• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Replacing Ash With A New Protaganist

How many of you want Ash to be replaced?

• Total voters

lanmanna

As an Ash fan I want a proper conclusion to his journey, which is being built up pretty well by the anime as of late (I mean in regards to his achievements and milestones rather then his treatment in JN)
I just want him to be respected and put to rest properly coz if he isn't replaced, then after becoming the world's strongest they will just regress him again which would be an insult
He probably won't reach number 1 and decide he still has a long way to go to be the strongest.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I'd imagine this meowth would say "Meow, Meowth" if he were to forgot human language.

that sounds about right to me.
Meowth without human language would sound kind of like this…

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
LOL @ the Chloe & Eevee option. I'm good about roasting Ash & Pikachu but having Chloe & Eevee as main characters would make them stale after one series so it wouldn't really fix the main issue about the anime, same thing with Goh as a main character.

If anything, I would have a gone with the new protagonist option, especially if it's done the way like in the games a pair of protagonists for each series.

masdog

As marketable as Ash and Pikachu are, their VAs have been in this role for almost 25 years. There will come a time when they leave the show, and if they will need a new protagonist. Hopefully, it’s done in a way that Ash and Pikachu remain in the show in some fashion, such as aging Ash up and following his child as they begin their Pokemon adventure.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
As marketable as Ash and Pikachu are, their VAs have been in this role for almost 25 years. There will come a time when they leave the show, and if they will need a new protagonist. Hopefully, it’s done in a way that Ash and Pikachu remain in the show in some fashion, such as aging Ash up and following his child as they begin their Pokemon adventure.
At that point it's better to end it and do a Next Generation story.
Just show Ash like how Boruto(stupidly) handled Rock Lee, he has a son but with who? They never say! So Ash is a single father much like how Delia is a single mother

Morax

King of heroes
At that point it's better to end it and do a Next Generation story.
Just show Ash like how Boruto(stupidly) handled Rock Lee, he has a son but with who? They never say! So Ash is a single father much like how Delia is a single mother
I mean why wouldn't they use serena instead? Ash is the equivalent to naruto, not rock lee. He already has a 'hinata' who wants to be with him.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

masdog

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I'm certain that whenever Rika Matsumoto is no longer able to voice Ash, they'll just replace her. Wether they'll pick a sound-alike or a new voice remains to be seen, but I'm pretty sure we are too far gone for just retired the character with her. This ain't the Simpsons (even if my hunch is that they'll replace the family's VAs eventually)

Pikachu is a piece of cake since they have over 20 years worthy of audio tracks of Ikue Ohtani saying "Pikachu" in all possible combinations and variations known to man. So it's just a matter of arrange the proper permissions and pay for the work as the law says.
Serebii.net is my favourite anime <3
Some characters need more screentime though :(

masdog

I'm certain that whenever Rika Matsumoto is no longer able to voice Ash, they'll just replace her. Wether they'll pick a sound-alike or a new voice remains to be seen, but I'm pretty sure we are too far gone for just retired the character with her.
As I understand it (and please correct me if I’m wrong/mistaken), Japanese VAs usually aren’t replaced when they are no longer able to perform the role. The character basically goes with them. This is reason I’ve been given about May not returning in JN - her VA retired due to an injury. I think the only way around this would be if there was a reason the characters VA needed to change, such as the character aging and needing a more mature voice.

That’s why I said that aging Ash up would be the best move. Either age him up and move him to a more mature series that targets an older audience or pull a “Next Generation” that keeps him in the story as we follow his children on their Pokemon adventures.

Pikachu is a piece of cake since they have over 20 years worthy of audio tracks of Ikue Ohtani saying "Pikachu" in all possible combinations and variations known to man. So it's just a matter of arrange the proper permissions and pay for the work as the law says.
I agree here. They can probably get away with reusing audio for most of Pikachu’s lines.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
It's not common but it CAN happen. The difference between Ash and May is, the former is still in the show with no plans to get rid of him.