• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Renewed Pokemon Platinum Team (RMT)

Reddyll

Im gonna start playing pokemon platinum over the christmas break and i dont know how to start this introduction. So im just jumping straight in to team info:

Gyarados, because I feel like it.

Gyarados has a large weakness to Electric and a lesser one to Rocks. Torterra is able to take hits from both types and hit back with it's powerful STAB moves. Plus, it's available from the get-go.

Torterra's weaknesses can be covered by a Rock Type but as I don't care for any of the Rock-Types found within Platinum, I've chosen to use one of my favorites instead, Togekiss.

Since all of Togekiss' weaknesses are already covered by the previous two members, I've been given yet another free choice. This time, I've decided to use something that isn't seen all that often in IGRMT, a Rotom.

Rotom's main weaknesses are Dark and Ghost Types, so it was essential that I find a Pokemon that can hit both types for Super-Effective Damage. Lucario was the obvious choice as it's STAB moves can hit Darks, and has Crunch to hit the Ghosts. It's also one of the most overdone Pokemon in DPPt, but I really don't care.

With this, I've found my team has no other weaknesses, giving a me a third free choice. I've decided to use another Pokemon that gives me some extra coverage while not adding any major weaknesses and is relatively uncommon, Porygon-Z

Natures and IV's don't really matter to me. But I've decided to put preferred natures in-case.
In-Depth Team:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature (+Atk -SpA)
Intimidate
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Fang

Standard Dragon Dance Gyarados. Dragon Dance lets Gyarados outspeed most thing after a single boost while also boosting it's already dangerous Attack. Waterfall is it's main STAB move that also gets it's Flinch rate increased thanks to Dragon Dance's Speed boost. Earthquake allows Gyarados to counter both of it's weaknesses while Ice Fang gives it terrific coverage. Leftovers is used as the held item to take advantage of Gyarados' natural bulk while Adamant is used for the extra damage.

Torterra @ Leftovers
Overgrow
~ Rock Polish
~ Wood Hammer
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide

Rock Polish Torterra is somewhat gimmicky, but it works well. A single Rock Polish gets Torterra to outspeed most things in the game. Wood Hammer is used as it's main Grass STAB move as it'll need the extra power. Earthquake is a general all-purpose STAB move and Rock Slide compliments it perfectly as it gets QuakeEdge coverage. Lefties is held to compensate for Wood Hammer's recoil to an extent.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Timid Nature (+Spe -Atk)
Serene Grace
~ Nasty Plot
~ Fly
~ Aura Sphere
~ Flamethrower

Nasty Plot Togekiss is simply deadly. Nasty Plot essentially doubles Togekiss' already fearsome Special Attack stat, making it even more dangerous. Air Slash is it's main STAB move, benefiting from Serene Grace's effect. Aura Sphere lets it hit Rock and Ice Types that threaten it while also being an anti-hax move. I've decided to use Flamethrower against better judgement as the team will otherwise lack a Fire-Type move. Leftovers makes the turn used to setup Nasty Plot more bearable and Timid is used as Togekiss doesn't need the extra power, especially after a Nasty Plot boost.

Rotom @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature (+Spe -Atk)
Levitate
~ Thunderbolt
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Shadow Ball
~ Pain Split

Pain Split for a Rotom, no explanation. Thunderbolt is Rotom's main STAB move and Will-O-Wisp gets some general team support while making Physical Pokemon relatively harmless. Shadow Ball provides a secondary STAB move. Expert Belt is being held to take advantage of it's great Super-Effective coverage.

Lucario @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature (+Spe -SpA)
Steadfast
~ Swords Dance
~ Close Combat
~ Crunch
~ Extremespeed

Swords Dance Lucario, the way it was meant to be played. Swords Dance lets Lucario destroy most things relatively easily after a single boost. Close Combat is it's main STAB move while Crunch gives it terrific neutral coverage. Extremespeed lets it pick off weakened foes. Jolly is used as opposed to Adamant because Extremespeed's priority will rarely see usage, making the extra Speed more welcome.

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Timid Nature (+Spe -Atk)
Adaptability
~ Tri Attack
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt
~ Shadow Ball

Tri Attack+Adaptability with a Life Orb Boost running off Porygon-Z's ridiculous base 135 Special Attack will deal enough damage in most cases. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt allows Porygon-Z BoltBeam coverage while Shadow Ball is used to hit Ghost types that resist it's STAB moves.

Final Look:

130.gif
389.gif
468.gif
479.gif
448.gif
474.gif

Last edited:

Rosez66

Ace trainer
Ok togekiss, replace fly for air slash and flamethrower for thunder wave for the para flinch combo. Even in game that's a winner.

I'm not to sure about rotom but possibly get one of the forms if you can. But place thunderbolt for discharge for the extra chance to cause paralyse. Also as you are going to be blocking fighting pokemon you could potentially teach it physicic?

Although I would replace rotom entirely for electivire , to absorb the electric moves which gyarados will attract.

Also looking at your team as a whole I would suggest putting afire type pokemon because at the moment you have nothing which can damage both ice pokemon, and grass, I would replace porygon Z with magmorter both has huge special attack but magmorter is a lot more niche and could be helpful in most circumstances like with the bug type elite four member.

Reddyll

Thank you very much for your information. I will definitely make the change later this evening. I'm definitely on board on changing Rotom for Electivire and Porygon-Z for Magmortar. But I need HM Fly and I love thunderbolt, perhaps you have a more persuasive explantation towards changing the moves. Thanks for your help and input once again and I greatly appreciate the help. Anyways, do you think i should go with my own Gyrados or for the red one?

P.S
What's a good set and item for Magmortar and Electivire?

Last edited:

Reddyll

Although I would replace rotom entirely for electivire , to absorb the electric moves which gyarados will attract.
- Also, I don't get your quote here. Does Electivire affect the absorption when Gyrados is inflicted by electric-type moves?
Please clarify :).

Rosez66

Ace trainer
What I mean is in game the opponent will most likely use an electric move against gyarados, so the thing is you switch to electivire then the electric move will activate his ability. The important thing is that you switch in time.

But it really is personal preference with thunderbolt and discharge, I prefer discharge as it will most likely paralyse the opponent.

Reddyll

467.gif
@ Choice Scarf
- Lava Plume
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt

466.gif
@ Zoom Lens
- Cross Chop
- Thunderpunch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Rosez66

Ace trainer
Yup they seem like good moveset a although if you really wanted to you could potentially run sunny day on magmorter which would not only up his fire attacks but you could have a special attacking torterra and teach it soler beam I'm not to sure of his base special attack but its just something else to think about. Good luck.

Aura Sensei™

User Title
Scarf with Taunt is a bad idea , replace it with Psychic instead. And Choice Specs can also be used.

Gyarados also uses Return good. You get a lot of Neutral hits , and it pairs well with Waterfall , being only resisted by Empoleon who gets KOed by Earthquake.

Ditto B1tch

I know it is a bit late, but I rated your entire team:

130.gif
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Intimidate
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Fang

Excellent. You did a great job on this Gyarados. Since the first enemy it faces in battle doesn't have an electric move, your Gyarados can safely raise stats and sweep the whole team of your opponent with any of its three damage moves. There isn't a Pokemon that can resist to all the moves in this moveset.

389.gif
Torterra @ Leftovers
Overgrow
~ Rock Polish
~ Wood Hammer
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide

Basic Torterra. Predictable moveset. Ice is something you can't cover every time, if a water/ice enemy appear, I'd switch to Gyarados or Porygon-Z..

468.gif
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Timid Nature (+Spe -Atk)
Serene Grace
~ Nasty Plot
~ Fly
~ Aura Sphere
~ Flamethrower

My Togekiss had an identical moveset to this.

479.gif
Rotom @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature (+Spe -Atk)
Levitate
~ Thunderbolt
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Shadow Ball
~ Pain Split

Although most of the people think Rotom is a good Pokemon, it isn't. Replace it by another ghost. You can keep all this moves on a Dusclops/Dusknoir/Misdreavus/Mismagius.

448.gif
Lucario @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature (+Spe -SpA)
Steadfast
~ Swords Dance
~ Close Combat
~ Crunch
~ Extremespeed

Lucario has high Attack and Special Attack, so it can be trained to become a mixed sweeper. Fighting against a Lucairo is very unpredictable due that and due its large movepool, but the element surprise isn't present in your Lucario since you trained it to become exclusively a physical sweeper. I would replace Psychic with Extremespeed.

474.gif
Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Timid Nature (+Spe -Atk)
Adaptability
~ Tri Attack
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt
~ Shadow Ball

Replace Shadow Ball with Psychic. It'll cover Porygon-Z's wekaness to fighting types.

---

Overall - You have done a nice work on building this team. You should have posted also the EV's they collected, unless you didn't focus on them while growing up these Pokemons. Below are pros and cons I noticed when I rated it.

Pros:
-You used OV Pokemons. That's good!
-You picked up the best nature for each Pokemon basing on the strategy in their moveset.
-Your team is balanced;
-The moveset of all your Pokemons are balanced;
-Water moves cause no super effective at any of your Pokemons.
-You have 6 Leftovers! You could trade them with people and obtain rare items! ^^
-You'll annihilate lots of Pokemons!
-You can break several walls.

Cons:
-In tower of battles you can't let your Pokemons hold the same item.
-Your team lacks a wall Pokemon. They come in handy sometimes.
-You have only physical and special sweepers.
-As you have only sweepers, Reflect/Light Screen will annoy you very much.
-As you have only sweepers, Wobbuffet is your worst nightmare.
-Water/Ground enemies matches up good against your team because of the movepool. Being in disadvantage only against Torterra, which could be a equal battle (the former is 4x weak to grass and the latter is 4x weak to ice):

Fictitious Predictable Swampert/Quagsire
-Earthquake - Lucario, Rotom* (* = if user is holding Iron Ball)
-Stone Edge - Gyarados, Togekiss
-Brick Break - Porygon, Lucario
-Ice Beam/Ice Punch - Torterra
-Surf - no Pokemon from your team takes super effective damage from water move.

Aura Sensei™

User Title
There's nothing wrong with Rotom at all. Although you'd want to give it Toxic > WOW to cripple opponents more.