• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

*Revamped RNG Discussion/Help Thread [Do not ask about Gen 6 RNG]

darthmalice777

Dark & Ghost FTW
so anyone have any idea on the progress of fixing rng'ing so that it's fair. the limit to ds/ds lite makes this seem like cheating.

This is because the device needed to "break the code" (so-to-speak) for DSi/3DS costs a few thousand dollars, and the people who developed RNG reporter don't see the point in spending that kind of money. Sorry to break the news to you, but I doubt it's going to happen soon, if ever.

Tarro57

RNGer, haters hate.
Thanks Metagross-! It wasn't the one on the frame I wanted so I did to less Chatots since I hit 75 when I wanted 73.

Nikator

RnG- The Masterpiece
Guess its time to try my first PIDRNG. Was going to aim for either a Shiny Volcorana/Axew but I guess i'm going to have to recapture a Litwick =(. I thought Basculin only gave 1speed EV not 2. Therefore I have 255, not 252 Speed on It. =(

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
This is because the device needed to "break the code" (so-to-speak) for DSi/3DS costs a few thousand dollars, and the people who developed RNG reporter don't see the point in spending that kind of money. Sorry to break the news to you, but I doubt it's going to happen soon, if ever.
We could all chip in to do it.

Technically.
smogon could perform a fundraiser to decode the 3DS. that would be spectacular.

darthmalice777

Dark & Ghost FTW
Guess its time to try my first PIDRNG. Was going to aim for either a Shiny Volcorana/Axew but I guess i'm going to have to recapture a Litwick =(. I thought Basculin only gave 1speed EV not 2. Therefore I have 255, not 252 Speed on It. =(

I can get you a speed EV reducing berry...use the FC in my sig. When can you trade?

jolteon135

Thanks but once I start something, I like to finish it but I'll try standard seed once I succeed at this one.
But I'm guessing I'm out of luck since Soft Reset is broken for me?
No. Instead of starting up the game before the first timer ends just wait at the DS menu for the first timer to end then press A to start up the game as soon as the first timer ends. Get to the "Continue" screen, click on continue, say no when it ask if you want to launch c-gear communications then yes to the warning message. Click on the c-gear button so the yes/no option comes up. When the second timer ends click yes. After this do any frame advancements (if necessary) and sweet scent or interact with your target.

If your targets IVs are wrong check them and search for them in seed to times. I assume you can figure out the search/seed to times from the videos but if you can't let me know.

EDIT: I'm not really sure why you're determined to learn the c-gear method. It's only useful for male only entralink (DW) Pokemon. Standard (non c-gear) outclasses it in everything else.
EDIT2: Also if you're using an older guide, c-gear seeds now start on frame 1 meaning you can now hit spreads on frame 1 and 2 and for IV advancement frame 1 is your starting frame. That's where you're advancing from.

Last edited:

DerpFloon0089

shiny enthusiast
No. Instead of starting up the game before the first timer ends just wait at the DS menu for the first timer to end then press A to start up the game as soon as the first timer ends. Get to the "Continue" screen, click on continue, say no when it ask if you want to launch c-gear communications then yes to the warning message. Click on the c-gear button so the yes/no option comes up. When the second timer ends click yes. After this do any frame advancements (if necessary) and sweet scent or interact with your target.

If your targets IVs are wrong check them and search for them in seed to times. I assume you can figure out the search/seed to times from the videos but if you can't let me know.

EDIT: I'm not really sure why you're determined to learn the c-gear method. It's only useful for male only entralink (DW) Pokemon. Standard (non c-gear) outclasses it in everything else.
EDIT2: Also if you're using an older guide, c-gear seeds now start on frame 1 meaning you can now hit spreads on frame 1 and 2 and for IV advancement frame 1 is your starting frame. That's where you're advancing from.

nah its not determination, its just stubbornness, just don't like things unfinished.I also like to learn the primitive stuff and an understanding of why its obsolete. Anyway, thanks for the help. I'm going to let the information soak in and try again later.

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer
Ok guys I updated the main post with a slightly better formatting to avoid the "text brick syndrome" it had, added Jolteons magnificent FAQ, and added in encounter tables under advanced knowledge for quick reference without opening reporter. Any helpful ideas or formatting suggestions are very welcome. Just leave me a VM with whatever you think needs to be changed. Thanks everyone!

EDIT: Please keep in mind Im trying to avoid spoiler tags but if you think it will help Ill try to remember how to use them efficiently lol... havent used them in years.

Last edited:

cannibaleyes

Holier Than Thou
That's disappointing. ._.
..I'm really glad I have a DS Lite. ^__^

Nice job on this thread, guys. It's nice to finally have all the info all nice and collected in the first few posts for quick reference. :)
Dang, this thread has gotten big in a very short amount of time. o.0

As for me, I've just been doing 4th gen. RNG requests lately... Is this still just a 5th gen. thread, or can I talk baout 4th gen. stuff?

Metagross-

Trader/Breeder
http://i55.*******.com/e5ia8h.png[/

Ok, so whe I'm trying to recalibrate, I get exact IVs, but RNG Reporter doesn't come up with anything. Any help appreciated.
EDIT:This is in B/W So probaly mostly 5th gen..

Ballistic Buizel

caught shiny lati@s
*GROAN* I just spent an hour trying to RNG a shiny adamant Rufflet. And it didn't show. Walked 640 steps with 5 pokemon in my party to advance my IV frame to 26 (because you start out at 1, right?) And then I did 297 chatot views. I counted when I first opened the summary screen as one, or is it only when you flip them? Do I need to start a second earlier? My time that I have to start at is 3:27:10, so I always set my clock to 3:26 and then wait a minute and ten seconds before I start the game with my keypress (A+L+X). What do I do? It actually is pretty easy to do, but I think I may have screwed up a step.

jolteon135

http://i55.*******.com/e5ia8h.png[/

Ok, so whe I'm trying to recalibrate, I get exact IVs, but RNG Reporter doesn't come up with anything. Any help appreciated.
EDIT:This is in B/W So probaly mostly 5th gen..

Don't know how you're finding exact IVs but you don't need them. Victory road Pokemon is good enough. Just use the Pokedex-IV checker. It will say something like HP:12-14 which means for min HP should be 12 and max HP should be 14 in the parameter finder.

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
*GROAN* I just spent an hour trying to RNG a shiny adamant Rufflet. And it didn't show. Walked 640 steps with 5 pokemon in my party to advance my IV frame to 26 (because you start out at 1, right?) And then I did 297 chatot views. I counted when I first opened the summary screen as one, or is it only when you flip them? Do I need to start a second earlier? My time that I have to start at is 3:27:10, so I always set my clock to 3:26 and then wait a minute and ten seconds before I start the game with my keypress (A+L+X). What do I do? It actually is pretty easy to do, but I think I may have screwed up a step.

yeah, you have to start one second earlier because the game takes a second to load. And, opening the summary screen counts as one advance.

DragonKnighted

So....first post in new thread, asking another question. I think I have it down, but I'm running into a problem. I have a IV frame of one a starting PID frame of 49, and i need to get my PID to 53 for the flawless encounter slot I want. (3)

so i load up my game do the button presses, load game, mash X, open up my menu, see my chatots menu 4 times, and sweet scent. I didnt get the mon im looking for, and its not flawless either. help?

Ballistic Buizel

caught shiny lati@s
yeah, you have to start one second earlier because the game takes a second to load. And, opening the summary screen counts as one advance.

Phew. Okay. Good to know. Now Ima get me mah Rufflet! :D Thanks so much! :)

jolteon135

You are not going to get shiny via walking especially not via walking 640 step. Sorry to crush your hopes but you really should stick to frame 1 for Ivs if you're going for shinies. In fact you should stick to frame 1 most (if not all) of the time.
Controlling the PIDRNG is much more difficult for higher IV frames.

If for some reason you want to torture yourself, the approximation for walking is Current Frame=Initial Frame + 2.1*Steps + 2 * Turns

That is with no Pokemon in the daycare and in an area with no NPCs.

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
So....first post in new thread, asking another question. I think I have it down, but I'm running into a problem. I have a IV frame of one a starting PID frame of 49, and i need to get my PID to 53 for the flawless encounter slot I want. (3)

so i load up my game do the button presses, load game, mash X, open up my menu, see my chatots menu 4 times, and sweet scent. I didnt get the mon im looking for, and its not flawless either. help?

Does your Pokemon have the IVs you want? Are you in an area with no NPCs? If the first one is yes, then you're hitting your seed, but not hitting the right PID frame. If the second is yes, then you're going to need a higher PID frame.

Metagross-

Trader/Breeder
Don't know how you're finding exact IVs but you don't need them. Victory road Pokemon is good enough. Just use the Pokedex-IV checker. It will say something like HP:12-14 which means for min HP should be 12 and max HP should be 14 in the parameter finder.

I used rare candies and MetaKids IV checker, I tried with the Min/Max, still no results. Any ideas?

DragonKnighted

not hitting the seed either. i'll tell u what i do when i start the game. my time is 20:56:23
so i start the game at 22 seconds, wait till the pokemon company comes up, do my key presses, Y+Right then press A when the star comes up, and then start up the game no c-gear go into my menu, do the chatot advances. what am i doing wrong?

DragonKnighted

and metagross use pokecheck.org, it gives you the exact IVs.