• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Returning Trainers from Past Games

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Do they give her a backstory or maybe tell us what happens afterwards?
Adventures Sun & Moon hasn't finished yet but so far from what I've seen, Zossie is a very optimistic girl who loves to learn new stuff about Alola and the Pokemon world on the other side with it which is actually pretty funny because what most common and ordinary things that most people are so used to in the Pokemon world, including us the player, Zossie finds it new and exciting because basic overlooked stuff like an ordinary Pokeball originally don't exist in Ultra Space.

Ultra Beast Lover

Adventures Sun & Moon hasn't finished yet but so far from what I've seen, Zossie is a very optimistic girl who loves to learn new stuff about Alola and the Pokemon world on the other side with it which is actually pretty funny because what most common and ordinary things that most people are so used to in the Pokemon world, including us the player, Zossie finds it new and exciting because basic overlooked stuff like an ordinary Pokeball originally don't exist in Ultra Space.
Interesting, gonna have to see if I can find it

shoz999

Barry and Dawn.
Even better. Why not the whole DPPt trio together? One of the things I loved about Pokemon Adventures is how it not only explored their characters but their friendship as well. I think it would be pretty interesting if we got to see Lucas's, Dawn's and Barry's friendship explained in a surprise cameo in Galar however I'd imagine they'd save those three for the DPPt remakes instead of a returning cameo or battle role in the SwSh games.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Even better. Why not the whole DPPt trio together? One of the things I loved about Pokemon Adventures is how it not only explored their characters but their friendship as well. I think it would be pretty interesting if we got to see Lucas's, Dawn's and Barry's friendship explained in a surprise cameo in Galar however I'd imagine they'd save those three for the DPPt remakes instead of a returning cameo or battle role in the SwSh games.
If I was developing a remake of Diamond and Pearl for release 1-2 years after Sword and Shield come out then I definitely would put in a cameo of an iconic character from those games as an Easter egg. I would age him/her up to fit where SwSh fits in the Pokémon timeline.

shoz999

Shadow_Triad_B2W2_Adventures.png

Okay, okay, okay! Hear me out! Just hear me out. You know who would be the perfect trio of characters to hint an HD remake/sequel of BW3? The Shadow Triad. They are the perfect characters to represent Gen 5 over N, Colress, Ghetsis in SwSh. Why you ask? Okay, okay. So one of the big mysteries that BW2 left behind is that we have no idea of the whereabouts of Ghetsis after he had a mental breakdown. You know who does know what Ghetsis's current state is, his whereabouts, his possible plans to maybe resurrect the complete form of the Tao Dragons? The Shadow Triad! They are the perfect Gen V characters to not only represent Gen V but tease at an entirely new story following up on BW2 in the far future. Not only that but unlike N, Colress or Ghetsis, they are the characters you least expect to return, they are a surprise that fans would love and the best part is GameFreak could play on the fact that they all look the same, that a Shadow Triad member your battling in a post-game Battle Facility claims the last time you battle "him" was his brother but then he says he's kidding, that was him the whole time or that he claims you met him previously only to say something that never actually happened before making you think this is a different Shadow Triad member.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I really hope we see Lillie again, she's by far my fave poke girl and seeing her be a full fledged trainer in sword and shield would be awesome.

Sicksadpanda

Discord Staff
Honestly, anything could happen. No one really expected Grimsley or Colress (and as much as I love them, they didn't really have too much of a significant role in SuMo other than giving you a pokeride and some other stuff). Unfortunately, it's also possible that none of the old characters will show up, XY style (at least I don't think any old characters were in XY outside of references). I do look forward to what SwSh might have in store if they do have returning characters.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Honestly, anything could happen. No one really expected Grimsley or Colress (and as much as I love them, they didn't really have too much of a significant role in SuMo other than giving you a pokeride and some other stuff). Unfortunately, it's also possible that none of the old characters will show up, XY style (at least I don't think any old characters were in XY outside of references). I do look forward to what SwSh might have in store if they do have returning characters.

Grimsley could’ve had a bigger role, but Colress had a pretty significant role in USUM. He had connections to the Recon Squad, gave you the N-Solarizer/Lunarizer, and was probably your biggest help in Episode RR. I think he’s the best example of a returning character actually contributing to the plot and having a reason for being there, whereas Cynthia and Gym Leader cameos in previous games were just there for fan-service (as cool as that was). I’d like if SwSh continued reusing old characters, but have them actually matter when it’s time to explain why they’re there. I think they did a good job with Colress, and it’s always nice to see how old characters are faring.

Sicksadpanda

Discord Staff
Yeah, Colress was without a doubt an important character in USUM. He just wasn't in SuMo. As much as I'd like to see previous characters be important, they'll probably still act mostly as cameo in SwSh, but that could change in the 2nd version of SwSh (if that comes).

In my personal opinion, it's better to keep old characters as cameo, that way, we can appreciate new characters the game has to offer. Let's say for example, Brock is in SwSh, and is heavily involved in the story, that might take a lot of attention away from other characters.

lerdoug

I really think that cameos will be in the games. A dialogue between Galarian and non-Galarian Gym Leaders about the diferences of their Pokémon Leagues seems to be inevitable in the story. Many Gym Leaders can fill that role.

Personaly, I hope to see cameos of:

- Character from Kalos and Alola, since their distinctives (Mega-Evolution and Z-Moves) are unacessible in these games.
- Clay, Mr. Stone and Steven Stone because of their involvement with business.
- Character involved with fashion, like Elesa, Diantha, Argenta and (?) Tucker.
- Crasher Wake, Chuck or Wulfric for a curry-themed competition.
- Shauntal or Lucian in a library because I really wish.

Orphalesion

That's an interesting point. Are characters who's ace Pokemon is/has a Mega Evolution (like Diantha) less likely to appear because Mega Evos aren't accessible?

Sicksadpanda

Discord Staff
That's an interesting point. Are characters who's ace Pokemon is/has a Mega Evolution (like Diantha) less likely to appear because Mega Evos aren't accessible?

Possibly, but also possibly not. It's really only Korrina, Lysandre and Diantha (maybe ORAS Wally...but eh) that uses mega evolution. Korrina, Lysandre and Wally has fought without one during the main story, but Diantha hasn't. But I'm sure she can make an appearance just fine...even without mega evolving.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I think anybody is free game for a cameo. Now if we are battling them or battling with them, that's a different story.

shoz999

I think seeing Kanto's female protagonist Green (Blue in Japan) make a return as an adult would be a fun candidate for a Battle facility. If it's anything like the Battle Tree where it features numerous options to create an interchangeable team for a boss character, I'd imagine GameFreak would draw some more choices from the Pokemon Adventures manga while also draw some choices of deceptionally brutal Pokemon inspired partly by GameFreak's own take of Green from Let's Go. For starters, if they ever brought back Red's Espeon again, they could give Umbreon to Green.

Emelie

Bookworm
If there is a cameo I hope they pick a character who fits the storyline and the themes of Sword and Shield. Popularity and fame seems to be important themes so mabye a character who has dealt with those issues in the past?

Imagine Elesa supporting Marnie just like how she supported Bianca. Or mabye Diantha can finally get some much needed character development?

Too bad that Red can't talk because he could have been a candidate too since popularity seems to bother him in GSC and HGSS which resulted in him isolating himself on the mountain? Marnie seems like she doesn't really open up easily and is starting to find the idea of becoming a champion more tiresome than exciting?

shoz999

If there is a cameo I hope they pick a character who fits the storyline and the themes of Sword and Shield. Popularity and fame seems to be important themes so mabye a character who has dealt with those issues in the past?

Imagine Elesa supporting Marnie just like how she supported Bianca. Or mabye Diantha can finally get some much needed character development?

Too bad that Red can't talk because he could have been a candidate too since popularity seems to bother him in GSC and HGSS which resulted in him isolating himself on the mountain? Marnie seems like she doesn't really open up easily and is starting to find the idea of becoming a champion more tiresome than exciting?
I loved Green & Blue's appearance in Let's Go but I think most of us can agree that we will all love another Red appearance... on the condition that he actually talks and explains what's he been doing all these years... THEN we can get sick and tired of Red fanservice lol!

Emelie

Bookworm
Imagine if that celebrity who lives isolated on Mt. Silver with her Ferow was actually Marnie trying to get away from her fans. :eek:

Mabye Red told her about his secret hideout?

(Probably not :p)

Ultra Beast Lover

I liked how USUM kinda wrapped up Colress' character so if an old character does return then maybe someone who still has loose ends to tie up could arrive... besides Looker. Perhaps N? Diantha would be cool considering how she didn't do anything the first time.