• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Republican Bandwagon

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
So anyway, over the last couple of monthes I have been hearing how the Democrats in the white house are being received lukewarmly and the Republicans have become much more popular.

So that got me wondering, do people start to change their party the second things go wrong? It really got me thinking since the main reason Barack Obama won besides his eloquent speech style was since George Bush's administration failed so miserably people jumped ship and blamed the party rather than the person. I'm from Illinois so it's about as blue as it can get here but I wanted to hear some opinions.

i don't think that's entirely true

when the president ****s up, members of the opposing party let their hindsight bias run wild and pretend they knew all along that the president was going to **** up

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
I grew up seeing the Democrat Bandwagon, culminating after a decade in the election of Barack Obama - now I'm quickly seeing it turn the other way around. I think this is just common procedure. I think people are blaming Obama for a lot of things, but there are also sincere Republicans who never liked him. Also, it didn't help that America got temporarily high on having a black president - most everybody sees through that now, and wonders why Obama was so valuable to elect in the first place. Therefore, the left, which under Bush was pretty divided, is dividing again because not every Democrat supports Obama anymore, and the right, which is boosted by the Tea Party and the rages from the right that have been burning for a while now, is quickly gaining power. So that's where this "bandwagon" is coming from.

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
When a president fails to fix the disasters of a previous administration they and their party will lose popularity very quickly, it's normal and makes sense. The Republicans are taking advantage of Obama's mistakes and his very slow progress of fixing some issues. "The American public follows blindly" has truth to it, everyone was all for "change" and blindly voted for Obama, now those who are too dumb to remember who they voted for or why, are now easily switching parties to make the exact same mistake again. That's just how it is, we all want to be with the "winning" person/side though people hardly ever know what "winning" means in politics.
So yes I see the republican party becoming dominant, but the tea party jokers might keep them down or could bring them up we will need to wait for november and see what happens. Another problem Obama has is a lot of opposition were as Bush did almost anything he wanted freely.

Last edited:

7 tyranitars

it always goes that way in politics if something goes wrong they go to the opposing party

BigLutz

Banned
So yes I see the republican party becoming dominant, but the tea party jokers might keep them down or could bring them up we will need to wait for november and see what happens. Another problem Obama has is a lot of opposition were as Bush did almost anything he wanted freely.

That isn't entirely true, Bush gained alot of opposition in the lead up and after the second election. He had little opposition after 9/11 because the Democratic Party was actually for winning the war and defeating terrorists. Sadly times have changed for them.

As for the topic the Republican party right now is not the same as under Bush or the same that ran Congress. Alot of the opposition is Anti Incumbent, which is why many new Republicans are being elected in the primaries. This also is combined with strong Anti Democratic sentiment because well to put it bluntly the Democratic party ****ed up badly. No one wanted Obamacare, and spending a year on it, culminating on passing it despite overwhelming opposition, while the economy is screwed over hurt the party badly. Not to mention once the Stimulus failed people began to take note of the deficit and the out of control spending.

Goruggo

The Democrats brought this upon themselves (And I'm left-wing). They knew the polls were against them on the spending and healthcare act, so what did they expect would happen if economic growth did not show signs of working quickly. Whether they're right or wrong, Americans have been in a recession now for nearly 3 years and want some sort of bi-partisan solution. Just to show the opinion of Obama now Ohio voters say 50-42% for wanting Bush in office rather than Obama.

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2010/08/previewing-ohio.html

Look at this article to see after $111 million in spending, the city of Los Angeles only created 55 out of the target 238 jobs.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/632...ct-arra-los-angeles-stimulus-wendy-greuel.htm

Accomplish something for the better, quit wasting time or angry Americans will vote the Democrats out. This is what I see leading into November.

The Democrats brought this upon themselves (And I'm left-wing).
Whoa. That's good to hear.

Anyway, no, I really don't think there is a Republican bandwagon. I think they may gain a bit of popularity, but I don't think people will switch sides en masse.

ForeverFlame

That's just American politics for you. The current president is the target, and everything that goes wrong or doesn't go right is instantly stacked against them.

Eventually the Democrats will be voted out, the Republicans will come back in, and then the Republicans will be the target again.

The only advantage Democrats have is the increasing Liberalism in America. But they need to stop pandering to Republicans and Conservatives and focus on their own base.

BigLutz

Banned
The only advantage Democrats have is the increasing Liberalism in America. But they need to stop pandering to Republicans and Conservatives and focus on their own base.

Except that kind of ignorance is what got them into trouble in the first place, increased spending, and focusing on liberal programs such as Universal Health Care focused the American public on Fiscal Conservatism like a laser, and gave birth to the Tea Party movement.

Goruggo

Except that kind of ignorance is what got them into trouble in the first place, increased spending, and focusing on liberal programs such as Universal Health Care focused the American public on Fiscal Conservatism like a laser, and gave birth to the Tea Party movement.

I can't blame them considering some of the things the stimulus is going to.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/08/03/eveningnews/main6740768.shtml

A new report from Republican senators Tom Coburn and John McCain says too much of the $862 billion in stimulus money is being spent with dubious results: $700,000 for a researcher to study improvised music. For a project on interactive dance, 44 percent of the money goes to "overhead."

So nearly a million to study improvised music.

The $1.9 million spent to photograph ants in foreign countries has created two jobs created so far. That's better than other ant research stimulus projects: $451,000 has created one job, $276,000 spent on another created six one-hundredths of a job, and the $800,000 spent on a different one created no jobs.

So American ants aren't good enough? Plus a whopping two jobs!

The $144,000 spent to study the behavior of monkeys on cocaine created four-tenths of a job.

So have we moved from rats to monkeys now? Besides, don't we all know what cocaine does to someone?

Aquanova

This is what is happening: Obama promised a bunch of stuff when he was running that he wasnt going to do, everybody that runs for office does this. Obama is elected and things dont change when he snaps his fingers. People are frustrated over the economy and the Healthcare Reform laww, bailouts and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Then these " Tea Party" republicans start showing up demanding change, and say they can make it better. This happens all the time its a never ending cycle. The Tea Party people will get elected, make the country mad with all the stuff they mess up, and they'll get voted out.

The second a president gets into office, he cannot accomplish anything. That takes time. People have no patience. The people then vote in the other party as a majority in the House and the Senate. Then the president can no longer get anything done. They become a lame duck. People ask why they do nothing, get angry, and elect a president from the other party.

And so it goes on.

EDIT: And the Tax Tea Party people chose an awful name. The Boston Tea Party was criminal. The British were going to sell cheap tea to the Americans, and our founding fathers (who smuggled in tons of ****) didn't want people to buy the inexpensive high quality British tea and ruin the boycott. So they comissioned the Sons of Liberty to throw it overboard so they could continue selling their smuggled tea. And achieve something with the boycott, I guess.

Last edited:

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
This is what is happening: Obama promised a bunch of stuff when he was running that he wasnt going to do, everybody that runs for office does this. Obama is elected and things dont change when he snaps his fingers. People are frustrated over the economy and the Healthcare Reform laww, bailouts and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Then these " Tea Party" republicans start showing up demanding change, and say they can make it better. This happens all the time its a never ending cycle. The Tea Party people will get elected, make the country mad with all the stuff they mess up, and they'll get voted out.

It bums me out though, because after a few presidents we need a real lift up and Obama really had good ideas, but when you have to send everything through congress where a good portion of them don't like you, and you have to deal with all this crap the previous administration did and a clogged up congress, it is really tough for him and he is only half way through his term.

Anyone can have good ideas or say good things, but it's the delivery that counts.
And he is NOT delivering.

And he has a democratic majority. Get learned.

iamUNOWN

Pokemon Breeder
no point denying it, he was elected because he is colored, when he was being elected i asked people why do they think he should be president? they said "because of what he believes in" what does he believe in? "he believes in change" what is change? "shut up! he believes in change and stuff" interesting having a conversation with the people who couldnt figure out that you cant tax the rich people more, all it does is make the poor people get less, seeing as how the rich hire and pay the poor so if the rich loses money so are the poor because it prevents the rich from hiring more people and can also lower there pay
"i use the word poor because i dont know another word to say, not actually saying they are poor, just average citizens that are not rich"

BigLutz

Banned
It bums me out though, because after a few presidents we need a real lift up and Obama really had good ideas, but when you have to send everything through congress where a good portion of them don't like you, and you have to deal with all this crap the previous administration did and a clogged up congress, it is really tough for him and he is only half way through his term.

Well for one Congress had a super majority of Democrats, the reason it was clogged up was because he took a hands off approach and the bills got so radical that even Democrats couldn't stomach it. As for the previous administration, he knew what he was getting into, he went for the job, the problem is he didn't deal with the problems, he thought the Stimulus would fix it, it didn't, it failed, and as such the economy sank. Our current problems are not because of the previous administration, it is because he decided to take a year and not focus on the economy, and when he does decide to focus on it, he decides the answer has to be to tax the rich.

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Of course people's attitudes change when something starts to go wrong- it's just taken much longer for people to realize that something's rotten in the state of Denmark during Obama's presidency.

Yeah, I said it.

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Of course people's attitudes change when something starts to go wrong- it's just taken much longer for people to realize that something's rotten in the state of Denmark during Obama's presidency.

Yeah, I said it.

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
He did have a super majority but now he doesn't, he is just barely clinging to majority, and the Democrats on Congress won't just blindly follow him like the Republicans are seemingly doing against him. But what sucks is that when something bad happens we just seem to attack the president instead of the other branches of government that could be more responsible ig the Senate, House, or the State.