1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Requiem: A Tragedy One-Shot Contest!

Discussion in 'The Authors' Café' started by Draco Malfoy, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Draco Malfoy

Draco Malfoy -REaction

Requiem: A Tragedy One-Shot Contest

Approved and Reopened by Dragonfree and Psychic

Welcome to Requiem: A Tragedy One Shot Contest! Title credit goes to Saffire Persian! Although this contest was temporarily closed due to a misunderstanding and an unexpected outburst from an individual, we're open again for business! Anyway, most obviously, this is indeed a contest to write a tragedy one shot! And it is led and organised by none another than your local crack-induced Australian writer*pretends to be smug*, masterwannabe! This contest was inspired by Laughingstock, a Comedy One Shot Contest, Roses and Chocolates, a Romance One Shot contest, and the Trial of Terror, a Horror One Shot contest. But we all know that the horror genre is too gory and comedy is too crack-induced. Even for my liking.So far, we had a contest for Comedy, Horror, Romance, Legendaries-exclusive, and Battles! But now it's time for Tragedy! Enough of my ramblings though, now to the contest!

There are four judges to this contest. (Well duh. What did you expect?):

Judges:

Katiekitten
    Masterwannabe (Main Organiser)
    Saffire Persian
    Sike Saner

This contest consists of three parts:

1.) Submit your Tragedy One Shot before the deadline
    2.) Wait patiently for the Judges to review and rank the entrants
    3.) Read the results and rejoice! (or weep!)

Now, of course there are Guidelines and Rules. We do expect some degree of good writing in the one-shots. We’re not sparing some of our (precious) time to read any old bland clichéd One-Shot, we do expect at least some decent writing. That’s what the Guidelines and Rules are for; to make our lives just a tad bit easier.

Rules and Guidelines:

1.) Good grammar and spelling is required

2.) The entry must not be rated NC-17. Entries rated R are fine though. But if it is rated R, please warn us. We won’t be showing these one-shots when the results because children are reading this as well but you can place them on the forum afterwards after the results are out.

3.) Must pertain to the Tragedy Genre, may have other genres but the Tragedy should be prominent.

4.) Put some effort into your work. Must have some creativity and imagination evoked in it. Don't have an uncreative, bland, boring clichéd fic. Actually spend some time on it.

5.) Must be AT LEAST 2-3 pages long on Microsoft Word. That's the minimum. You may feel free to write as long as you want but don't go overboard. We're humans as well.

6.) Must be related to POKEMON or ORIGINAL. It is advisable not to do a cross-over.

7.) It may be in Script-Format but it must not be poorly written. Bad Scripts ruin everyone's day. Including ours.

8.) Have FUN!

9.) It must be NOT have been posted on the SPP until the results are announced. If you wish to use SOME recycled material, you must ask the Judges’ permission before hand and we will decide to let you or not. Any entry posted on the website before the results are posted WILL be disqualified. You may post it on another forum though before the announcement.

10.) You may have one or two beta-readers to proof-read/beat your entry. I can't see why you'll need three or more beta-readers- two are more than enough- two can do the job easily, you won't be needing more.

11.) Only one one-shot per entrant.

The Dead Line is Midnight, 15 February, 2008 (GMT). The Dead Line is Subject to Change. Be sure to put at least SOME effort into this contest. Lazy slobs WILL be executed. *sharpens an axe*

Anyway, HAVE FUN WRITING! Be sure to awe us with your amazing Tragedy One-Shots! Entries may be PM-ed or emailed to one of the Judges. After one of us receive an entry, he/she will send it to the other Judges. Entries MAY NOT be posted on SPP until the judging is finished and done with. If you have any questions, please feel free to post. Happy to oblige.

So any suggestions, additions, removals....? Questions anyone?

*Goes back to daydreaming*

Current Entrants:

Saphira_thorn

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  2. OOOH.

MIX IS OFFICIALLY A SELF-PROCLAIMED ENTRANT!!

I'll get started right away. Let's see what dramatic, tragic events may stem from this girl's mind...

~Mix

3. purple_drake

purple_drake E/GL obsessed

Yah-hay! I've been sitting on a fic for the past... almost two months... in anticipation of this contest. ^.^;; Only, I have another idea for a one-shot which would be a good qualifier too. Now I have to decide which one I wanna enter!

Either way, count me in. ;)

4. IceKing

IceKing Sexorific!

How about the Mario World? I would imagine all of the judges are familiar with Mario, Peach, Bowser, Daisy, ect?

5. Draco Malfoy

Draco Malfoy -REaction

With entries of another fandom, we'll only accept them if all the Judges are familiar with the fandom in question.

Me, I'm familar with Mario so I'm fine with it although I never thought you could write a Tragedy fic out of Mario. ^^;;;

6. Psychic

Psychic Really and truly

I'd have loved to judge a contest like this, but hey; about time I put myself to the test to see if I can actually do a decent job writing something tragic. Shame that other than that Ponyta One-Shot I haven't had any ideas for something tragic as of recent, and that One-Shot just wouldn't be...hard-hitting enough. Too simple, and I've lost the drive to write it (which makes sense as it's been sitting in my head for about three years now XD).

Hopefully I'll get inspiration to write something. Death and awful, raw emotion; yay! That makes me happier than I should be, I think. :3

Best of luck to everyone!

~Psychic

7. Burnt Flower

Burnt Flower Horror Mistress

I'll join.

I did say the same thing for the Romance Contest (I really wish I had entered), but I think I have an idea for a tragedy one-shot. I know I won't win (I haven't written anything new in 2 years), but I want to see how far I can go.

8. Ejunknown

Ejunknown be creative

8D Awesome, this is on, I've started writing my entry, gotta fix an error and then continue it.

...And I didn't know you could have different fandoms. D8 Never mind. It's original now. XD *runs to fix*

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  9. Kamex

Kamex Team Rocket's rockin

I'll join. I haven't posted a fic in a while, but since this is a one-shot contest I can spend a lot of time trying to make it really good, just short and sweet.

10. Saffire Persian

Saffire Persian Now you see me...

If you want to write a Mario tragedy 'fic, Iceking. Feel free. I'm familiar enough with the fandom. XD

11. Literate

Literate black cat, black cat

... Tradegy. =O

This might motivate me to finish up that story I've been looking forward to completing. And it's actually something I might be able to write up well. Maybe. xP

I've been dead on these forums for who knows how long.

<< >>

*must revive self*

12. Dragonfree

Dragonfree Just me

I may enter this with the story that I wrote for the battle contest, slightly altered. It wasn't much of a battle, but it sure as hell is tragic.

13. Knightblazer

Knightblazer Memories in the Rain

I... might try on this, but I can't say anything for sure - brain's now pretty much dead after NaNo... X.x;;;

Might try a Bleach-based one though. Is that alright, MWB? xD

Knightblazer ;262;

14. Wolverine

Wolverine The one and only!

Okay, I've never written fan-fiction before, but they tell me I'm a pretty good writer. So what the heck; I'll give it a shot... oh, and do you send it in by PM? If you do, who do you send it to?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  15. Draco Malfoy

Draco Malfoy -REaction

Well, the other judges have to be reasonably familar with the fandom in question, which in this case is BLEACH. Well, I'm fine with it, and I think Saffire Persian is reasonably familar with the anime. It all comes down to Katie and Sike. XP

And talking about Bleach, get crackin' on ya RPG post. We don't don't want ADVENT to die now, do we?

And Wolverine, like I said before, you can PM it to ANY of the four judges. If it's too big for a PM, then you can either divide it into many PMs (which is inadvisable) or send it to one of the judges via email. Hell, you can even post it on another forum, and just PM one of us the link to the fic. Just don't post it here until we're all done. XD

16. purple_drake

purple_drake E/GL obsessed

Question: I still want to enter this certain one-shot, but there's something wrong with it and I can't figure out what, so I'd love to put it on another forum for feedback. If I did that, would I then be able to edit it and enter it, as long as it was all done before the deadline?

I'm just not sure if posting it once for betaing purposes is a violation of rule 10 or not. ^.^;;; Thanks!

17. Saffire Persian

Saffire Persian Now you see me...

If you put it on another forum and get critique on it, and give to us a slightly different (edited) version of the one-shot, that's just fine. You just can't post it on SPPF.

18. elyvorg

elyvorg somewhat backwards.

I was attacked by a plotbunny yesterday and now have a vague outline of a plot for this, so I'll probably try and refine and write it at some point. Being new to writing, I haven't actually written tragedy before, but I can give it a go.

It probably helps that I've just finished studying Romeo and Juliet in English, too >>

19. The Red Butterfly

The Red Butterfly rocket queen

A tragic one-shot contest? Sounds like fun, I've needed some motivation to write another one shot and this could be it! I haven't really written anything too tragic but I'll give it try.

20. Sike Saner

Sike Saner Peace to the Mountain

I'm pretty familiar with Mario. As for Bleach... I'm afraid I know nothing about Bleach. ^^;