• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Reusing Characters

Psychic

Really and truly
Many of us have done it: you pour your heart and soul into creating a character for an RPG. You spend ages figuring out a complex personality, looking up references for clothing, finding the perfect name. You put a lot into this one character. So when you find another RPG you want to join, you'll make the appropriate edits, and use the same character.

This thread is all about those characters we keep going back to!

Do you reuse characters? WDo you have any go-to characters? What are characters you'd like to reuse in the future? Describe them in UNDER 100 words. What are their defining characteristics? What makes them unique? What do you like about them? What do you dislike?

What stays the same in every iteration of that character? What changes? How has this character evolved over time? If your character undergoes any kind of development or change over the course of one RPG, would you include these changes the next time you write a sign-up for them?

I’ve joined too many RPs that died too soon, but one character I’ve tried out a couple of times and would like to revisit is Ironbeak Swiftclaw, also known as the Shearer of the skies.
Ironbeak is a former Skarmory warlord, who had a huge flock of bird Pokemon who did her bidding. She was since defeated and her horde was scattered, but she still misses those days. Despite her age, she has retained her cruel, sly nature, and thinks only of herself.

I’d really like to use her again if I get the chance. The inspiration for her history came from the Redwall novels I enjoyed as a kid, where so many of the bad guys were warlords. Someday I’d love to actually tell Ironbeak's story, but I’d like to play her when she’s at her lowest point, too. I haven’t seen any characters like her, and I’m quite happy with her back-story. If I were to use her in multiple RPs, I might include some of her character development and things like that, though I do try to avoid writing long histories for my sign-ups. I would like to see her evolve, though, and I do have an idea of what her future may hold. I will tell your story someday, Ironbeak!

What about you? :>
~Psychic

Last edited:

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
I have quite a few characters I like to reuse. xD I find that reusing characters in different RPGs is a great way to develop them. I'll list some of my favorites. (I have more, but a lot of them are either works in progress, or I haven't reused them enough for them to have made an impression.) You might notice, I take inspiration from other things I enjoy. Lately, My Little Pony seems to be the most common.

Andre Bellamy: The fabulous, flirty, French/Kalosian Movie Star. He was my first time using a character that wasn't American. Although the constant having to make sure I'm doing it right whenever he says something in French annoys me, he has become one of my favorite characters to use. I enjoy the different reactions people have to his behavior.

Tim Wolfe: Basically, he's as close to being a human male Fluttershy without being a complete ripoff. He's timid, kindhearted, likes animals/Pokemon, is frustrated by the bullying he's had to deal with growing up, and has passive agressive tendencies. I currently have him in Tales of Heroes, and it's the longest lasting RP he's ever been in.

Leo Silverstone: He has become the Pinkie Pie to Tim's Fluttershy. Leo has done a lot in all the times I've reused him in an RP, he's had almost as many jobs as Barbie, xD (That's an exaggeration) His main trait is being a happy-go-lucky guy who gets dragged into the whatever the RP is about, and goes about it with a smile. Much like Tim, he's also had trouble with bullying in the past, although he tries very hard not to let this get him down, he does have moments where he isn't always so happy.

Adam Hayes: He is a complete departure from the characters I normally do. He came into existence because I played Gold in an RPG based on Pokemon Special, and everyone told me I played him very well. I wanted an original character with a similar personality type so I could use him in other things, and Adam is the result. He has the rashness and handsome lech tendencies of Gold, with a little bit of the competitive nature and occasional arrogance of Rainbow Dash thrown in. He often rubs other characters the wrong way, and that's often fun, because I'm not at all like this in real life. I've been meaning to add a secret love of cute things into his character, but I'm trying to figure out how.

Selena Artemis/Stella Gold/Sabrina Madison: Although they differ slightly, these three are listed together because they all fulfil a similar role in whatever RPG I'm using them in. They're all spoiled rich girls. xD This character type often gets looked at with disdain for some reason, but they always get some of the best lines in various media. (It's why I like Rarity from My Little Pony so much.) It can also be fun to throw them into a situation that's out of their comfort zone, and watch the character development happen. :p

Although certain things may change depending on the setting and requirements of the RPG, (Such as history, appearance, or different personality traits get explained in more detail;) I tend not to change too much about the character when reusing an existing Sign Up. Otherwise, I may as well just be using a brand new character.

I may also edit this post with more information when I'm feeling more eloquent. :p

Last edited:

Tangeh

I almost never reuse characters - personal choice, I have nothing against it and I understand why others do it. But I like starting with an absolutely fresh slate and being easily able to adapt to the universe at hand, for one, and for two I like having my characters change, develop, and grow over the course of the RP and it would make my brain hurt if I had to keep track of more than one version of the same character. I could do it if there was a long space between RPs, but I just generally don't.

That doesn't mean I don't have characters that stick out in my mind though, because I absolutely do. :< And they all have shaped my RPing abilities and may influence future characters in one way or another.

One of the most influential characters I've had was a mawile by the name of Masani. I actually did try to reuse her when I tried to start up my pokemon RP, but I let that die so xD (to be fair I think it would work a LOT better on very casual, very active forum so I might try it again somewhere else). She was originally conceived from absolutely nothing - in the pokemon RP I was in, I had the only "evil" character in the entire RP, so I just conjured him up some pokemon comrades so that his attempt to attack the good guy camp wouldn't be completely pathetic lol. One of these was a female mawile whom I later named Masani and she became a really integral part of that RP. She slowly evolved from a very independent sharp-tongued cruel character into a loving (albeit sassy xD) mother who had learned how to care for others besides herself. So that was really fun and awesome to see.

I'd consider my only "permanent" character to be Limerick. Originally a test to see if I could design an MLP pony by myself (I suck at art so that considered I think she turned out really well, although I traced her body from Rarity xD). I ended up giving her a backstory, personality, life goals etc. Never used her in an RP, or even a fanfic written by myself. I might in the future. I leant her to another fanfic writer once and told him she was kinda loopy and he made her full-out insane + delusional which was really entertaining.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Reuse characters? I do reuse characters from other things, including me and my brother's RP, as I have difficulty in making characters on the spot, usually. But I haven't been in many RPs to have an absolute one character that sticks out. But there is one that has changed a lot since I first made him. But first I'll list those that I've reused the least to most.

Suranuras "Solarines" Adiyapikas/Agypri - In her first appearance in our RP, she's rash, indifferent, competitive and could change alliances if she wished. She's grown to be more of the one in Drifting into Darkness over the course of my brother's RP. The one thing that truly stuck is how much she cares for her friends and her ridiculous determination.

Aaron the Charizard - Pretty much the same in the two RPs that he's been in. Except in the second, I've developed him more and he's mostly a combination of traits of Benjamen "Hawkeye" Pierce in MASH, minus his dislike for authorities, and a protective husband.

Isaac "Frozen" Trester - He first appeared as a minor character in our RP, an evil blue Charizard who wishes pain on others. The 2nd inclusion was similar in that his goal when my brother added my fan fiction idea into the RP. Except I made him wish misery on others because of a emotional scar. I didn't decise exactly what, but I knew that it made him evil. Then when I wanted to use him in Baptism By Fire, I finally decided why: he killed his friends accidently in a blind rage with his ice abilities (hence his blue skin). He's mostly the same in The Endless World, except he's not villain. XP

Schade

Metallic Wonder
It is rare that I reuse characters too. But I do mix and match from different aspects around different characters when coming up with someone new. I am just way too indesicive to be able to reuse the same character with the same traits etc. etc. Even though most of my characters share similar, or more or less the same personality. Another reason to why I don't reuse characters, is because I visualize a lot when reading RP's I sign up for, and craft a character already then. By the time I've read through plot etc. etc, the character is more or less done. (with the exception of the History Section, which is always a bit slow with me)

that being said, I have reused characters before, except that I have given them different backgrounds etc. The most recent one is Valmiro Eberhart, whom I use in the Tale of Heroes RP. Since Val is a dark magician like all my ToH-characters, he is a cold, douchey prick. But due o my lack of experience and fear of trying out new things, that is what fits me the most when making characters. Dark people with hidden agendas is kinda my thing, and though there are many differences in my characters through the 3 ToH-adaptations, you can clearly see that he is more or less the same person. I might make him a regular, but I'm not sure yet.

Firebrand

Indomitable
I've sort of settled into two archetypes that I use for characters lately. I've got a Chaotic Good male character and a Lawful Neutral verging on True Neutral female that I've been using for a while. Mostly I did this just to spare myself the trouble of hashing out a personality every time I go for a sign up, because I change every other field around. Names, appearance and naturally history all fluctuate quite a lot, but the basic personality and moral code tend to be the same.

bronislav84

I <3 Catgirls
I don't really have names for all these characters, since they tend to share the same name or be adjusted for the RP. The only character I usually make up on the fly is for a Trainer RP or one where the below characters don't fit.

My first is a catgirl who I use for multi race or magic based RPs. She has all the basic features of the type of character, but I put my personality on her. Sometimes she's named Cathy, and sometimes she's named Karai. Whatever is appropriate.

My second is a dimensional traveler magical fairy who specializes in technology based magic. She was originally created for Winx Club and inspired by Tecna, but since I can't seem to get ideas for an RP for that I have been using her for superhero RPs. She would also qualify for most magical RPs, and her dimensional traveling explains how she can exist there while still be more or less the same character (Based on the GMs rules, of course). She is pretty well fleshed out. Her name is Lektra Bolt.

My third is a pony version of Lektra Bolt who has pretty much the same powers as the one above but is a pony. This one doesn't travel dimensions and is used only for pony RPs.

I always apply my personality to my characters so I can relate to them better.

Last edited:

Truly Deceptive

It is I: ME!
...well, I just recorded every RP thread in this section for which I've ever thought to apply.

Pokémon Gijinka Academy (Monster Guy): Fero "Croc" Lagarto
Crimson Skies and Forgotten Ties (Killer_Squirtle): Nathan "Nero" Iscariot
PokéCrisis: Gravitation (myself): Misos "Thanatos" Chloros
Divine (Ysavvryl): Cassius Therio
The Tohjo War (Krazy95): Gray Oak (yeah; I was an egocentric s.o.b., and I probably still am)
Even Gods May Die (SoulMuse): Nathan Gratus and "Misos"
Dreamcrafters (Avenger Angel): Jon Codatus
Pokémon 2012: Überload (Deadly.Braviary):
Part One: Human

Name: Jon Teou
Appearance: Jon looks completely average, with a stance which is twisted forward in an extremely aggressive manner. He stands at around 5'10"
Personality:
Background:
Host Entity: Giratina
Powers:
Levitate - Jon can rise off the earth and remain in the air.

Shadow Force - Jon can vanish into the Distortion World, occupy the same time and space as other ex and rise from the shadows to make a vicious attack.
Weapon:

Part One: Pokemon
Species:
Nickname:
Moves:
Other:

...I was going to give the character a (preferably shiny) Ralts and name it Valjean.

G.A.T.E. (Avenger Angel): Jon Akagi and Sol Teou
S-P-I-R-I-T (SenorLaughsaLot):
Name: Yan Notos

Powers and Skills: Yan manipulates reality with his emotive spirit; his spiritual existence is so powerful, he influences, alters, and occasionally distorts it in accordance with his emotion. He's engulfed in the reality of spirits by miserable demons and orders them to take action in accordance with his desires. They call him their "imperator" and, by his twisted powers, can become real in this world. He can transform into whatever animal fits his soul at the moment, and usually becomes a massive pallid wyvern. He can grow to a potentially limitless size and mass which varies with his desire, but primarily remains in his relatively normal form. The demonic entities which aid him usually act however they want to behave and might commit abhorrent crimes if he doesn't command them to be kind.

Description: Standing at a height of 6'4" with a weight of 180 lbs., Yan really appears to be completely monstrous. He has sable hair and livid skin. He's in decent physical condition. His irises are a dark jet coloration. He usually wears a black t-shirt and khakis. He'll commonly wear a black jacket with white marks. He always uses simple gray shoes. Infrequently, he'll carry a black and red coat. Anyone common would call him a complete horror without any additional thought. He has gashes of blood and blisters across several parts of his body (mainly his arms and his countenance) from what punishment he subjects himself to.

Personality: He's a selfless character who seriously gives his best to improve the lives of others, and is willing to suffer any terrible hardship to accomplish what he knows is right. He contemplates his recent errors and mistakes frequently; he might behave somewhat erratically as a consequence.

History: Yan was born far in the South. He has one younger sister who's 18 years old. H
The Shadow Journal (VampirateMace): Jon Teou
Catalyst (Samantha Sparks): Ion Tanatou
Dark Waters (DVB): Jon Aidou and Alyssa Lief
The Sacred and the Profane (Mogar): Helena Kardiōn and Joseph "Vanity" Tyoista
Age of Dreams! (DVB): Jon Aidou
The Blood Crown (DVB): Seth Protos

The Gijinka Project (the 4th attempt to start the RP off, arranged by myself): Jon Theou, Jacqueline Lief, Misos Diabolou, Teru Shiraga, and "Hellknight"
1st Attempt
2nd Attempt ([ACE] Zero)
3rd Attempt ([ACE] Zero)

I just recently tried starting it up on BMGf for the 6th overall time, and I've been hoping that this time it'll turn out right.

God; there are so many RPers I miss.

So, yeah: I've used a ton of "Jon" characters or some such variants there.

Last edited:

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
I love re-using characters! In fact, nine times out of ten, a character I use for a given RP is a re-used one. This is because I have a few stories in development, and I see RPGs as great opportunities to develop the characters more and practice story-writing in the meantime. Whenever I sign up for a RPG, my first inclination is to look through my character bank, which consists of about 20 characters that I created, and see which one would fit the RPG. If none would fit, I have to either modify one to kinda fit the RPG, or create a totally new one. I actually had to do the latter twice recently because the world the RPG took place in was quite different from the environment of my stories.

Whenever I re-use a character, the field I almost always have to change is the History, since I have to make it fit with the RPG. However, I keep key elements of the character's backstory, like if they had abusive parents or got a job at an auto repair shop. I usually copy-and-paste the Appearance and Personality, but more often than not, I end up tweaking them a bit, or even re-writing the fields so that they're worded better (especially for Personality). I think about my characters a lot, so I often come up with new stuff to add on to them. And sometimes, their role in a certain RPG will cause me to emphasize different parts of their personality, so I'll reflect that in the signup.

Anyway, I dunno if I'll list my entire character bank, but at least I'll list a few of my most common characters from it:

Phoebe is a young and cheerful girl who is optimistic and loves adventure (and ponies - her outfit is even a bit cowgirl-ish), but can be easily scared or freaked out by unusual things, and thinks most adult things are "icky". I haven't had her in any RPGs for several years, but I do like to put her in Pokemon RPGs where the characters are beginning trainers, since she's one of the main characters of a story that used to be a Pokemon fanfic. In that story, she's allied with the element of Air.

Gon is a young teenage Japanese boy who has recently moved to America (or some other foreign country) with his family. He's very close to his little sister Ari, who I also RP as occasionally. Both of them are computer geeks, being very good with electronic gadgets and gathering information. However, while Gon is very optimistic and outgoing and even a bit cocky, Ari is more reserved and shy and emotionless, having not quite adapted to the move. However, despite these differences, they love each other very much, although Gon feels it way more than Ari does. Usually when I sign up as Gon, I have Ari be kidnapped by the villain or in some other sort of trouble, and Gon's determined to get her back. I usually play as Ari in a Pokemon RPG, where I have Gon get a huge head start on her and be close to entering the Pokemon League when she starts her journey. The two are from the same story as Phoebe is; element-wise, Gon allies with Fire and Ari allies with Spirit.

Ashleigh is an adult musician who is very gentle and down-to-earth in nature. However, she is also rather devoutly religious (Catholic to be exact), and can be rather narrow-minded with regards to beliefs people have. Although she's a main character of my ex-Pokemon fanfic like Phoebe and Gon and Ari are (representing the element of Earth), I've never RP'd Ashleigh before, probably because I don't really identify with her, save for the music part.

Yamiko is a moody teenage girl who lives her life under a curse cast upon her by her great-grandmother. As she is very emotional and unstable in nature, I really enjoy writing about her thoughts on things, and how she feels about situations. As the first fictional character I ever created, she has a very rich backstory, which I like to have her reflect on. She is also almost always in a romantic relationship with someone - whether it's someone from the RPG or one of my other characters. In the ex-Pokemon fanfic from before, she's in a love triangle with two guys, and is allied with the element of Water (although Darkness is more appropriate for her, given her name and tendency to lie and steal).

The Black Cat Bandits are a small group of professional thieves who follow an almost gentlemanly moral code. I always enjoy having them in an RPG involving the mafia or other evil organization (where they're secretly working against it), but sometimes I'll have one of their members in other RPGs as well. Which member depends on the RPG:
- Halberd is both the brains and the brawn of the gang. He's always been the biggest and oldest of the group, so he's used to protecting those smaller or weaker than him. He loves both electronic gadgets and swords, and in Pokemon RPGs, his team is predominantly Steel-type. He's more commonly mentioned as an NPC with the other Black Cat Bandits; I've only had him by himself in one RPG (a Persona RPG where he had the Hierophant arcana) so far.
- Warren is a cute hippie who loves cartoons and just generally being playful. He's also a master of disguise, able to play the role of anything from a hardcore gangsta boy to a police officer. I haven't had him by himself in any RPGs yet, though I did have him as an NPC a couple of times (usually as a cop). He's also a furry (or at least likes furry creatures), and recently became my only gay character so far as well.
- Merlin is a paranormal enthusiast with the ability to read people's auras. As he is a very eccentric individual who is also an extroverted flirt, I frequently end up portraying him rather comically, an oddball in regular situations who still remains calm (and highly spiritual and philosophical). Although I always at least loosely mention the Black Cat Bandits in his History, he most often stands on his own as a character.
- Lupin is a highly skilled thief who is also nocturnal and very quiet and serious in nature. As he has a dark past and an obvious sentimental side, I like to play with how those things contrast the usual lonely and somewhat intimidating vibe he gives off. He's always my first pick for RPGs involving crime or infiltrating evil organizations, though I also like to place him in catastrophic situations, especially alongside Yamiko, since he's supposed to be her lover.
- Panther is an uppity motorcycle gal who is loud and outgoing and also quite tough and muscular, yet quite accomplished as a cat burglar. Thus, she serves as a foil of sorts for Lupin. However, I rarely get to RP her anymore; the last RPG I had her in was a superhero RPG, where she had silencing her footsteps as a power and cat ears and a tail for costume. Oh, and she's also Warren's big sister, although she got separated from him at a young age. And as she's canonically a last-minute addition to the Black Cat Bandits, I hardly ever mention her as one in RPGs. That or I'm just sexist.

Mr. D is a passionate and romantic French guy who loves dancing and is affiliated with a fashion design company. However, he's not too bright, and can get rather overprotective of those he loves. Especially Yamiko, for he's the other guy in her love triangle, and the one who is officially her boyfriend. With this love triangle, I change it a lot in the three characters' Histories. If I'm RPing as Yamiko, I'll either mention one of the guys or none at all, but never both together. If I'm RPing as Lupin, sometimes I'll have him be Yamiko's boyfriend, and sometimes I'll have Yamiko be engaged to Mr. D (and have Lupin just be by himself in the RPG). I've never had Mr. D in an RPG by himself; I've only had him in one RPG period, and that was with Yamiko. Oh, and his real name is Remy Demange, if anyone's curious.

Zuri is pretty much the distaff counterpart to Merlin - like him, she has a strong interest in the paranormal and has a habit of speaking in a wise and mystical fashion. However, she is a bit more reclusive and mellow as a person, probably due to having a different background. Her parents practiced witchcraft, but died when she was very young, leaving her to live with her devoutly religious grandmother who tried to save her soul. Due to both her albinism and habit of contacting her parents' spirits, she is often compared to a ghost. I really like using her in RPGs involving a bunch of young heroes with magical powers or companions, as she was originally from a Digimon fanfic.

Amanda, or Venifica as she is sometimes called, is my Black Magician Girl (Zuri being my White Magician Girl with her healing and protective magic). She is highly sadistic in nature, and even loves having pain inflicted on herself. I practically always give her black magic powers, like the summoning of dark fire, necromancy, basic hexes, or her signature torture spell (essentially the Cruciatus Curse). She's also my token anti-hero. Usually I put her under some evil influence (usually that of a villain), and like to have her occasionally show the kind and gentle (and fantasy-loving) side of herself.

Lilith, as the name suggests, is a succubus, but her background is a bit more in-depth than that of the mythological character. She was the leader of a mischievous bunch of young witches called the Wicked Roses, until she fell in love with a man who turned out to be an incubus and had a daughter. In an RPG, I usually find some way to get rid of these other characters - usually I just have them move away or grow distant from her after she became a succubus. Anytime I see an RPG involving vampires, she's the first character I consider.

Tiffany and Daisy are a pair of characters I really like to play with, especially in RPGs involving an unusual emergency situation or stumbling into a strange world. Daisy is a timid and kind-natured flower lover, while Tiffany is an ostentatious perky goth. Where Daisy remains level-headed and cautious, Tiffany goes off on her own and often gets into trouble. And yet, they are the best of friends, so I also like to have them (lovingly) bicker with each other. I recall another RPer comparing them to an old couple, amusingly enough.

Candy and Andy are another pair of characters I like to play with, although I rarely find an RPG they would fit into. They are a musical duo, specializing in bubblegum dance (a type of Eurodance), having a lot of quirky and light-hearted songs about fantastical topics. Like Tiffany and Daisy, I like to play with contrasts in their personality - Candy is the outgoing and energetic one, while Andy is more reserved and calm, and both have their secret badass moments (at different times).

I also have a few characters from a fantasy story I plan on writing, but haven't found a place for them in RPGs here lately. These characters include an ordinary women who discovers she's of royal blood, a boisterous elf who wields a rifle, a pyrokinetic gnomide with a gentle nature, a half-snake necromancer who betrayed the bad guys for the side of good, an attractive harpy who wants to fight rather than start a family, an envious lion who yet likes to help people, a cheerful little witchling with telekinetic powers, and a reclusive vampire with a knack for astrology. Though, I now have a sort of variant of the latter in a My Little Pony RPG, oddly enough.

Last edited: