• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Research Projects on Poni Island! Find the Island Kahuna!! (1047)

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored

p96822

Evolve me please
Wow! This episode was a complete and utter Garbodor poop.

Ash should have cross that fence in the first place. Hapu should have jump the gun like that of attacking him. So both of them at fault here.

I didn't really care for anything else about this episode, so I'll give this episode an D

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
I think he is more interested in completing the trials in Poni Island to wrap up his island challenge instead of working with his classmates to help them with their research projects.

Ash can't do any trials until he finds Tapu Fini and during this search for it he'll probably run into some of classmates take a small detour to help with their research projects.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Ash can't do any trials until he finds Tapu Fini and during this search for it he'll probably run into some of classmates take a small detour to help with their research projects.
I think it's more like that he can't complete his Poni trials because there's no Kahuna in Poni yet. So there's no point for Ash to start his Poni trials.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I like this episode. Solid introduction to Poni Island and setting up what everybody is going to do. Hapu's introduction was solid. She's a bit arrogant but she has the battling power to back it up. Defeating Pikachu with ease sets her up as a tough opponent for later when Ash finally does the Grand Trial, it's the same tactic they used with Nanu when he trashed Lycanroc with ease. Defeating Team Skull in a single hit on the other hand wasn't as impressive, no matter how much they may frame it as such and even have Ash outright state it. Even Lana's Eevee can defeat all three of those Team Skull folks with one hit and send them flying. That said, Team Skull's presence was clearly more of a set up of their own story with Plumeria later on than just trying to use them to make Hapu look impressive, and Hapu being the one to beat them makes more sense since it was her radishes they stole.

Hapu thinking Ash was the thief makes sense. Her radishes were being stolen lately and he was trespassing in the field itself.

Ash reacting to learning there is no Kahuna on Poni Island was very funny. Although it can be a bit questionable he'd be the only one in the dark, they needed someone to not know so they could tell it to the audience in a natural way, and Ash just makes the most sense. I'll just assume Rotom was hogging the TV all the time watching Laki. And Ash not staying down but bouncing right back up with the solution that he'd just do his Grand Trial with Tapu Fini then is so weird, but also so much Ash. Ash has met so many legendaries already the idea of casually visiting one and asking for a favour seems perfectly acceptable to him. And if Hapu wasn't already destined to become Kahuna he'd probably get to realise that plan too.

I also love the humour with Kukui mentioning how proud he is of his students only to immediately backfire with Ash falling in the water.

Last edited:

DatsRight

Being a jerk isn't a flaw, but a bad character trait you either like or hate. That doesn't have anything to do with characters being perfect or not.

Right now I think it really depends how much character development Hapu gets in the upcoming episodes. Right now she's begrudgingly apologetic, but still very full of herself and standoffish, she treats confrontations like supplied beatings and she's a bit too eager to start them without evidence, it's just waiting for the point her temper backfires and she tries to 'punish' someone that can whoop her back.

Basically how sympathetic an egomaniac is depends on whether they get points their ego is taken down a peg.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I'm a little surprised by the amount of criticism of Hapu. People have been stealing her radishes, so of course she would be a little on edge. She caught Ash climbing over the fence into her field. Her assuming he was the radish thief was perfectly understandable. I would probably draw the same conclusion if I were in her shoes.

Also keep in mind what Nurse Joy said about her. She was the only person her age around, so she interacted with—and battled against—only adults. It's not hard to imagine the adults, being adults, patronized her because she is a child, which would only harden her personality. I saw nothing foolish about her character in this episode. She was a farmer defending her livelihood, and she apologized to Ash when she realized she was in the wrong. On top of that, she is the granddaughter of a former Kahuna, so she had top-notch battle instruction. If anything, her back story, as brief as it was, explained a little bit more about her personality.

Overall, I liked this episode. It was a good introduction to Poni Island and nicely set up this island's "arcs" for the other characters. Ash's battle against Hapu cemented her as a tough opponent. Her battle against Team Skull would have been more impressive if it had been against anyone else, but it was a nice show of Musdale's Stamina Ability.

p96822

Evolve me please
I'm a little surprised by the amount of criticism of Hapu. People have been stealing her radishes, so of course she would be a little on edge. She caught Ash climbing over the fence into her field. Her assuming he was the radish thief was perfectly understandable. I would probably draw the same conclusion if I were in her shoes.

Also keep in mind what Nurse Joy said about her. She was the only person her age around, so she interacted with—and battled against—only adults. It's not hard to imagine the adults, being adults, patronized her because she is a child, which would only harden her personality. I saw nothing foolish about her character in this episode. She was a farmer defending her livelihood, and she apologized to Ash when she realized she was in the wrong. On top of that, she is the granddaughter of a former Kahuna, so she had top-notch battle instruction. If anything, her back story, as brief as it was, explained a little bit more about her personality.

Overall, I liked this episode. It was a good introduction to Poni Island and nicely set up this island's "arcs" for the other characters. Ash's battle against Hapu cemented her as a tough opponent. Her battle against Team Skull would have been more impressive if it had been against anyone else, but it was a nice show of Musdale's Stamina Ability.

No! I going to give her criticism because we didn't know her radishes being taking. It just happen out of nowhere and is just there to have to conflict with Ash. If we saw her being on edge in the begining of the episode then it would have been a little bit better. The episode Seed to Believe did this better because we saw Team Rocket stole the Watermelon and have a reason why the character has to be accuse of stealing. If Ash didn't climb the fence in the first place then non of this have to happen

DatsRight

Hapu potentially could be one of few characters in a long while to have that Kanto level of cynicism and insecurities. There's these little hints throughout the episode and the previews that she's not really in control of her own world and it's driving her crazy. Even Team Skull completely brush her off for someone they consider more fearsome despite what should have been a decisive beating, leaving her fuming on the spot.

This could make her an interesting counterpart to Ash if they fully develop on this, since it makes clear from the start of this episode that he's a guy that has learned to take most of his indignities and shortcomings on the chin.

I stand by the belief this could have made a decent episode for Mallow however, sure she's not as careless as Ash, but she'd be driven by her actual goal for once, while also maybe demonstrating it doesn't override her scruples.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
No! I going to give her criticism because we didn't know her radishes being taking. It just happen out of nowhere and is just there to have to conflict with Ash. If we saw her being on edge in the begining of the episode then it would have been a little bit better. The episode Seed to Believe did this better because we saw Team Rocket stole the Watermelon and have a reason why the character has to be accuse of stealing. If Ash didn't climb the fence in the first place then non of this have to happen
The show initially painting a character as petty and unreasonable and only revealing their reason for acting the way they do afterwards does not automatically equal bad storytelling. What they did here is still perfectly valid. There's nothing before the reveal that contradicts the idea that she's concerned over people coming to steal her crops. They clearly just wanted us as audience members to be right there with Satoshi and the others when they wonder why she's so angry with them.

ShadowForce720

a good introductory episode for Hapu, although it's a shame they gave Golurk the spotlight instead of Mudsdale

I also like how Skull attacked Mudsdale with SPECIAL attacks which causes Stamina to boost PHYSICAL defense

Well that's how Stamina works, it doesn't matter if the move is Physical or Special, the only thing that matters is that if Mudsdale gets hit regardless of whether or not it's was hit by a Special or Physical attack it raises it's defense, so I'm not sure why you are surprised when how Stamina works is either common knowledge or easy to look up at this point.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Well that's how Stamina works, it doesn't matter if the move is Physical or Special, the only thing that matters is that if Mudsdale gets hit regardless of whether or not it's was hit by a Special or Physical attack it raises it's defense, so I'm not sure why you are surprised when how Stamina works is either common knowledge or easy to look up at this point.
I think it was more meant in a "they talk up how awesome Stamina is despite *none* of the attacks used actually being affected by that boost" kinda way. Which is true; Stamina or not, Flame Burst will deal the same amount of damage either way, so it was actually completely irrelevant in this situation. If one applies the game rules literally to the show, anyway...

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
ASH KETCHUM

- REMEMBERS CERTAIN POKEMON -
- CANNOT RECALL HIS OWN CHARIZARD WHEN HE SHOULD -
- STILL IN SHOCK LEARNING ALL REGIONAL NURSE JOYS & OFFICER JENNIES HAVE DOUBLES -
- STOLE LILLIE'S PAD -

p96822

Evolve me please
The show initially painting a character as petty and unreasonable and only revealing their reason for acting the way they do afterwards does not automatically equal bad storytelling. What they did here is still perfectly valid. There's nothing before the reveal that contradicts the idea that she's concerned over people coming to steal her crops. They clearly just wanted us as audience members to be right there with Satoshi and the others when they wonder why she's so angry with them.

But this is just for force conflict and nothing else. If Ash didn't climb that fence then non of this would have happen. What I was saying the other episode of there being a reason why they blaming Ash and his friends of taking what was not there's.

Plus in the begining of the episode she give the radishes to the Oricorio and then the next time we see her she is on edge about the crops being stolen. So I'm not gonna give Hapu a past here. If the writer gave more of a reason why she need to protect her crops