• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rename a Pokémon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkfall

Abuses SHIFT + ENTER
Rename a Pokémon.

Originally thinking it might be closed and directed to the "make your own Anything" thread, I figure this has enough differences and weight of it's own.

Basically, in this thread, you come up with a new name for an existing Pokémon.

- NOT NICKNAMES.

Imagine, if you will, that you're in charge of coming up with the Pokémon's english name for whatever reason. What would you call it and why?

To keep things a bit less spamfestacious, I'm gonna impose a little rule or two here. Not an unreasonable one you'll find:

Give REASON and EXPLANATION to your answer.

Saying "because it sounds appropriate/cool" is nice and all, but doesn't explain the desicion. Pokémon are named as they are for various reasons, which aren't open to discuss in this thread, take that elsewhere.

Posts without a decent explanation will be regarded as spam, so don't come in and post every two minutes with a new name and no reasons.

Another rule, is that if you dislike someone's choice, tough. It is their opinion, and sure you can comment, but anything even remotely flamey will be reported.

People have tastes that differ to your own.

Feel free to compliment others though.

So, without further ado, go to it minions fellow SPPf-ers.

To get the ball rolling, I honestly would change Turtwigs name.

What would I call it? Snapling.

Snap comes from the Snapper/Snapping turtle that Turtwig would appear to be based on.

A Sapling is a young tree, which show Turtwig's position in it's evolutionary line.

Snap + Sapling makes Snapling.

halloweenghost

Originally thinking it might be closed and directed to the "make your own Anything" thread, I figure this has enough differences and weight of it's own.

Basically, in this thread, you come up with a new name for an existing Pokémon.

- NOT NICKNAMES.

Imagine, if you will, that you're in charge of coming up with the Pokémon's english name for whatever reason. What would you call it and why?

To keep things a bit less spamfestacious, I'm gonna impose a little rule or two here. Not an unreasonable one you'll find:

Give REASON and EXPLANATION to your answer.

Saying "because it sounds appropriate/cool" is nice and all, but doesn't explain the desicion. Pokémon are named as they are for various reasons, which aren't open to discuss in this thread, take that elsewhere.

Posts without a decent explanation will be regarded as spam, so don't come in and post every two minutes with a new name and no reasons.

Another rule, is that if you dislike someone's choice, tough. It is their opinion, and sure you can comment, but anything even remotely flamey will be reported.

People have tastes that differ to your own.

Feel free to compliment others though.

So, without further ado, go to it minions fellow SPPf-ers.

To get the ball rolling, I honestly would change Turtwigs name.

What would I call it? Snapling.

Snap comes from the Snapper/Snapping turtle that Turtwig would appear to be based on.

A Sapling is a young tree, which show Turtwig's position in it's evolutionary line.

Snap + Sapling makes Snapling.
Wow snapling is a pretty good name,.. it even sounds like a name that it could really have had.. I'm surprised GF ((I assume they do american names..)) didn't actually use that :)

THUNDER!!!

<So Many Stickers!
Acctualy...Snapling is a REALLY cool name...

I would rename Horsea. It would be called "Seaho".

The Sea part for the sea and since it's a Watar type, and the ho part for it's
Watar attacks (kinda like a hose).

-BJ-

Acctualy...Snapling is a REALLY cool name...

I would rename Horsea. It would be called "Seaho".

The Sea part for the sea and since it's a Watar type, and the ho part for it's
Watar attacks (kinda like a hose).

No offense, but the name "Seaho" sounds kinda...kinky?

I would rename either Chimchar or Monferno. "Char" is already the Charmander lines' names, and "inferno" is already the base of Infernape. I'd rename either one "Scorchimp" (scorch + chimp).

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
I'd change Ditto to Mimic, because that's basically what it does.

I like the other suggestions, especially the Snapling one.

Darkfall

Abuses SHIFT + ENTER
Thanks guys :3

Seaho DOES sound a tad kinky XD, but the idea behind it is clever. Perhaps Seahose or something, to sound like Sea Horse?

Of course that's corny sounding U.U

crobatman

Farfetch'd could have a different because it is not really that farfetch'd...
It is a duck with a stick.

How about the name Quackurai! It is a samurai that quacks. :)

lol, maybe farfetch'd is the better name, but it can apply to other pokemon.

Last edited:

-BJ-

Budew -> Rosebuddy

It sounds dumb, but it'd be nice for the names of the entire evolutionary line to start the same way.

Vespiquen -> Vespiqueen

I don't know why they left out the one e.

Tangrowth -> Jumbela

The name comes from both "jumble" (like "tangle") and "jumbo", as it's essentially a bigger Tangela.

I didn't come up with this, but

Gallade -> Engarde

Sticks with the french theme of Gardevoir, and en garde is typically associated with sword fighting/fencing, which is obviously a feature of Gallade as a species.

Darkfall

Abuses SHIFT + ENTER
Farfetch'd could have a different because it is not really that farfetch'd...
It is a duck with a stick.

How about the name Quackurai! It is a samurai that quacks. :)

lol, maybe farfetch'd is the better name, but it can apply to other pokemon.

Quackurai is amazing.

Much love.

meteor64

Show Me Ya Noobs
Someone on Smogon says Leafeon should be changed to Vineon because its way better. I agree.
But I also digress from the topic here...so...

Swalot- Ingesdon

"Ingest" means to eat, and "don" means king, but this could also apply to Snorlax now I think about it...

crobatman

Quackurai is amazing.

Much love.

Sweet! it is amazing.

Let me think of another one....
How about Sandwing for gligar to express its Ground/Flying type?

Shuckle==>Unbreawl

Wow that sounded so much cooler in my head T.T

Unbreakable Wall. Only because of its defenses.

mimefan

Banned
Piplup, masguin, mas from mascot which it is and guin from penguin.
Rapidash or Ponyta Pyry Pyr from pyro and y from pony.
Psyduck to Psatapus, ps from psychic, atapus from platapus.
Bonsly, Tearock, tear because it seems to cry a lot and rock because it's a rock pokemon.
Mawile, faheamunch, hea from head and munch from munch and fa from fake.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
Wooper==>Axolarava
From axolotl and larva-Wooper is a larval axolotl

Gyarados==>Destropent
From destroy and serpent.
(Gyarados-destructive serpent)

Last edited:

Rokroad

Hot Drops
Enguarde
Gallade
From 'Guard' and 'Engarde'. Guard just it looks protective, and Engarde for the beginning of a sword battle in French.

Mimier
Mr. Mime
From 'Mimic' and 'Barrier', mimic cause its mimics and barrier for the barrier it makes.

Last edited:

wcgold

I don't know what I would change Mr. Mime to, but I think anyone could agree that it should be changed to something without a gender-based distinction, seeing as it's weird to have female Mr. Mimes.

Rampardos = Impach
Explanation: Impact + Pachycephalosaurus, because this Pokémon's specialty is hitting things with its head, causing impact. Pachycephalosaurus is the species of dinosaur that it's based on.

Kingdra==>Monadra
Monarch (which is another name for a king/queen) and dra(gon)

Maruno

Piplup is acceptable enough if you must keep it, but Prinplup is nonsense. There's bad names and then there's no imagination. Where does it come from? Prince and... plup? According to Bulbapedia, "plup" is the sound of something hitting the water. Now that's just stupid.

My suggestion: Pringuin. Prince + penguin.

trixie08

Speak No Evil
For Bidoof:
Bidam (beaver and dam) Sounds less doofus-y, per se

And Rapidash:
Pyrstang (pyro and mustang) Basically tells us that it's a horse that burns things

Status
Not open for further replies.