• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

*Revamped RNG Discussion/Help Thread [Do not ask about Gen 6 RNG]

Kalosian

So long
Hi guys I'm still trying to figure out how to RNG. At the moment I'm trying to RNG a shiny Cobalion. Anyway I'm still really confused about the process involved in advancing frames etc. Looking at the screen below it says that the Target Frame is on 264 and the shiny frame is on 193. According to the guide I looked at I'm supposed to calculate the following:

(Target frame) -(Initial frame) -(Starting frame) +1 =Advances required.

The only problem is that I'm having trouble trying to identify the initial frame and the starting frame. I understand that the +1 is referring to the results in the collaboration process -I'm currently using a dslite and I got the same result.

Here's a screen shot which displays the target frame I want to hit:

Now I'm not sure if I'm reading your photo right, but if you have an IV Frame of 264, you need to find a seed with a lower frame as 264 is way too high. I recommend you to lower it to 1-7, preferably 1 to make it as easy as possible for yourself.

And I also have a question. I read on Smogon that some (NPC-free, I assume) areas in B/W2 have Random PID advancements (like Kyurem's cave, something I noticed while RNGing it earlier today). Are there any other known areas where this happens?

Ausgirl

Now I'm not sure if I'm reading your photo right, but if you have an IV Frame of 264, you need to find a seed with a lower frame as 264 is way too high. I recommend you to lower it to 1-7, preferably 1 to make it as easy as possible for yourself.

And I also have a question. I read on Smogon that some (NPC-free, I assume) areas in B/W2 have Random PID advancements (like Kyurem's cave, something I noticed while RNGing it earlier today). Are there any other known areas where this happens?

OK I guess I can try doing another search. Anyway do I have to right-click on the above seed to calculate the initial frame? or do I have to right click once I've copied the seed onto the main window? Thanks for helping. I swear that this is borderline on crazy obsessive lol.

Kalosian

So long
OK I guess I can try doing another search. Anyway do I have to right-click on the above seed to calculate the initial frame? or do I have to right click once I've copied the seed onto the main window? Thanks for helping. I swear that this is borderline on crazy obsessive lol.
Once you have found the seed you want to use, copy it and paste it into the main window in RNG Reporter. Then, select Gen 5 PIDRNG in the dropdown menu. Also be sure to check the boxes for B/W2 if you are using either of those games and Memory Link if you have activated it. Then, press Calculate Initial PIDRNG Frame and you will get where your PID frame is starting. Then you can simply see how many advances you need to do in order to reach your desired PID frame, but beware if there are NPCs in the area as you are likely going to need to check how many frames they advance before doing your real advancements.

And don't worry about feeling like a total newbie about all of this, I'm sure all of us experienced RNGers did at some point too.

Just Kyurem's cave from what I can tell. I've noticed that occasionally some areas will be off by 1 frame or something, but that's easily compensated for (basically in areas with NPCs, not necessarily wandering ones).

Beck

Soul Suckin' Jerk
So cool to see this thread still being used.

Quick question. If I'm searching for a HP Fighting IV spread that's shiny with a certain nature and ability, is there any reason RNG reporter wouldn't be able to find it? I've searched in various years. Is it just not gonna work because of my ID and SID combination, or is it just really rare? Any way to tell? Using an international ditto parent because of genderless pokemon too, btw.

So cool to see this thread still being used.

Sadly, not as often as it used to be.

Quick question. If I'm searching for a HP Fighting IV spread that's shiny with a certain nature and ability, is there any reason RNG reporter wouldn't be able to find it? I've searched in various years. Is it just not gonna work because of my ID and SID combination, or is it just really rare? Any way to tell? Using an international ditto parent because of genderless pokemon too, btw.

Hmm, that's odd. Are you searching using a particular Atk IV, or do the parents have bad IVs, or what?

I have one parent with 31/31/30 because I'm doing a 31/31/30/30/30/30 spread. I don't have a good Ditto, I just RNG twice all the time. Once to get a half perfect one, again to do the perfect one (On this one I do shininess and etc.) but I just haven't found any seeds, it's weird. I've been searching for a few hours.. Would it help to get better IVs or something? I'm actually using another computer to look for seeds as well. But neither have found anything.. On that one I'm not using a Ditto because of egg moves, and I have a parent with 31/31/31/x/31/31 and am needing 31/x/31/31/31/31. I have my Min advances set to 10 and max advances set to 200, am I doing it too low or something? I've actually not RNGed a shiny perfect pokemon before, just shiny ones with whatever IVs. This is Generation V.

EDIT: In Pokemon White (1) does anyone know if there are any frame advancements around the stationary Pokemon Zekrom, Kyurem, Landorus, or Terrakion? (I know there are moving NPCs around Landorus, but, anything else?) The only reason I ask is because of the random frame advancement in Kyurem's cave in White 2.

Last edited:
I have one parent with 31/31/30 because I'm doing a 31/31/30/30/30/30 spread. I don't have a good Ditto, I just RNG twice all the time. Once to get a half perfect one, again to do the perfect one (On this one I do shininess and etc.) but I just haven't found any seeds, it's weird. I've been searching for a few hours.. Would it help to get better IVs or something? I'm actually using another computer to look for seeds as well. But neither have found anything.. On that one I'm not using a Ditto because of egg moves, and I have a parent with 31/31/31/x/31/31 and am needing 31/x/31/31/31/31. I have my Min advances set to 10 and max advances set to 200, am I doing it too low or something? I've actually not RNGed a shiny perfect pokemon before, just shiny ones with whatever IVs. This is Generation V.

EDIT: In Pokemon White (1) does anyone know if there are any frame advancements around the stationary Pokemon Zekrom, Kyurem, Landorus, or Terrakion? (I know there are moving NPCs around Landorus, but, anything else?) The only reason I ask is because of the random frame advancement in Kyurem's cave in White 2.

I would try to get the bottom half of the IV spread as well to get better results, there is a wandering non-player character where Landorus is but it stops when you battle it, however if you defeat it and leave Abundant shrine it'll start moving again, and you can't do anything about it, but other than that the rest are fine.

Like Quote said, try getting a better parent. Right now, you're basically looking for an egg that inherits all the IVs from one parent, and generating the other three from scratch.

Anything else? I got a seed yesterday, but I discovered my profile was a little messed up. :/

Got a better parent, and still looking for a seed...

Anything else? I got a seed yesterday, but I discovered my profile was a little messed up. :/

Got a better parent, and still looking for a seed...

If you're not using international parents it's best to have both parents to have the same IVs as the desired offspring, that way, you shouldn't have to do a search range longer than 100 chatters normally if you search through the months.

For Example:

espeontimefinder.png

I found this spread for a shiny DW Eevee by just using same-IVs parents I never used international parents for this one, you may need to search through multiple months since I was lucky to find this early.

Last edited:
I actually found a seed last night. The seeds always seem to pop out shortly before midnight. Thanks for the info though! I'll remember that next time. And actually, I was using international parents even though I don't have one.. Will that mess up my shininess? I'm just gonna try it anyway, it was on my non-IV'd one, so I don't have to worry about that, it just needs to learn a specific move for the egg. If it doesn't work, I'll go get one.

EDIT: Found a Japanese Shroomish (Shroomish can learn the egg move I need and pass it down) and it's Male. This shouldn't be too hard now, even though the seed is frame 437. :p
I use Chatot Chatters, so I can generally tell if it's it or not..

EDIT 2: I've hit the seed twice.. I have gotten the same thing with the wrong nature and wrong IVs and wrong Hidden Power... D: It was shiny, though..
How do I fix this now?

EDIT 3: FINALLY. I did two less Chatot frames and it worked... Somehow... YES!

Thanks for the tips! I'll remember those next time!

Last edited:
Hi guys im new here and also new to RNGing, Iv been trying to RNG a mienfoo for like a day now near Route 22 on black 2, Iv been trying to calibrate my ds accurately but iv been getting timer0 from 1103 to 1108 (with 1103 and 1106 most frequent). However after trying many. ,many times iv been left quite fustrated.

A few quick questions: Do i really need Chatots to RNG in black and white 2? or is it just to make the process a whole lot more efficient?
I understand the ds lite has a delay of approximately 1 second, for example if the time to hit on my RNGreporter to 00:00:30 should i launch the game at 00:00:29 when the second arm hits 29 second or when it hits exactly at 30 seconds.

Hi guys im new here and also new to RNGing, Iv been trying to RNG a mienfoo for like a day now near Route 22 on black 2, Iv been trying to calibrate my ds accurately but iv been getting timer0 from 1103 to 1108 (with 1103 and 1106 most frequent). However after trying many. ,many times iv been left quite fustrated.

A few quick questions: Do i really need Chatots to RNG in black and white 2? or is it just to make the process a whole lot more efficient?
I understand the ds lite has a delay of approximately 1 second, for example if the time to hit on my RNGreporter to 00:00:30 should i launch the game at 00:00:29 when the second arm hits 29 second or when it hits exactly at 30 seconds.

Yeah, if you're using a DS Lite or DS Original, start the game about one second before, so if bit's 00:00:30, 00:00

RNGing is much easier on Black/White 1 then 2, if you have Black or White 1, I would use that. And yes, you need Chatots, at least, it's the easiest way I know of. If you don't have one or a Generation IV game, just ask for one in the Generation V trade forum.

Finding your parameters is also easier because of there being fewer Timer0s.
I find it easier to breed Pokemon than to find them in the wild grass, but that's my personal preference, and it takes a little while to figure out. (I actually have no idea how to get the right Pokemon when RNGing in the grass xD)

Anything else?