• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Research Projects on Poni Island! Find the Island Kahuna!! (1047)

DatsRight

I don't really remember Hapu being a 'jerk' in the games, just cocksure.

I suppose since SM is implied to be a prequel in places it kinda makes sense she needs to mellow out more here. Besides that she does feel a bit more memorable here at least.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
her VA sounds familiar, anyone know who it is and who else they voice?

Junko Takeuchi. Voiced Naruto, Takuya Kanbara and Gomamon in Digimon, and Red from Pokemon Origins, among others.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Sure... Hapu isn't a perfect character, but I'm kinda glad, that the Pokémon anime finally starts to add more characters with flaws. If every character would be a perfect goody two shoe in the Pokémon universe it would be really boring. This is kinda the reason, why X&Y didn't interested me that much. Because everybody in that anime was way to perfect and flawless.
I usually don’t care for the criticism of XY(Z) but how is every character “perfect and flawless” when several major characters had arcs surrounding their confidence, insecurities, and weak points?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Sooooooo is Hapu a spoiled brat instead of the wise-sounding girl she is in the games? I won't be surprised if she's the first, because this anime just likes making adult Gym Leaders wise while making the younger ones fools (what stereotypes, by the way).

Well, Plumeria exists, but unfortunately, her debut is awful about it. She has less than 50 episodes to make a good impression.

...It's ironic she debuts on the island where she gains important character development in the games.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Wow, Hapu surely had a short temper, targeting Ash twice and she took her time to see that Team Skull were the ones who damaged her fruits. But yay, for not having Ash to take care of Team Skull.

Nice Plumeria 1st appearence, although she just came to pick up the defeated Team Skull trio.

I liked the expressions of the cast and their Pokemons eating the fruits, look very spicy and best part of the episode imo.

Overall, it's an ok Hapu & Plumeria introduction episode. Hopefully, they could improve Hapu's attitude, not really a fan of it after a while.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Rewatched the episode and I’m torn on Hapu’s character. I’m all for characters who have attitudes thanks to some event in their past (Gladion is my favorite character in SM as a whole) but the “jumping to assumptions about MC” part is a trope I’ve always disliked. I did like Ash’s characterization in this episode tho

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Well, this is another dialogue heavy episode, so it will be a while before I say my full opinion.

The Pikachu vs Golurk battle went as expected. (Curb stomp!) Hapu was cute and intimidating.

It's going to take a while before Ash can actually fight Hapu and get the crystal, that's for sure and while Plumeria hardly did anything in the episode, this is just an introduction. She shows up to call the numb skulls home.

Meh, it's an introduction to the Poni Island Arc and it did its job well enough. 4/10... though that is going to change once the english subs come along.

Edit time!

I liked how Hapu was given a back story and I liked how each of the class mates told us what they are doing for the Poni Island Arc... except for Lillie who was having memories of her first time on the island. (I also liked the call back.)

Practically everyone was telling Ash that going against a Golurk was a bad idea and it showed. (Disadvantage for days!)

Everything I said is still in place and I didn't really mind the comedy in this episode as it is a reaction to being over excited and being let down. (Except for Ash falling in the water by accident. How the hell do you do that other than running so fast that you slip?!)

TS didn't do a whole lot besides get kicked and Plumeria showing up to foreshadow. (I liked how Salandit was making it clear that fighting Mudsdale was a BAD idea.)

The best highlight of all was best girl Lana getting an image of Relicanth and trolling everything into thinking she caught something.
Updated now to be a 6/10. It is an introduction episode and it did its job.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 384931

Interesting to note that she already has her Z-ring and crystal

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
Gorls you all are forgetting that Hapu grew pretty much isolated from contact with other kids, at least in the games

She only had her grandparents as well as Seafolk Village Joy and the manager at the restaurant. Of course her attitude to same-age peers would be awkward. Give her time.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Gorls you all are forgetting that Hapu grew pretty much isolated from contact with other kids, at least in the games

She only had her grandparents as well as Seafolk Village Joy and the manager at the restaurant. Of course her attitude to same-age peers would be awkward. Give her time.
Not a good explanation. In the games, Hapu clearly moves around the islands. Of course she interacted with others.

Alas, anime!Acerola teased everyone riding her...own Mudsdale.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Obviously, they're going to be doing the research projects. Just not for this episode.
Wait and see but I think Ash will go straight into his Poni trials while everyone else does their research projects.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Actually, his Poni trials ARE his research project. He said so himself.
Once Hapu becomes Kahuna I guess. I don't think Ash will get anything done for now.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Sure... Hapu isn't a perfect character, but I'm kinda glad, that the Pokémon anime finally starts to add more characters with flaws. If every character would be a perfect goody two shoe in the Pokémon universe it would be really boring. This is kinda the reason, why X&Y didn't interested me that much. Because everybody in that anime was way to perfect and flawless.

Being a jerk isn't a flaw, but a bad character trait you either like or hate. That doesn't have anything to do with characters being perfect or not.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Junko Takeuchi. Voiced Naruto, Takuya Kanbara and Gomamon in Digimon, and Red from Pokemon Origins, among others.

Well, that answers the age old question of whether Red will win against Ash in a battle.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
He'll probably get involved with his classmates research projects while he looks for Tapu Fini.
I think he is more interested in completing the trials in Poni Island to wrap up his island challenge instead of working with his classmates to help them with their research projects.

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
Not a good explanation. In the games, Hapu clearly moves around the islands. Of course she interacted with others.

Alas, anime!Acerola teased everyone riding her...own Mudsdale.

Yes, alone, only with her Pokémon by her side. That's why she speaks in an old-fashioned way, she mimicked her grandparents' style and mannerisms because they were her only "role models". Did you even play the games or you just pet and do weird things with your Lucario?

Story's a bit different in the anime, but her attitude is due to the same background