart 8
    Super Mario 3D World

6. Platina2000

Platina2000 Well-Known Member

I got the WiiU on layaway at WalMart on release, but some of the games were hard to play due to the gamepad requirement. I had a hard time changing my attention from the TV to the gamepad when prompt to do so. Because of that, I played games that didn't require the pad more often than others, like Smash, Bayonetta 2, and Zelda BOTW to name a few (in other words, I used the pro controller when available). I had such a hard time focusing my attention on both the pad and TV at the same time, and when the gamepad and gyro controls are a sole requirement in games, like Star Fox Zero, the game becomes unplayable. To this day, I still can't beat Star Fox Zero because of it.

I understand why the console barely got any 3rd party support, due to the controller, and not much advertising, I THINK. I can see why Nintendo was quick to retire the console, but not as quick as they were to retire the Virtual Boy.

So yeah, the gamepad requirement is the reason why I didn't like it very much. Sorry for criticising, but I'm just saying the console could've been handled a little better. It was easier to focus my attention back and fourth on the duel screens on the DS console family than it was on the WiiU.

shoz999 likes this.
  7. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

It still has the best virtual console library as of right now.

shoz999 likes this.
  8. Captain Jigglypuff

There were honestly only three games released in the US on the Virtual Boy that were supposed to be any good when the device wasn’t making you physically sick: Robot Boxing (can’t think of the name), this really rare game called Jack Bros, and the best one from what I’ve heard Wario Land. The Virtual Boy Wario Land should be released on the 3DS with proper colors and effects.

9. Pikasaur

Pikasaur FR/LG > LGPE

I wasn't aware the Wii U lasted that long honestly. I thought it was only 2-3 years and then the Switch came along.

I never got a Wii U because there was almost never anything for it, I thought.

Bolt the Cat likes this.
  10. Captain Jigglypuff

That’s the thing. For about a year and a half there were no games worth getting the Wii U except the Wind Water HD remake. Then Smash Bros and Bayonetta 2 came along followed by the Twilight Princess HD remake, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Super Mario Maker, and Splatoon came out and the system gained a following. If it weren’t for those six games then the Wii U would have been a total failure.

11. shoz999

I'd say it's more accurate that the reason the Wii U didn't completely fail is because in the end is was still a Nintendo console made for Nintendo fans, something a lot of Nintendo fans who realized this was a new console knew.

12. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Werewolf of London

Definitely. It's pretty solid. Like it better than the Switch in terms of controller wise.

shoz999 likes this.
  13. Dragalge

Dragalge Time for eviction tbh

I thought it was an alright console and I loved some games like Mario Kart 8, Smash, BOTW, and Splatoon but was the release schedule awful. Coupled with how Nintendo handled its marketing and it was a failure that helped give Nintendo a wake-up call on how they shouldn't do this kind of thing again.

Didn't help they produced so many Wii accessories that just calling it the "Wii U" made people think it was some add on. A different name would have helped sure but that would just be fixing one hole lol.

The only thing I miss from the Wii U controller is the Gamepad being useful for Splatoon but otherwise, it was a bit fat and clunky for me. Nowhere near as terrible as the N64 controller though.

14. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Well-Known Member

Personally I don't regret buying a Wii U because it offered me many hours of entertainment. Some of my favorite games from that era would have to be: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DC, LEGO City Undercover, Twilight Princess HD, and Mario Kart 8.

The only thing I did hate was how sparse the release schedule was. But at least Nintendo learned their lesson for the Switch.

15. The only reason I ended up buying this (Late 2017 or Early 2018 can't remember) was to play Twilight Princess HD and Windwaker HD. Returned it after I was done.

Never understood what Nintendo planned on doing with the console, but it was bad whatever they did.

16. Monster Guy

Monster Guy Jigglypuff again

I used my Wii U mostly for the web browser and Netflix. And until the Switch gets it's own web browser and Netflix, I most likely still will.

shoz999 likes this.
  17. GrizzlyB

GrizzlyB Confused and Dazed

I have other games for it, but the only game I've ever gotten around to actually playing for the Wii U is Xenoblade Chronicles X -- and it's TOTALLY worth owning the system just for that.

shoz999 likes this.
  18. avensis

avensis Member

I agree Xenoblade Chronicles X represents the RPG I dreamed for many years, I was amazed by the vast virtual worlds to discover, where exciting stories take place. The best Wii U game and one of my favorite games

shoz999 likes this.
  19. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Well-Known Member

Sadly in my own experience it's one of the most annoying and frustrating games I've ever played. Mainly because of the cringeworthy cutscenes, mission requirements to level up/bond with certain characters, and tedious battle mechanics.

shoz999 likes this.
  20. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

Never managed to get one. I was broke and couldn't afford one at the time, but beyond that there just wasn't enough going for it. By the time there were enough games I was actually interested in, they were already talking about its successor and I ended up getting a Switch and never looking back. Really, I think it was a blessing in disguise that I couldn't afford one because the Switch's lineup is far superior and it's gotten most of the games I wanted anyway (and the ones it didn't have sequels) so I can't say I'll regret skipping it.

shoz999 likes this.