• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Retro Console Wars

jacobii

Third Wheel in J#+IB
Everything said about the war against PS3 and Xbox 360 (My Nintendo Fanboyism doesn't allow me to favor either of those) has been said, so now you get to relive the days of almost destroying your cousin's sega genesis after your very heated argument.

So....

Gamecube, PS2, or Xbox?

N64, Dreamcast, or PS1?

SNES, Genesis, or Turbo Grafix 16?

Chris

Old Coot
Everything said about the war against PS3 and Xbox 360 (My Nintendo Fanboyism doesn't allow me to favor either of those) has been said, so now you get to relive the days of almost destroying your cousin's sega genesis after your very heated argument.

So....

Gamecube, PS2, or Xbox?

N64, Dreamcast, or PS1?

SNES, Genesis, or Turbo Grafix 16?
I do believe you forgot the Saturn.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
I do believe you forgot the Saturn.

Shouldn't it be the Saturn instead of the Dreamcast, though? Considering the Saturn was originally meant to compete with those two, and the Dreamcast was much like the Wii U looks like?

Chris

Old Coot
Technically, Sega always released something to compete with the current gen.

When Master System wasn't cutting it against the NES (except in Europe and Brazil), they released the Genesis/Mega Drive to compete against the NES. When Nintendo shifted to SNES, Sega shifted its target to the SNES with the Genesis. Same results with the Dreamcast when Saturn wasn't cutting it against the N64 and PlayStation (outside of Japan, it only competed against the PlayStation in Japan as the N64 was trailing in third place there). As Sony was prepping the PS2, Sega shifted its target to the PS2. Unfortunately, that and the eventual releases of the GameCube and Xbox were too much for it.

jacobii

Third Wheel in J#+IB
Technically, Sega always released something to compete with the current gen.

When Master System wasn't cutting it against the NES (except in Europe and Brazil), they released the Genesis/Mega Drive to compete against the NES. When Nintendo shifted to SNES, Sega shifted its target to the SNES with the Genesis. Same results with the Dreamcast when Saturn wasn't cutting it against the N64 and PlayStation (outside of Japan, it only competed against the PlayStation in Japan as the N64 was trailing in third place there). As Sony was prepping the PS2, Sega shifted its target to the PS2. Unfortunately, that and the eventual releases of the GameCube and Xbox were too much for it.

The older console wars are too confusing to keep up with. I alsmost put Atari Jaguar instead of Turbo Grafix 16 for the SNES generation.

Chris

Old Coot
Well technically, the Turbo Grafx-16 was out at the same time the Genesis was. So it ended up turning into NES vs TG-16 vs Genesis, which later upgraded to NES vs TG-16 vs Genesis.

Speaking of, the Sega CD's also confusing. Sega of Japan made it to compete against the TG-16, since it was a thriving platform there. But since it wasn't outside of Japan, that left Sega of America and Europe to try marketing it toward the SNES.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
looking back on the roster of games it had, I can't help thinking how much of a sadly overlooked console the PC-Engine/Turbo Grafix 16 was outside of Japan. Quite a shame, but then, I think it could probably be blamed on being released too late in the west (since, despite its name, it's more like an 8-bit console at heart), along with poor marketing. The only ads I really recall seeing for it as a kid were magazine pages depicting Bonk.

On another note, the NES was supposedly marketed specifically as a "toy" to disassociate its status as a video game system after the 1983 crash (thus the reason for R.O.B. the robot). But with that being the case, does anyone find it ironic that they ditched the Famicom's white and red color scheme for a gray and black one? I dunno, I get the feeling that bright colors would appeal more to kids and come off even more as a "toy" as a result.

Moneyy

INACTIVE
I'd say N64 and Gamecube. Now I mainly play the PS3 over the Wii, though.