• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Research Month

dragonuser™

the greatest crisis
Research Month: October

serebiiresearchmonth.png

*Credit to Lunar for the awesome banner

Purpose:

With the change from BW1 to BW2, many once potent threats dropped in usage and new threats rose. Currently many people are arguing that BW2 is growing stale and some players are even going as far as saying that there are only 10-15 "usable" teams in the metagame. The purpose of this thread, and challenge, will be to show that BW2 is full of surprises and effective pokemon. Every month your hosts, me and user Makaveli, will post three Pokemon we consider viable in the current metagame, but underappreciated. This challenge will involve teambuilding and laddering, but don't worry if these things can sometimes be difficult. The secondary purpose of this thread is to help new battlers get into teambuilding by offering advice and suggestions. With that being said, feel free to post your teams in the thread asking for suggestions. Likewise if the challenge is easy to you, make an effort to help newer players with their challenge. We as a community are constantly learning, so respect and a good attitude are required.

The Challenge:

Every month three Pokemon will be listed by the hosts, and at least one of these Pokemon is required to be on your team. These Pokemon will be very viable in the OU metagame, and this will hopefully inspire some more creativity in everyones day to day teambuilding. Achievements in this tourny will be based on how your team does on the ladder. Both the PS and PO ladder will be acceptable, although different requirements will exist for each ladder. Needless to say, when doing this challenge new alts need to be used by participants. People who achieve high rankings on the ladder will be recorded in the hall of fame, and will be given a reward. When posting ladder achievments, please post a screenshot or "/ranking" of your rank, along with the team you used. By posting the team you used you can serve as an example for other users who may be having some trouble with the challenge. We want to encourage discussion, so if you are having trouble, feel free to post asking for advice. Even if you are doing well try to post; saying what works, what doesn't, and what were your experiences using these Pokemon.

Pokemon of the Month: October
Spr_4h_145.png

Zapdos
Zapdos is a often underrated Pokemon in this metagame. It offers renowned bulk, as well as formidable offense. Zapdos has the ability to serve as a premier special wall, and a check to threatening Water-Type's like Starmie and Politoed, while threatening them with STABed Thunders. Zapdos can also serve a role of VoltTurn chains, with its strong Special Attacks, as well as its access to both U-Turn and Volt Switch. Its formidable bulk and offensive pressure shouldn't be overlooked while teambuilding.
Spr_5b_620.png

Mienshao
Mienshao has recently dropeed down to UU, with the advent of BW2. It sits at a very potent speed tier, and boasts very high Offensive stats. To top it off, it also has regenerator to heal any Life Orb or hazards damage. Mienshao can work very well on VoltTurn chains for this reason. However its potential doesn't stop there, as it can also run threatening Swords Dance sets, and can even pass it to teammates with Baton Pass.
Spr_2c_143.gif

Snorlax
Snorlax truly shined in the earlier generations of Pokemon. Ever since BW has began, Snorlax has been overlooked and deemed useless. However this isn't true, as snorlax boasts insane Special Defense, but unlike the blobs can threaten many Pokemon with its good coverage and high Attack Stat. Snorlax can serve as a bulky trapper for Psychic-Type's like Lati@s, or as an offensive option for some teams.

*If you have other suggestions for sets that these three Pokemon can run, feel free to post them!

Code:
serebii username: 
Pokemon(s) you plan to use:
Ladder alt (remember it needs to be an untouched alt):

Participants
1. Chidori__O (Chidori_OT)
2. thedarklord2155 (klaus)
3. Eaglehawk
4. Messuduppotatoasia (R@TT@T@)
5. Ghosts of The Forum

Hall of Fame
*The Hall of Fame will encompass achievements from all months
**For PS rankings, you must have a dev of 65 or less

Gold:
(1500+ on PO, 1900+ on PS)
~Eranu - Hail Offense with Virizion
Abomasnow (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SDef
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Ice Shard

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Body Slam
- Iron Head

Virizion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Earthquake
Silver:
(1400+ on PO, 1800+ on PS)
~Rairyan - Sand Offense
Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Thunder
- Trick

Salamence (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast

Terrakion @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Gliscor (F) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Sand Veil
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Tyranitar (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sand Stream
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Virizion @ (No Item)
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
~Psilo -Sand Offense with Bronzong and Chandelure
Bronzong@Air Balloon
Ability: Heat Proof
EV's: 252 SpD/252 HP/4 Def
Sassy Nature
-Toxic
-Stealth Rock
-Reflect
-Gyro Ball

Tyranitar@Leftovers
Ability: Sandstream
EV's: 252 HP/146 SpA/84 Att/ 28 Spe
Quiet Nature
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam

Chandelure@Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EV'S: 252 SpA/252 Spe/ 4 HP
Timid Nature
-Fire Blast
-Energy Ball
-Shadow Ball
-HP Ground

Latios@Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EV's: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
Timid Nature
-Trick
-HP Fire
-Surf
-Draco Meteor

Gliscor@Flying Gem
Ability: Sand Veil
EV's: 252 Spe/252 Att/ 4 HP
Jolly Nature
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Acrobatics

Skarmory@Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EV's: 252 HP/ 232 Def/ 24 Spe
Impish Nature
-Spikes
-Roost
-Whirlwind
-Brave Bird
Bronze:
(1300+ on PO, 1700+ on PS)
~Eranu - Deo-D Offense with Chandelure
Deoxys-Defense @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Psycho Boost

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Fire Blast
- Trick
- Shadow Ball

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 152 HP / 104 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Keldeo-Resolution @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Hydro Pump

Breloom @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Swords Dance

*Because of PS's glitchy ladder and random resets, it is recommended to ladder on PO

dragonuser™

the greatest crisis
609.gif

Chandelure
Chandelure is an interesting choice on sun teams, working as a very effective scarfer. Scarf Chandelure can outspeed threatening Pokemon like Latios and Starmie who otherwise think they can get an easy ko. Chandelure can work outside of sun teams as well, acting as a great spin blocker, as it does very well versus spinners like Forretress. As said by Eaglehawk, Choice Specs Chandelure is also an extremely deadly wallbreaker in the Sun, boasting very powerful Overheats/Fire Blasts.

640.gif

Virizion
With the rise of Tornadus-T, many people have forgotten about Virizion, seeing it as a sub-par pokemon. However Virizion is actually very deadly in this metagame, and is able to run many sets including but not limited to Calm Mind, Swords Dance, Work Up, and Support. Virizion has a high base Special Defense as well, and is able to tank many of the boosted Water-Type attacks in the metagame.

437.gif

Bronzong
Bronzong is one of the few pokemon who can boast being a counter to Tornadus-T in the rain. His valuable set of resistances paired with his ability, levitate, can make him a very potent wall. He can run viable support sets and has the ability to reliably lay Stealth Rocks. If you are worried about his longevity, Bronzong has the ability to run Resto Chesto sets, or even a RestTalk set. If you plan to run a team with some form of Trick Room, Bronzong can serve as a very reliable Trick Room Setter, or even sweeper.

Eaglehawk

Banned
serebii username: Eaglehawk
Pokemon(s) you plan to use: All three
Ladder alt (remember it needs to be a new alt): Bowls of Nuts for both PS and PO
Ladder Ranking: PO is 1287

I assume this is reserved now.

dragonuser™

the greatest crisis
serebii username: Eaglehawk
Pokemon(s) you plan to use: All three
Ladder alt (remember it needs to be a new alt): Bowls of Nuts for both PS and PO
Ladder Ranking: PO is 1287

I assume this is reserved now.
the alt you start with needs to be untouched (I clarified the sign up code), so if you could just edit in/post a untouched alt then you can start the challenge :D

Eaglehawk

Banned
I was just wondering if I can represent my clan for this event, because I'm introducing this to the clan as a cool groupwork activity thing. Is that okay?

EDIT: I registered it.

Soperman

The One and Only
serebii username: Soperman
Pokemon(s) you plan to use: Virizion
Ladder alt (remember it needs to be an untouched alt): Makomander (will only be doing PO)

You know, it's interesting, but I haven't battled a single Therian while laddering since last month. Admittedly, I only battled once or twice a week, but still...

Lunar.

I can't run forever
serebii username: Lunar.
Pokemon(s) you plan to use: Bronzong
Ladder alt (remember it needs to be an untouched alt): ILoveKierra

dragonuser™

the greatest crisis
Don't post only when you reach a ladder ranking worthy of archive. Try to post frequently saying where you are on the ladder, and what you used to get there. Other participants can help with your team, if you post it, and it can help spur discussion on uses for these Pokemon in the meta.

Phoopes

There it is.
Serebii username: Phoopes
Pokemon(s) you plan to use: Virizion
Ladder alt (remember it needs to be an untouched alt): Verizon (PS only)

Zachmac

serebii username: Zachmac
Pokemon(s) you plan to use: Virizion, and perhaps Bronzong, but maybe not.
Ladder alt (remember it needs to be an untouched alt): Zachmac R. Month

...Yep, I'm still alive. Just really rusty. I think this will be a good way to introduce me to the new metagame.

Soperman

The One and Only
So far, I've had a ton of success through stall, in case anybody needs help for an idea for a team or something.
Possibel suggestions: Virizion could be used in a FWG core, while Bronzong is decent for TR teams. I find Restalk works best for me.

Eranu™

serebii username: Eranu
Pokemon(s) you plan to use: Bronzong and Virizion
Ladder alt (remember it needs to be an untouched alt): Kurosakii

5221A

serebii username: 5221A
Pokemon(s) you plan to use: Bronzong
Ladder alt (remember it needs to be an untouched alt): [RM] anziliero

I guess I'll join, may be fun. Never used one of these Pokés out side of UU and 4th gen.

Naoto Shirogane

The Detective Prince
serebii username: Rairyan
Pokemon(s) you plan to use: viz
Ladder alt (remember it needs to be a new alt): Just like dancing 2

Utopian

faults & feats
serebii username: Jets
Pokemon(s) you plan to use: bronzong
Ladder alt (remember it needs to be an untouched alt): BRONZONG WIN

dragonuser™

the greatest crisis
Ok lets start a discussion topic~

Lots of people are choosing Bronzong or Virizion (both do pretty well vs some of Rain's biggest threats), do you think that is the reason they are being picked more than chandelure? Or is there another reason that both Bronzong and Virizion seem more viable? Likewise is there anything you see detracting from Chandelure's usage in the metagame? Anything helping it?

DISCUSS

EmeraldGoblin

Rehab, no. Dead.
serebii username: EmeraldGoblin
Pokemon(s) you plan to use: Virizion and Bronzong
Ladder alt (remember it needs to be a new alt): DemianGoblin
Ladder Ranking: n/a (I dont usually play to rank OU, but now i will!)

Eranu™

Got to 1700 precisely using a shitty deo-d team. Will try to get to 1800 later but the ps ladder sucks too much so ill do it on po after kyurem-b gets banned again.

ou 1700 82 1892 ± 88 (provisional) 22 6 0

Deoxys-Defense @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Pressure
Calm Nature
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Psycho Boost

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire