• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Reputation is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about the possibility of not having neg reps as well, but I don't think it's a good idea. There is such a thing as a reasonable neg rep, and that could help users determine which users are more troublesome.
How are we going to moderate and control how rep is given? Negative rep can be reasonable, but I almost never get any like that. I have a few that I cannot deny, but I think most people would agree that the neg reps they get are generally lacking in the logic dept.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
How are we going to moderate and control how rep is given? Negative rep can be reasonable, but I almost never get any like that. I have a few that I cannot deny, but I think most people would agree that the neg reps they get are generally lacking in the logic dept.

I agree. I once got neg rep for not wanting to use a expert belt latois, I mean come on! If we just have pos rep, then it will be much better.I only gave neg rep when someone just put something unhelpful and rude in RMT. That is fair. Doing it for opinions sake is not.I have never seen the point on net rep since it just leads to people negging over nothing, so if we vote for rep, I will vote disable. And don't tell me to turn rep off, it just makes it unpuplic. I can still get rep.

After thinking about it for a while, I think it would be best if they simply removed the ability to give negative reputation, and only allowed positive reputation to be given (Which is the main reason why most people want the system).

The way I see it, nothing good is going to come from people being able to give negative reputation with how flimsy the reasoning behind it is often shaping up to be.

Agreed, I keep getting negative reps and I know exactly who it is giving them to me. (>.>) I got one for being excited for a lab episode in the anime. (-_-)

You know, if you're getting annoyed by lots of pointless negative reps, you can always just hide your rep points and ignore it. No members will be able to see your rep, so they can't think less of you even if you have lots of negatives. Mods can see it, but they'll probably understand if they see that your rep is low because of someone else's rep abuse, and so they won't think less of you either (the staff here aren't bad people, lol). At that point, pointless negative reps will only hurt you own pride, in which case you should just suck it up and remind yourself that some people just like to abuse the system and it's no fault of your own.

Vernikova

Champion
At that point, pointless negative reps will only hurt you own pride, in which case you should just suck it up

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down there. You mean people shouldn't care about e-points and negs? That's a little too radical for these sppf members. :snowlax:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down there. You mean people shouldn't care about e-points and negs? That's a little too radical for these sppf members. :snowlax:
I'm glad we have the rep system because people like you who so cheerfully judge and demean others will be judged in return. Nearly everything you say is negative; why not contribute rather than run down everyone who thinks the system could use some revision or additional rules? Seriously, give feedback to the system rather than its detractors.

Wasn't on Serebii back then, but I can now see how rep could have been abused.

Vernikova

Champion
Nearly everything you say is negative;

Correction: nearly everything you see me say is negative. I'll make a long post just for you cool kid. :snowlax:

tl;dr: Seriously, they're e-points. Disable your rep and collapse the box where you see your rep. If anything, the mods should just get rid of the notification thing. No idea why someone would implement that.

Already shared my thoughts in GCT when it first came out. I'm against the reputation system since it adds nothing of value for the most part. Also the reason why I've disabled it and ad-blocked the bars. It usually just causes people to complain because they get their feelings hurt over what anonymous people online think about their opinion (aka this thread). There's really nothing much you can do to fix it. Just roll with it.

You can try to take away negs but at this point most people will stay on the default rank for so long due the weak amount of rep people give. I think the formula is "([current rep]/100) + 1" meaning that most people will actually be on the first two ranks for such a long time there really would be no point since everyone would be the same rank. The only members that'll move up rather quickly would be the staff. Sure they probably get negged more often, but it probably gets canceled out with the pozzes they get. Actually, I haven't seen any member outside of staff get past "On the road to Viridian" to be honest. You'd need 40 people to like your posts while taking into account that the individual would have to rep 40 other people or something. Don't know anyone who'd actually get around to repping 40 people unless they're lurking a bunch of boards. Also doesn't take into account that the negs they'll get. Even then you'll go up from a rep power of "1" all the way to "2." Ooooh, such power.

That's actually a problem with sppf's rep system: you don't get anywhere. You're all the same rank and since no regular member can see your points, there's nothing to judge you by. "Oh look, you're at the default rank! Just like everyone else . . . ." "Here, I'll rep you one point. There, only 89 more reps until you can rep a newb from 10 all of the way to 12!" "Join date and post count don't matter guys so even if you're a great poster who gets to 100 points, you'll only be able to give one more rep point than the guy who has 11!"

Of course, this doesn't take into account that you're judging via rep in the first place. It's inherently flawed. Proof? How about this thread? Or you an read below.

You guys seem to think that rep is for constructive criticism, but it's not. In theory it is, but in practice it's not going to. If you think so then you have been to many sites with the reputation system. Like I've said, it's basically just a way to poz posts you like and neg posts you don't. I'll just use my own for example:

FireShotScreenCapture074-Settings-Serebii_NetForums-www_serebiiforums_com_usercp_php_zps9f3b13b6.png

One left a vague comment that I don't know what that means in context. The other guy who left a comment wasted their time. The rest I receive make no comment that's "constructive." They either don't say anything or say "you rock!" Why? Because it's a "like/dislike" option with the ability to write a quick Tweet. I probably didn't need to post this anyway. From the looks of it, you've learned that anyway.

Anyone who posts what they want and has been on the internet for a while probably doesn't care if people don't like their post. If worst comes to worst, they can just hide their rep and be done with it. You're critique that accompanied the neg they got? They don't care. Otherwise they would've shaped up. At the end of the day, they're e-points that mean nothing especially since you can hide it. Anyone who realizes this won't care for the pozzes or negs they get.

"Haha Verny, you're negative all the time so here comes my neg!" *I lose one point (or maybe even two!)* "Oh no, now people still won't know my rep since I disabled it on the first day so if I just stop caring about what others think about my posts I'll get through this! . . . Never cared."

See how silly that is? And that's just sppf's system. Rep is a silly feature that's outdated and never gets used like people want them to get used. If it sticks around then suck it up and stop caring what random people think about your opinions. If you don't make **** posts then you'll get the point you lost back quickly. If you do, well, you probably don't care anyway. If you post in a section where you'll be judged (aka all 5 of you that still post in the used-to-be-active-but-now-a-carcass-due-to-thread-approval-system known as debate forum) then you should already be used to it.

In short:
  • Rep is meaningless
  • Sppf's rep system sucks
  • If you're judging other members based off of their rep points, there's something wrong with you. everyone knows rep is just a number and no one with sense judges by it
  • Stop caring about the opinion of an anonymous poster
  • It's a like/dislike system that people want you to think is a critique system but it's not (seriously you guys know it's not so stop pretending it is. you guys are getting non-constructive pozzes and negs right? right)
  • You didn't have to be here when sppf had rep to see its potential flaws, join a big forum with rep and you'll see the flaws right away
  • The only thing rep is good for is to get people complaining about it
  • Neg me I don't care. why? because I know that the rep system is a joke system. the sooner you get that, the sooner you don't get mad at the nonconstructive negs you get and the sooner this thread doesn't turn into what it is right now: people complaining about getting their feelings hurt (oh hey, I covered that in the first paragraph "It usually just causes people to complain because they get their feelings hurt over what anonymous people online think about their opinion.")

Constructive enough, sppf-ers?

Ammako

ad-blocked the bars

Terrific idea! Now we just need to figure out a way to hide the rep button + the link.

This sounds just like the upvote/downvote feature on Reddit; People downvote you out of pure ignorance on Reddit and people neg rep you out of pure ignorance on here.
At least the rep feature doesn't hide your posts when you get too much neg rep.

Last edited:

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
Thank you, Vernikova! That is the most helpful, well thought out, logical statement that anyone on this thread has made, and if you had rep on, I would pos you, but since you don't, here's a pat on the back!

Guys, please read everything that Vernikova has said, it sums up pretty much everything that I think about the rep system, and, as you can see by his/her post, Vernikova is much more fluent than I am when it comes to giving opinions.

Once again, thank you, Vern!

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
So who should I contact in terms of reptutation issues?

Once again today I got two negative reps for no reason, first the guys says I'm being rude to him, when that isn't my intention, I explain I'm not and I get another downvote...are we 10y olds or what? reputation isn't for people to joke around.

Kreis

Still Dirrty
The OP covers everything.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
So who should I contact in terms of reptutation issues?

Once again today I got two negative reps for no reason, first the guys says I'm being rude to him, when that isn't my intention, I explain I'm not and I get another downvote...are we 10y olds or what? reputation isn't for people to joke around.

Best option to PM the Staff in the section you're using. The staff Can see your Rep and who from, but Only Admins can do the actual work. If the offence is needs action Mods can tell Admins to sort it out, however the admins won't need to do that much work.

10charlimit

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Correction: nearly everything you see me say is negative. I'll make a long post just for you cool kid. :snowlax:

tl;dr: Seriously, they're e-points. Disable your rep and collapse the box where you see your rep. If anything, the mods should just get rid of the notification thing. No idea why someone would implement that.

Already shared my thoughts in GCT when it first came out. I'm against the reputation system since it adds nothing of value for the most part. Also the reason why I've disabled it and ad-blocked the bars. It usually just causes people to complain because they get their feelings hurt over what anonymous people online think about their opinion (aka this thread). There's really nothing much you can do to fix it. Just roll with it.

You can try to take away negs but at this point most people will stay on the default rank for so long due the weak amount of rep people give. I think the formula is "([current rep]/100) + 1" meaning that most people will actually be on the first two ranks for such a long time there really would be no point since everyone would be the same rank. The only members that'll move up rather quickly would be the staff. Sure they probably get negged more often, but it probably gets canceled out with the pozzes they get. Actually, I haven't seen any member outside of staff get past "On the road to Viridian" to be honest. You'd need 40 people to like your posts while taking into account that the individual would have to rep 40 other people or something. Don't know anyone who'd actually get around to repping 40 people unless they're lurking a bunch of boards. Also doesn't take into account that the negs they'll get. Even then you'll go up from a rep power of "1" all the way to "2." Ooooh, such power.

That's actually a problem with sppf's rep system: you don't get anywhere. You're all the same rank and since no regular member can see your points, there's nothing to judge you by. "Oh look, you're at the default rank! Just like everyone else . . . ." "Here, I'll rep you one point. There, only 89 more reps until you can rep a newb from 10 all of the way to 12!" "Join date and post count don't matter guys so even if you're a great poster who gets to 100 points, you'll only be able to give one more rep point than the guy who has 11!"

Of course, this doesn't take into account that you're judging via rep in the first place. It's inherently flawed. Proof? How about this thread? Or you an read below.

You guys seem to think that rep is for constructive criticism, but it's not. In theory it is, but in practice it's not going to. If you think so then you have been to many sites with the reputation system. Like I've said, it's basically just a way to poz posts you like and neg posts you don't. I'll just use my own for example:

FireShotScreenCapture074-Settings-Serebii_NetForums-www_serebiiforums_com_usercp_php_zps9f3b13b6.png

One left a vague comment that I don't know what that means in context. The other guy who left a comment wasted their time. The rest I receive make no comment that's "constructive." They either don't say anything or say "you rock!" Why? Because it's a "like/dislike" option with the ability to write a quick Tweet. I probably didn't need to post this anyway. From the looks of it, you've learned that anyway.

Anyone who posts what they want and has been on the internet for a while probably doesn't care if people don't like their post. If worst comes to worst, they can just hide their rep and be done with it. You're critique that accompanied the neg they got? They don't care. Otherwise they would've shaped up. At the end of the day, they're e-points that mean nothing especially since you can hide it. Anyone who realizes this won't care for the pozzes or negs they get.

"Haha Verny, you're negative all the time so here comes my neg!" *I lose one point (or maybe even two!)* "Oh no, now people still won't know my rep since I disabled it on the first day so if I just stop caring about what others think about my posts I'll get through this! . . . Never cared."

See how silly that is? And that's just sppf's system. Rep is a silly feature that's outdated and never gets used like people want them to get used. If it sticks around then suck it up and stop caring what random people think about your opinions. If you don't make **** posts then you'll get the point you lost back quickly. If you do, well, you probably don't care anyway. If you post in a section where you'll be judged (aka all 5 of you that still post in the used-to-be-active-but-now-a-carcass-due-to-thread-approval-system known as debate forum) then you should already be used to it.

In short:
  • Rep is meaningless
  • If you're judging other members based off of their rep points, there's something wrong with you. everyone knows rep is just a number and no one with sense judges by it
  • It's a like/dislike system that people want you to think is a critique system but it's not (seriously you guys know it's not so stop pretending it is. you guys are getting non-constructive pozzes and negs right? right)
  • You didn't have to be here when sppf had rep to see its potential flaws, join a big forum with rep and you'll see the flaws right away
  • Neg me I don't care. why? because I know that the rep system is a joke system. the sooner you get that, the sooner you don't get mad at the nonconstructive negs you get and the sooner this thread doesn't turn into what it is right now: people complaining about getting their feelings hurt (oh hey, I covered that in the first paragraph "It usually just causes people to complain because they get their feelings hurt over what anonymous people online think about their opinion.")

Gonna agree with Vernikova on a few points. As you can see, just by looking at our reps, the results aren't much different. Normally the purpose of the rep system is basically to give feedback on the post in question but as you can see my last five reps didn't even leave a comment. This really isn't a problem in itself, but if most people aren't going to leave feedback, the comment part of system seems kind of pointless. Getting negged for a post but not having it addressed in a thread is also kinda irritating. It's like saying "Hey, I don't agree with your post but I wont argue it.", that's kind of the point of a discussion board.
[IMG139]http://i40.*******.com/9k4j2t.png[/IMG139]

From my time here back in 04-05 the boards were a lot more active even though there were less members. That kinda offset the number of pos it took you lvl up. Since the boards aren't as active as they use to be, not much rep is going around since it's like, the same 30 people posting in the sections bar Pokémon related ones. And the ones in the Pokemon sections are either new users that don't know about the system, kids that can't take different views or the odd veteran. I know it's a trial atm but I don't think you can get a accurate depiction of rep distribution with the current number so high and the amount of posters in each section. The people that know are put off by the fact that you need at least 100 pos to even get the second block. I wouldn't put in the effort knowing the same most likely wouldn't be done for me.

I personally think that the number should be lowered for the rest of the trial to give a more accurate view. As said, if everyone is going to stay at the same lvl bar Joe and the odd mod, what's the point in giving them out in the first place. Some VB4 forums have what is basically a thumbs up/down rep type system. I think more people would use something like that since it's quicker and easier. After a quick look at some of the active posters, the only ones that aren't still on "Road to Viridian City" are Ellie, Kreis and Kirby. In fact, BCVM22 who makes some of the most information filled posts on the forum is still "On the road to Viridian City", so I don't think most other users really stand a chance. I know it isn't a contest but yeah.

In short, I think the number to level up should be change to a lower number, and the amount of people to rep before you can rep the same person again be lowered. Maybe the system could be changed to thumbs up/down kind to make it easier for people to just rep a post and keep it moving. Either, or make it mandatory to state why you liked their post, though that might put off some people.

I'm sure if the latter can be done without a hack though.

Ammako

[IMG139]http://i40.*******.com/9k4j2t.png[/IMG139]

That rep in the middle, I got almost the exact same one.
Can't they just kindly PM us that we were off-topic or something? For all they know I could have had several tabs opened and accidentally posted in the wrong thread (which is what happened.)

In short:
  • Rep is meaningless

Yay, a contribution!

Oddly enough, I agree with most of what you say. I feel you contradict your words with your demeanor, but that makes no real difference. Point by point, I want to address these criticisms.

- Rep isn't truly meaningless. Personal attacks are going to have an effect on people, because that's how people are. That said, you can choose not to give it meaning...
- Yeah.
- Yeah...
- Hmm... This is a "right, but..." kind of situation. It's easy to say not to care, easy to act like you don't care, but not so easy to really not care. It's annoying, otherwise people wouldn't be posting about it.
- Exactly right. The system cannot be viably implemented as a critique system when you are given free range of will on the comment portion.
- You only have to have a brain to see potential flaws, but other forums help too.
- That, and starting fights that branch from given rep.
- Good for you. I tend to take criticism and work it into a response with the aim of coming to an agreeable middle ground. It annoys the hell out of me, and I'm not an idiot because I feel this way. Like both you and I have said, complaints are going to happen inevitably in this system, and the reason is because you can't respond to negative feedback. That's annoying. I'm not emotionally scarred, nor are most other people, I would assume, but annoyed. If you aren't, good for you. Demeaning others who are annoyed makes you another internet anon that you would ignore if you were me. Some, I definitely do, but it's because I can look at both sides and see no compromise. You can't do that with rep.

Vernikova

Champion
- Rep isn't truly meaningless.

Yes, it is.

Personal attacks are going to have an effect on people, because that's how people are. That said, you can choose not to give it meaning...

Collapse the box. Don't read it (or read it). Get up and walk away from your computer.

- Hmm... This is a "right, but..." kind of situation. It's easy to say not to care, easy to act like you don't care, but not so easy to really not care. It's annoying, otherwise people wouldn't be posting about it.

Read above.

I'm not emotionally scarred, nor are most other people, I would assume, but annoyed

You can get annoyed for a bit. No need to complain though. Just collapse the box and follow the steps above.

Last post in this thread for me. Don't really care what happens to the rep system.

Yes, it is.
OH YOU GOT ME MY GOD HOW WILL I REFUTE THAT.

wait...

Collapse the box. Don't read it (or read it). Get up and walk away from your computer.
You still get the notification prompting you to read it. Never tried collapsing the box, but I would assume it still links you to the comment.

Read above.
OH YOU GOT M- hold on, hasn't this happened once before?

You can get annoyed for a bit. No need to complain though. Just collapse the box and follow the steps above.
Kind of sucks that that's the best fix. Oh well, if it's the best we can do, it's the best we can do.

HoennMaster

Didn't care for the reintroduction, but now I'm against it, or at least negative. Negative feedback because you don't agree with an opinion? That's just trivial and childish really.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
i've been too busy to be reading this thread much and don't have tme at this very moment to respond to all of the complaints

however i will say as for people complaining about it taking too long to rank up.. that is the point. you're not supposed to suddenly get 10 squares in a week. you're supposed to build rep slowly overtime. the system has been implemented for under a month, there shouldn't be many people with a high score at this time. that's why we originally had postcount and join date effecting rep power, but we removed it because with everyone starting with just 10 right now it would be too low (the average rep-giving power for people whose rep i had to manually change from 2005 was around 20, i had 25, that is far too much influence when you consider everyone is starting at just 10). our limits and such are meant to encourage people to use the system, and if the system sticks around for, say, 6 months to a year, you will start to see more good posters with multiple squares and bad posters with a red square or more if they're really awful.

and for negs in general, yes, there are some abusive ones, and we are going to work on making the guideline for what is abusive and what isn't more clear. but i have gotten a LOT of rep reports since this has started, and many of them are not abusive. also, not everything has to be a debate. the point is for someone to leave a message on what they think of your post. if you don't like what they have to say you don't have to start a debate back and forth with them. you use the feedback you are getting to either continue things people like, or discontinue things people don't like. one or two bad reps (provided they aren't flaming/whatever) shouldn't matter in the long run if you are getting many positive reps. but if you are getting more negatives than positives about a certain posting habit, maybe you should look at that and consider changing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.