• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Research Projects on Poni Island! Find the Island Kahuna!! (1047)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1047.jpg

Research Projects on Poni Island! Find the Island Kahuna!!

Ash & co. have gone to Poni Island to work on various research projects. However, Ash is eager to complete his Final Grand Trial and decides to look for the Kahuna, but upon learning there isn't one at the moment, he isn't sure what to do. Soon after that, a trainer named Hapu appears and attacks Ash, thinking Ash has stolen some fruit from the field. To top it off, Team Skull has started to appear on the island. Will Ash be able to clear everything up?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Team skull arc ?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Research project? More like Ash getting into trouble with Hapu and facing off against Team Skull. Would have liked Team Skull, especially Plumeria, to appear longer.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Hapu continues to be the least likable character in the series for me. Such a disappointment she is, horrible attitude, stupid stupid stupid design, bad back story... no real skills, just strong pokemon from her grandpa or dad or w.e. Oh well hopefully her screen time will be limited... (wishful thinking).

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
This was a likable episode, hapu seemed more like a spoiled brat with lot of attitude, plumeria made her debut i think the main reason her screentime was less probably because they dont wanted both plumeria and hapu to baatle otherwise one of them could have come as weak, next week episode should be much better with gladion returning and lycannroc vs lycannroc match.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Inb4 people complain about Ash losing to Golurk despite the clay robot being immune to three of four of Pikachu’s moves.

Like I know the anime doesn’t care about that stuff here and there but just being able to use one not-effective move isn’t exactly an ideal situation lol.

Slapstick-Olivia

Sure... Hapu isn't a perfect character, but I'm kinda glad, that the Pokémon anime finally starts to add more characters with flaws. If every character would be a perfect goody two shoe in the Pokémon universe it would be really boring. This is kinda the reason, why X&Y didn't interested me that much. Because everybody in that anime was way to perfect and flawless.

DatsRight

Mostly an exposition heavy episode, though we get a couple introductions.

Looking at this episode and next episode's preview, Hapu looks set to be a 'Napoleon', an insecure character that's resultantly got a bit of a haughty attitude. She even seems offended when Team Skull retreat upon their admin appearing. She looks apologetic when she realises Ash isn't a thief however (I think, I need subs) suggesting she isn't all bad, but she's still giving the cold shoulder right now. Plumeria appears but not much but a teaser right now.

Like the attention to Pokemon interactions, Marowak once again carrying Charjabug, Popplio having to stop Eevee falling into the ocean, Team Skull's Pokemon being afraid to battle Nanu's Mudsdale, etc.

What exactly is Mallow planning to do in Poni by the way? She doesn't appear to have an episode planned yet but she seemed set on something.

Sure... Hapu isn't a perfect character, but I'm kinda glad, that the Pokémon anime finally starts to add more characters with flaws. If every character would be a perfect goody two shoe in the Pokémon universe it would be really boring. This is kinda the reason, why X&Y didn't interested me that much. Because everybody in that anime was way to perfect and flawless.

Same. The first couple of Kahunas being helpful (but eccentric) worked fine, but Nanu and Hapu having attitude problems gives more investment and makes the Alola region feel less revolved around Ash when others have flaws of their own to deal with. It's actually kinda annoying how some of the side characters feel more rounded than some of the companions.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
What exactly is Mallow planning to do in Poni by the way? She doesn't appear to have an episode planned yet but she seemed set on something.
She wants a Poni Island daikon to add to her restaurants menu. That seems pretty easy seeing as it's not like she was accused of stealing her daikon.

DatsRight

She wants a Poni Island daikon to add to her restaurants menu. That seems pretty easy seeing as it's not like she was accused of stealing her daikon.

Actually that's kind of a shame. She could have at least had this episode since her fondness of them could have made her a suspicious target.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Hapu continues to be the least likable character in the series for me. Such a disappointment she is, horrible attitude, stupid stupid stupid design, bad back story... no real skills, just strong pokemon from her grandpa or dad or w.e. Oh well hopefully her screen time will be limited... (wishful thinking).

Which is why I like her. We don't see that many jerks who aren't bad guys or associated with evil factions in this anime.

Still, this episode was just heavy on the exposition.

Inb4 people complain about Ash losing to Golurk despite the clay robot being immune to three of four of Pikachu’s moves.

Like I know the anime doesn’t care about that stuff here and there but just being able to use one not-effective move isn’t exactly an ideal situation lol.

I'm just waiting for the Latios Defense. "Since Ash can take down Tobias' Latios, it means it can take down all intermediates." That's not how real life fighting or game fighting works. FEAR anyone?

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
good episode, it felt quick and to the point as an introduction episode for the arc, and ash was NOT an idiot vs golurk as many thought he'd be due to the preview, however, the interactions against TS were kinda eh (I'll have to watch the ep subbed later to see what plumeria said though). Also, the animation was kinda stiff for the most part (aside from some good character acting), especially high horsepower, which looked horrendous (next ep looks gorgeous though)

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Yay! Best Kahuna's here!

I guess Plumeria was just meant to be a teaser. Not the first time this has happened, though it's gonna be awhile before see her again, I suppose.

...Do daikon grow that long normally?

Hapu continues to be the least likable character in the series for me. Such a disappointment she is,

Continues? This is her first appearance.

horrible attitude,

Which she'll get over. That's how character development works.

stupid stupid stupid design,

Um, Ok?

bad back story...

"My grandfather died and I want to succeed his long-empty title" is bad? Why?

no real skills,

Citation needed.

just strong pokemon from her grandpa or dad or w.e.

Which she can use just fine. A Pokemon can only be so strong without a Trainer.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Yay! Best Kahuna's here!

I guess Plumeria was just meant to be a teaser. Not the first time this has happened, though it's gonna be awhile before see her again, I suppose.

...Do daikon grow that long normally?

Continues? This is her first appearance.

Which she'll get over. That's how character development works.

Um, Ok?

"My grandfather died and I want to succeed his long-empty title" is bad? Why?

Citation needed.

Which she can use just fine. A Pokemon can only be so strong without a Trainer.
lemoncat was probably talking about the franchise in general when saying that hapu is the least likable character