• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Returning Trainers from Past Games

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
In Gen 7, the Battle Tree featured returning trainers from past games as bosses. I feel this feature alone cemented Gen 7's Battle Tree as one of the best and more interesting post-games the Pokemon series has to offer and has been compared to Gen 5's PWT which also has returning legendary trainers. I can still remember how people were blown away when the SM trailer revealed Red & Green (Rival) returning as adults. Fans were psyched to see fan-favorites such as Colress, Cynthia or Wally but there were some surprises that fans definitely weren't expecting. You had Grimsley of the Unova Elite Four whose gambling habits landed him from a rich man to a penniless man. You had Dexio & Sina who were sent from Kalos to research Zygarde's appearance in the Alola region. However one that really took fans by surprise was an adult Anabel who hasn't been seen since Pokemon Emerald and Emerald fans were surprised how she progressed from the Salon Maiden of the Battle Tower to an agent of the International Police and I think that's another thing why fans just love about these returning trainers. You can feel a sense of progression in their lives. Colress is currently studying Necrozma, Grimsley is now poor, Anabel is now part of the Interpol etc.

However this thread isn't just limited to trainers returning in post-game facilities. There are also trainers who returned in other ways such as Giovanni who played a major role in a story event in Johto, Gym Leader Jasmine's cameo in the Sinnoh region or how one NPC mentioned Green (Rival) studying in the Kalos region. As far as I know, every generation has at least featured a returning trainer in some form and I feel that the Galar region will be no different. I don't know about you guys but considering that Galar has a heavier focus on trains, I can see a pair of Subway Bosses making a return.

With that being said, discuss the possibilities of returning trainers from past games making an appearance or an mention in the Galar region!

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I could see Lance and Brock showing up in some way, maybe to find out more about Galar Pokemon. It would be cool if Professor Oak showed up too.

Ultra Beast Lover

Shauna said she was going to go to another region but we never saw her in Alola, I don't think she was even in the Battle Tree. This means that either the staff forgot her or she's supposed to return in Galar, or maybe she just said that so we wouldn't kick her off of our lawn (I prefer this one)

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Shauna said she was going to go to another region but we never saw her in Alola, I don't think she was even in the Battle Tree. This means that either the staff forgot her or she's supposed to return in Galar, or maybe she just said that so we wouldn't kick her off of our lawn (I prefer this one)
Maybe. Wouldn't mind seeing her again, if she grew up a bit emotionally.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I think Shauna is probably up there due to her leaving Kalos for another region, I'd love it if Wikstrom showed up as well. Due to his attire and the theme of these games.

I hope Gladion returns too, would be a nice way to give third Null a home

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I think Shauna is probably up there due to her leaving Kalos for another region, I'd love it if Wikstrom showed up as well. Due to his attire and the theme of these games.

I hope Gladion returns too, would be a nice way to give third Null a home
But she could have went to any of the other regions. no? :eek:

shoz999

You know what would be kind of funny but also an interesting return. If the Pokemon Professor of the Galar Region turned out instead to be Trevor in his teens or in his adult years, the whiz kid who wants to complete the Pokedex. Wouldn't that be an awesome major return? Would make a lot of fans look at a okay rival in a new light. Still possible for more than one Pokemon researcher to appear though so I suppose it's not that far off. You know what the funny part is though lol, what would Trevor look like as an adult with or without that hairstyle lol.

Kingudora

My favourite
Honestly, I could see Fantina making an appearance in SwSh.

It is implied in DPPt that she comes from another region than Sinnoh, which is why she is speaking in broken english. However, in the Japanese and French versions of the games, it is implied she comes from an English speaking region. So maybe she is from Galar?

shoz999

Honestly, I could see Fantina making an appearance in SwSh.

It is implied in DPPt that she comes from another region than Sinnoh, which is why she is speaking in broken english. However, in the Japanese and French versions of the games, it is implied she comes from an English speaking region. So maybe she is from Galar?
That would be a nice way to hint Sinnoh remakes. Speaking of trainer returning grown up, about Shauna. What do you guys think her hairstyle will look like when she's an teen or adult. For example, Anabel originally had short hair but as an adult she grew it longer into a ponytail. You think she'd keep the older hairstyle or she'll ditch it for a longer or shorter hairstyle?

shoz999

Here's an interesting thought. How do you succeed the Red & Green (Rival) hype of SM? You bring in Battle Legends Gold, Silver & Krys or as some of you may canonically know as Ethan & Lyra.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I don’t care about anyone else, I just want N to (finally) reappear. The culture of Galar could offer some good conservation- even if he has developed out of that mindset- but most importantly, there’s a literal big sparkly ferris wheel. Passing over that golden opportunity would be worse than Dexit ngl.

Gladion would be cool; I think he’s the most likely Alola rep. Like mentioned, it’s a cause for a free third Null and vague updates on Shillie & co. Shauna, Wikstrom, and Drasna are also Kalos characters I could see benefiting from cameos, as the latter two especially got absolutely nothing in XY.

DannyDark

Hopefully none of the Kalos bunch of kids make it back in..

I don't know, there's none that I'd be dying to see.. I would have liked to see Giovanni or Cyrus make a grand return, in a serious capacity; unfortunately they were somewhat wasted/tarnished with the Rainbow Rocket mess in USUM.

Cyrus I'm still hopeful for.. as he was one of the few villains who wasn't outright defeated nor did he have a change of heart.. meaning, canonically, he is still out there plotting from within the Distortion World, unless he escaped.