• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Research Projects on Poni Island! Find the Island Kahuna!! (1047)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I don't have too much to say about the episode itself, but I do have something to say about Hapu.

I was very surprised to learn that Hapu is a child. I don't know if this was just me or not, but I had always thought Hapu was an adult (a short one, but an adult). In the games she speaks like an old woman and looks like an adult (minus the height). Was anyone else thrown off by this?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I don't have too much to say about the episode itself, but I do have something to say about Hapu.

I was very surprised to learn that Hapu is a child. I don't know if this was just me or not, but I had always thought Hapu was an adult (a short one, but an adult). In the games she speaks like an old woman and looks like an adult (minus the height). Was anyone else thrown off by this?
Nope. She was definitely a child to me. No doubts about that.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member

I assumed that as well, but if you go to her house and talk to her after clearing her trial/beating the game (can't remember which), she says:

The children hailing from other islands sure seem to speak in a most peculiar fashion. My own venerable grandfather is the only one I had to emulate growing up...

The fact she compares herself to children specifically is a good confirmation.

Also the line where she mentions how lovely Lillie was wouldn't be as cute if she were an adult. It'd be kinda creepy.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I assumed that as well, but if you go to her house and talk to her after clearing her trial/beating the game (can't remember which), she says:

The fact she compares herself to children specifically is a good confirmation.

Also the line where she mentions how lovely Lillie was wouldn't be as cute if she were an adult. It'd be kinda creepy.

Guess I just never noticed that. At least I'm not the only one who made the mistake.

Leonhart

Imagineer
So Satoshi finally got to visit Poni Island, although I wish that Kukui-hakase had stayed with the class. I liked how Maamane showed initiative by wanting to evolve his Denjimushi while on the island, and Hapu'u defeating Satoshi was probably a good thing since it now gave him a chance to train his team for a rematch with her.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
It's funny how the trip to Poni Island was supposed to be educational yet Ash spent most of his time doing random things like confronting Team Skull and helping Hapu. Not so much research this time around, more like another mini vacation.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Wow, I can't believe Ash lost to another kahuna. That's two in a row, and if you count Kahunas as gym-leader-tier, this is the first time he's lost to two in a row since Lt. Surge and Sabrina! What a stat!

And wow! This episode packed in a lot more than I expected! The debut of Plumeria?! What an episode #skullarcincoming

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Pikachu taking another lost not too long after its against Zerora triggered me a bit. Pikachu had been on its longest and most impressive undefeated streak (that experience consistency) this generation compared to the last few for a while, up until Zeraora. I passed that off, for reasons, but then it takes another lost not too long after that fight. Sure Golurk is a ground and ghost type (not like Pikachu hasn't done well against types its weak against—see Excadrill), and it was better than to lose in a trial, but I'd rather have let Torracat or Rowlett lose that one. I've just really been lauding this generation for Pikachu's portrayal (having exceeded that of even XY&Z, easily too), outside its battles with Mimikyu and Tapu koko (not like Pikachu lost official battles to them, interruptions and all) but especially with its short-term performance against Buzzwole, but another lost not too long after its previous is worrying me.

Of course that's not what the whole episode is about, and that's not all I have to say about the episode, but that's just what I wanted to say, considering Pikachu's depiction this generation.

It's simple why he didn't use Torracat or Rowlet. They weren't out of their Poké Balls. Only Pikachu was, and there was no formal start to the battle. She just attacked him and he had to immediately defend himself on the spot!!

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
It's simple why he didn't use Torracat or Rowlet. They weren't out of their Poké Balls. Only Pikachu was, and there was no formal start to the battle. She just attacked him and he had to immediately defend himself on the spot!!

He could have simply summoned them, like the million other times he did so going into multiple different type of battles.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
Sometimes I wonder if the Nurse Joy's really do have a giant family tree or if they could be clones? Which one could be more likely and which would be more cool? Oh well, I think it simply falls into the category for "mysteries of the Pokemon world."

Another member of Team Skull appears and she looks serious but they decide to walk away for the time being. What are these suspicious ruffians plotting?