• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Requiem of a Dream

Xiang

“No,” he said, finally. “I think… I think everything will be fine now.

Shouldn't there be a quotation mark after the end?

Actually, really, I don't mind the length (because today was a long day and if this was a really long chapter, I would've groaned and saved it for later XD). Short and sweet. Overall really good.

Agh, can't really give criticism (because I liked the length). Or maybe it's because I'm really worn out now. See you later, and thanks for the PM!

Hidden Mew

Fog Trainer
Great first chapter. I loved the way that you described all of the surroundings. I also thought that it was interesting that you defined the Absol culture. The names are really neat too. I didn't even noticed when I was reading it that Pollux is a shiny. That is also really cool. I can't wait for the next chapter and please feel free to send me a message for the next chapter.

Saffire Persian

Now you see me...
SnoringFrog: Thanks for the review, when I get the time, I will review your story. As for your questions:

Shouldn't it be "as intense and blazing as a flame" or "intense and blazing like a flame"? I don't think what you have sounds quite right.

It could go either way, but I meant like.

So, they are twins as well, just as their starry counterparts. Should've thought of that, but I didn't.

Ding! The prize goes to you on that one. I named them after that particular constellation. And as for the shiny bit, I only decided to make Pollux shiny because of how Pollux (the star) is described as a "red star". I saw the shiny Absol was red, and I was like, "I have to make him shiny!"

Sike: Thanks so much for the review again... Glad you like Pollux ^^.. He's one of my favorites myself. ... and I have nothing more to say.. boing!

Ash_Junior: I was wondering if anyone would notice that Pollux is shiny.... but yeah, he is. As for the names, not after Greek names persay. It is true that that some of the names in the story (The Absol, at least) might be Greek, but in truth, they are named after stars and constellations. For instance, Pollux and Castor's father is named Kaitos - which is part of a constellation.

Chaos Absol: Yes, Pollux is very quiet and observant.. g lad you saw that, it was what I was trying to portray. And yes, I realize they don't look like each other, and AJ's right in saying that not all twins look alike - the term is Fraternal , which is what Castor and Pollux are.

Ratiasu:
No,” he said, finally. “I think… I think everything will be fine now.

Shouldn't there be a quotation mark after the end?

No. His statement "I think everything will be fine now." Is not a question - a statement rather. If I wanted Castor to sound more unsure, maybe I would've put a question mark for emphasis, but really, it's just a plain statement.

To everyone else: Thanks for the reviews. And to all the Closet Readers out there, thanks for reading.

SnoringFrog

No. His statement "I think everything will be fine now." Is not a question - a statement rather. If I wanted Castor to sound more unsure, maybe I would've put a question mark for emphasis, but really, it's just a plain statement.

Saff, you might want to look at what Ratiasu said again. It says QUOTATION MARK not question mark.

katiekitten

The Compromise
Brilliant. Pure magic. I absolutely loved this chapter. It was cleverly written, beautifully written, and I loved every second of it. I like Pollux's character, he has a nice perosnality from what I saw. So that was all a dream before? It makes sence... Very well done and I can't wait for the next chappie! :)

Xiang

Aye, it's alright, I was kinda weirded out for a sec when I saw your post...o_O

Saffire Persian

Now you see me...
Mhm.. I've also been wrong in my assumptions twice. Upon reading through the chapter in hopes to edit once more, I noticed that SnoringFrog was also right in his observations after reading the context... like does sound odd there.. Makes me feel stupid... ^^

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Well, I must admit that after waiting for such a considerable time for this chapter it has a surprising number of errors. Briefly:

It took him a moment to realize he was sitting up, his mind trying desperately to recall the events of which he had just experienced.
The last part of this sentence ("of which he had just experienced") doesn't make much sense and is garbled. Try something simpler like "the events that he had just experienced".

Faces, he had seen faces, bloody and gashed.

Shaking his head, Castor tried to grasp the fleeting remnants of the dream, but they, like the rest, were flying away, vanishing like a horde of transparent butterflies, until he was, as always, left with nothing: he was a sufferer without a cause.
"Horde of transparent butterflies" made me giggle. Not the impression you were trying to give?

Only the feelings of fear and dread lingered, for the body could not forget what was instilled in it, even if it could not remember; after all, one did not forget the feel of pain, even if the cause was all but forgotten.
That's a paradox (stripped down, it says that the body could not forget but it couldn't remember). I don't know if that was your intent, so if it's not, then consider rewording.

A picture suddenly seared from his brain, as intense and blazing as a flame: it was a picture of a face not unlike his own, rivulets of red coursing down that face, seeping into the skin and dyeing it red.
I don't think that seared from his brain is the way to go here... also, I'd suggest "it" to go in for the second mention of face here. But points for spelling it dyeing and actually having it be right in context.

It was unrecognizable enough that he would not to be able to pick out a face of the owner if he wanted to, yet it wasn’t so vague for him to dismiss it as nothing.
I don't really know what you're saying there.

Something to differ himself from the rest.
I don't believe that differ is the best word there. Perhaps something more like distinguish?

- You seem to be getting then and than mixed up. Then is used only to indicate the passage of time or the order of events. By contrast, than is used when comparing two things. For example, "It then became blacker than the purest obsidian," or something similarly silly.

Just a dream... nothing but a dream
You did most of your elipses right, but you seem to have missed those ;).

That was what Pollux always said, never actively pursuing anything that came before him.

Castor then vaguely wondered if any of the other Absol slept. He knew that foresight – visions – the knowing of the unknown -- were something to his kind, though he had never heard another say anything about it: it was a kind of instinctive intelligence that he knew from the time he was born and was only later certified as truth.
I'd suggest a comma between visions and "the knowing of the unknown" as well. Obviously, this is also quite a long sentence.

Instead, he stared blankly at the den’s wall, allowing the streaks of red, purple, and gold to play across his face.
If he's staring at the wall (thus turned towards it) how can the sunset's light be playing across his face? The sunset is behind him, and the wall is presumeably not reflective.

Castor’s face showed a brief flash of emotion at the mention of his mother, her lithe, outlandish frame filling his mind.
Outlandish? It's not wrong, but it seems an odd word. Just wondering what makes her outlandish.

Instead of lying back down, the red-skinned Absol strove purposefully towards the den’s exit, out into the twilight that was fast ushering in the moon.
I don't think that strove fits here; to my mind, it implies too much struggle or undue hard work. Pollux seems like a cool cat, not someone who would make it obvious that he was working hard to gain something--and it seems odd that he would be having difficulty reaching the exit of the den. I actually thought that this was just a typo for "strode" when I first read it, until seeing that word used not much later.

So, anyway, I overall liked this chapter. I was a bit disappointed by the whole dream sequence thing--it's always kind of a letdown to have someone set you up with a real good cliffhanger, and then come back with the good ol' "Oh, don't worry about it, it was just a dream." It's a minor gripe and a personal preference, but meh.

Pollux seems an interesting character. Your description of him makes him vaguely sinister--there seems an odd detachment between the brothers, though you'd expect them to be very close to one another, having grown up together and all. And yet Castor seems hardly to know or understand Pollux. An interesting dynamic, possibly resulting from the Absol clan's fierce independence? I did like that part--it seems very fitting for the species.

An enjoyable read and a nice, slow introduction to the characters. You've improved a great deal from what I can remember of your first fanfic.

Saffire Persian

Now you see me...
Negrek: Thanks so much for reviewing again..and absolutely proving I have a horrible proof-reading eye. There's a few reasons it has so many errors.. Which, I am not very proud of.. the first of which is that I used this story for Nanowrimo (The Goal is to write 50,000 words in a month), so really, I hadn't touched Chapter 1 since I first wrote it when November started until the very beginnings of December... and to tell the truth, I knew it had been a long time in coming, and I pushed myself to get a chapter out, which I had to totally redo. Personally, I'm rather ashamed that there were so many errors, and thanks so much for pointing them out. The next chapter, I hope, will be better in that category... as I won't rush myself this time.

And yes, the cliffhanger. Well, there were a few ways I could have started out this story - one of which was to directly continue on from the now "Dream Sequence" and go about what happens after, and it would have very likely ended up back here after that scene concluded... it was one of my options, but I decided not to for various reasons, which may or may not be better in the long run, though I hope it will be for the best, though I suppose I could put in the original beginning I had for it that would help close the cliffhanger a tad.. *shruggs*

When you pointed out "Outlandish" as an odd word to describe Castor's mother, I can see where you're coming from, and perhaps a different word would be better, but though his mother may not seem "outlandish" to, say, Pokemon Trainers or the like, she does seem very outlandish to the Absol in this clan - even to her own sons, because, as I will go into in future chapters, because she is an "Outsider", as in, she came into the Clan some years previous, which is not a very common occurrence, and thus her bloodline is a bit different from the Absol portrayed here. So the Absol view her as a bit outlandish . . . although maybe there's a word better for this situation.

And as for Castor and Pollux's relationship, well, it's an odd one, I'll say that much.

Again, thanks so much for pointing out all those errors.

Last edited:

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
O.O...................................................whoa.

This is deep. Something real deep. I like the way you made Pollux...so deep and unburdened. He cares for Castor but won't bug him about his problems. Castor too is very cool. All in all, very nice work. Not my kind of fic, but you're seriously getting me hooked. Later!

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Don't get me wrong... the POV aspect is cool. Getting wrapped around mystery is awesome too. It's just the dark and (uh, macabre a good word here?) start has me a little wowed. i like where this is going. An Absol who wishes not to be a bringer of Disaster is cool. I like Castor's desire to fight against the world's idea of him. it's cool, and i'll keep reading to see if he'll make it. Later!
P.S. I'm also thinking of a short Pokemon POV sometime next year. This vac seems to be all about typing...heh, heh.

blackemerald

Since you gave my preview a shot, I only thought it would be fair if I gave your fic a shot. Absol-utly beautiful.*Hides face after saying pun* The description was lovely and set the mood perfectly for the mysterious feel. Your charaters are lovely although I can't really see where the plot is heading. Negrek has already pointed out your mistakes so all I can really say is good luck with this fic!

C

Calcos the Destroyer

*poof*

*Appears out of Wormhole* OOOFFF!! Hey I can control these! ....Hey, I remember this! *reads* WHOA. Seriously whoa. Great introduction to Pollux, I now have gruesome images dancing in my head due to their dreams! AAAK!! *poof*

BenJS

Happily Ignorant
Good chapter. Too short for my liking, but then again I'm the type who absolutely loves ten thousand word chapters. But not to worry, if the length fits then use it I always say...well not really, but you get the point.

I kind of caught on that Pollux was a shiny at the mention of his face. Also on the topic of Pollux, I love his personality. That quiet-observant, slightly detached kind of personality always attracts me, and his is rather like my own. I like the names, by the way, though I know nothing of astrology astronomy, so the origins of their names escaped me.

So it was all a dream, or was it a vision of what’s to come? The former would be rather disappointing as Negrek said. But does this mean that the mawhile isn’t gone, at least not for now?

Anyway, it’s good and I look forward to the next instalment. ‘til next time then.

Hey Saffire, after you made my banner, I decided to come and have a look at your story. I read it twice, resorting to just skimming over it, because it seemed so hard to immerse myself in it. It's not easy reading, it's not an airport novel...you know those things...I've forgotten the metaphor, but yeah. Today, I read it again, and sunk into it comfortably. I inalyl understood what was going on, and I love it. I love the dark, (I'm gonna steal that other guys word) macabre sense you're bringing to the whole thing, and the snese of mystery. The story hasn't even really started yet, so I'll be interested to see how the plot shapes up.

I'll just go through and quote things I liked, and some things which I thought made it a little difficult to read the first time through. I commend you and revere you, simply because I noticed, as I was reading the prologue, that it was last edited earlier today. That's amazing, very professional, nothing like anything I could do. Fr that reason, I was going to go through and point out some spellign mistakes I found, but I was skimming to get the quotes (again) and I couldn't find them. They are there, somewhere....

Anyway, yeah, I'll just go thrugh the whole thign and comment on each piece of writing I'd like to comment on- as opposed to splitting all my comments into nice and nasty things, I'll go through everything in chronological order- I always find it easier when reviewers do it like that. I've probably noticed lots more bad things than good things, but that's because they're easier to find when you're skimming- and the fact that i have given you such a good review is proof that I loved it, if I didnt love every sentence of it. Right, here it is then...

Thunder rumbled ominously across the midnight sky, while chilling rain pelted the earth below, mixing with the soggy dirt and grass. The wind was a violent maelstrom of activity, swirling and buffeting all the unfortunates that had chosen to weather out the storm, outside and unprotected. The sky above was clouded, darkened with a thousand shades of black. The stars and moon were all but gone, swallowed entirely by the dark, malicious clouds that now blanketed the sky above the city. They were greedy, swallowing everything that came into their path, blanketing the world below in darkness.

First paragraph- it's wonderful. Really descriptive, very evocative. I can tell you went to a lot of effort to make this paragraph so beautiful. However, the first two times I read it, it turned me off the whole story immediatly. I think the biggest problem you have as a writer is that you tend to use too many adjectives, and the reader gets bogged down in imagining it all at once. An example of this is when you say things like "dark, malicious clouds" where you could just choose one, and say "malicious clouds" instead. Simplifying text is a good way of making description more powerful to readers, bcause they pick it up wuicker. Don't make descriptions too difficult to imagine, they should be as easy as possible to conjure up in someones mind.
I loved "They were greedy" talking about the clouds, that was the best description in your entire story so far, really evocative, I understood what you meant straight away. However, you went on to explain it- "swallowing everythign that came into their path"..which was kind of already there, and didn't really need to be said- another way to simplify a description- and you had already used swallowing in the sentence before. Using the same word twice in short succession is the simplest way of destroying its meaning to the reader- once you've read swallowing already, it doesn't provoke such a strong image the second time. Get rid of one of them, and replace it with something that means the same thing.

The thunder’s voice seemed to echo that statement, voice laced with unprecedented malice. It was mocking them, especially mocking him.

I love personification usually, but "especially mocking him" doesn't make sense to me. Who's "him"? Is it the clouds? Is it castor, before you've introduced him? This is another example of overdescription- just keep it simple, don't make it too hard to understand.

For what?

A friend. A light in the darkness.

I love how Castor is askign himself questions- it makes a reader ask the same question. This is one bit that grabbed my attention when I first skimmed through- a light in the darkness, kind of corny, but also reminded me of Alexi's dream, so I can't really talk.

All of his attention had been devoted to that one task: finding her. It was a simple task that anyone should have been able to do. But he had failed . . . again.

I love the fact we don't know who "she" is. Grabbed my attention right away.

To think the things that occurred in the realm of imaginary could be so much more terrible than the things that existed realm of reality.

This is a lovely idea, and I can get what you're trying to say, but the wording makes it hard to understand, which isn't good. It seems liek the sentence isn't finished yet. Maybe just word it differently.

Even the dark could not protect him from the scene before him. Castor saw the blood, the twisted bodies, and most of all, the shadowed faces in all their hellish glory. He had seen this all before, but that did not take away the sting – the sting the pain, fear, and revulsion that he had been left to deal with from the first encounter.

Here's another example of over-description. "protect him from the scene before him" is kind of an overuse of "him", but "the sting(add a comma here), the pain, (the?)fear and revulsion that he had been left to deal with from the first encounter.- is too complicated. Sting, fear and pain are all good words, but are overused and so lose their effect. revulsion is great- but they're dead bodies, maybe a bit more emphasis on the revulsion would be better. Emphasis is somethign you tend to lose track of too- make sure you know exactly what picture you want your readers to have in their head after they're read something, so that they're left with powerful words that make an impact, and understand what's going on. That happened in the beginning part where Absol was on a rooftop as well- it took me a while to realise Absol was on a roftop, I had to keep reminding myself of it. Maybe that's because you forget yourself, when you're writing.

points as sharp as a Scyther’s blades,

I love your pokemon anthropomorphism- only person I know to be able to pull it off and not seem corny, this description was so effective. Pokemon anthropomorphism is a long word...pokopomorphism is better. I'll say that from now on.

He threw his spirit body aside, tearing himself away from the fibers that bound him to this alternate reality.

Here's another bit where I got confused. A bit more emphasis on the "comign back to reality" part and less emphasis on the spirit body and the fibers- maybe don't use spirit body. it's really clever, but it confuses people. use mind, or something lik that instead, it'd make it easier to understand.

The darkness that pervaded the cave was like a voluminous ebony cloak, thick and suffocating, chasing away any light that dared to try to shine through.

More overdescription. You just don't need to use two adjectives to describe things all the time- "volumnious, ebony cloak"- either of those adjectives is great, but both kidn of takes away from the overall description, and just makes the sentence look more intelligent and wordy, rather than being more evocative. I think more 'as...as a...' descriptions would be good too- at the moment youre using lots of 'like a...' and 'was a...'- similies and metaphors, yeah, i know what they're called, I just forgot.

The pathway was beginning to spiral downwards, a chill wind blowing from some unseen crack in the cavern’s walls.

This is the first time you mention that the cave is in a spiral, and is heading downwards. That's really not clear enough in my mind for the next bit, which really relies on readers having a clear vision of a spiral cave which you could fall into, I only got that the third time I read it- another emphasis thing.

His stability and sense of balance broken, Castor was only quick enough to avoid a lethal blow to the neck, the vice-like jaws instead snapping over his right forepaw with a hard, sickening crunch.

This whole action sequence is kind of unclear and uses way too much description to be followed with as much excitement as you need to carry it off. especially in action scenes, strip the description down to a bare minimum, so that readers can follow everything, and it can all seem to happen very quickly. Also, try to avoid these Matrix/Jackie Chan-style action sequences, because they require too much description to be carried off in writing (they're only good on screen, when you can see everything that happens, and know exactly what it is right away).

The great brown jaws spat out a great clump of white fur

I loved this bit. Just so....evocative. See how such small, simple words create such a vivd image? Really, really impressive stuff, this. Oh- cept you used 'great' once too many times. Just replace it with a different word.

It was a feminine voice, as sweet and pure as honey. A sweet fragrance reminiscent of wildflowers seemed to fill the air at the Mawile’s words as she twirled around, her second jaw making a clip clip noise.

"As sweet and as pure as honey" is way overused, but it still worked. Maybe cut one of the adjective out- I wonder fi you really did think of the voice as pure, or were just running with the cliche. What else is honey, which relates to this voice? I think honey is a great way of describing it- the voice is sickly, golden, dripping, deep, sticky...etcetera, etcetera. It just makes description so much more effective if you always think of an unusual way to describe something. Also, "wildflowers" seemed unnecessary and very corny. Just "flowers" would suffice- what difference does it make here that they're wildflowers? maybe even wild flwoers would be better than wildflowers. It's just so corny.

The Mawile noticed the Absol’s perplexed expression. Her grin became wider. Her angelic appearance was beginning to look far more sinister. “Dead.”

“No!” Castor’s posture became rigid, jolting him out of his growing reverie.

More corn (corny corn). it's so hard to have a dramatic scene without resorting to cliches, but surely, a talented creative writer liek you could think of somethign better than "No!"
On the other hand, I loved Mawile's "dead." That worked perfectly, because of the way you led up to it.

There was no sign of pursuit on the Mawile's part, her ruby eyes shifting down in what either could be curiosity or amusement. However, Castor knew it was only a matter of time before the Mawile got frustrated and attempted to catch up with him.

The Mawile was using Iron Defense again, her laughter bouncing off the abyss’s walls. Despite the added weight, she appeared to be no closer to Castor then what she had been before. The Mawile appeared to have noticed this, shouting angrily: “Dead, dead, dead!”

The end bit just got a little confusing, because I kept having to remind myself that the pokemon were falling down an abyss- you really need to emphasise that, that everythign is moving really quickly. Shorten sentences, cut down on description- the action is happening really fast here. Although it's a long way to fall, the amount of action you had while they were fallign gave the sense that they were falling down the rabbit-hole from Alexi in Wonderland, and I half expected them to float past cupboards full of teacups and grandfather clocks.

I found much less to comment on about the first chapter- probably because there was less in it than the first, which isn't a bad thing. Nice description, I have an idea about what this Absol clan is like now. I didn't like your title, because ti was misleading- an Overture of a show is an introduction, but it's usually the bit at the start where they play a little bit of every song from the whole show, so it usually goes for ages. Your chapter wasn't long enough to be justified as an overture, I felt- there must be another musical term you could think of for the beginning of something.

recoiling away from each notion of recall like a Togepi from rotting flesh.

Another fantastic example of pokopomorphism.

It was a start; it was something. Something to distinguish himself from the rest.

Who's the himself you're referring to here? You did this kind of thign at the beginning of thel ast chapter, too- who's "he?"

“Go back to sleep, Castor,” Pollux continued, staring out the exit of their tiny den once more. “The moon hasn’t even risen yet.”

First you mention that it's still the middle of the night, unless I've missed something. s soon as you said castor woke up, I imagined him waking in the morning, so you need to speficy that it's night too- also, specify that they're in a cave/den thing- someow, I had the impression that they were on top of these rock things, maybe because of the way you described their home being "on top of a mountain". I don't know- this is just more emphasis stuff. Make sure the reader is imagining the same thing you're imagining- make all the right bits clear.

“Castor.”

“Yes?”

“You said you couldn't remember?”

“I did.”

“Do you want to remember?”

This last bit was gorgeous, except I wasn't sure at first what the "I did" was referring to. is it.."I did remember" or "I did say I couldn't remember."? I hate things like that...

Right, that's everything. Biggest review I've done in my life. It's a great story, just be wary, as all POV writers should, to always remember that your pokemon is a pokemon and not a human, and should think like a pokemon and not a human. I like your writing style, I liek where this is going, PM me when you write more- I hope my comments were helpful, I'm sorry I couldn't find that other spelling mistake.

Thanks again for my banner.

P

~Phanpy~

Wow... no words can describe this but beautiful! Very, very well paced, and you make the characters seem almost life-like, human like even! your description is superb, you do not overly describe, but give enough to create a very clear picture in the mind. the only mistakes i have found have been pointed out, so keep it coming!

~Phanpy~ ;231;