• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

rental pokemon or your own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

porygon69

since pokemon stadium was the first pokemon game i ever owned, i only used the rental pokemon to get passed the game. it took a really long time for me to get my first main series pokemon game which was blue version. i played it on the gameboy tower, dodrio style. after raising my pokemon, i wish i actually used them to pass the game with them. especially since i can choose my own moves for them. and i know pika cup banned a lot of pokemon, which made me want to use my blue version team even more. i could've passed it easier by using a level 20 dragonair traded from pokemon yellow, or an eevee i can get as a prize from gym leader castle. but still, the rental ones weren't that bad. so, do you like using your own pokemon the most, the rental ones, or both?

Last edited:

Coddleflop

Power Of Psychic!
I use rental pokemon, mainly because I don't have a GB game. But the rental pokemon were good, it tested you as you didn't have your own pokemon.

porygon69

I use rental pokemon, mainly because I don't have a GB game. But the rental pokemon were good, it tested you as you didn't have your own pokemon.

now that you put it that way, yeah, it makes sense. i guess it really does prove how good you are depending on how you use them

cascade88

< go ask alice >
I used my Pokemon from Blue, usually. But I did use the rentals from time to time as well. It all depended.

Narshen

Rocket Grunt
I managed to complete a fair bit of the game using mostly rentals, and just sorta stopped after I made it to Round 2. When I picked up again about a year ago, I used exclusively my own, as I was also playing the GB games at the time. Beat it completely.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I find that Pokemon I've trained myself do better in battle than rental Pokemon :S

ninjaboy00

TYPE Wild
actually i used rentals on most of the game except to have my pikachus learn surf and to battle my friends. otherwise i used rentals it felt easier to deal with in battle then my varied team on yellow

Tiomasta

Not amused
Your own pokes > dirty socks > rental pokes

With those rentals, you have to choose between two things. Stats, or moves. With pre-evos you get the best moves and the worst stats, with the last evos you get the best stats, but the worst moves.
Like, Abra has Psychic, Alakazam has Confusion... Or was it Psybeam or something?

But even if you chose the final evos you wouldn't get the best stats. IIRC, rentals have little or no EVs.

So with your pokes, you evolve them fully to get stats AND you get the best moves, AS WELL as EVs.
Not to mention you can use TMs on those. Persian with Slash and Bubblebeam FTW.

R2 with rentals is almost impossible, specially at Surge's gym.

I used rentals, but then I got Yellow. I started playing my Yellow for training pokes to use them(Dodrio tower speed FTW), but my brother borrowed Stadium to a friend.
I need to start Yellow anyways, seems like when I played it I forgot there was no move deleter or move relearner(Venusaur with Cut, heh).

Johny boy

I'm playing SS!
Rental pokemon cuz i could any pokemon.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Usually i'm stuck with rentals since ol'Silver and Red died long ago, but i prefer my owns.

B. Munroe

My own. Busy training the team I used to win the Pika Cup (See sig) up to Lv 26/27 so that it can compete in the Petit Cup, and eventually the Poké and Prime Cups and Gym Leader Castle.

Like someone pointed out a few posts ago, using rentals sucks because you either get good moves but poor stats or vice-versa. Plus, for me there's no satisfaction in winning battles with other people's Pokémon. Winning with your own makes all the training and preperation worthwile.

Shiny Rokon

I used rentals at first, once i unlocked the dodrio tower though I used my own because I was able to train them fast with triple speed. I can't play the game on normal speed anymore - so painfully slow! Rentals were awfully hard, I don't think you could beat R-2 with them.

tyranitar90

UP THE IRONS
your own pokemon have better stats and moves. the 64 transfer thingy erased my gb games tho so be careful. mewtwo owns.

Blazestarre

I've only used rentals. When I got Stadium I didn't have any of the handheld games, so I had to use rentals and I've gotten used to it. Besides, I can use almost any pokemon I want and I do like variety.

Duck4u11

Chompzorz
I was a kid back when i had the game, and so i only used rental, i realize the error in my ways as now i have a better understanding of attacks and what pokemon can best implement them, but its all in the past now... I also remembr I could never make it past the Elite four battle system in that game though and there i used my own pokemon and still lost to Lance epically.

Status
Not open for further replies.