• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

*Revamped RNG Discussion/Help Thread [Do not ask about Gen 6 RNG]

I've never done any Entralink rnging, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the lack of c-gear seeds completely changes it, right?

They're saying it's much easier to pull off now, though I'm not sure how the process goes. I'd imagine it's the same as standard abuse now with a few twists since turning the C-Gear on advances the IVRNG by 2.

This got found out not too long ago, putting it here: Timer0 (unsurprisingly) is back with a vengeance this time around. Timer0 in retail carts for BW2 is more unstable (link to chiizu's post). I thought BW's Timer0s could be aggrivating, 5 Timer0s on one cart, that's ridiculous.

They're saying it's much easier to pull off now, though I'm not sure how the process goes. I'd imagine it's the same as standard abuse now with a few twists since turning the C-Gear on advances the IVRNG by 2.

This got found out not too long ago, putting it here: Timer0 (unsurprisingly) is back with a vengeance this time around. Timer0 in retail carts for BW2 is more unstable (link to chiizu's post). I thought BW's Timer0s could be aggrivating, 5 Timer0s on one cart, that's ridiculous.

Chiizu did note that there was one that he/she hit more frequently though. Still, five timer0's suck :/

Phoenix_85x

Phantom Gengar
Did you paste that seed into the main window for the PIDRNG to get the frame which yields a Jolly Fraxure? Your Fraxure's slot may be on a different PID frame than your starting frame.

I actually have no idea. Are you supposed to use PIDRNG for non-shiny wilds? I am using gen 5 standard seed. And are you supposed to paste the seed into the main window while RNGing for non-shiny wilds?

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
I really need to ask this so i can progress my rng expansion cuaz im still rngin this damn bellsprout and i double triple checked everything is correct and it was...my question is why am i hitting the time correct but i still keep getting really off pokes for to figure out how many chatot summarys i have to see? I rnged plenty enough egg pokes so it can't be the timer and this one being hard? is it me or am i just doing something wrong? or is the timer just really not liking me?...its just really strange...

Aegon

Just did my first RNG ever on HGSS, and it was my ID :D
Stoked to try and get a shiny roamer or 3
Speaking of ID/SID abuse, I've just figured out that I incorrectly RNGed my HG ID/SID combo. >_> I accidentally typed in the seed, rather than the frame's PID. I'm not going to restart now, since I'm at Pryce. I had planned on playing through twice, anyway, since HGSS are so short.

I really need to ask this so i can progress my rng expansion cuaz im still rngin this damn bellsprout and i double triple checked everything is correct and it was...my question is why am i hitting the time correct but i still keep getting really off pokes for to figure out how many chatot summarys i have to see? I rnged plenty enough egg pokes so it can't be the timer and this one being hard? is it me or am i just doing something wrong? or is the timer just really not liking me?...its just really strange...
It's likely your timer0 and/or WNPCs. Do the results match up with any nearby PID frames?

I actually have no idea. Are you supposed to use PIDRNG for non-shiny wilds? I am using gen 5 standard seed. And are you supposed to paste the seed into the main window while RNGing for non-shiny wilds?

Yeah, the PIDRNG determines Natures/Encounter Slot/Shininess. The main window will tell you what frame has what if you paste the seed into it, and don't forget to click "Calculate Starting PID frame" when you do. From there, use Chatots with a custom Chatter or walk around in the cave with a Repel (Chatot will advance 1 frame for each summary, walking or turning in the cave advances 2 frames each turn/step).

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
Speaking of ID/SID abuse, I've just figured out that I incorrectly RNGed my HG ID/SID combo. >_> I accidentally typed in the seed, rather than the frame's PID. I'm not going to restart now, since I'm at Pryce. I had planned on playing through twice, anyway, since HGSS are so short.

I'm not the only one who did that! I felt so stupid. DX Of course, I lost my HG, so I may as well go get a SS when I go get games tomorrow.

Phoenix_85x

Phantom Gengar
Yeah, the PIDRNG determines Natures/Encounter Slot/Shininess. The main window will tell you what frame has what if you paste the seed into it, and don't forget to click "Calculate Starting PID frame" when you do. From there, use Chatots with a custom Chatter or walk around in the cave with a Repel (Chatot will advance 1 frame for each summary, walking or turning in the cave advances 2 frames each turn/step).

Thanks for the help! Also, i finally found my SID, which means i can RNG shinies now.

EDIT: So many problems with RNG, but i know that the outcome will be well worth it!
I tried to RNG a shiny terrakion (i didn't save after catching the non-shiny flawless terrakion before) and i did everything correctly, but it didn't work (and i used the calculate initial PIDRNG frame on the main window to find out my ISF).
I did a test to see if my theory was correct (that something is wrong with keypresses) and searched for a seed for a shiny jolly terrakion with completely random IVs, but with no keypresses.
I calculated my chatters, hit the seed, caught it and checked it's IVs.
The IVs where exactly like the ones i got from my seed, and it was shiny!
The terrakion i caught before (non-shiny flawless) also had a seed with no keypresses.

So now i am asking, does it matter if i press the keys too early?
for example: My keypresses are select + X + A.
When i start my game (after changing time/date), i hold the select and the X buttons.
When the time comes, i hold A and start the game (pressing A starts the game).
I keep holding them until pokemon company/nintendo comes.

Last edited:

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
Thanks for the help! Also, i finally found my SID, which means i can RNG shinies now.

EDIT: So many problems with RNG, but i know that the outcome will be well worth it!
I tried to RNG a shiny terrakion (i didn't save after catching the non-shiny flawless terrakion before) and i did everything correctly, but it didn't work (and i used the calculate initial PIDRNG frame on the main window to find out my ISF).
I did a test to see if my theory was correct (that something is wrong with keypresses) and searched for a seed for a shiny jolly terrakion with completely random IVs, but with no keypresses.
I calculated my chatters, hit the seed, caught it and checked it's IVs.
The IVs where exactly like the ones i got from my seed, and it was shiny!
The terrakion i caught before (non-shiny flawless) also had a seed with no keypresses.

So now i am asking, does it matter if i press the keys too early?
for example: My keypresses are select + X + A.
When i start my game (after changing time/date), i hold the select and the X buttons.
When the time comes, i hold A and start the game (pressing A starts the game).
I keep holding them until pokemon company/nintendo comes.

I'm not really sure if the game registers the keypresses that early or not. I would recommend trying both ways (holding the keys before and pressing and holding after) to see if it's actually the problem.

SterlingEnigma

I have a quick question about Emerald RNG. I know this is supposed to be a gen 5 discussion but I cant seem to find a thread for gen 3 RNG...

Is it possible to get shinies of different species in the same route from the same frame? My cousin wants a shiny Ralts but in route 102 I only seem to find shiny Poochyena when I hit the first shiny frame RNG reporter gives me. I'd rather not have to use one of my later frames and have to wait 5+ minutes each reset.

Phoenix_85x

Phantom Gengar
I found out the problem!! I feel so proud of my shiny terrakion!
Anyway, i found out that if you press A button to start the game, then it won't count as a held button, even if you hold it afterwards.
But if you hold all the buttons and start the game by touching the screen, then it will be okay.

Also, how is it possible to RNG cave spot (drillbur/excadrill) pokemon? As well as surf spot and shaking grass pokemon?
My only guess is that their starting frame isn't 1 and the cave spot will appear only after i advance the frame to that number.
I also think that the pokemon is generated when the spot appears, and not when you battle the pokemon.
Am i wrong or am i wrong with that theory/hypothesis?

Last edited:

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
I found out the problem!! I feel so proud of my shiny terrakion!
Anyway, i found out that if you press A button to start the game, then it won't count as a held button, even if you hold it afterwards.
But if you hold all the buttons and start the game by touching the screen, then it will be okay.

Huh. That's odd. That's how I do it, and it works all the time, unless you mean pressing A and not releasing it. Glad you figured out your problem though.

Also, how is it possible to RNG cave spot (drillbur/excadrill) pokemon? As well as surf spot and shaking grass pokemon?
My only guess is that their starting frame isn't 1 and the cave spot will appear only after i advance the frame to that number.
I also think that the pokemon is generated when the spot appears, and not when you battle the pokemon.
Am i wrong or am i wrong with that theory/hypothesis?

Yeah, the PID frame can be higher than normal, so you'd need to look for higher frames. The IV frame could possibly be more than 1 depending on whether or not you trip the step counter, so that's something to look out for. I haven't done it, so I don't know the specifics.

Phoenix_85x

Phantom Gengar
Huh. That's odd. That's how I do it, and it works all the time, unless you mean pressing A and not releasing it. Glad you figured out your problem though.

Yeah, the PID frame can be higher than normal, so you'd need to look for higher frames. The IV frame could possibly be more than 1 depending on whether or not you trip the step counter, so that's something to look out for. I haven't done it, so I don't know the specifics.

Yeah, that's what i meant (or at least tried to mean). To press A and not release it afterwards.

PID frame is the same as shiny frame, right? And i forgot that the regular frame (IV frame) only controls IVs while the PID/SF controls almost everything else.
But it somehow doesn't seem correct. To advance the PID, you need to walk or chatter (the two most common ways to advance the frame), but if you chatter up to your target frame, then how will the dust cloud appear? I thought it only appeared while moving, since it would seem odd if it appeared while your character stands still.
Anyway, i RNGed a shiny ferrothorn (near-flawless), and RNGing is a lot easier than what i thought!

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
Yeah, that's what i meant (or at least tried to mean). To press A and not release it afterwards.

Ah. That would be a problem.

PID frame is the same as shiny frame, right? And i forgot that the regular frame (IV frame) only controls IVs while the PID/SF controls almost everything else.
But it somehow doesn't seem correct. To advance the PID, you need to walk or chatter (the two most common ways to advance the frame), but if you chatter up to your target frame, then how will the dust cloud appear? I thought it only appeared while moving, since it would seem odd if it appeared while your character stands still.
Anyway, i RNGed a shiny ferrothorn (near-flawless), and RNGing is a lot easier than what i thought!

You need to move to get the dust cloud/shaking grass/ripple to appear, which should advance the PID frame. Then you advance to the PID frame you need to get. That's why you need to search for higher PID frames than normal, because you can't hit lower ones.

Phoenix_85x

Phantom Gengar
Ah. That would be a problem.

You need to move to get the dust cloud/shaking grass/ripple to appear, which should advance the PID frame. Then you advance to the PID frame you need to get. That's why you need to search for higher PID frames than normal, because you can't hit lower ones.

Oh, that explains it, thanks!

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
thanks i figured out what it was i had the wrong pid frame i was going off the chatot frame with not hitting the precise time to hit the shiny seed the same time :/...thanks for the help guys...due to black and white two coming out soon ill be waiting since move tutors are back not to learn the egg portion of hg and ss...ill just learn the wild and stationary pokes...so i can get some shiny legendaries...so once ill be starting...ill be asking help from here...

likethesky

I like shiny things
Decided I should try RNGing. Should I use my sister's DSi or my 3DS? And obviously, I'm going to fail this.

Phoenix_85x

Phantom Gengar
I just heard that RNGing eggs in BW2 will be different since there will be wandering NPCs at the day care.
Anyway, i decided to try out Smogon's guide for RNGing, but it didn't go as well as i thought.
First of all, i don't know where my target frame is nor what it is. I don't know the IVs of the pokemon and the guide didn't explain quite well.

http://i49.*******.com/qpsarn.png

This is the screen after i followed the steps on the guide. But it doesn't look close to the one sin the guide at all.
The guide told me to use gen 5 PIDRNG in time finder (they said method 5 PIDRNG but i think they meant gen 5 PIDRNG) but the picture in the guide is from a standard seed search.
Also, does anyone have a good guide for RNGing non-shiny wild pokemons?

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
I just heard that RNGing eggs in BW2 will be different since there will be wandering NPCs at the day care.
Anyway, i decided to try out Smogon's guide for RNGing, but it didn't go as well as i thought.
First of all, i don't know where my target frame is nor what it is. I don't know the IVs of the pokemon and the guide didn't explain quite well.

Nah, there are wandering NPCs in BW too, so that's the same. You'll definitely need to know your Pokemon's IVs before searching for eggs, since three of the egg's IVs will come from the parents.

http://i49.*******.com/qpsarn.png
This is the screen after i followed the steps on the guide. But it doesn't look close to the one sin the guide at all.
The guide told me to use gen 5 PIDRNG in time finder (they said method 5 PIDRNG but i think they meant gen 5 PIDRNG) but the picture in the guide is from a standard seed search.

What version of RNG Reporter are you using? There should be a tab specifically for eggs on 9.95(I think. I'm using the alpha version of the new one so I don't know for sure), so that's what you should be using. Method 5 PIDRNG should only be used on the main menu for finding shifting starting frames.

Also, does anyone have a good guide for RNGing non-shiny wild pokemons?

It's essentially the same as finding shiny wild/stationary Pokemon. Just don't click the shiny box, and you'll only get non-shiny results.