• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

*Revamped RNG Discussion/Help Thread [Do not ask about Gen 6 RNG]

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I FINALLY DID IT! I successfully RNG'ed a Wild Pokemon! With exactly the right nature and ability too! I just kept retrying my seed, realized my timing and keypresses were off.

Bag_Premier_Ball_Sprite.png
585.gif

#535 Deerling | NN: None | Gender:
OT: James | ID: 08501
Adamant | Caught: 02/18/2011 | Route 6
Type: Normal/Grass | Ability: Chlorophyll
Faint Attack / Take Down / Double Kick / Leech Seed
31/31/31/31/31/31
Hidden Power: Dark 70

Big big big big thank you to Too Funk to Druck, SpeedSuicune, TDawg, MSK, ~Selene~, STUD (the OP), Kaiser Soze (his guide), and Winter02 for all your help, seriously, I mean it.​

Has anyone tried to RNG a Rustling Grass/Surfing Spot/Swirling Sand spot?​

RNG #2​

Spr_5b_592_f.png

#592 Frillish | NN: None | Gender:
Bold| Caught: 02/18/2011 | Driftveil City
Type: Water/Ghost| Ability: Water Absorb
BubbleBeam / Absorb / Night Shade / Water Sport
31/31/31/31/31/31
Hidden Power: Dark 70

Gotta give Pinky some love. Sadly, I couldn't find a female animated sprite anywhere, but it's almost 5 in the morning, so who cares, no one'll read this post for at least another 5 hours :3

Really weird thing, I've had 5 critical captures in one day. I've also decided to catch all RNG'd pokemon in Premier Ball's, for lulz.

Last edited:

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
Amazing job! See, it's not too bad.

And I haven't done swirling dust/rustling grass RNGing. Sorry.

Last edited:

Kalosian

So long
Congrats Foxyman! Excellently done, it's only a matter of time before you will be mastering the other parts of RNG manipulation as well.

As for Rustling Grass/Surfing Spot/Swirling Sand, I tried it once when I was new to RNG myself, but failed horribly. Will probably not give it another try as everything can be obtained through breeding anyway. I have on the other hand successfully RNGed Swannas on Marvelous Bridge, which is similar but not exactly the same.

Aegon

You might as well hatch Pokémon that appear through phenomenons. They're very difficult to RNG in the wild. Congrats, foxyman, hopefully you're not too far from your Omanyte target. :D Just RNG a good parent in the wild, and you should be good to go (I take it you're breeding Omanyte).
Awesome they fixed a lot of things. I still fail to 4th gen RNG though -_-
I've actually just learnt how to RNG in Gen IV. I can now RNG egg IVs. I got a x/31/31/x/x/31 Scyther last night, and I'll be using it today to breed a better one.

Vandslaux

I think I'm going to find my DS Parameters, then go RNG Victini.

And is the hard thing about RNGing wilds the encounter slot?

Aegon

And is the hard thing about RNGing wilds the encounter slot?
There's nothing difficult with RNGing wild Pokémon, really. Encounter slots don't cause any problems, because it's easy to find a relatively close PIDRNG frame to hit while using a Synchronizer.

Pokémon that appear in the wild via phenomenons are hard to RNG as you must walk to get the phenomenon to appear, potentially advancing the IVRNG frame.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Another weird thing that happened while I was hunting. If I found the Pokemon I was looking for, if it didn't have the IV spread I wanted, it would always be Highly Curious

Weird.

Aegon

Another weird thing that happened while I was hunting. If I found the Pokemon I was looking for, if it didn't have the IV spread I wanted, it would always be Highly Curious

Weird.
It was probably because you were hitting the same wrong frame all the time, and so the Pokémon would all have the same IVs, and so the same characteristic.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
It was probably because you were hitting the same wrong frame all the time, and so the Pokémon would all have the same IVs, and so the same characteristic.

Yeah, it was just a weird thing that happened.

I've got one more Wild Pokemon target before I try for Omanyte, will post the results when it happens.

PS. Is the RNG club dead? I really wanted one of those smexy banners :3

Last edited:

MSK

Congrats foxyman1167, glad we could all be of help.
It took me a couple of weeks to figure everything out at first, I kept putting the wrong info into Reporter etc so you weren't the first and won't be the last. That's what this message board is here for and everyone is really helpful.

I'm in the process of chain breeding to get ready for the UK VGC's:

Completed so far:

Whimsicott - Shiny/Jolly/31/31/31/27/31/31 Prankster- Tailwind/Switcheroo/Trick Room/U-Turn
Gengar - Shiny/Timid/Flawless Levitate- Nightmare/Dream Eater/Psychic/Sucker Punch
Conkledurr - Shiny/Adamant/Flawless Guts- Drain Punch/Mach Punch/Rock Slide/Bulk Up

Currently working on:

Jolteon - Shiny/Timid/31/*/31/31/31/31 - Quick Feet- Discharge/Wish/Yawn/volt Switch

To Do:

Amoonguss & Wailord

I'm hoping it'll be a team that most won't expect as I'm trying to cover bases with the Drizzle Politoad and Sandstorm teams that I think may come to play this year.
Got a couple of neat tricks up my sleeve that I hope will work out :)

MSK

Hmm, confusion has set in lol

On stage 2 of my Jolteon Breed.

Stage 1: Flawless Ditto with Female Eevee to get a Flawless Timid Male (My favorite seed can hit it every time)

Stage 2: Found a seed to breed Flawless Male with DW female, had set it up to be Female Shiny only with DW ability.
Egg tab says nature F, Main window has 50% F, 12.5% M, 25% F, 75% F.
I hit my seed, hatch egg, Shiny check, DW ability check, Female . . . hold on thats a p**** lol

So what went wrong there? Any ideas? Not too fussed as I'll keep this one to evolve into Espeon.

MSK

I've just answered my own question lol just checked pokedex and eevee is female on 12.5% so as that showed male it ended up male regardless!! Darn it.
Oh well have found a new seed where all % are female so fingers crossed this time :)

derena

Oké, so I'm following jolteon's video's to start with rng'ing, and I'm stuck almost straight away, and I don't know why.

The thing that makes me be stuck is generating times in the time finder... I've done everything exactly the same as he did in the video ( except selected a different nature and a slightly different IV spread, but I doubt those are the problem ) and I'm not getting any results at all.

I'm doing the shiny version, but I watched his video from the start ( several times now to make sure I didn't miss anything ). And i'm pretty sure I didn't, anyone any idea why this could be? ( the only thing that seems different is the "use true minimum frame" checkbox, but ticked and unticked doesn't make a difference -.-'

Edit.: i'm using a DSi, is that the problem?

Last edited:

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Oké, so I'm following jolteon's video's to start with rng'ing, and I'm stuck almost straight away, and I don't know why.

The thing that makes me be stuck is generating times in the time finder... I've done everything exactly the same as he did in the video ( except selected a different nature and a slightly different IV spread, but I doubt those are the problem ) and I'm not getting any results at all.

I'm doing the shiny version, but I watched his video from the start ( several times now to make sure I didn't miss anything ). And i'm pretty sure I didn't, anyone any idea why this could be? ( the only thing that seems different is the "use true minimum frame" checkbox, but ticked and unticked doesn't make a difference -.-'

Edit.: i'm using a DSi, is that the problem?

Yes, DSi's use the C-Gear method, DS phats and DS lites use the Non C-Gear method.

Hoo-ah, here's RNG #3!

607.gif

#607 Litwick | NN: None | Gender:
Timid | Caught: 12/13/2011 | Celestial Tower
Type: Fire/Ghost| Ability: Flash Fire
Flame Burst / Hex / Will-O-Wisp / Imprison
31/31/30/30/30/30
Hidden Power: Fighting 70
I think that's enough practice, now it's time for what was one of the main reasons I wanted to learn to RNG.

Last edited:

TDawg

Yes, DSi's use the C-Gear method, DS phats and DS lites use the Non C-Gear method.

Hoo-ah, here's RNG #3!

607.gif

#607 Litwick | NN: None | Gender:
Timid | Caught: 12/13/2011 | Celestial Tower
Type: Fire/Ghost| Ability: Flash Fire
Flame Burst / Hex / Will-O-Wisp / Imprison
31/31/30/30/30/30
Hidden Power: Fighting 70
I think that's enough practice, now it's time for what was one of the main reasons I wanted to learn to RNG.

Congrats on the Litwick, but you're incorrect because as of now they cracked DSi and 3DS' so that you can use Standard RNGing on them.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Congrats on the Litwick, but you're incorrect because as of now they cracked DSi and 3DS' so that you can use Standard RNGing on them.

Awww man, I was so upbeat about being able to answer a question about RNG'ing.

I've been looking into the RNG club, and there really isn't any reason for it, as I believe people only RNG in 4th/5th Gen, if it's possible earlier, I don't know. I would like to use one of those banners though, they're really nice.

Shadow_Assailant

Success is Bliss
Wow. Lol. It's been a while since I've posted here. School and life have been holding me back, but now I'm on Winter Break, so I might be getting on more. :p So how have the people's projects been coming along? Right before I started posting this, I got this guy:

494.gif

#494 Victini | Psychic-Fire | Genderless | Poké Ball
OT: Movie14 | ID: 12031 | SID: ????? | Shiny: No
Nature: Naive | Ability: Victory Star | Characteristic: Often dozes off.
Date: 12/23/2011 | Wi-Fi Gift | Met at Lvl. 50
Hidden Power/Power: Ice/70 | IVs: 31/30/30/31/31/31

I like it. Lol. :p Right now, my main project is RNGing my TID/SID specifically for Tornadus on my Black Version. Lol. Wish me luck. :p

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Wow. Lol. It's been a while since I've posted here. School and life have been holding me back, but now I'm on Winter Break, so I might be getting on more. :p So how have the people's projects been coming along? Right before I started posting this, I got this guy:

494.gif

#494 Victini | Psychic-Fire | Genderless | Poké Ball
OT: Movie14 | ID: 12031 | SID: ????? | Shiny: No
Nature: Naive | Ability: Victory Star | Characteristic: Often dozes off.
Date: 12/23/2011 | Wi-Fi Gift | Met at Lvl. 50
Hidden Power/Power: Ice/70 | IVs: 31/30/30/31/31/31

I like it. Lol. :p Right now, my main project is RNGing my TID/SID specifically for Tornadus on my Black Version. Lol. Wish me luck. :p

Nice one, I've been thinking about RNGing my Wondercard Victini, but I would have no use for it, because it's banned from the Subway, and I don't competitive battle that much.

It might be useful for trading purposes, but anyone that can trade on WiFi would have had access to it.

I'm running 4 different Time Finder's right now to find a good Omanyte seed.

TDawg

Awww man, I was so upbeat about being able to answer a question about RNG'ing.

I've been looking into the RNG club, and there really isn't any reason for it, as I believe people only RNG in 4th/5th Gen, if it's possible earlier, I don't know. I would like to use one of those banners though, they're really nice.

Lol no worries. If it was like a month ago you would have been right ^^.

There is also 3rd Gen RNGing which there is no thread for so I guess it could be used for that. And feel free to use any of them.

Nice Victini, Shadow! You're lucky to find a Naive HP Ice seed :) I couldn't find one at all