• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

*Revamped RNG Discussion/Help Thread [Do not ask about Gen 6 RNG]

Lightey

It's all confusing at first, so take it in stages. Stage 1 is finding your parameters. Here's a good video explaining how to do that on a Mac.
Try it, it's only the way, as my son says.

RNG Abuse Using PPRNG--DS Game Configuration/Parameters Searcher

Note you cannot use this method on a DSi or 3DS, and you should reach Victory Road first so you have reasonably high level pokemon to catch.

Also note, when it asks for your MAC address, this is the address of your DS, and has nothing to do with your computer.

Good luck.
Okay, one more question, to get the MAC address, do I have to connect to the internet, because my router is set to WPA, and my DS Lite doesn't support that.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Okay, one more question, to get the MAC address, do I have to connect to the internet, because my router is set to WPA, and my DS Lite doesn't support that.
You don't actually have to pick up a network to find the MAC address.

jolteon135

I assumed he knew how to RNG already (at least for IVs). Lightey, if you don't know how to RNG yet you should take Kailassa advice and take it in steps. Learn IVRNG manipulation before you jump into PIDRNG (shininess/natures/all the good stuff).

Shadow_Assailant

Success is Bliss
This new version of PPRNG is still messing with me. I'm trying to catch a wild Maractus, but I don't know what the starting frame is. What I mean is that I can't tell which column (under Adjacents) shows what the starting PID Frame is. :S

Shadow_Assailant

Success is Bliss
Doesn't it say next to the seed? Idk since I have Reporter :/

It technically does, but to me, it's impossible to tell which column is the one I'm looking for because the column names are abbreviated and you can't expand them out. :S

Picture%201.png

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
It technically does, but to me, it's impossible to tell which column is the one I'm looking for because the column names are abbreviated and you can't expand them out. :S

Picture%201.png

It's probably in order, so the first is the starting frame and the second is the frame you need to hit.

Shadow_Assailant

Success is Bliss
The 46 is the Starting PID frame, I believe. ;)

Sidenote: Why do you have 3 Timer0's, though? o.0

Cool. I'll try it. Thanks. :D

Sidenote reply: That's a very good question... My Timer0 should be C7F and that's what I have my config set as, but I don't know. :S

Kailassa

Nanna Ninetales
Cool. I'll try it. Thanks. :D

Sidenote reply: That's a very good question... My Timer0 should be C7F and that's what I have my config set as, but I don't know. :S

I don't know PPRNG, but I'm guessing you've checked a setting allowing you to see nearby frames.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
I'm trying to rng a shiny Cobalion but so far I've epically failed ti get the PID frame right.

So I got my tid and sid, found my parametres, my starting seed the list of seeds I could be going for. I saved in front of it with 5 pkmn in my party, soo I went for one that had a mitv frame at 6, so that i'd reach it by walking 128 steps.

Seen as walking and turning in a cave with wild pkmn increases your PID frame by 2 each step/turning, I figured I had to find a seed with also a "nearby shiny" frame (!!!) at more than 320 (256 frame advances for the steps, 64 for the 32 times I'd have to turn if I walked in a a-step range bacck and forth). Found one at 324. Entered the game at the determined time, didn't turn on the c-gear, walked the steps and listened to chatot's recorded chatter 4 times (also tried with 3) but no shine.

Could someone explain what I'm doing wrong?

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Are you even checking how close or if you even hit the seed in your main window of rngreporter?

I check if I hit it by seeing the ivs and nature. IVs always correspond, meaning I hit the seed and the mitv frame, but the nature and shinyness (pid frame) fails.

jolteon135

I check if I hit it by seeing the ivs and nature. IVs always correspond, meaning I hit the seed and the mitv frame, but the nature and shinyness (pid frame) fails.

Walking does not work like you think. Steps don't always advance by 2 in areas with wild Pokemon.

Current Frame = (21/10)*Steps + 2*Turns + Calculated Initial PID Frame

That's the approximate formula and if you don't know how to use that formula you should avoid IV frames higher than 1.

EDIT: Also that formula approximates your PID frame only if you have no Pokemon in the daycare. If you have 2 Pokemon in the daycare the 21/10 becomes 377/170.

EDIT2: 324 is really pushing it close. Turns don't advance the PIDRNG while running. Assuming your Calculated initial Frame is about 50 or less you could use a repel and run 100 steps then walk the last 28 steps. I'm sure you can walk 28 steps and only do about 2 turns, right?
If you have a Calculated initial Frame of 50 and you did 2 turns that would put you at about (21/10)*128+2*2+50=322.

So 324 might not be doable. Depends on what your Calculated initial Frame is and how many turns you need.

Last edited:

Kailassa

Nanna Ninetales

Checking to see if you've hit your frame is not enough. If you have not hit your frame, it's pointless to keep stabbing in the dark. You need to generate a list of the PID frames for your seed, and work out which frame you have hit. Then you know how much to adjust your chatters by.

As there are no wandering NPCs in Cobalion's chamber, Jolteon's formula will get you on or near the right seed, but if you're not spot on, you need to work out exactly which frame you've landed on.

An alternative, if you have not yet accosted Cobalion and saved, would be to exit the cave and find yourself a frame 1 seed.

cannibaleyes

Holier Than Thou
Walking does not work like you think. Steps don't always advance by 2 in areas with wild Pokemon.

Current Frame = (21/10)*Steps + 2*Turns + Calculated Initial PID Frame

That's the approximate formula and if you don't know how to use that formula you should avoid IV frames higher than 1.

EDIT: Also that formula approximates your PID frame only if you have no Pokemon in the daycare. If you have 2 Pokemon in the daycare the 21/10 becomes 377/170.

EDIT2: 324 is really pushing it close. Turns don't advance the PIDRNG while running. Assuming your Calculated initial Frame is about 50 or less you could use a repel and run 100 steps then walk the last 28 steps. I'm sure you can walk 28 steps and only do about 2 turns, right?
If you have a Calculated initial Frame of 50 and you did 2 turns that would put you at about (21/10)*128+2*2+50=322.

So 324 might not be doable. Depends on what your Calculated initial Frame is and how many turns you need.
Ninja'd. Listen to Jolteon, he knows what he's talking about.

Yeah, you will want to do a frame much higher than 300-something if you're not using an IV frame of 1. I'd say more in the 400 or 500-range, at least.

Also, have you calculated your starting frame? (Or is that what you're trying to find?)

Kailassa

Nanna Ninetales
Jolteon, I found a nice spread for my roamer, (Timid, 31/30/30/31/31/31 Ice 70,) and was wondering if you think it might work.

IVRNG frame 5,
Nearest shiny frame 806,
Initial PIDRNG frame 51
Date is a Summer month, Feb 2011.

If I ran 128 steps inside the cottage with a party of 4, what formula should I use to calculate the PIDRNG advances?

Or do I need to find an IVRNG frame of 1?

Last edited:

jolteon135

Jolteon, I found a nice spread for my roamer, (Timid, 31/30/30/31/31/31 Ice 70,) and was wondering if you think it might work.

IVRNG frame 5,
Nearest shiny frame 806,
Initial PIDRNG frame 51
Date is a Summer month, Feb 2011.

If I ran 128 steps inside the cottage with a party of 4, what formula should I use to calculate the PIDRNG advances?

Or do I need to find an IVRNG frame of 1?
You don't need IV Frame 1 but it would really make it less of a headache for you. You don't need any formula to approximate the PIDRNG advances because we can't predict how the rain will advance your frames. You'll just have to hit your seed, walk 128 steps and run out, Mash A through the roamer scene and go catch it to find out what frame you're hitting. You should be able to consistently get the same nature/characteristic.

Tip: Make sure the season changes to summer before you enter the house. Do that so that there's no season change when you exit the house. That will make it slightly easier for you. Your starting frame will probably be somewhere in the 500s if you do that.