• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Reputation is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ysmr97

By that logic VH,, the "most reputable" users(via more accumulated time on the site and casual friends assimilated into their profile, ready to back up/defend their choices mindlessly) can abuse the system to bully the"less reputable"(in reality, users they don't like for personal, non-objective reasons) newcomers off the site via using their overinflated, long-accumulated "good reputation" to enforce their clique-based, high school-esque biased opinions on those w/o 200 friends to back them up.

This system is in favor of the admins and site owner, in addition to long-time and/or"popular" users. I think being able to turn off visible reputation isn't enough, because it doesn't cover the emotional damage from bad reputation points viewed in private.

This system needs to go, because there should be no cliques on the internet.

That is so true. Thank you so much for being the person who puts it to words so beatifully and truthfully. Please, get this terrible system out of here

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
No one gave you nine points. No one even has the power to give or take that many yet. You got one taken away and nine is the total you have now.

Everyone needs to READ THE FIRST POST before replying and stop complaining about specific reps here. If you have actually been abused with the system than pm a staff member but remember rep is to give feedback, and not all negs are abuse.

Thanxorus for explaining this to these rep haters.
When you get a negative rep, it means someone strongly disagrees with your post, or is finding a possible but minor rule-break in it.
I've gotten negative reps, and I look back to see what I did wrong, not complain about it!

lokowoko

PokeBreeder
the reputation system isn't always reliable as you get some people who try to spam bad rep or get friends to give bad rep, just my opinion, leave your opinions down here =D

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
I'm just curious, (and sorry if I missed this) but say I got a negative Rep for having the opposite view in a 2-sided debate in the debate section, would that be allowed? The only reason I ask is because I got one, and I don't want to report it but I will if I get a bunch more. Idk, its up to you guys.

This is very interesting. And I don't think it's going to be a popularity contest...
If people don't agree with your post... they have the right to do so... anonymously. That we you don't go badgering them as to why they gave you bad rep.
It is also a good way to structure and thinking about what you post... of course, you don't have to care about if you get a bad rep or not.

lokowoko

PokeBreeder
of course, you don't have to care about if you get a bad rep or not.

depends if people can view your rep and if it's negative some people will avoid said negative rep person which could be unfair if the person got negative for having a different opinion on things, plus it could hinder their chances of trading with people, ect....

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
depends if people can view your rep and if it's negative some people will avoid said negative rep person which could be unfair if the person got negative for having a different opinion on things, plus it could hinder their chances of trading with people, ect....

you know that you are the only one that can see your reps response right? as well as the mods...if the rep is that bad you can just report to a mod that simple...im not sure why people are still complaining :/ and i have to repeat this as well as the mods above are as well...how that effect trading etc? I don't get it? no one would know why your rep is bad cause they can't see it...as well as how many reps you have negative or positive...only you can see it

Last edited:

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
you know that you are the only one that can see your reps response right? as well as the mods...if the rep is that bad you can just report to a mod that simple...im not sure why people are still complaining :/ and i have to repeat this as well as the mods above are as well...how that effect trading etc? I don't get it? no one would know why your rep is bad cause they can't see it...as well as how many reps you have negative or positive...only you can see it

Well seeing this I was thinking.... if you get enough negative reps, doesn't your green card turn red? Thus making it seem like you are probably a bad trader? ;^;

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
By that logic VH,, the "most reputable" users(via more accumulated time on the site and casual friends assimilated into their profile, ready to back up/defend their choices mindlessly) can abuse the system to bully the"less reputable"(in reality, users they don't like for personal, non-objective reasons) newcomers off the site via using their overinflated, long-accumulated "good reputation" to enforce their clique-based, high school-esque biased opinions on those w/o 200 friends to back them up.

This system is in favor of the admins and site owner, in addition to long-time and/or"popular" users. I think being able to turn off visible reputation isn't enough, because it doesn't cover the emotional damage from bad reputation points viewed in private.

This system needs to go, because there should be no cliques on the internet.

You my friend are an hero, this little hype is only favored by MODS and people who have tons of (fake) friends, who will most likely make use of this hype without doing anything.
But hey that's what serebii is like, Mods can change their Avi's regular members don't, As if they are better than others. It's always the same case here.

Anyway, you summerized it all great job.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
Wow, so much negativity in this thread. Is there like a conspiracy of mods against us regular users?

Either way, I'd prefer if we had 'likes' instead of this, but this looks just fine - hopefully it turns out well.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I don't... understand this at all, so it will probably not bother me

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
This is a surprise to me, I didn't know Serebii Forums had a rep system. Let's see how it goes.

Kirby

ʘ‿ʘ
Staff member
Admin
Mods can change their Avi's regular members don't, As if they are better than others. It's always the same case here.

Are you freaking kidding me? You do realize none of the (regular, non forum owning) staff members here have any say in members getting custom avatars, right? That is 100% up to Serebii. I can assure you that if I had my way, members would get custom avatars. I know a majority of the other staff members here wouldn't care either. Next time you start shouting out accusations about the staff here you should make sure they're actually correct.

Also to the rest of you whining about it, turn it off. With all the whining in this topic I never would have guessed that a solution would be that simple!

Last edited:

Schade

Metallic Wonder
So.. you can turn that weird thingy off? Have I just missed reading it or something?
But he does have a point. I can imagine this thingy being used as some sort of meassuring popularity or something.
I dunno.. I won't stir up an arguement because of that.

Last edited:

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Well seeing this I was thinking.... if you get enough negative reps, doesn't your green card turn red? Thus making it seem like you are probably a bad trader? ;^;

how can that contribute to a bad trader that wouldn't make since that red light could mean anything not necessarily a bad trader...you wouldn't know what that person got those negative reps for tbh...that doesn't make sense...like i said though mods are here to do there job if you have enough bad reps that don't seem fair that simple report and if you don't like it just turn it off...

edit: yes kanima you can turn off your rep light so no one can see it and you will not get updates on it...its under your profile settings...

Last edited:

Kirby

ʘ‿ʘ
Staff member
Admin
So.. you can turn that weird thingy off? Have I just missed reading it or something?
But he does have a point. I can imagine this thingy being used as some sort of meassuring popularity or something.
I dunno.. I won't stir up an arguement because of that.

Don't like it? Turn it off.
If you wish to not participate in using rep, everyone has the option to turn off the display of your own reputation. Just look around in your user settings. You can still get rep, but your rep icon will be replaced with a single grey square and no one can see what your true amount of rep points are.

Reading the first post would be incredibly helpful for some of you guys lol

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
how can that contribute to a bad trader that wouldn't make since that red light could mean anything not necessarily a bad trader...you wouldn't know what that person got those negative reps for tbh...that doesn't make sense...like i said though mods are here to do there job if you have enough bad reps that don't seem fair that simple report and if you don't like it just turn it off...

edit: yes kanima you can turn off your rep light so no one can see it and you will not get updates on it...its under your profile settings...

Well, I am guessing it would pretty much depend on what you "specialize" on this forums. Ex: Debate, Trades, etc.
It would, of course make sense to newbies that probably won't read rules and assume otherwise about rep.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Well, I am guessing it would pretty much depend on what you "specialize" on this forums. Ex: Debate, Trades, etc.
It would, of course make sense to newbies that probably won't read rules and assume otherwise about rep.

If your really had a bad rep that wasn't appropriate then it can be reported which mostly going to the debate forums and a few other places....Personally I have no problems with the rep system If someone would like to troll, and flam me Im ready to report but like i said we all can turn it off its right on the front post like you said newbies would not read the front rules...

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
If your really had a bad rep that wasn't appropriate then it can be reported which mostly going to the debate forums and a few other places....Personally I have no problems with the rep system If someone would like to troll, and flam me Im ready to report but like i said we all can turn it off its right on the front post like you said newbies would not read the front rules...

Not saying its inappropriate.

Let me break it down for you like this: say there is this user who has been here for a while, and he/she doesn't really care about the rep he/she has since they know its useless. While here on these forums, replying to whatever subforum he is in, he slowly goes on to have a bad rep, thus turning it into a red card.

Suddenly he/she wants to trade. Pms some user he/she sees on the trade thread and offers. He/she awaits. They really mean to give an honest trade, but suddenly the other user doesn't want to trade.

Now comes the misunderstanding. The other user thought the red card meant untrustworthy to trade. Even more if the user has a lot of red cards.

This would be avoided if the other user would read the rules, or if said trader turned off the rep.

Be open minded and have a perspective on how other users think. Some might know of the rep system mostly because it has been for a while on other forums, some might just not bother with the rules and go on their merry way to the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.