• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Republican Bandwagon

Well, no. That's where the intent would come in. I'm not saying only homosexuals should be favored (although I personally think that they naturally would be due to the nature of society).

That's kinda the answer I was looking for. Look, the way I see it, if you can prove (key word there) that someone killed someone purely because of their race, sexual orientation, etc., then that would technically make the crime a premeditated one, which are already weighed differently than other crimes. So why overcomplicate things by trying to judge whether or not the crime was a "hate crime"'or not?

penguinofhonor

Bay Watcher
Well lets get something straight ALL murder makes the local community live in fear, no matter if it was done out of hatred for a person's race or because they didn't like what kind of car they drove.

No, not in anywhere near the same way. When some straight guy gets killed in my city, it doesn't tell me that there are people who will kill me if I hold hands with my girlfriend. Hate crimes exist because the societal oppression against marginalized groups leaves them vulnerable to it. It's not anything like if someone doesn't like you because they don't like your car.

Hate crimes are tantamount to threats of death and violence against entire communities. If you believe threats of death and violence are not punishable by law, we can agree to disagree.

BigLutz

Banned
No, not in anywhere near the same way. When some straight guy gets killed in my city, it doesn't tell me that there are people who will kill me if I hold hands with my girlfriend. Hate crimes exist because the societal oppression against marginalized groups leaves them vulnerable to it. It's not anything like if someone doesn't like you because they don't like your car.

No if some straight guy gets killed out there in the city or possibly just down the street from you it means that there is a killer out there who has already been killed and thus you need to be on the look out because he could come after you next. Again a murder effects EVERYONE.

Hate crimes are tantamount to threats of death and violence against entire communities. If you believe threats of death and violence are not punishable by law, we can agree to disagree.

If the threat of death and violence is made against you specifically you can get a restraining order against the person. That being said as has been said already in this thread racism in and of itself is not punishable by law. If the KKK holds a clan rally, the black community cannot have them all arrested and put in jail even though the rally exists in and of itself to be a threat of violence against the black community.

Ethan

Banned
No if some straight guy gets killed out there in the city or possibly just down the street from you it means that there is a killer out there who has already been killed and thus you need to be on the look out because he could come after you next. Again a murder effects EVERYONE.

Yes, that's true, murder effects everyone in different ways. You're right in your earlier post that if both crimes are the same act, then they should recieve equal justice. Where I and others would disagree with you is that why you kill someone does matter in the amount of damage it does to a community. Take for example a woman that murdered her husband for life insurance money. Does she deserve jail time? Well ofcourse. Does anyone else in the community really need to fear her? I would say no. It was one person, for a very specific reason, and a very specific situation.

The other man, that murdered someone for being gay however, I would say causes more damage. Since its done out of hate, an entire minority feels fear and pressure. It's much more psychologically damaging. If all murders produced the exact same amount of damage, (which seems to be your opinion correct me if I'm mistaken) you would see bills going through the senate titled the "Don't kill your husband for life insurance act." Sure, incidents like those are painful, but they obviously don't cause as much of an uproar in the community as when you take someones life for who they are.

So I agree with you. All murder hurts everyone. Where I agree to disagree with you, and I believe the facts support me on this, is that hate crimes in particular cause more damage even if the raw actions are the same.

Last edited:

BigLutz

Banned
Yes, that's true, murder effects everyone in different ways. You're right in your earlier post that if both crimes are the same act, then they should recieve equal justice. Where I and others would disagree with you is that why you kill someone does matter in the amount of damage it does to a community. Take for example a woman that murdered her husband for life insurance money. Does she deserve jail time? Well ofcourse. Does anyone else in the community really need to fear her? I would say no. It was one person, for a very specific reason, and a very specific situation.

The other man, that murdered someone for being gay however, I would say causes more damage. Since its done out of hate, an entire minority feels fear and pressure. It's much more psychologically damaging. If all murders produced the exact same amount of damage, (which seems to be your opinion correct me if I'm mistaken) you would see bills going through the senate titled the "Don't kill your husband for life insurance act." Sure, incidents like those are painful, but they obviously don't cause as much of an uproar in the community as when you take someones life for who they are.

So I agree with you. All murder hurts everyone. Where I agree to disagree with you, and I believe the facts support me on this, is that hate crimes in particular cause more damage even if the raw actions are the same.

Edit: And on second thought, the life insurance argument does provide fear. Mind you this entire inanine argument is based on the belief that gays will not fear that certain man who has murdered, but fear other people who take up his actions. Yet as I said no murder is made out of love. If a woman kills her husband for life insurance money, but is caught and sentenced, just as the murderer for the gay man. Shouldn't the very thought that a wife killed her husband for money cause husbands to start to fear their wives? That, their own wife could be planning the same thing? You have injected fear into the situation for a copy cat action, just as you have injected fear into the situation for a gay man being killed for being gay.

Will there ever be a "Dont kill your husband for life insurance act"? No, because murder is murder, and the punishment for that should be the same as killing anyone else. That and the Democrats do not have a very large and vocal "Husband" constitutancy that they have to suck up to when playing identity politics.

Last edited: