• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Replacing Ash With A New Protaganist

How many of you want Ash to be replaced?

• Total voters
I would be super-ok with Ash being replaced but I don't think it will happen considering Higher-ups at The Pokemon company don't want a 21-year old Ash, I would be ok with a 21-year old Ash Ketchum with a 22-year old Serena and Ash's Daughter could have a female Pikachu considering Pikachu is most marketable character, Lei could have talked to Ash's Daughter.
and boom, the end of Ash's Journeys it is.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Replace Ash with Hilda in gen 10 just in time for BW remakes a year or two in :D

Eneci

FrogadierMasterLucas
I would be up for a new protagonist.
Give Ash his due Glory and move on.

but it would be rough. Maybe give the protagonist a Pikachu regional variant and keep people interested.
But starting over from scratch might not be appealing for viewers.
We‘ll see, but I don‘t expect it. Just don‘t want Goh to be the protagonist.

MartínK

Again this, Ash is not going to be replaced and Goh won't be the next protagonist, i don't see him in gen 9

Pokemon Power

If it ever came time to replace Ash, then perhaps they could do a time-skip and have it be his child. They could even have a Pichu bred from Ash's Pikachu as their main partner.

EmberFireTrainer

An anomaly
I love Gary's continuity tho. They have handled him so well and are utilising his character perfectly, showing his knowledgeable research side plus also his teasing side against Goh reminiscent of his past self but being used by him not just to bully but to push him forward
Gary is perfect continuity
I always thought that Gary has had great character development throughout the series.

deliaketchum

I agree. Female Protagonists would make it more interesting for Pokémon Anime, Why can't we have Dawn and Serena after PM2019?
My guess is they have difficulty showing girl for hero to save a day. I mean it is easy to show boy jumping cliffs, throwing logs and what not.

But with bea they can show that now. Along with serena and dawn perfect companions

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Replacement only alleviates the symptom of the problems and not the problems themselves.

For Ash to leave, you need to give finality to him while justifying the existence of the next protagonist.

How do you justify the existence of a new protagonist? Well, for starters, making an Ash clone is not the way to go which I totally foresee.

When you see other shows that change cast every year like the various Tokusatsu shows, you notice a pattern. Despite introducing the same formula and tropes, they always build a new mythology with new arcs for their characters. No one who has seen Samurai Sentai Shinkenger and Tensou Sentai Goseiger will say they are the exact same shows with the exact same characters. With Pokemon, you run into some common protagonist replacement problems.

The first option is to make this a protagonist to a sequel. You can easily run into the Davis Problem where your protagonist is so similar to the old one and such a stand-in for the old one that the protagonist comes off as dull and uninteresting. The first time you tell your story, it's a tragedy. The second time you try to pull this on the audience, it's a farce.

The second option is to make an isolated mythology. You leave it ambiguous or explicit that there is no connection between old and new characters and mythologies. This is the route Tokusatsu takes nowadays. The issue with this is that you risk diminishing popularity per series. There's a reason why Digimon fell victim to this. If a series is really bad, you can kill a franchise. I'm looking at you Digimon Frontier and Lupinranger vs. Pataranger. Each series would be courting cancellation. Before anyone can say "this is Pokemon and won't get canned," Super Sentai has 45 series and skirted cancellation multiple times.

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
If they're reluctant to completely drop Ash as a character, then I'd at least like the current Ash's story to end. Do a proper reboot with an AU Ash (similar to the M20 version) and use Round 2 as an opportunity to give us better and more consistent worldbuilding right from the start. Maybe even give justice to the Kanto and Unova game storylines and a proper journey through Galar.

Replacement only alleviates the symptom of the problems and not the problems themselves.

For Ash to leave, you need to give finality to him while justifying the existence of the next protagonist.

How do you justify the existence of a new protagonist? Well, for starters, making an Ash clone is not the way to go which I totally foresee.

When you see other shows that change cast every year like the various Tokusatsu shows, you notice a pattern. Despite introducing the same formula and tropes, they always build a new mythology with new arcs for their characters. No one who has seen Samurai Sentai Shinkenger and Tensou Sentai Goseiger will say they are the exact same shows with the exact same characters. With Pokemon, you run into some common protagonist replacement problems.

The first option is to make this a protagonist to a sequel. You can easily run into the Davis Problem where your protagonist is so similar to the old one and such a stand-in for the old one that the protagonist comes off as dull and uninteresting. The first time you tell your story, it's a tragedy. The second time you try to pull this on the audience, it's a farce.

The second option is to make an isolated mythology. You leave it ambiguous or explicit that there is no connection between old and new characters and mythologies. This is the route Tokusatsu takes nowadays. The issue with this is that you risk diminishing popularity per series. There's a reason why Digimon fell victim to this. If a series is really bad, you can kill a franchise. I'm looking at you Digimon Frontier and Lupinranger vs. Pataranger. Each series would be courting cancellation. Before anyone can say "this is Pokemon and won't get canned," Super Sentai has 45 series and skirted cancellation multiple times.

The First Option is rather unlikely but Second Option is super unlikely.

but Third Option? Just reboot Pokemon Anime entirely to keep AU Ash as a Protagonist but with His AU Pikachu, He needs to be solo alone but otherwise, Have a Female Traveling Partner to come tag with The AU Ash and his Pikachu.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
My guess is they have difficulty showing girl for hero to save a day. I mean it is easy to show boy jumping cliffs, throwing logs and what not.

But with bea they can show that now. Along with serena and dawn perfect companions

But that's not why the anime hasn't moved towards a female protagonist; the actual reason is that young boys are still the show's primary target audience, and they're most likely worried that a female protagonist would not resonate with them. They try to appease their large female audience with female traveling companions.

deliaketchum

But that's not why the anime hasn't moved towards a female protagonist; the actual reason is that young boys are still the show's primary target audience, and they're most likely worried that a female protagonist would not resonate with them. They try to appease their large female audience with female traveling companions.
Yes, that seems logical reason. But isnt what i said also part of the reason why boys can put them in the shoe of male prot if he can do all sorts of things associated with male commonly.

Maybe make two main protaganists male and female. Watching only male prot for so long can become boring.

karanova-1

Mewtwo3214
It would be good if ash is replaced with a new female protagonist who starts a journey and we see all her adventures as for ash i would like his story to be finished in a way where we see finally achieve his dream of pokemon master and be able to see his father and just wish as when his journey ends all of his old pokemons will be fully evolved and all of his released pokemons come back to ash like pidgeot, greninja, goodra and other pokemons as well permanently