• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

*Revamped RNG Discussion/Help Thread [Do not ask about Gen 6 RNG]

If there are WNPCs in the area than the frame RNGR gives you as your SSF will be inaccurate as the NPCs will advance the frame before you can pull up the menu. Even so, the SSF should never be 1000 frames off unless there is weather in the overworld. If there is no weather than you might have just missed your seed due to Timer0 switching. If you think you did everything right and just can't figure out what is going wrong, it might be helpful to switch seeds and see if you have any better luck with a new seed.

I'm in the little grass area in Castelia City, so no weather and the only NPC doesn't move. Does him standing there cause a problem?

I've tried switching seeds, the last one said 7000 steps to hit my target frame. No way I was going to count that high lol.

Here is a different seed, but I'm not sure how to deal with it being on Frame 4:
Seed 91B9A926BA8C2240
Frame 4
Required Lead Synchronize
Shiny Frame 314
Encounter Slot 1
Date\Time 09/17/12 20:58:23
Timer0 1683
Keypresses Y

Last edited:

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
First here is a gen 5 guide based off of RNG Reporter that I hear is pretty good and easy to follow.

In RNGR the min/max boxes under the egg tab are indeen the PID frame. RNGR will only ever give you egg IVs from IV frame 8 so you don't need to worry about that and you can just focus on the PID. In the main window, right click on any frame and than click "Display Parents in Search" and, after you fill out the IVs from the mother and father as well as get the IVs from frame 8, this will display the IVs for each frame. That will make it easier for you to find out if you did indeed hit your seed or not. Also remember, there is one WNPC that can cause your SSF to jump around a bit so your starting frame will NOT be what RNGR tells you, but it will be very close. Keep in mind too, it is possible that your Timer0 just would not cooperate and you were trolled the entire time.

As for the issues with RNGR not working, what version did you download? The newest version (that I am aware of anyway) is 9.96.4 beta. This also requires firmware 4.5 to run properly, so if you downloaded a newer version of RNGR but not the firmware update, that is probably the issue. It is also worth noting that the newer versions of RNGR are not compatible with Windows XP or any older OS. Newer versions of RNGr require Vista or a newer OS to work. The developers decided that a 40% increase in seed searching capabilities was far more desirable than supporting an 11 year old OS.

That's good to hear :) right now I'm gonna be trying to hatch something else from two different parents and see if it works for them, because I could always have got the wrong IVs for one of the parents...
I considered the timer0 making fun at me too, but I did try multiple times each passage (both the attempts at finding my actual starting PID frame and at hitting the frame I want) but it would just never add up.
I completely forgot about the roamers though, so I'll be checking if I didn't accidentaly release the Tornadus. Fingers crossed!!! That might just be it >.<

I think it's an older version 'cause everytime I open it it asks me if I want to download version n°9.96.4, but I never dared to do it in fear that it won't run on my adobe/winzip programs. I do have windows 7 so I'm not worried about compatibility, so I guess I'll stick with this one until Winzip's free trial runs out. Then I'll update it and see what happens :|

Btw, thanks a lot for the help :)
I'll let you know if I make any progress...

dewey911p

primus inter pares
I'm in the little grass area in Castelia City, so no weather and the only NPC doesn't move. Does him standing there cause a problem?

I've tried switching seeds, the last one said 7000 steps to hit my target frame. No way I was going to count that high lol.

Here is a different seed, but I'm not sure how to deal with it being on Frame 4:
Seed 91B9A926BA8C2240
Frame 4
Required Lead Synchronize
Shiny Frame 314
Encounter Slot 1
Date\Time 09/17/12 20:58:23
Timer0 1683
Keypresses Y

7000 steps? There shouldn't be any steps unless you are advancing the IVRNG. Unless you meant Chatot flips?

As for an IV frame higher than 1 you would need to walk 128 steps to advance hte IVRNG by the number of pokemon in your paty. so for a fame of 4, you would need to walk 128 steps with 3 pokemon in your party (The IVRNG starts on frame 1 so you need to advance it 3 times to get to 4, so have 3 pokemon in your party when you walk 128 steps.) Keep in mind though, that this might also advance the PIDRNG too if you walk in an area that generates pokemon (Grass, water, cave, etc. Also note that any NPCs can advance the frame too, but if the only one in the area is stationary, that won't matte.

7000 steps? There shouldn't be any steps unless you are advancing the IVRNG. Unless you meant Chatot flips?

As for an IV frame higher than 1 you would need to walk 128 steps to advance hte IVRNG by the number of pokemon in your paty. so for a fame of 4, you would need to walk 128 steps with 3 pokemon in your party (The IVRNG starts on frame 1 so you need to advance it 3 times to get to 4, so have 3 pokemon in your party when you walk 128 steps.) Keep in mind though, that this might also advance the PIDRNG too if you walk in an area that generates pokemon (Grass, water, cave, etc. Also note that any NPCs can advance the frame too, but if the only one in the area is stationary, that won't matte.

I definitely meant frames not steps lol. Thanks for your help! I'll let you know if it's a success.

Dangertrout

It is my understanding that in BW2 the first egg is always the same, however I've seen someone claim that their first egg will sometimes have a different gender. Why is that?

It's still not working. I'm going to check I'm doing it right:

1) Go to location and save with a non-Synchronizer in the lead.
2) In RNGR, do what I've done in the pic in Time Finder.

RNGTimeFinder.jpg

3) Pick your seed, and go into the game, with the appropriate date and time, holding down the appropriate buttons until the game freak star appears. Then enter the game without turning on c-gear.
4) Without making the season name disappear early, sweet scent and catch the first pokemon that comes up.
5) Find that pokemon in the results generated on the main screen. That should be your initial frame. This is what mine looked like when I generated the results (let me know if it's wrong):

RNGRMainScreen.jpg

6) Set up the date/time again, and this time when you go into the game use, in my case, my two chatots to advance the frame.

Here's a question: the formula is (Target) - (Initial) - (Starting) + 1. Is my starting frame the frame Time Finder said (the one next to the seed column)?

7) Use sweet scent and bam, that should be the pokemon.

But it hasn't been. And can't figure out why. Thanks for the continual help, it is truly needed!

dewey911p

primus inter pares
It is my understanding that in BW2 the first egg is always the same, however I've seen someone claim that their first egg will sometimes have a different gender. Why is that?

The fist egg is generated and stored in a call to the RNG that goes through a messed up process resulting in the egg returned being the same egg all the time. So, once you deposit the 2 pokemon and they lay an egg, that egg is set in stone. However, if you take it, hatch it, and keep collecting eggs, things work ... normally (actually, the process is still scewy, but aside from people who want to RNG the egg, no one will be able to tell or probably care). Now if you take the paents out of the day care and put in new paents, a few things might change depending on the gender ration, the pesence of a DW ability or not, the mothers ability, an everstone, and so on. But that first egg is set. If you collect it, hatch it, turn the game off and repeat, you will get the same result every single time. I'm still a little confused on the finer details of the egg generation process (can't RNG it, so there isn't much reason for me to go beyond that) but generally speaking, the first egg is the same until something changes or it is collected.

My best guess is they changed the parents around or changed some other factor.

It's still not working. I'm going to check I'm doing it right:

1) Go to location and save with a non-Synchronizer in the lead.
2) In RNGR, do what I've done in the pic in Time Finder.

RNGTimeFinder.jpg

3) Pick your seed, and go into the game, with the appropriate date and time, holding down the appropriate buttons until the game freak star appears. Then enter the game without turning on c-gear.
4) Without making the season name disappear early, sweet scent and catch the first pokemon that comes up.
5) Find that pokemon in the results generated on the main screen. That should be your initial frame. This is what mine looked like when I generated the results (let me know if it's wrong):

RNGRMainScreen.jpg

6) Set up the date/time again, and this time when you go into the game use, in my case, my two chatots to advance the frame.

Here's a question: the formula is (Target) - (Initial) - (Starting) + 1. Is my starting frame the frame Time Finder said (the one next to the seed column)?

7) Use sweet scent and bam, that should be the pokemon.

But it hasn't been. And can't figure out why. Thanks for the continual help, it is truly needed!

Okay, there are a few things going on here that could be improved upon to make this easier for you.

First and most glaringly, If you have an seed with an IV frame of 1, why are you not using that? If the Timer0 is the issue than I would narrow your Timer0 ranges and keep searching for a seed with IV frame 1. Just out oif curiosity, what are you RNGing and where? IIRC there are no NPCs around you yes?

Second, your method of finding your SSF is outdated and makes things harder on yourself. The main window will display Chatot pitches for each frame (Low, Mid-Low, Mid, Mid-High, High) and by matching these pitches you can tell if you hit your seed and where you are on your seed too. So if there are no NPcs in the area and you are using an IV frame of 1, the first chatot pitch should match what RNGR tells you your SSF is.

Third, you filled out Time Finder correctly and your seeds should work, but you shouldn't fill anything out in the main window as that will limit your results. just mark down the type of RNG you are doing (Gen 5 PIDNG in this case) and fill out other useful information, like synchronize, encounter type, etc, but leave the IVs, nature, encounter slot, ability, and gender blank. Those are more for gen 3 frame searching than gen 4/5 abuse.

Fourth, your equation is wrong ((Target) - (Initial) - (Starting) + 1) it should be Target Frame (TF) - Starting Frame (SF) - 1. So based on your screen shots Your TF is 314 and your SF is 55, so it should be 314 - 55 - 1 = 258 chatot flips. Do note though, if your IV frame is 4 and you are advancing your IV frame by walking in an area that spawns wild pokemon, you will be advancing your PID frame at the same time by 1 for every step you take. So if your SF is 55 and you advance your IV frame, your SF will be at least 55 + 128 (183 btw) but that number will vary based on the number of steps you take, NPCs, and other factors (using an IV frame of 1 is the easiest way to go as you don't have to worry about any of this).

Just a few helpful hints but other than that, you seem to have the right process down, now it is just a matter of persistence and luck :)

Last edited:

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
GOOD NEWS! (for anyone who cared-me lol)

I indeed managed to hatch a Brave Shiny Lillipup with 31/31/31/29/31/31 last night, from two parents I RNGed out of the grass myself and therefore of whom I'm absolutely positive of their exact IVs.

Moral of the story, I probably just got my female Emolga's IVs wrong before. Wich makes me reconsider the method I've been using to find out IVs with the daycare....
Basically I hatch/catch one myself (so that I know for a fact it's UT and with no EVs assigned anywhere), leave it at the daycare and walk around until it gets a few levels up. Then I withdraw it and calculate its "average" IVs with the IV calculator. Then I drop it off again and level them up a bit more, then re-check the IVs until I can make a stable average of the results.
For example my Emolga was:

Lv.14) 5-11/8-14/16-22/25/9-15/2-8
Lv.19) 6-11/14-18/12-22/25/12-16/0-4
Lv.22) 4-8/14-18/21-25/25/12-16/4-7
Lv.26) 6-9/12-15/15-22/25/11-14/2-5
Lv.30) 7-9/14-16/20-23/25/14-16/4-7
Lv.34) 5-7/12-14/22-24/25/13-15/3-5
So I thought the exact IVs were 7/14/22/25/14/4. Maybe I should check it a few more times at a higher level...

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Why not just deposit the pokemon on pokecheck to get their exact IVs? Without exact IVs RNGing will be a real pain. Or you could just use flawless parents all the time, that works too.

Last time I tried to use pokecheck, it said the connection coordinates weren't "valid". Also, I'd need to get the thing back in the same day, instead of putting it up somewhere until I can somehow retrieve it.

Wish I had flawless parents to use. Or, more specifically, I wish I had two parents of whom I know the exact IVs. I use a Herdier I RNGed a couple days ago as the father but if I want to hatch an Emolga, then I need a female Emolga, and those are just the kind of effers you really can't jusr RNG out of the grass. If I could, I wouldn't even bother hatching an egg, if I already could get a shiny one from the wild :p

Though in my last series of failed attempts, I noticed something weird. I mean, it's already weird that i seem to have a problem with Emolga specifically, since I already got the same father to produce a successful egg RNG. So naturally I came to the conclusion I got mom Emolga's IVs wrong.
But maybe that's still not it.
I mean, after a while I got frustrated and started to flick around with the mother's IVs box. And I noticed that, as long as they still fitted the IV pre-requisites in the upper boxes (wich I think were >30; <31; >30; >30; >30; >30), the same seeds still came up.
The one I was targetting was a hasty female who inherits HP, att. and def. from the dad, mom and dad respectively. And it still came up when I setted the mom's att. from 14 to 13.

So the IVs only influence the actual results's IVs, but not directly the seeds? Why should I still not be able to hit my seed then, if it doesn't depend on the parents's IVs?

I'm.......so lost X_______X
I am throwing away this mother and going to attempt with another female Emolga but...seriously, what's going on.

Last edited:
Okay, there are a few things going on here that could be improved upon to make this easier for you.

First and most glaringly, If you have an seed with an IV frame of 1, why are you not using that? If the Timer0 is the issue than I would narrow your Timer0 ranges and keep searching for a seed with IV frame 1. Just out oif curiosity, what are you RNGing and where? IIRC there are no NPCs around you yes?

I'm trying to get a shiny Cottonee in Castelia City with one NPC nearby, but he doesn't move. I believe it is Location 1 on the B2 Encounter table. The only reason I wasn't using the IV frame of 1 was to avoid the start or select buttons to hold down. Since they resize the window, I wasn't sure if it still counted for holding them down until the game freak logo.

Second, your method of finding your SSF is outdated and makes things harder on yourself. The main window will display Chatot pitches for each frame (Low, Mid-Low, Mid, Mid-High, High) and by matching these pitches you can tell if you hit your seed and where you are on your seed too. So if there are no NPcs in the area and you are using an IV frame of 1, the first chatot pitch should match what RNGR tells you your SSF is.

I have a hard time telling what the chatot pitch is. Any tips for figuring out all the mid pitches?

Third, you filled out Time Finder correctly and your seeds should work, but you shouldn't fill anything out in the main window as that will limit your results. just mark down the type of RNG you are doing (Gen 5 PIDNG in this case) and fill out other useful information, like synchronize, encounter type, etc, but leave the IVs, nature, encounter slot, ability, and gender blank. Those are more for gen 3 frame searching than gen 4/5 abuse.

Fourth, your equation is wrong ((Target) - (Initial) - (Starting) + 1) it should be Target Frame (TF) - Starting Frame (SF) - 1. So based on your screen shots Your TF is 314 and your SF is 55, so it should be 314 - 55 - 1 = 258 chatot flips. Do note though, if your IV frame is 4 and you are advancing your IV frame by walking in an area that spawns wild pokemon, you will be advancing your PID frame at the same time by 1 for every step you take. So if your SF is 55 and you advance your IV frame, your SF will be at least 55 + 128 (183 btw) but that number will vary based on the number of steps you take, NPCs, and other factors (using an IV frame of 1 is the easiest way to go as you don't have to worry about any of this).

Okay, having the equation right in the first place definitely will help. I will try and use a seed with an IV frame of 1, but if I don't, can I advance the IV frame with Chatots or just walking?

Just a few helpful hints but other than that, you seem to have the right process down, now it is just a matter of persistence and luck :)

You have been my RNG hero, thank you soooooo much for all your help :D

I'm trying to get a shiny Cottonee in Castelia City with one NPC nearby, but he doesn't move. I believe it is Location 1 on the B2 Encounter table. The only reason I wasn't using the IV frame of 1 was to avoid the start or select buttons to hold down. Since they resize the window, I wasn't sure if it still counted for holding them down until the game freak logo.

He doesn't advance the PIDRNG, so you're all set.

I have a hard time telling what the chatot pitch is. Any tips for figuring out all the mid pitches?

[video=youtube;OUvlamJN3nM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUvlamJN3nM[/video]

this works pretty well for me.

Okay, having the equation right in the first place definitely will help. I will try and use a seed with an IV frame of 1, but if I don't, can I advance the IV frame with Chatots or just walking?

You need to walk to advance the IVRNG. 128 steps * number of pokemon in your party = number of frames that get advanced.

Don Bonnigan

My Goodness!
Hey guys, I could use a little help RNGing for a Genesect in Black 2. I've RNG'd for wondercard pokemon in BW, and did fine, but I just can't seem to get it to work in Black 2. I've calibrated the reporter, and I've found a few good seeds in the time finder. However, when I actually hit the seed and advance the frames, I end up with a nature and IV spread that I can't even find on the frame list, let alone near my target frame. Does anyone know what might be causing the problem?

P.S: I've ticked the black 2 white 2 box when calculating the initial frame, however I haven't ticked the memory link box since I don't know under which scenarios it needs to be ticked. I'm standing in the Nimbasa Pokemon Centre, so NPC's shouldn't be the problem.

Silvershark

HAWLUCHA!!!
Last time I tried to use pokecheck, it said the connection coordinates weren't "valid". Also, I'd need to get the thing back in the same day, instead of putting it up somewhere until I can somehow retrieve it.

You could also just use the pokemon in Battle Subway, lose, save the video, and then upload it to wifi. Enter the video's Battle ID number into Pokecheck's Vs. Player and it will show you almost all the information on the pokemon in the battle(name, OT, ID, SID, EV's, IV's, nature, etc.) without actually depositing the pokemon in Pokecheck.

Last edited:

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
You could also just use the pokemon in Battle Subway, lose, save the video, and then upload it to wifi. Enter the video's Battle ID number into Pokecheck's Vs. Player and it will show you almost all the information on the pokemon in the battle(name, OT, ID, SID, EV's, IV's, nature, etc.) without actually depositing the pokemon in Pokecheck.

Oh sounds good, I'll try doing that.

Meanwhile though, I tried to breed with another Emolga... still no seed matches whatsoever. Wonder what the frekklez is wrong with Emolgas and my game's RNG :p

JTrainer

Pokemon SwordMaster
Can the Eevee you get from Amanita be female or shiny? I tried to RNG it, but when I advanced the frame for natures, it would always either hit one before or one after, or something at like 166 or something! I know I hit my timer0. Does anything in the room you get it in advance the frame or something?

Also does anyone know where I could find encounter slots for Black 2 and White 2? My PPRNG program doesn't let me view them.

Can the Eevee you get from Amanita be female or shiny? I tried to RNG it, but when I advanced the frame for natures, it would always either hit one before or one after, or something at like 166 or something! I know I hit my timer0. Does anything in the room you get it in advance the frame or something?

Also does anyone know where I could find encounter slots for Black 2 and White 2? My PPRNG program doesn't let me view them.

It can't be female, and iirc, it can't be shiny either. Encounter slots for White 2.