• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Returning Features from Gen 7 Speculation

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Although if they do have ride Pokemon again which I'm pretty sure they will I hope they use other Pokemon. For instance, one thing I like about the anime is how the one character has a Metang as a Pokeride so maybe Metang can be used for soaring/flying.

Catching specific pokemon and having to put them in the pokeride would work! They'd still be your pokemon, but you'd be putting them into the pokeride so that it doesn't break the six pokemon law but it still feels personal because you actually caught them and could raise them if you wanted

Orphalesion

Catching specific pokemon and having to put them in the pokeride would work! They'd still be your pokemon, but you'd be putting them into the pokeride so that it doesn't break the six pokemon law but it still feels personal because you actually caught them and could raise them if you wanted

So you'd have to catch specific Pokemon (because, no, they wouldn't go through the effort of making those animations for every Pokemon that could,t heoretically learn them) and then "put them in Pokeride" and never use them except for the ride?

Blergh...that's way too much effort imho. I'm fine with whatever ride Pokemon they give us, after all it's just a way to get around the world that's a bit more Pokemon-related than using vehicles or tools.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I wouldn't mind if Festival Plaza came back, but I think that's Alola exclusive. Same with the Photo Club. I could see Poke Ride becoming a standard feature though. ^^

I'd personally rather the overworld moves just maintain their functions without being HMs. If Game Freak continue to design regions so that the use of these moves are not mandatory, such as in Unova, it shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, since all pokemon now have fully fleshed out overworld models, they are also going to have to regulate who gets to use these moves. Obviously, Pidgey should not be using Fly.

M.P.

Retired
Beyond that I would love to see the return of Triple Battles, they really added a new strategy element to the gameplay, and made it much more competitive, because you could essentially have more defined roles in a team on the field, such as Clerics and Tanks.

I reckon they'll bring them back, Switch should be able to handle them better than 3DS.

I really don't mind fishing mechanics too much one way or the other, although I do like the Alola way of just going up to the fishing spot and immediately being able to start fishing with A, while in other games you'd first have to go to the bag to register the fishing rod and then when you're done fishing you had to go back to the bag and register the bike again. That was always a bit of a hassle.

I wouldn't mind them keeping that part of Gen VII mechanics, it was handy indeed. But if they keep the Gen VII mechanics they should increase the encounter rates of non-Magikarp Pokemon. I don't want to run in and out of areas again just to have a chance to get something other than Magikarp.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Objectively wrong and lore-breaking are probably not the right terms to use. Certainly there's no lore being broken, and I can only see it being subjectively right or wrong
Except that the theme of the franchise has always been getting to explore the world thanks to your Pokemon, and thus having to use other people's Pokemon that have no connection to the player whatsoever for exploration has no place in a main series Pokemon game.
Keep in mind that I do understand the complaints about HMs taking up moveslots, but throwing the worldbuilding and lore out of the window just for convenience certainly isn't going to be plausible. Even when X/Y came out, I heard people complaining about not being able to ride their own Rhyhorn/Skiddo/Mamoswine. Switch is far more powerful than 3DS, so I can't see why it can't possibly implement models for every Pokemon that can carry the player. The only solution to the HM problem that does not feel wrong in the context of the franchise is making the HMs more like field abilities (i.e. without taking up moveslots) and still having the players use their own Pokemon. Soaring in OR/AS was definitely a step in the right direction, because you were using Lati@s you owned and had saved from the evil team, and if they make Poke Ride more similiar to it, it will be simply epic.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Except that the theme of the franchise has always been getting to explore the world thanks to your Pokemon, and thus having to use other people's Pokemon that have no connection to the player whatsoever for exploration has no place in a main series Pokemon game.
Keep in mind that I do understand the complaints about HMs taking up moveslots, but throwing the worldbuilding and lore out of the window just for convenience certainly isn't going to be plausible. Even when X/Y came out, I heard people complaining about not being able to ride their own Rhyhorn/Skiddo/Mamoswine. Switch is far more powerful than 3DS, so I can't see why it can't possibly implement models for every Pokemon that can carry the player. The only solution to the HM problem that does not feel wrong in the context of the franchise is making the HMs more like field abilities (i.e. without taking up moveslots) and still having the players use their own Pokemon. Soaring in OR/AS was definitely a step in the right direction, because you were using Lati@s you owned and had saved from the evil team, and if they make Poke Ride more similiar to it, it will be simply epic.

I mean you do bond with the ride Pokemon such as the Tauros in the beginning for example so it's not really a random Tauros (don't remember the others...I do think Stoutland was another Pokemon you bonded with too at least).

Orphalesion

Lots of words

I can tell you that none of the HM slaves I used in any Pokemon game, including the surf slave I used in Y (Oh yes, I "dare" not having a Water Pokemon #SoUnbalancedOMG :rolleyes:), did feel like "my" Pokemon. They just felt like some tools I was forced to catch and frequently had to get out of storage due to the game not allowing me to progress otherwise.
In a game like Pokemon where there's such an emphasis on the player being able to decide which characters they play with, anything that forces a smaller set of options is, imho, sub-optimal.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod

The theme of the franchise has been "Become the Pokemon League Champion"

Keep in mind that I do understand the complaints about HMs taking up moveslots, but throwing the worldbuilding and lore out of the window just for convenience certainly isn't going to be plausible.

They explain the feature in the game, thus, it is in-lore.

Even when X/Y came out, I heard people complaining about not being able to ride their own Rhyhorn/Skiddo/Mamoswine. Switch is far more powerful than 3DS, so I can't see why it can't possibly implement models for every Pokemon that can carry the player. The only solution to the HM problem that does not feel wrong in the context of the franchise is making the HMs more like field abilities (i.e. without taking up moveslots) and still having the players use their own Pokemon. Soaring in OR/AS was definitely a step in the right direction, because you were using Lati@s you owned and had saved from the evil team, and if they make Poke Ride more similiar to it, it will be simply epic.

Are you going to pay to fund all that? Console power as nothing to do with it, it takes a lot of time for something that ultimately doesn't really matter for most people.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian

I think you're just taking it way too seriously. I mean, you still use your own pokémon to defeat trainers and wild pokémon and stuff. At least with the ride pokémon system it sort of makes sense how everyone else travels around. It still makes no sense in for instance Sinnoh how these people actually get around if you can't even travel from one town to the next without the same tree blocking the road regrowing every minute. It makes no sense why my character can't just walk around a stupid tree, or just climb over a rock or something. Using HMs to clear obstacles is not exploring. They're just obstacles that seal off areas you haven't unlocked yet, only even after you've unlocked the area you're still forced to adapt your team just to get past the tree every single time.

Ultra Beast Lover

I can tell you that none of the HM slaves I used in any Pokemon game, including the surf slave I used in Y (Oh yes, I "dare" not having a Water Pokemon #SoUnbalancedOMG :rolleyes:), did feel like "my" Pokemon. They just felt like some tools I was forced to catch and frequently had to get out of storage due to the game not allowing me to progress otherwise.
In a game like Pokemon where there's such an emphasis on the player being able to decide which characters they play with, anything that forces a smaller set of options is, imho, sub-optimal.
Agreed, I mean that's why we call them HM Slaves and not little helpers. That's why I love Ride Pokemon, I don't want to drag around some weak Pokemon that shouldn't even be on the journey to begin with because I need that tree cut down or I need to fly somewhere. With Ride Pokemon I don't have to feel bad about putting them through the works because this is their job that at least most of them were trained for.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Hopefully Ride Pokémon and Hyper Training returns. Don't have high hopes on the Poke Pelago returning as it made it very convenient to hatch eggs and bulk EV train Pokémon as it seems heavily tied to Alola culture.

Ultra Beast Lover

If anything I hope some version of Poke Pelago returns, like I said before this'll allow the boxed mons to have some use and allows us not to feel so bad that we just boxed all of these Pokemon some probably right after birth. It can be a simulation, a far off berry farm, a camp I don't care.

Orphalesion

When Pokemonamie's name was too tied to Kalos they changed it to Pokemon Refresh in Sun/Moon so I can imagine them giving us a revamped version of Poke Pelago, something like Poke Village or Poke Ranch, or Poke Camp, or Poke Resort....

Ultra Beast Lover

When Pokemonamie's name was too tied to Kalos they changed it to Pokemon Refresh in Sun/Moon so I can imagine them giving us a revamped version of Poke Pelago, something like Poke Village or Poke Ranch, or Poke Camp, or Poke Resort....
Oh hey didn't someone own a Poke Ranch on I think the wii? They could bring that into play

Orphalesion

Oh hey didn't someone own a Poke Ranch on I think the wii? They could bring that into play

Probably, I don't pay a lot of attention to the side-games, so I wouldn't know for sure ;-) But yeah it's a good name, since Ranches kinda imply everything you could do on Poke Pelago (farming berries, hatch eggs, explore) and if there's a connection to something that came before, even better. Irrc Prof Kukui's wife appeared in a side game before Sun and Moon as well.

Ultra Beast Lover

Probably, I don't pay a lot of attention to the side-games, so I wouldn't know for sure ;-) But yeah it's a good name, since Ranches kinda imply everything you could do on Poke Pelago (farming berries, hatch eggs, explore) and if there's a connection to something that came before, even better. Irrc Prof Kukui's wife appeared in a side game before Sun and Moon as well.
Ah that's right she did. Ok I looked it up and My Pokemon Ranch was essentially just a PC storage for DPP like how Burnnet's thing was just a side mode for B2W2. It apparently recieved negative reviews. Oh well, the main person of the game was Hayley so we might want to keep an eye out for that name

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I mean you do bond with the ride Pokemon such as the Tauros in the beginning for example so it's not really a random Tauros (don't remember the others...I do think Stoutland was another Pokemon you bonded with too at least).
Well, this just means that partucular Tauros bonds with dozens of other trainers, too, meaning that he is never going to have a real, true bond with you.
I think you're just taking it way too seriously. I mean, you still use your own pokémon to defeat trainers and wild pokémon and stuff. At least with the ride pokémon system it sort of makes sense how everyone else travels around. It still makes no sense in for instance Sinnoh how these people actually get around if you can't even travel from one town to the next without the same tree blocking the road regrowing every minute. It makes no sense why my character can't just walk around a stupid tree, or just climb over a rock or something. Using HMs to clear obstacles is not exploring. They're just obstacles that seal off areas you haven't unlocked yet, only even after you've unlocked the area you're still forced to adapt your team just to get past the tree every single time.
Yes, because restricting your own Pokemon to just battling and having no right to use them for navigation is brilliant.

Grey Wind

None of your Pokemon are going to have a real, true bond with you because it's a video game. It's fun to get immersed in it and all but that shouldn't come at the cost of playability. I think you're gonna have to accept that you're in a minority that takes the games more seriously.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Yes, because restricting your own Pokemon to just battling and having no right to use them for navigation is brilliant.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here. If you're just going to reply with sarcasm I have no intention of continuing this debate. I think it's best to just leave it here. We've wasted enough posts on this subject I feel like and everything that needed to be said has been said.