• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Repealing age of consent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
Age of consent is a flawed system. It not only implies that teenagers do not have the mental capacity to make good decisions, but it also makes sex seem alluring. It's human nature to want to do what we aren't supposed to. If there is no age of consent, the taboo will disappear and teenagers will have no reason to have sex.

ChedWick

I think your post is a pretty good example of the mental capacity of teenagers. At least with that last line. But I agree to a point with your underlying position on the matter.

Bianca~

Almost Never Online.
I've known plenty of teenagers that have less-than-capable mental capacities regarding this subject.

I've also known teenagers that would be thrilled to hear that the age of consent was repealed.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
Teenagers are like adults, as in that there are also adults who make bad decisions. Should we take away the rights of those who have less intelligence?

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I don't think the consent age thing is and need, sure we can't have 7yr olds saying it's okay to have sex with them, but a 16 year old boy shouldn't get charged with rape if he had sex with a consenting 13 year old.

Bianca~

Almost Never Online.
Edit: Just forget this.

Last edited:

Steelers_Fan

hiding in your mind
As a teenager myself, I don't agree with this. In my school almost 70% of my class is pregnant or has been pregnant. It's almost a fad to be a teen mom, the general thought behind this is free money and dropping out of school early.

A lot (I'm being generous) of teenagers have a plan in mind for their post-high school career, yet they go out and have sex without realizing what will happen if they knock someone up or get knocked up. Every plan they had just went away. Having sex before you're ready is retarded. Keep the age of consent where it is.

In short, I agree with Ched

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
If we go by a strictly religious standpoint, the age of consent should be at puberty. God made humans able to reproduce at that point, that must make it.

Again that is going going by a strictly religious standpoint.

Bianca~

Almost Never Online.
Age of consent is quite ridiculous in some ways when you think about it. It might not be OK to have sex with somebody today, for example, but it's all right to do it tomorrow if they turn 18 tomorrow.
^...Really? I think that's ridiculous personally.

Steelers_Fan

hiding in your mind
In some ways, it's bad. In others it protects people, you don't want an aspiring 15 year old dancer to get pregnant and become yet another single mother in line for welfare do you?

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
In some ways, it's bad. In others it protects people, you don't want an aspiring 15 year old dancer to get pregnant and become yet another single mother in line for welfare do you?
Whose fault would it be if she became pregnant? Unless she was raped, it was partly her choice.

Grei

not the color
Age of consent is a flawed system. It not only implies that teenagers do not have the mental capacity to make good decisions, but it also makes sex seem alluring. It's human nature to want to do what we aren't supposed to. If there is no age of consent, the taboo will disappear and teenagers will have no reason to have sex.

The prefrontal cortex--the part of the brain that aids in decision-making--is not fully formed in those who are under the age of 25.

Teenagers don't know anything

The age of consent is too important to repeal just for the sake of removing the reverse psychology/rebelliousness involved. True, sex is more exciting when it's illegal, and thus underage teens might get involved in more sex, but let's think for a moment.

Is it really a good idea to make it legal for children of any age to have sex? Like, truly? Again with the prefrontal cortex stuff I mentioned above--are you really making a good decision in deciding that the age of consent is bad?

Last edited:

Steelers_Fan

hiding in your mind
Whose fault would it be if she became pregnant? Unless she was raped, it was partly her choice.

Yes it was partly her choice, but if the father was 16 or older her parents could sue him, and the court system tends to lean towards females. Rape or consensual sex under the age of consent, they are both illegal and should stay that way.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
The prefrontal cortext--the part of the brain that aids in decision-making--is not fully formed in those who are under the age of 25.

Teenagers don't know anything

The age of consent is too important to repeal just for the sake of removing the reverse psychology/rebelliousness involved. True, sex is more exciting when it's illegal, and thus underage teens might get involved in more sex, but let's think for a moment.

Is it really a good idea to make it legal for children of any age to have sex? Like, truly? Again with the prefrontal cortex stuff I mentioned above--are you really making a good decision in deciding that the age of consent is bad?
You're saying that the age of consent should be raised 25, that way we can be sure that the prefrontal cortex is fully developed?

Yes it was partly her choice, but if the father was 16 or older her parents could sue him, and the court system tends to lean towards females. Rape or consensual sex under the age of consent, they are both illegal and should stay that way.
The male should get sued for doing the same thing as the female. What sort of logic is that? You're agreeing with a sexist system.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
If there is no age of consent, the taboo will disappear and teenagers will have no reason to have sex.

I'm pretty damn sure teenagers want to have sex for another reason besides the fact that it's 'taboo'.

...that's all that really needs to be said to debunk this argument.

Steelers_Fan

hiding in your mind
The male should get sued for doing the same thing as the female. What sort of logic is that? You're agreeing with a sexist system.

The male is the one getting sued, even if his parents counter-sue the court system will give everything to the female. Never once did I say that I agreed with it, it's just simply how our country runs. Nothing will change a judge/jury feeling sorry for a female.

Profesco

gone gently
Grei and SunnyC beat me to the things I'd usually say in a topic like this. Still, can't resist.

teenagers will have no reason to have sex.

Shot yourself in the foot, there. Hormones are a thing. Also, it is a fact that teenagers are ill-equipped to make weighty decisions. To make a decision, you must know what the intended, possible, and probable effects of your choice will be; these are understood processes and can be identified and mapped to a specific area or group of areas in the human brain, areas that have not developed enough to support those processes until the early twenties. This alone can't be argued.

Your post is entirely without biological support. You also do not provide any line of reasoning equating "taboo" to "compulsion to do a thing," or for that matter, how repealing the taboo destroys all desire to do a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.