• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Repealing age of consent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
I'm a conservative Christian. I believe abstinence is the best choice before marriage. I was abstinent before I married my wife. But I'd have to disagree with you if you're trying to say that sex was intended to only be for procreation. The entire book of Song of Solomon is a testament to that.

Congratulations to you for you iron will to resist the allure of sex.

MissingNoHunter

Cannon Time.
Oooookay, the creator of this thread's a twit. The brains of teenagers aren't fully developed, and there are reasons for us (I'm 14) to do it other than "It's not allowed, so I wanna do it!" Like I said, I'm 14, yet there are pregnant girls in my grade who are treated like gods. They even say they came onto the guys in the first place. People like that are why I lost faith in humanity a long time ago.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
Oooookay, the creator of this thread's a twit. The brains of teenagers aren't fully developed, and there are reasons for us (I'm 14) to do it other than "It's not allowed, so I wanna do it!" Like I said, I'm 14, yet there are pregnant girls in my grade who are treated like gods. They even say they came onto the guys in the first place. People like that are why I lost faith in humanity a long time ago.

You have discredited everything you said or will say by claiming that your brain isn't fully developed.

murkrowrob

Yamask Hugger x_x
It shouldn't really matter what age you are providing that there's been a good amount of sex-ed in schools so they know about contraception and safe sex etc.

It doesn't work anyway. I'm 15 and the majority of people in my year talk about losing their virginity or whatever. Banning something only makes a lot of people want to do it more.

One of the main reasons we have the laws is to protect young peopel from getting exploited by adults.

Bhatman

Chilled Hottie
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't a person (or a child for that matter) the naivest when (s)he is in his/her early childhood? Shouldn't things like this be taught to them at that age?

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
Uhhh... Age of consent laws exist to prevent sex with minors, among other things. And even if it didn't exist, teens would still have sex because of hormones and because they would not have a good sense of foresight to weight an important decision such as this.

Also, I thought that teens would only get prosecuted for age of consent if one of them was over the age of consent and the other wasn't when they had sex. I thought that it wouldn't matter if they were both under the age.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
You have discredited everything you said or will say by claiming that your brain isn't fully developed.

SunnyC just said your brain isn't fully developed either...

Vshan:

Yes, children are the most naive, but some of the that should wear off in their teenage years, although they still have a massive amount of it. Children, like un-human primates, instinctively practice sexual behaviors at early ages, as even as 9 or 10. By the time these children do become sexually mature, they're probably already experienced. :p The public school systems must realize this, so that's why they attack us with sex ed and health classes in our late middle school or early high school years. Unfortunately, it's a one-time class, so most people are quick to forget.

@Krake:

Yes, one person has to be over the age of consent. I'm assuming the laws were created in order to get some kind of justice for the minor involved if it was a rape case.

ChedWick

I agree that some close in age exceptions should be made, but not for two people when one of them is 18 or older. Even then, the exceptions should be no more than 2 years difference, as anything else would be too much leverage.

That is exactly why I feel there SHOULD be exceptions for close age. It doesn't make any sense if one year a 15 year old and a 17 year old go unpunished for having sex then the next year the 18 year old is prosecuted for engaging in consensual sex with the same person. Kinda like that old 90s MTV movie about statutory rape. The whole ordeal was absolute BS.

Look I was just trying to make a point that not everybody's life turns out to be a fairy tale after having a child. There are people who come to regret their decisions. I'm glad, however, that your friend is managing her life so well. She must be a very strong-willed individual, and I am sorry I tried to use her as an example.

I'm sure her life isn't as great as you may think but that doesn't mean she isn't happy to have a child. I have quite a few friends who had unplanned pregnancies that ruined their plans and say how hard it is but also say they wouldn't give up their child for anything. This is a concept you should learn to understand.

I'm 15 btw :p

Big surprise.

I'm sorry if I was a little intense in this thread. I just feel strongly about this subject that some people don't deserve to be pardoned by the law. If they make these decisions knowing what the law states, than they shouldn't receive any leniency, unless it is a rape case.

So you feel strongly that people shouldn't be allowed to have different values and practice their own human rights... interesting.

Yes, one person has to be over the age of consent. I'm assuming the laws were created in order to get some kind of justice for the minor involved if it was a rape case.

As if this law was needed for justice in a rape case... You really do have an interesting way of putting things together.

Dear Insanity

above average
The age of consent is just a rough guide line. A 15 year old or something wouldn't be prosecuted for having sex with a 17 for example, because it happens so often and usually no harm is done (age of consent is 16 where I live). It's there mostly for older people (25+, let's say) having sex with minors.

Also, you're really naive if you think teenagers wouldn't have sex if it wasn't illegal for them to do so.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I'm a teen and mostly make good decisions when ever i'm not at school.

MissingNoHunter

Cannon Time.

Yeah, because I make stupid decisions all the time. Replying to your comment was one of them.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
That is exactly why I feel there SHOULD be exceptions for close age. It doesn't make any sense if one year a 15 year old and a 17 year old go unpunished for having sex then the next year the 18 year old is prosecuted for engaging in consensual sex with the same person. Kinda like that old 90s MTV movie about statutory rape. The whole ordeal was absolute BS.

I'm sure her life isn't as great as you may think but that doesn't mean she isn't happy to have a child. I have quite a few friends who had unplanned pregnancies that ruined their plans and say how hard it is but also say they wouldn't give up their child for anything. This is a concept you should learn to understand.

Big surprise.

So you feel strongly that people shouldn't be allowed to have different values and practice their own human rights... interesting.

As if this law was needed for justice in a rape case... You really do have an interesting way of putting things together.

Just exactly how old are you, ChedWick? You seem to have all the answers! I'd like to know just how old this fountain of greater knowledge is.

Well, in cases such as that don't you think the 15 year old and 17 year old wouldn't be saying anything if it was consensual? If it wasn't rape, of course those two wouldn't bring it up to the police. It's interesting how YOU put things together more than I.

Oh, for Heaven's sake ChedWick, THAT WAS THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE LAST NIGHT!!! You are an inconsiderate adolescent for saying I have no clue about her friend's life and how she could be perfectly content last night and then when I apologize for using her as an example of her plans being changed, you say the EXACT SAME THING TODAY. It's amazing how often you get away with these blatant attacks.

Human rights are restricted for reasons. You could say it's a human right to own a gun, rob a bank, or kill someone couldn't you? No, you can't, because these acts can seriously screw up a person's life. Some people don't have the mental capacity to understand what consequences their actions might have, which is EXACTLY why you see all of these teenagers having sex. Their brains are not fully developed, yet you wan to give them free reign? When someone is that age, it's natural to restrict their rights until they're old enough to follow sensible thought chains. After all, do you really want teens going off and having sex without thinking about it? Just like last night, you fail to recognize that so many people choose not to use protection because sex may as well be a spur of the moment occasion, so those encounters could cause STDs or pregnancies. The government is simply trying to get some grasp on the wild, uncontrolled adolescents who are our future. We'd rather have intelligent, responsible people in charge of the world as opposed to teen moms and pimps, wouldn't we?

Not all rape cases exactly go well, smart one. People can as easily get away with rape as they can murder.

Actually, much, MUCH easier...

Last edited:

MissingNoHunter

Cannon Time.
Just exactly how old are you, ChedWick? You seem to have all the answers! I'd like to know just how old this fountain of greater knowledge is.

Well, in cases such as that don't you think the 15 year old and 17 year old wouldn't be saying anything if it was consensual? If it wasn't rape, of course those two wouldn't bring it up to the police. It's interesting how YOU put things together more than I.

Oh, for Heaven's sake ChedWick, THAT WAS THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE LAST NIGHT!!! You are an inconsiderate adolescent for saying I have no clue about her friend's life and how she could be perfectly content last night and then when I apologize for using her as an example of her plans being changed, you say the EXACT SAME THING TODAY. It's amazing how often you get away with these blatant attacks.

Human rights are restricted for reasons. You could say it's a human right to own a gun, rob a bank, or kill someone couldn't you? No, you can't, because these acts can seriously screw up a person's life. Some people don't have the mental capacity to understand what consequences their actions might have, which is EXACTLY why you see all of these teenagers having sex. Their brains are not fully developed, yet you wan to give them free reign? When someone is that age, it's natural to restrict their rights until they're old enough to follow sensible thought chains. After all, do you really want teens going off and having sex without thinking about it? Just like last night, you fail to recognize that so many people choose not to use protection because sex may as well be a spur of the moment occasion, so those encounters could cause STDs or pregnancies. The government is simply trying to get some grasp on the wild, uncontrolled adolescents who are our future. We'd rather have intelligent, responsible people in charge of the world as opposed to teen moms and pimps, wouldn't we?

Not all rape cases exactly go well, smart one. People can as easily get away with rape as they can murder.

Wow... You just destroyed ChedWick. Here, have a cookie.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Team Aero Leader
Manafi's Dream, how exactly does simply owning a gun screw up one's life? That's one I'm really interested in hearing the answer to. I will agree that some people don't have the mental capacity to understand the consequences of their actions. Not some teens, some people. God knows how many adults are just as bad(the government being a perfect example). So what you're trying to say that two adults in a stable relationship are allowed to have sex simply because they are adults? "Spur of the moment occasions" happen to adults too, but I guess that's fine simply because they're adults.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム

Thank you for the cookie. He had it coming. I'm not the only one he's ticked off.

@PokemonLeagueChamp:

I meant that gun comment as more a reference to the teens or adults who feel their lives are "unable to be fixed" and resort to killing themselves. Guns can also, sadly be used to vent one person's anger toward another in the family, thus hurting a loved one out of anger. I've also seen people be expelled from my high school for owning guns and accidentally leaving them in their cars after hunting trips. It's sad, but guns ruin lives. If you need more evidence, feel free to talk to the entire African continent.

It's fine for adults because they're out on their own, where they are responsible for their own actions. Teenagers are still under the charge of their parents, and the parents are nearly always pulled into these situations. I feel it's best that teens not cause trouble from having sex until they've moved out and are on their own. If their parents choose to bail them out and assist them to get their lives on track, that's fine with me. Just don't go get pregnant or arrested for whatever form of sex you had and cause unnecessary stress for your parents.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
There are plenty of adults who are less responsible about sex than I'm sure some teenagers are. It's a flawed system, but at least it is there for a purpose. I would lower the age of consent to sixteen, but only if coupled with mandatory sex education. You'd be surprised about the stupid misconceptions about sex that kids can carry long into adulthood as a result of a poor education resulting from pretty repression.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version

It's really ironic that you've threatened to report Chedwick, and then accused him of attacking you when the first thing you did in this rebuttal was tell him what a know-it-all he is. And then you kept on reminding him. Great job not stooping to his level!

You're 15 and you consistantly refer to teenagers as "them" rather than "us". Which is good for you, because the portion of teens you use as an example have undeveloped brains and don't seem to know what happens after sex. I think most teenagers know that sex is for making babies. Anyone who watches evening television knows what an STD is, and if they don't, the word goes around through the school. Teens often know the possible consequences to having sex, they just don't always care.

Also, most of your rebuttal is a strawman. Chedwick was arguing for exceptions for close age. The way you argued your point, it was like he was advocating remove age of consent altogether. The message I came away with was, 'if we let 18 year olds and 17 year olds have sex without prosecuting them for rape...teen moms and pimps will rule the world.' That's major hyperbole. When Chedwick says stuff like this is ridiculous, it's not him trying to personally attack you. It is really ridiculous.

Loosening the law will not cause all hell to break loose.

ChedWick

Clearly you have not been following this discussion very well.

Relevance?

I suppose things would seem odd when they don't follow your own ridiculous logic. Anyway, of course two consenting teenagers wouldn't be going to the police on each other. Others might though, parents, teachers, pissy virgin friends; which would make the 17 year old a criminal based on the law despite both teens consenting(given the age of consent is 16 or even 17). Your comments of rape and the age of consent are just not fluid with the argument because the age of consent doesn't protect against actual rape. Rape laws do. Statutory rape on the other hand which can and does occur between consenting partners happens.

No you weren't. You were blatantly bashing Draya's friend, making false accusations that said friend planned the pregnancy while saying how stupid it was. YOU ARE the inconsiderate adolescent for saying such things and kinda making things up to valid date your point, which was invalidated the moment Draya confirmed that his/he friend did not plan her pregnancy. If you think what I said is exactly what you were saying then you really missed something or just fail at conveying your thoughts properly because I bet Draya and SunnyC, who were following the discussion last night are probably facepalming at you.

Funny, here in the US it is a right to own a gun but I would categorize it into the right of a citizen of the US. A human right differs. And no I wouldn’t say impeding on the safety of others against their will is a human right, that’s just a terrible example to begin with and I wont address it further.

We see all these teenagers having sex because it’s fun, its pleasurable and makes you feel pretty good, not because they don't know the consequences. They practice unsafe sex because they don't know the consequences or because they don’t care enough. Again you are playing this like scare tactics should be used as a deterrent.

Now whats this about our future with teen moms and pimps... I honestly don't know how you come up with this stuff.

All the age of consent does is victimizing one of two consenting parties for sex. Statutory rape and forced rape are not the same thing. I guess on technical terms yea having the age of consent would put a rapist behind bars only because they can place him or her with the “victim” in sexual acts with no need to prove the malice. I’ll again reference an MTV movie on this. I think it was called jailbait.

Let me just confirm this. Your stance is sex is/should be illegal and anyone breaking that law should be punished regardless of age? Cuz that sure seems like what your pulling for.

Great job not stooping to his level!
Aw I'm insulted :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.