• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Returning Features from Gen 7 Speculation

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Generation 7 introduced many new features, including the Festival Plaza, Poke Pelago, the Poke Finder, SOS Battles, Poke Ride, the Alola Photo Club, and Hyper Training. What Generation 7 features do you think should be standard features in the series, and what features do you think will be Alola exclusives?

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I wouldn't mind if Festival Plaza came back, but I think that's Alola exclusive. Same with the Photo Club. I could see Poke Ride becoming a standard feature though. ^^

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Out of the new features the only ones I’d want to see again are Poke Pelago and Hyper Training. I think the latter is guaranteed to stay. Pelago was extremely useful with item farming, EV training and growing berries. I use it all the time. Hyper Training was good as it made some of my imperfect shinies useable when they wouldn’t have been otherwise. The one thing I’d change however is the Lv100 requirement which was ridiculously tedious with the slow grinding process. Maybe make it Lv50 instead as that’s the standard level used for online battling.

For things that should remain in Gen7 I’d say the Plaza and SOS battles. The Plaza just wasn’t as good as the PSS and relied on communicating with other players to be even remotely useful but even then that relied on being lucky enough for someone with a good attraction to visit in the first place. Not to mention being forced to go to this one area just to connect online was a huge step back from the PSS where you could do anything while being connected. If they brought it back but as an extra feature separate from online activity (similar to Join Avenue) I’d be happy with that, but not as the mandatory way to go online.

SOS battles I NEVER want to see again. I hate them, easily the worst part of Gen7. They made catching Pokémon far more frustrating than it needed to be and they just drag on battles needlessly. Yes, status can be used to stop them but why should I be forced to carry such moves just to avoid having to deal with the repeated calling for help? Not to mention that the calling for help can fail which is just a huge waste of time. I’d take horde battles back any day of the week.

SleepingGiant

Discord mod (Sudo)
+1 to SOS battles being awful. I would also say Horde battles were awful too. Adding more pokemon on screen doesn't necessarily correlate to more fun.

Festival Plaza gave us a way to level up pokemon very quickly. Also, it gave us easy shortcut buttons for EV training and there were at least attempts made to improve other aspects of the game that aren't as effective though you can tell they tried. One of the major failures of the plaza was the lack of communication. Without online sources with access to datamined material, we would never learn about any of the more awesome features about it. In general, GF and TPC are pretty bad at communicating the features of their games. People liked Pelago because it's explained well. They like Hypertraining because it's simple. PSS because it does one specific job well rather than stacking a bunch of random other features on top of it. People like features they can understand and hate features that are confusing. But once you get passed the confusing parts of the Plaza, it's got a handful of really nifty tools.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think Poke Ride is probably staying simply because there's been a ton of complaints about HMs. The rest are probably going because region exclusivity. And honestly I wouldn't care if most of them did.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Im gonna say update our PokeDex so it actually functions like it seems like it should.
-Scan wild Pokemon in battle to determine type, and moves known, ability, etc (and eventually Nature and maybe IVs)
-make it so that the more you capture a certain species, or the more you level a certain species the more you know about them (BST, record all moves and lvls, how to evolve, possible abilities etc.)
-Bring back Dex nav features like scanning for Pokemon with HA and egg moves
-As well as being able to pull up the route/location
and know which Pokemon appear in it.
This thread is about new features. This thread is about the various features introduced in Gen 7 and whether or not you want them to return.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Hyper Training will likely return as well in some fashion, since it has unique consumables for it.

SOS Battles will obviously replaced with a new wild encounter method, considering SOS battles themselves are based off Horde Battles, which were based off Wild Double Battles. Maybe something like Reinforcement Battles, so when you faint a dude, you will see more reinforcements. In such a case, running away might be the only option to end the fight, for example.

Poké Finder can be a recurring idea, actually, but that depends on how they will expand it.

As for new mechanics, I'm expecting something a Nature variant of Super/Hyper Training that would allow to change the stat bias without changing the actual Nature.

M.P.

Retired
Poke Ride better return. Now that HMs are finally gone, I don't ever want to see them in a Pokemon game again. I also would like to see Poke Pelago back.

Meanwhile, I really hope SOS Battles and Sun/Moon fishing mechanics get axed. Gen I-VI fishing mechanics were much better.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I really don't mind fishing mechanics too much one way or the other, although I do like the Alola way of just going up to the fishing spot and immediately being able to start fishing with A, while in other games you'd first have to go to the bag to register the fishing rod and then when you're done fishing you had to go back to the bag and register the bike again. That was always a bit of a hassle.

SOS battles I don't mind either. It's a fairly reliable and good way to get hidden abilities. If you want a certain pokémon with its hidden ability you can go there, chain it, and then catch it.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I would definitely like Hyper Training and although not as likely, Poké Pelago, to come back. Because Hyper Training made it easier to get Pokémon with stats that are treated like max IVs and allowed Hidden Power Pokémon to get maximum stats in IVs of stats that would have to be an even number to allow for a specific Hidden Power type. Poké Pelago was a great way to increase friendship, level up and to get items without touching the game much. Although Festival Plaza was great for farming Bottle Caps for Hyper Training and levelling up quickly with the Rare Kitchens but other than that it was inconvenient that you couldn't allow you to go online while being in the overworld so it was hard to Wonder Trade breedjects.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I just want the National Dex in the game. That's still on the top of my wishlist.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Saying goodbye to SOS battles would be a blessing. I would LOVE if they chose how YOU want to have battles most of the time, like you could select one, two, or three pokemon to be on guard with you so that whenever you have a pokemon battle it'll always be in the format you choose, unless whoever you're battling only has one or two, in which it would default to one of those.

If they saved SOS battles for ONLY when you use an adrenaline orb, that'd be nice for control. And then sweet scent could guarantee horde battles, just so they don't have to do away with all their new features, even though they will.

As for HMs/PokeRide, I'd rather it be that you unlock certain items. As in, any pokemon with sharp claws, etc., can use the Cut function in the overworld, but you would first have to get the proper special item (ie. sharpening tool or something like that). For the tauros-like pokemon, you could get some sort of rocky helmet that allows certain pokemon to break through rocks. I'd love to actually use my own pokemon in the overworld, and I don't want to give up a moveslot for silly HMs. I think special items would be the best.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
As for HMs/PokeRide, I'd rather it be that you unlock certain items. As in, any pokemon with sharp claws, etc., can use the Cut function in the overworld, but you would first have to get the proper special item (ie. sharpening tool or something like that). For the tauros-like pokemon, you could get some sort of rocky helmet that allows certain pokemon to break through rocks. I'd love to actually use my own pokemon in the overworld, and I don't want to give up a moveslot for silly HMs. I think special items would be the best.

I don't want that. I don't want to be hindered by not having the right pokémon with me at the right time just for travelling around. It's just my opinion, but I feel like if you're bringing back dependency to your party for travelling you'd be going backwards. I love the fact that in Alola I don't need to first go to a pokémon centre somewhere, withdraw a flying type, then go outside, and then go fly just to go somewhere else.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I hope a new version of Poké Pelago returns along with regional variants and SOS calling with a few tweaks. Poké Pelago is the best new thing from Gen 7 and I felt less guilty putting Pokémon into the PC Box.

Red and Blue

I'd be fine without a National Dex. It means I can get the shiny charm by just catching 300/400 Pokemon instead of all of them

SleepingGiant

Discord mod (Sudo)
Remember, they can have the requirements for the Shiny Charm remain a regional dex while also having a national dex. The issue would be what would be the reward for completing the national dex. I think USUM hit the gold by having an outfit unlocked by completing the dex. Ideal in my opinion would be to have Shiny Charm be unlocked by regional dex and a special outfit unlocked by national dex.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod

I don't want that. I don't want to be hindered by not having the right pokémon with me at the right time just for travelling around. It's just my opinion, but I feel like if you're bringing back dependency to your party for travelling you'd be going backwards. I love the fact that in Alola I don't need to first go to a pokémon centre somewhere, withdraw a flying type, then go outside, and then go fly just to go somewhere else.

The Ride Pager was a godsend for the series and should definitely remain, I do not want to go back to needing HMs or other specific moves on a Pokemon in your party.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
I would like to see something like Poke Pelago back since I found it quite useful and fun to use especially when it comes to breeding. Poke Rides being around would be also nice since I always hated HMs. What I really loathe and don't want to see back are Festival Plaza and SOS battles. VS Seeker and Horde battles were better respectively.

Harmonie

♫ Ad vivere
SOS battles were a disaster. They made catching and/or training Pokemon a pain the rear. I don't care to see them return at all.

I suppose Poke Ride was good for helping with the HM problem, but I didn't like how it was automatically set to one and only one Pokemon which was to no one's surprise mostly generation I Pokemon. =/ At the end of the day the feature just felt very impersonal. I'll give GameFreak credit for trying to address the issue, but still think it could be done better.

National Dex needs to return. Absolutely no excuse. The lack of the National Dex was honestly the straw the broke the camel's back for me. When I saw that wasn't in S/M, they sunk to the very bottom of my Pokemon games list for me. The game even has a QR feature that lets you see non-Alola Pokemon... But "seeing" these Pokemon does absolutely nothing as they are not registered anywhere because of the lack of National Dex. This was really, really, really dumb. I can't even believe GF actually went through with it.

Story-mode characters having EV/IV trained Pokemon really either needs to go OR needs to be put in a higher difficulty mode. Being expected to competitively train Pokemon for all of us just wanting to play through the main game is just ridiculous. As I said, if they did difficulty modes and did this for the most difficult mode or whatever than I am fine with it. However, I am not competitive. I do not have the time nor do I have the care to go through the tedious methods that competitive training requires. So, no Pokemon game should ever expect that.

I just don't know what the heck even happened with Generation VII to be honest. I hope that Generation VIII is better. I really hope.

SleepingGiant

Discord mod (Sudo)
They never expected you to EV/IV your pokemon for the story. It was just to add to the difficulty. People have been complaining about the series getting super easy (even though "hard mode" is just a matter of turning off EXP share). It's just an accessibility thing. Players don't want to be told they are playing "easy mode", so they used the name "EXP Share" instead of "easy mode". Instead of fixing this miscommunication, they gave opponents actually good pokemon (what a difference that made lol). Basically what you are really asking for is to have the NPC's go back to using crappy pokemon.