• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Repealing age of consent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
Clearly you have not been following this discussion very well.

Relevance?

I suppose things would seem odd when they don't follow your own ridiculous logic. Anyway, of course two consenting teenagers wouldn't be going to the police on each other. Others might though, parents, teachers, pissy virgin friends; which would make the 17 year old a criminal based on the law despite both teens consenting(given the age of consent is 16 or even 17). Your comments of rape and the age of consent are just not fluid with the argument because the age of consent doesn't protect against actual rape. Rape laws do. Statutory rape on the other hand which can and does occur between consenting partners happens.

No you weren't. You were blatantly bashing Draya's friend, making false accusations that said friend planned the pregnancy while saying how stupid it was. YOU ARE the inconsiderate adolescent for saying such things and kinda making things up to valid date your point, which was invalidated the moment Draya confirmed that his/he friend did not plan her pregnancy. If you think what I said is exactly what you were saying then you really missed something or just fail at conveying your thoughts properly because I bet Draya and SunnyC, who were following the discussion last night are probably facepalming at you.

Funny, here in the US it is a right to own a gun but I would categorize it into the right of a citizen of the US. A human right differs. And no I wouldn’t say impeding on the safety of others against their will is a human right, that’s just a terrible example to begin with and I wont address it further.

We see all these teenagers having sex because it’s fun, its pleasurable and makes you feel pretty good, not because they don't know the consequences. They practice unsafe sex because they don't know the consequences or because they don’t care enough. Again you are playing this like scare tactics should be used as a deterrent.

Now whats this about our future with teen moms and pimps... I honestly don't know how you come up with this stuff.

All the age of consent does is victimizing one of two consenting parties for sex. Statutory rape and forced rape are not the same thing. I guess on technical terms yea having the age of consent would put a rapist behind bars only because they can place him or her with the “victim” in sexual acts with no need to prove the malice. I’ll again reference an MTV movie on this. I think it was called jailbait.

Let me just confirm this. Your stance is sex is/should be illegal and anyone breaking that law should be punished regardless of age? Cuz that sure seems like what your pulling for.

Aw I'm insulted :(

Wow, there is no winning with you. You are an aggressive, offensive debater who does nothing but enforce his opinion on others. We have our opinions, too, so there's no need for you to try to convert us to whatever you think is right. It's funny how you always target the new guy, also. You seriously try to intimidate others with slander and sorry excuses for debate. I really see how SunnyC could state it as sinking down to your level. Clearly that is a place I don't want to go.

Your age is just about as relevant as my age is, just as when you brought it up several times in your rebuttals against me. For all we know, you could be 13 or 14. Makes you wonder why you keep your age a secret huh?

You honestly think those teens are going to spout off to their friends and not expect them to tell? Of course they do, that's why they have dirt on all of their friends for blackmail. :)

I have already apologized SEVERAL times for abashing draya's friend, both publicly and privately, and she has forgiven me. I was extremely sorry for ever implying her friend was a horrible person. You, sir, on the other hand, cannot let go of something that had nothing to do with you. You choose to only hold it over my head as some way to make all of my comments irrelevant. BTW it's validated, not valid dated...

You should be just as concerned as all of the adults are (assuming you're not one, which is likely based on your childish slander) that the next generation of the world is doing things that will screw up a lot of the lives in said generation. It is important that their lives be as normal and stable as possible so these people will come from good backgrounds and have at least a standard education. Sex can very well screw up all of that.

You are twisting my words. ONLY teenagers need to be punished. And I never even stated what kind of punishment. It shouldn't be something heavy, just a night in jail, a notice to the parents, possible restriction of driver's license or learner's depending on age, and a possible academic suspension, but that should be left up to the teens' high school. Not sure how the last would do anything, but you never know...

I am choosing not to further discuss this topic with you ChedWick, as there is simply NO WAY of ever making you understand SOMEONE ELSE'S point of view. I will still be active on this thread, but I will ignore any comments you have.

And yes, you should be insulted.

Last edited:

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
Everything you said is discredited as well now, because the human brain isn't fully developed until age 25.

That study was made solely to discredit younger scientists.

ChedWick

Wow, there is no winning with you. You are an aggressive, offensive debater who does nothing but enforce his opinion on others. We have our opinions, too, so there's no need for you to try to convert us to whatever you think is right. It's funny how you always target the new guy, also. You seriously try to intimidate others with slander and sorry excuses for debate. I really see how SunnyC could state it as sinking down to your level. Clearly that is a place I don't want to go.

I also get the feeling I've come to your level unfortunately. based on previous posts in this thread anyway.

Your age is just about as relevant as my age is, just as when you brought it up several times in your rebuttals against me. For all we know, you could be 13 or 14. Makes you wonder why you keep your age a secret huh?

There is really no winning with me when the other side is illogical. But anyways I'm 23 years of age. I'm pretty sure its in my profile which obvious must be hidden since I'm so secretive about it.

You honestly think those teens are going to spout off to their friends and not expect them to tell? Of course they do, that's why they have dirt on all of their friends for blackmail. :)

I'm not sure where to go with this. You've essentially paraphrased my rebuttal against you... will investigate further.

I have already apologized SEVERAL times for abashing draya's friend, both publicly and privately, and she has forgiven me. I was extremely sorry for ever implying her friend was a horrible person. You, sir, on the other hand, cannot let go of something that had nothing to do with you. You choose to only hold it over my head as some way to make all of my comments irrelevant. BTW it's validated, not valid dated...

Maybe, last I read publicly Draya had no intention of letting the trash talk be forgiven so easily. If privately he/she has then good for them, there are far to few forgiving people.

You should be just as concerned as all of the adults are (assuming you're not one, which is likely based on your childish slander) that the next generation of the world is doing things that will screw up a lot of the lives in said generation. It is important that their lives be as normal and stable as possible so these people will come from good backgrounds and have at least a standard education. Sex can very well screw up all of that.

A, childish libel response to refute semi-constructive criticism... See above about age. As far as criticizing typos... Yup I made a typo that got auto corrected against my better judgement, oh well. Taking that route of debating is an online defense mechanism for a sinking ship :D

Considering teen pregnancy is at an all time low I'd say we are doing a pretty good job so far. On the flip side I do believe numbers for sexually active teens have risen. Not sure what the correlation could be argued for at this point but I find it a little interesting.

You are twisting my words. ONLY teenagers need to be punished. And I never even stated what kind of punishment. It shouldn't be something heavy, just a night in jail, a notice to the parents, possible restriction of driver's license or learner's depending on age, and a possible academic suspension, but that should be left up to the teens' high school. Not sure how the last would do anything, but you never know...

I don't think I've twisted anything, you've made it painfully clear over and over. All of your punishments excluding the note to the parents I deem ridiculous for a personal choice between two or more consenting teens.

I am choosing not to further discuss this topic with you ChedWick, as there is simply NO WAY of ever making you understand SOMEONE ELSE'S point of view. I will still be active on this thread, but I will ignore any comments you have.

Can't beat them, ignore them I see.

And yes, you should be insulted.
Somehow I think not. Sunny's a pretty cool member.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
That study was made solely to discredit younger scientists.

Poor young scientists. The good news is most people involved in the scientific community are still in college by 25. :p

So, are we the only country that has age of consent? I mean other than the Muslim countries. I don't even wanna know what they have to say about it. It always kinda feels like to me they have the death penalty as a standard punishment haha

CSolarstorm

New spicy version

So you ragequit.

I would point out the other flaws in your tyrade against ChedWick, but forget it. It can't be helped.

You're actually slandering me by using my words against him. I made it clear afterwards that I wasn't trying to insult him. When you write an angry rant about someone, leave me out of it.

Last edited:

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
I'm not rage quitting. I'm well aware that ChedWick is a subject of disdain for most people in this forum, as I'm not the only one who he has ticked off. Most of the time he just commented on my responses as they are ridiculous or insane! "Insane" is not taking other people's opinions seriously or not giving that person some BOTD. Of course not everyone's opinions will play out, but he acts as if I'm a dictator.

Plus you ignored my last question. You are acting just like him, choosing to remain off-topic and further reprimanding me for what I said. I'm not so sure that I am the immature one here.

ChedWick

Lol there you go again... Now I'm some plaque that everyone on the forums hates, and now you're insulting Sunny. You certainly are one of a kind.

I'll comment a few parts of your elaboration of punishments for sex. Only teens should be punished? That kind of sounds like prejudice, but I think what you mean is only teens younger than the age of consent. Either way the schools jurisdiction is the schools property. Unless a teen is having sexual relations with another student on the bus or school grounds the school shouldn't have any say. Though there are cases where the schools have overstepped their boundaries but that's a whole other debate entirely. I do think a note to the parents is a pretty fair reaction. The parents should know IMHO so that they can better guide their child. I know with my older brother he got a pretty detailed talk after he my mom found out he lost his virginity. Strangely I never did. Having any jail time for consensual sex even once is just flat out insane though. I can maybe see how you feel it would jerk a young teens opinions a different direction toward sex but that's just scare tactic and those don't work all that well. Sex isn't some evil action.

Last edited:

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
Look ChedWick, can we at least have a civil discussion? Rather than writing off all of my comments, can you give some room for others opinions? I'm sorry if I was labeling you as the plague, but to be fair I only meant in the Debate Forum, which doesn't make it any better. I just want to put my childish behavior behind me and begin a more civilized debate.

The same is extended to you Sunny. I am sorry if I insulted you as well.

I just wanted to express my own opinions on the age of consent from the vantage point of someone under the law. Is that so much to ask?

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
So, are we the only country that has age of consent? I mean other than the Muslim countries. I don't even wanna know what they have to say about it. It always kinda feels like to me they have the death penalty as a standard punishment haha

Sorry, I was typing too slow and did not catch up to this question.

Nope. I hate to dig up dreya's friend again :p but, she mentioned that the age of consent in Austrailia is 16. It's also that way in the UK and Canada.

Actually the age of consent used to be 12 in must U.S. states, but by the 1920's almost all the states changed it to 16 or 18. So this idea that sex starts at eighteen is only a hundred years old. (And invented in the prudish 1920's.)

So, having an age gap law added would not be that strange. It wouldn't even reach the former age of consent laws.

I'm not rage quitting. I'm well aware that ChedWick is a subject of disdain for most people in this forum, as I'm not the only one who he has ticked off.

A rose by any other name is still as angry.

When I was new here I saw that there were members who were infamous for being the subject of many grudges by other members...but eventually I noticed they were just that, grudges. The crusades against these infamous members showed a lot more immaturity and often revealed a realistic side of these supposedly disdainful people. A lot of the people here are rough, stubborn, and blunt. It's not a sin. I deal with that by trying to be a different sort of member, but I'm friendly with the less gentle members.

I'm 23 as well.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
Look ChedWick, can we at least have a civil discussion? Rather than writing off all of my comments, can you give some room for others opinions? I'm sorry if I was labeling you as the plague, but to be fair I only meant in the Debate Forum, which doesn't make it any better. I just want to put my childish behavior behind me and begin a more civilized debate.

The same is extended to you Sunny. I am sorry if I insulted you as well.

I just wanted to express my own opinions on the age of consent from the vantage point of someone under the law. Is that so much to ask?

EDIT: My internet is acting up. :p

I didn't see her friend was in Australia. I wonder how they react to these kinds of things. You know, how parents feel if their children become pregnant or if they develop an STD. They surely know what they had to have done for those to happen, so I wonder if there is a different way parents handle it there.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
You know, how parents feel if their children become pregnant or if they develop an STD. They surely know what they had to have done for those to happen, so I wonder if there is a different way parents handle it there.

Yeah, I'm sure they know that their children had to have sex in order to get an STD. Maybe they get a punishment, get a restriction, and/or the parents start teaching them safe sex (which exists) and giving them pointers about living an adult life so they don't feel like they are trying to control someone who has essentially announced with their actions that they are ready to confront adulthood.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
Hmm, doesn't sound too different from we Americans. I'd just hate to break that news to my parents if they were one of the hunter types and had really short tempers and REALLY big guns :D

If I ever find out my child had sex, I would feel disappointed she didn't feel close enough to tell me, but I'd do the best I can to fix it. And of course, get them IMMEDIATELY tested for pregnancy and STDs :p But that's just me: very paranoid.

ChedWick

I don't find it civil to twist others words around, screaming foul play, making ridiculous accusations and flat out wrong comments. Nor do I find it civil to place a further insult with in an lackluster apology.

I understand your desire to express your opinion from your vantage point but you must realize you've only had one view thus fair. So your scope is a little limited. I just don't understand how you can wish for jail time and other punishments towards those around your age for experimenting. Having a crusade for safer sex would make much more sense to me. Do keep in mind you are in the debate forum and as such your opinions are going to be debated. Opinions can change and contrary to popular belief can be wrong.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Hmm, doesn't sound too different from we Americans. I'd just hate to break that news to my parents if they were one of the hunter types and had really short tempers and REALLY big guns :D

If I ever find out my child had sex, I would feel disappointed she didn't feel close enough to tell me, but I'd do the best I can to fix it. And of course, get them IMMEDIATELY tested for pregnancy and STDs :p But that's just me: very paranoid.

Now what kind of parents are going to shoot their kids for getting an STD. lol, that's like finding out someone wrote in their schoolbook and punishing them by burning it.

You're not paranoid, I agree that's the exact right thing to do.

Sunny's a pretty cool member.

By the way, thanks.

I'm just going to step out, though, while the rest of the conflict plays out - I'm hungry.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
Right or wrong is always in the eyes of the beholder, not the entire world. What some people see as wrong could be right to others.

I never meant serious jail time. I was referring to a one-night stay to simply scare them out of breaking the law. They did that to my dad once, and it's kept him on the straight-and-narrow ever since. I just thought that might have some positive effect.

I do agree safe sex is important to advertise, I just wish we didn't have to fall back on that, rather than prevent sex in the first place. But we can't stop everybody, I know, so the least we can do is inform them of the risks and what to do to protect themselves.

See you again soon, Sunny! :)

ChedWick

Right or wrong is always in the eyes of the beholder, not the entire world. What some people see as wrong could be right to others.
So is beautify /wink

I never meant serious jail time. I was referring to a one-night stay to simply scare them out of breaking the law. They did that to my dad once, and it's kept him on the straight-and-narrow ever since. I just thought that might have some positive effect.

I suppose that's where we differ. I don't think anyone but maybe the parents should have any say as to whether or not someone is ready for sex. Age of consent is meant to protect against pedophiles not necessarily to tirade against youngsters.

I do agree safe sex is important to advertise, I just wish we didn't have to fall back on that, rather than prevent sex in the first place. But we can't stop everybody, I know,so the least we can do is inform them of the risks and what to do to protect themselves.

And here we go. After all our bickering we find a little bit of common ground. I do hope you try a bit harder not to twist the words of others around in the future though.

I'm starving as well, I'm thinking tacos today. Hopefully someone posts something interesting enough to debate when I decide to check back. The forums have been rather boring to me lately.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
I've only had 1 thread so far in the Debate Forum, but it hasn't been active today. :p

Very true about the beauty part.

I understand that it protects against pedophiles, but I never intended it to go on their records as brought in for underage sex. I realize now that could definitely interfere with a lot of people's plans and prevent them from being accepted to a job or accepted to college. It may actually interfere with giving them normal, stable lives if we permanently label them as sex offenders.

I'm glad we've reached common ground, too. I'm sorry it took this long for me to understand your point of view.

I'm pretty sure I'm having homemade pizza! I'm dying of starvation!! :D

MissingNoHunter

Cannon Time.
Oh my God, the world's going to end...you two solved your quarrel without getting Profesco'd. I'm surprised. *clap clap clap*
Also, I live in Oklahoma, where the only Sex. Ed is "Don't do it, or you'll burn in everlasting hellfire." For the love of God, I hate bringing the church into school. Keep it seperate...but I'm going off topic... Anyway, repealing the age of consent's an extremely stupid idea, I'm backing out of the thread. Have a nice day. ;000;

Last edited:

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
The human mind is not fully developed, especially in the areas related to emotions and decision-making, until you are at about 21 years of age.

Why do you think so many teenagers run off getting tattoos, only to hate them 10 .. 20 years later? Just an example.

I do personally believe that everyone should have the liberty to choose what they do. I also disagree with the idea that an 18 year old can be arrested for having sex with his 17 year old girlfriend who turns 18 in a week. Or even if he was 19 and she was 16.

But, unfortunately, if you get rid of the age of consent, you run the risk of having much more teenage pregnancies (believe me, we have QUITE enough), as well as much larger age gaps between partners. You wouldn't want to find out your 11 year old daughter had sex with a 23 year old, and there was nothing you could do, right?

You have to wager the possibilities: Remove the age of consent and have much older men with young girls, or vice versa, along with more teenage pregnancies, or have the same age of consent and have kids more eager to have sex just in spite of the rules.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
For the billionth time the Age of Consent is the law the protects children from pedophiles. So by repealing it it's legal for a 40 year old creep to solicit sex from a 10 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.