• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Research Month

dragonuser™

the greatest crisis
yea it is heavily recommended to ladder on po ladder (even with kyu-b, its actually not on too many teams), mainly cuz ps ladder is broken rite now.

Anyways congrats eranu on being the first bronze medalist we have

Soperman

The One and Only
Ok lets start a discussion topic~

Lots of people are choosing Bronzong or Virizion (both do pretty well vs some of Rain's biggest threats), do you think that is the reason they are being picked more than chandelure? Or is there another reason that both Bronzong and Virizion seem more viable? Likewise is there anything you see detracting from Chandelure's usage in the metagame? Anything helping it?

DISCUSS
Chandelure just doesn't have the stats or typing the other two do. Fire is a purely offensive type, while Ghost can sort of do both. Unfortunately, it has neither the Speed nor the Hp or Defenses necessary for its role. And there's the fact that Fire is the worst defensive typing in the game.

Eranu™

Chandelure just needs a little more speed by giving it a scarf for example. It demolishes sun teams and functions as a spin blocker by being able to ohko every spinner in the game. Fire Blast ohko's nearly everything after a Flash Fire boost too.

Chidori__O

serebii username: Chidori__O
Pokemon(s) you plan to use: All three of them (Chandelure, Virizeon and Bronzong)
Ladder alt (remember it needs to be an untouched alt): ChidoriO[Challenge]

I really love being original considering on PO I made it to 1250 with my original team. But I can't get passed that part so I'm hovering there. I just made this new profile. I'm gonna do it on PO (the challenge). Now I just have to make the team...

dragonuser™

the greatest crisis
serebii username: Chidori__O
Pokemon(s) you plan to use: All three of them (Chandelure, Virizeon and Bronzong)
Ladder alt (remember it needs to be an untouched alt): Chidori_O[Challenge]

I really love being original considering on PO I made it to 1250 with my original team. But I can't get passed that part so I'm hovering there. I just made this new profile. I'm gonna do it on PO (the challenge). Now I just have to make the team...

if you have trouble getting to the hall of fame mark feel free to post your team here, asking for critiques/suggestions. Also if you want help with your team cores you can also post them here. Having discussion like that will help EVERY participant as they make their own teams.

Utopian

faults & feats
oh **** i forgot kyu b is unbanned... fuuu. ps ladder sucks tho.

updating! should be at 1100 on PO after 4 battles but WoW is the worst move in the game -_-

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
i'll do it with virizion on ps.
Name: B. Machoore

Chandelure just doesn't have the stats or typing the other two do. Fire is a purely offensive type, while Ghost can sort of do both. Unfortunately, it has neither the Speed nor the Hp or Defenses necessary for its role. And there's the fact that Fire is the worst defensive typing in the game.

Might agree with that if Ice typing weren't 100x worse.

Naoto Shirogane

The Detective Prince
got to 1300 on po ladder with viz on my team with no item too lol

team (pretty much my rmt team with viz over keldoe ll this is easy) :)

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Thunder
- Trick

Salamence (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Gliscor (F) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Sand Veil
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Tyranitar (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sand Stream
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Virizion @ (No Item)
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

trying to get 1400

(20:13:27) ±Porygon: Your rank in Wifi OU is 600/80013 [1318 points / 24 battles]! [currently on now ]

forduschallenge.png

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
so far my team is pretty good. 2-0'd a 1600 something rank person, and would've 5-0'd a 1540 point person if they hadn't quit. currently at 1195 points.

Soperman

The One and Only
oh **** i forgot kyu b is unbanned... fuuu. ps ladder sucks tho.
Kyurem-B is actually not that hard to deal with at all. Almost completely walled by Bronzong and Heatran, and Scarf Chandelure has the potential to out-speed it and KO with Fire Blast. Offensively, Virizon can take any Electric hit and destroy it with Focus Blast/Close Combat.

Klaus™

Banned
i have a team i sometimes ladder with on PS! includes virizion. i got to ~1550(i believe. 1400-1600) on it, but stopped laddering because the damn beta server kept crashing my computer, and i would only get, like, +6 from winning once past the 1400 mark. does that count, lol? heres the team:

Tyranitar @choice scarf
- sand stream -
Jolly
252 atk/ 4 SpD/ 252 speed
- Superpower
- Stone edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit

Politoed @leftovers
- drizzle -
Modest
252 hp/ 252 SpA/ 4 SpD
- Encore
- Hydro pump
- HP Grass
- Ice beam

Virizion @Life Orb
- justified -
116 atk/ 160 SpA/ 232 speed
- Close Combat
- Stone edge
- Giga Drain
- Hp ice

Genesect @choice scarf
- download -
Naive
4 atk/ 252 SpA/ 252 speed
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt/ Thunder
- Ice beam

Jirachi @Expert belt
- serene grace -
Naive
252 atk/ 4 SpA/ 252 speed
- Fire punch
- Ice punch
- Thunder
- Iron head

Gliscor @Flying gem
- sand veil -
Adamant
4 hp/ 252 atk/ 252 speed(or i sometimes try out the bulky-er set with 72 speed evs)
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Swords dance/stealth rock

any comments are welcome. i have found the reason virizion wasnt used and moved to uu: tornadus-t(though thats common knowledge). like i said, does this count? i went under the username: That Crazy Russian, and didnt change anything on the team. laddered today, actually. idk the exact ranking or points, but i was between 1480 and 1550.(yeah, i suck, lol)

Soperman

The One and Only
Just a quick update: Bronzong isn't doing much for my team (if anything, hindering it) so he's leaving. Virizion is staying still.

Phoopes

There it is.
So on my Virizion team, I thought I'd use it in Sand, with a FWG core. So I went with:

SpDTar, CM Virizion, Standard Jelli, SpDTran, Gravity Lando (more useful than you'd think), and Specs Kingdra (for countering Rain).

I've tweaked the team a bit, and gotten up to almost 1100 on PS. Not anything great yet, but I'm thinking I can do a bit better with:

SpDTar, CM Virizion, Standard Jelli, SpD Rachi, Gravity Lando, Rain Dance Mix Kingdra.

Considering changing to CBTar and Scarf Lando, but haven't tested those out yet. Also thinking of going with Scarf Moxie Mence, or another Dragon type like Hydreigon in the last spot. Any thoughts on improving?

Klaus™

Banned
my team is actually an old, old team, from around february-march. revised a little and includes virizion, because i had trouble with a lot of pokes anc voltturn, as well as opposing rain(sometimes). that's why the evs are a little weird. its just enough to always outspeed mienshao, while not wasting any. 160 SpA gives it a good chance to ohko starmie, while taking about 40-50 % from ice beam(psyshock is almost never used). just a little history :p

but yeah, agreed. the star players seem to be a hinderence. virizion on my team just barely stays on because landorus-t, volcarona, voltturn and dragonite are used often enough to warrant it. other than that, he really doesnt do much except as suicide fodder( always a good thing to have on a team)

Chidori__O

I'm still using all three but I mean...it's hard to get pokemon to help balance it while at the same time being original. I've been switching out all 3 of the pokemon while at the same time changing items and movesets of the other 3. I'll show you guys it but just a warning that it'll probably be different since I'm rotating all of them.

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Virizion @ Choice Band
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Zen Headbutt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Chandelure (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Forretress (F) @ Steel Gem
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Bronzong @ Normal Gem
Trait: Heatproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Swagger

Go nuts.

Eaglehawk

Banned
I've started out with Specs Chandelure, which is an amazing wallbreaker under sun, as it even 2HKOs Blissey and Bulky Waters (Chansey's just shy of a 2HKO). With his amazing wallbreaking abilities, I decided to run a Sun Offense team. A rather cliche one, but still a sun team.

Ninetales/Dugtrio/Chandelure/Sawsbuck/Heatran/Forretress.

This team didn't work, as Sawsbuck was the weakest link, as it didn't give me a good pivot against Rain. Lucario, Conk, and Mamoswine shat all over it with priority, and therefore not giving me the mid-game sweep I envisioned. Plus, it didn't synergize well with Heatran, my other sweeper due to fighting-moves weakness. In the end, the executive decision was made to cut Sawsbuck. D:

The next thing I added in place of it was another, more reputable Chloro abuser: Lilligant. Lilligant could pretty much do everything Sawsbuck did, but it had access to Sleep Powder, which helps my team's offense considerably by literally putting one the opponent's Pokemon out of commision. Second, Quiver Dance helps immensely, as it makes it less sun dependent, which is usually a good thing. Also, mine runs the Grass/Rock coverage variant, which fares really well on sun since the two types that wall it, Grass and Steel, are all taken out by teammates, hence opening up a sweep opportunity for Lilligant. I run a more bulky variant for more boosts and to tank water hits better (Specs Politoed's Hydro Pump still hits for 65% damage, but oh well :/ ).

As soon as I slapped it on, I realized how good of a core Lilligant/Heatran/Chandelure is. I'll break it down.
Heatran-Chandelure: My Flame Charge Heatran is walled by two important things: Blissey and Chansey. Chandelure's rediculous Overheat can 2HKO 252 HP/252 Def Bold Blissey and I believe Chansey too. Calcs.
~252 SpAtk Choice Specs Chandelure (+SpAtk) Overheat vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Blissey: 65.69% - 77.45% 2 hits to KO (with Leftovers)
~252 -2 SpAtk Choice Specs Chandelure (+SpAtk) Overheat vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Blissey: 32.91% - 38.8% 3-4 hits to KO (with Leftovers)
~252 SpAtk Choice Specs Chandelure (+SpAtk) Overheat vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Eviolite Chansey: 55.4% - 65.2% 2 hits to KO
~252 -2 SpAtk Choice Specs Chandelure (+SpAtk) Overheat vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Eviolite Chansey: 27.7% - 32.53% 4 hits to KO

Lilligant-Chandelure: Simply put, Chandy does two good synergy numbers with Lilligant. First, as a Fire-type, it removes all of the Steel-types and Grass-types that could possibly impede its sweep. Second, it tanks every possible priority move aimed at hampering its sweep, a point many people overlook. Even with a Bulky Lilligant, priority is the bane to its sweep, notably Bullet Punch, Mach Punch, Extremespeed, and Ice Shard, which all hold residence in the movepools of many OU powerhouses. Chandy resists or is immune to all of these and can deal with all of the major abusers with relative ease.

Lilligant-Heatran: The main sweeper core here, Lilligant takes out bulky waters that resists Heatran's sweep and Heatran does the same with Steel and grass types.

Dugtrio then ties it up with TTar/Heatran killer and HP Ice Forretress finishes as the Dragon resist/killer. Ninetales is just there to look nice and to set sun, and after that it's dead weight. In fact, after they have done their jobs, Dugtrio and Ninetales are the most useless on my team and turn into death fodder first.

Naoto Shirogane

The Detective Prince
Broke 1400 and then the server crashes because a new server called po2 has opened so yeah :/

anyway not going for gold for this team silver is good enough and if it's ok du i want to use a diffrent po name so i ladder with the other 2 pokemon

Phoopes

There it is.
Anyway, the only tweak that I did that I mentioned before was change Gravity Lando to Scarf Lando. It's worked out pretty well... just got back to back 6-0's. Then again, this is PS ladder, so keep that in mind, haha. Anyway, here's the team I have right now.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 192 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Virizion @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Protect
- Wish

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 92 Atk / 252 SAtk / 164 Spd
Mild Nature
- Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor

Currently, I'm thinking about Naught over Naive for Lando, though something like that hasn't mattered so far. I'd appreciate thoughts on that, and the team as a whole. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, that should be importable btw. I always like to do that, in case someone out there's interested.